• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Randy Pitchford: Wii U Aliens Colonial Marines is best looking version

Good to hear but let's hope that in a year or two when both the next Xbox and Playstation come out that the Wii U isn't getting watered down ports again and the tech being outdated early on.
If those two systems can run UE4 at reasonable fidelity, and their lighting tech works on them?

WiiU could get left in the dust very easily. It won't be the same dust the Wii got left in, I doubt either have any more than 2-3x the RAM (3-6 gigs). Ports will likely still be possible, but the differences may end up being stark. That of course is if 3rd party games sell on the system. If they sell and sell well? They won't leave the WiiU out of the equation no matter what compromises are needed.

If it means using UE3.9 all generation or Crytek's latest (already confirmed to run) they'll do it.

Money is money man.

If those two systems can run UE4 at reasonable fidelity, and their lighting tech works on them?

WiiU could get left in the dust very easily. It won't be the same dust the Wii got left in, I doubt either have any more than 2-3x the RAM (3-6 gigs). Ports will likely still be possible, but the differences may end up being stark. That of course is if 3rd party games sell on the system. If they sell and sell well? They won't leave the WiiU out of the equation no matter what compromises are needed.

If it means using UE3.9 all generation or Crytek's latest (already confirmed to run) they'll do it.

Money is money man.

True but I'm not so sure Nintendo can lure people back to their console that decided to drop the Wii in favor of the Xbox 360 and PS3. They might hold off and take a wait and see approach until the other new systems come out. From my own perspective of owning both a PS3 and Xbox 360 I will say I am intrigued by the Wii U, but if Nintendo can't get their **** together when it comes to online gaming and we continue to see huge gaps in major releases I too may hold off.

Effect

I think it's wrong to assume people just left the Wii. It's more likely people got PS3 and/or 360 in addition to the Wii because the Wii didn't satisfy them. If the Wii U can provide the Nintendo IPs people like in addition to having 3rd party content why wouldn't that pull people back?

Personally I know it will for me. I don't want to own mutliple consoles anymore. I don't have the time or desire to spend the money. Nintendo IPs are my favorite and 3rd parties are just a big bonus int he end going forward.

I think it's wrong to assume people just left the Wii. It's more likely people got PS3 and/or 360 in addition to the Wii because the Wii didn't satisfy them. If the Wii U can provide the Nintendo IPs people like in addition to having 3rd party content why wouldn't that pull people back?

Personally I know it will for me. I don't want to own mutliple consoles anymore. I don't have the time or desire to spend the money. Nintendo IPs are my favorite and 3rd parties are just a big bonus int he end going forward.

It all depends on how interesting it is playing with the new controller because that will be the deciding factor for many. If the system is pretty much the same as the PS3 and Xbox 360 then why would people come back? Especially when they will also have new consoles coming out soon that is likely to be better (technically) than the Wii U.

We all know Nintendo IP's are what drives the systems and why consumers keep coming back. The question was mainly about the 3rd party games and whether or not this new system will entice gamers to choose this system or not that stopped playing the Wii or never got one.

I am starting to change my tune though when it comes to graphics and how powerful systems are. I think the game industry isn't growing as it should be and that's largely based on taking less risks and too much money spent on marketing.

Yeah... we'll see how things really pan out soon enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if most multi platform Wii U launch titles look slightly better than current gen versions, some look the same, and a few actually perform worse in some aspects.

In the months leading up to the PS3 launch, there was all sorts of talk about the PS3 versions looking the best... and we all know how that turned out!

Vinci

Danish
sad_dog.jpg

This made this thread worth reading. Thanks.

Apocryphon

Non-Wii U versions delayed until Feb 2013....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-marines-delayed-to-2013-new-trailer-released

Aliens: Colonial Marines has once again been delayed.

It is due out globally on 12th February 2013. It had been due out in the autumn 2012.

The new release date applies to the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game. A release date for the Wii U version will be revealed "at a later time", publisher Sega said.

"I am thrilled to announce the definitive launch date for Aliens: Colonial Marines," Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford said.

"Aliens: Colonial Marines is the culmination of a life-time of inspiration from the films and relentless passion and drive from the exceptionally talented development team behind the scenes."

"We knew this game would be incredible from the moment Gearbox began developing Aliens: Colonial Marines," said, Gary Knight, Senior Vice President of Marketing for SEGA Europe and SEGA of America. "Now that the title is in its final stretch of development, we can confidently release the exact date that gamers will finally get to experience this blockbuster thrill-ride."

Is it supposed to be a Wii U launch title?

Effect

They don't need to be able to take more bullets. They just need to be faster and really try to kill you. Also, quick time events like holding and trowing away an alien shouldn't be in the game at all!

Hmm. Sad that is in the game at all or even a consideration. If one of the aliens gets within melee range and you aren't in a position to shoot it right away you should be dead. Period.

EDarkness

Man, it's hard to believe that after all of that talk, it's possible that the Wii U version won't even be coming out at all. Damn shame, really.

Camjo-Z

what

Two different things are going on between the two.... The "FINAL" sequence even looks more detailed than the demo sequence.

If I'm not mistaken, they are the exact same area, but the final version doesn't have any aliens to fight in it.

?oe?oe

LOL, it wouldn't be hard to beat.

Edit: Damn, this is an old thread. How did this game look worse and worse after each showing?

Xbudz

So those lucky stoners over at Gearbox were given a Durango dev kit, made the Aliens demo on it- convinced Sega to give more moneyz while they put it all into Borderlands 2 and Border Worlds on Durango. When Durango was delayed until 2013, they were forced to release this bugged out unfinished POS game... while the real demo version may never be seen again.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
"Aliens: Colonial Marines is the culmination of a life-time of inspiration from the films and relentless passion and drive from the exceptionally talented development team behind the scenes."

"We knew this game would be incredible from the moment Gearbox began developing Aliens: Colonial Marines," said, Gary Knight, Senior Vice President of Marketing for SEGA Europe and SEGA of America. "Now that the title is in its final stretch of development, we can confidently release the exact date that gamers will finally get to experience this blockbuster thrill-ride."

This is why I struggle to believe PR speak. We've seen the final product and now these stories are coming out about Sega threatening Gearbox and giving them a 9 month extension to finish the game. I know Sega couldn't afford to delay the game much longer but now look, sales are going to be arse anyway. I really can't understand how a game in this state dan pass Sony and MS quality control and how it can go 'Gold' if it's a steaming pile of turd.

Man I am bitter, never in my 30+ years of gaming have I anticipated a game for so long. To be let down after this 6+ year wait..... disappointed is an understatement.

Top Bottom