• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rank the Disney "Renaissance"-era films (1989-1999)

yrba1

It's easier to say which ones suck.

Pocahontas
Hercules
Tarzan

Hades-animated-gif-disney-villains-38395346-500-250.gif

1. Tarzan
2. Aladdin
3. Lion King
4. Mulan
5. Little Mermaid
6. Beauty and the Beast
7. Hunchback of Notre Dame
8. Hercules
9. Pocahontas
10. Rescuers

A big gap between 4 and 5 and 7 and 8.

Best wishes.

kunonabi

on a side note is that the only Hercules poster? It sticks out like a sore thumb next to the rest of those posters.

All you people ranking Aladdin below Lion King are wrong.
Lion King is a little overrated imo. And I say this having seen the movie 4 times in theatres when it came out in 3D.

Scar is great, the animation is gorgeous but Simba is bland as hell and Timon and Pumbaa are the first obnoxious Disney comic relief of the 90s era. I also don't care that much for the songs, but the score is beautiful.

B&TB gets slept on a lot and it's by far Disney's most emotionally satisfying movie. The highs in Lion King are higher but it can't help interrupting itself with fart jokes. Hunchback has a similar problem.

Eylos

Banned
As a kid i would say Lion king It was my favorite, and as an grown man i still find Very interesting How they adapted Hamlet to a child movie with animals.

But as an overall message and movie i like Mulan more.

How DARE YOU exclude A Goofy Movie. Easily one of the best.

1) Aladdin
2) Lion King
3) A Goofy Movie
4) Mulan
5) Beauty and the Beast
6) The Little Mermaid
7) Hercules
8) Tarzan
9) Pocahantas
10) The Hunchback of Notredame

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
1. Aladdin
2. The Little Mermaid
3. A Goofy Movie
4. Lion King
5. Tarzan
6. DuckTales The Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp
7. Beauty and the Beast
8. Mulan
9. The Rescuers Down Under
10. Hercules
11. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
12. Pocahontas

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Ehh, Rank the 00' Disney films if you want a challenge. Talk about a mix bag.

1. Lilo & Stich
2. Treasure Planet
3. The Emperor's New Groove
4. Atlantis

The rest I didn't enjoy or didn't watch.

Let's talk about Treasure Planet though. It's an underrated movie, and sadly the last traditionally animated Disney movie that really excited me. Home on the Range looked like garbage and there was just 1 other after that...

1. Beauty and the Beast
2. The Lion King
3. Aladdin
4. Mulan

5. The Little Mermaid
6. Hunchback
7. Tarzan
8. Hercules

9. Pocahontas

(never saw Rescuers)

First four are amazing and are essentially tied for 1st for me. Pocahontas was really mediocre. Maybe it felt even worse to me because I saw it when I was doing a little Disney marathon, and going from Beast, Aladdin, and Lion King to Pocahontas, you could FEEL the drop in quality.

hollomat

Banned
Don't understand all the hate for hunchback. It's doing something much different than the others (hideous protagonist who does not get the girl) but I like it.

kunonabi

Lilo & Stich is amazing and up there with the best of the renaissance. Bolt is decent and better than anything else they've put out post Lilo & Stitch aside from maybe Moana.

The rest don't matter.

Pancake Mix

Don't understand all the hate for hunchback. It's doing something much different than the others (hideous protagonist who does not get the girl) but I like it.

The Rescuers Down Under and Mulan also do that something different. I just feel they did that something different a lot better, and I don't even love Mulan (good film though, very good). The Lion King is a pure coming of age tale and a masterpiece.

Tarzan is kinda different too. There's a love story in there of course but it's more of a coming of age tale in my view.

Wanderer5

1. Beauty and the Beast
2. Lion King
3. Aladdin
4. Hunchback of Notre Dame
5. Little Mermaid
6. Mulan
7. The Rescuers Down Under
8. Tarzan
9. Hercules
10. Pocahontas

Bit tricky in the middle (and I haven't seen The Rescuers Down Under in a looooong while), and the only one that I wasn't really a fan of, is Pocahontas, and maybe Hercules, through there is a lot that I like about that one, it just also pretty weak as a whole.

For top 3, Lion King and Aladdin could probably swap at any time, but Beauty and the Beast is unmatched, and is probably my favorite Disney movie.

Pancake Mix

1. Princess and the frog

Who gives a shit about the rest.

Never watched it, and apparently I'm not alone, because despite it being a decent box office success, it was the final traditionally animated theatrical film from Disney. Edit: Wrong, second-to-last

So apparently people gave a shit about some of the rest instead :p

Neither of those are part of the renaissance. They're DisneyToon productions, they don't count.
Goofy Movie was co-produced by WDFA if you really want to be picky about it. It was essentially a pilot project to see if DisneyToon could match feature animation quality so they could support WDFA on major films.

zeemumu

1. Princess and the Frog
2. Lilo and Stitch
3. The Emperor's New Groove (purely for Yzma and Kronk)
4. Atlantis: The Lost Empire
5. Treasure Planet
6. Fantasia 2000
7. Brother Bear
8. Meet the Robinsons
9. Dinosaur
10. Home on the Range
11. Chicken Little

Never saw Bolt.

Emperor's New Groove is the only one worthy of note. The rest are absolutely terrible. It's either that or I just got too old for Disney animated films until Zootopia.

For some reason, Pixar never lost me. Sure, they've had some lows, like Brave, Cars and Good Dinosaur for me, but overall they've always appealed to me far more than Disney's work since the Renaissance.

Best wishes.

Never watched it, and apparently I'm not alone, because despite it being a decent box office success, it was the final traditionally animated theatrical film from Disney.

So apparently people gave a shit about some of the rest instead :p
Actually, their final traditionally animated theatrical release was Winnie the Pooh in 2011, which was sent to die as it was competing against Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.

Neither of those are part of the renaissance. They're DisneyToon productions, they don't count.
It was a Disneytoon property, but by all production accounts, it is (and feels) like a renaissance film. It was written and storyboarded at the Buena Vista Feature lot, and animated at the Paris, France Feature wing, with final cleanup again supervised at the Burbank Feature lot. It is a WDAS film through and through.

Pancake Mix

Actually, their final traditionally animated theatrical release was Winnie the Pooh in 2011, which was sent to die as it was competing against Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.

We don't talk about Winnie the Pooh.

In all seriousness, I stand corrected, forgot that existed as I wasn't paying attention to Disney much at the time. Still been 6 years though..damn. Such a shame, I prefer traditional animation, especially in the Don Bluth style.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
1. A Goofy Movie
2. Mulan
3. Aladdin
4. BATB
5. Rescuers Down Under

I don't care to rank the rest, but Pocahontas is last.

This is based on my enjoyment of the movies:

1. The Lion King (God-tier forever. The opening is transcendent.)
2. Beauty and the Beast (Favorite princess movie.)
3. Tarzan (Music and villain are great.)
4. Hercules (Hades and the Muses make it.)
5. Hunchback (Opening is amazing.)
6. Mulan
7. Pocahontas (Has some of my favorite Disney songs.)
8. Aladdin
9. The Little Mermaid
10. Rescuers Down Under (Ugh.)

1. Treasure Planet
2. Atlantis
3. Lilo and Stitch
4. Emperor's New Groove

....and then whatever.

Emperor's New Groove is the only one worthy of note. The rest are absolutely terrible. It's either that or I just got too old for Disney animated films until Zootopia.

For some reason, Pixar never lost me. Sure, they've had some lows, like Brave, Cars and Good Dinosaur for me, but overall they've always appealed to me far more than Disney's work since the Renaissance.

Best wishes.
Either you haven't watched Lilo and Stitch, or this is the wrongest post of all time.

Lion King is a little overrated imo. And I say this having seen the movie 4 times in theatres when it came out in 3D.

Scar is great, the animation is gorgeous but Simba is bland as hell and Timon and Pumbaa are the first obnoxious Disney comic relief of the 90s era. I also don't care that much for the songs, but the score is beautiful.

B&TB gets slept on a lot and it's by far Disney's most emotionally satisfying movie. The highs in Lion King are higher but it can't help interrupting itself with fart jokes. Hunchback has a similar problem.

Yeah I agree with you. I was saying Lion King needs to he BELOW Aladdin

Dinosaur is like the fuckin Silence of movies because I can never remember it even existed until someone reminds me of it, and then as soon as that happens I go, "oh yeah, I forgot about that" and then I forget about it again until the next time I'm reminded of it.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
That seems needlessly exclusionary. They're animated Disney movies with theatrical budgets that were released within the given time frame. They deserve a place in the conversation, especially considering they're easily better than a few of the A-team Disney productions being given seats at the table here.

Pretty much release order.
I might switch around a couple of them, but release order works well enough.
Man did that ever go downhill quick.

Pancake Mix

That seems needlessly exclusionary. They're animated Disney movies with theatrical budgets that were released within the given time frame. They deserve a place in the conversation, especially considering they're easily better than a few of the A-team Disney productions on the table here.

A Goofy Movie and DuckTales the Movie were theatrical, sure, but they're from a different studio.

Disney themselves separate those films.

Beauty & The Beast
The Lion King
Aladdin
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Mulan
Tarzan
The Rescuers Down Under (though I'm not sure if it entirely counts, given that it isn't a musical and wasn't given a big push by Disney)
Hercules
The Little Mermaid (I appreciate it, but I'm not the biggest fan)
Pocahontas

Lilo & Stitch
The Emperor's New Groove
Bolt
Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Treasure Planet
Fantasia 2000
Meet The Robinsons
The Princess & The Frog
Dinosaur
Brother Bear
Home On The Range
Chicken Little

My ranking isn't entirely based on film quality. There's also some bias in factoring in how much fun I had during each film.

1. Lion King
2. Beauty and the Beast
3. Aladdin
4. The Little Mermaid
5. Mulan
6. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
7. Hercules
8. The Rescuers Down Under
9. Tarzan
10. Pocahontas

Honestly this was harder than I thought once I got past #5. I enjoy Hercules far more than Hunchback but I don't think it's as well put together of a film. Plus while Hades is fun to watch, Frollo's one of the most evil-ass dudes to spawn from that era. Rescuers Down Under would likely be higher but I've never actually seen it the whole way through, so I'm judging it mostly on its fantastic improvements over the original. And Pocahontas was just...just boring. It has a few nice songs going for it and nothing else.

I agree with your top 5. 6-10 I'd futz around with a bit, but I agree you once you get past 5 things get more difficult. I probably liked Tarzan and Hercules more than Hunchback and Rescuers. I agree Pocahontas is at the bottom.

On a side note that was kind of mentioned earlier, there are some god tier movie posters in that group. The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, The Lion King, and Beauty in the Beast would be some of the greatest movie posters I have ever seen, if it wasn't for the (non film title) text on them. I mean, the Aladdin and Lion King posters are just stunning.

1. Beauty and the Beast
2. Aladdin
3. The Little Mermaid
4. The Lion King
5. Mulan
6. Tarzan
7. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
8. Hercules
9. The Rescuers Down Under
10. Pocahontas

1. Princess and the Frog
2. Lilo and Stitch
3. The Emperor's New Groove (purely for Yzma and Kronk)
4. Atlantis: The Lost Empire
5. Treasure Planet
6. Fantasia 2000
7. Brother Bear
8. Meet the Robinsons
9. Dinosaur
10. Home on the Range
11. Chicken Little

Never saw Bolt.

Bolt would be up there fighting the top 3. I love Bolt. But then I'm a dog person.

Top Bottom