• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rank the Star Trek Series From Best to Worst

Best Star Trek series?

Results are only viewable after voting.
We've got a new Star Trek series, Discovery, coming soon though I thought it'd be interesting to see how people think the existing series stack up against each other. Give me your ranking and a brief discussion of why. Disagree and debate relative merits all you want.

You can include the animated series if you wish.

My personal ranking:

Best: The original Star Trek: This one just feels freshest and most energetic to me. Some of the plots definitely seem cliched, but part of that is that they were inventing those elements at the time and they've been used over and over. The Spock, McCoy and Kirk chemistry is some of the best of any show ever.

2: Star Trek: The Next Generation: This show had more complex plotlines and SF going on than the original series. It also had an arguably more nuanced and interesting captain in Picard. But there's a smooth jazz Kenny G feel to it that fails to get my blood pumping like the original.

3: Deep Space Nine: Deviated from the smooth jazz world to bring in some grit, some crime and some war. Interesting for the chances it took, such as being set on a space station instead of a ship.

4: Voyager: The gap between this and DS9 is large, BTW. Voyager was dull, uneventful and oh yeah, dull. At least Next Generation would cerebrally stimulate you. Voyager had the same smooth jazz Kenny G thing going on but all the brains were sucked out and replaced with technobabble. Also Neelix.

Worst: Enterprise: This is barely a Star Trek show for me. Not much to say because it didn't hold my interest long enough to get acquainted.

Deep Space 9
Voyager
Next Generation
Enterprise
The Original Series

There are only a handful of episodes of TOS that I can stand to watch today, otherwise it's too 60s kitch.

Voyager after they leave the Kazon behind is a great show. It's got a great cast of characters.

DS9 is really damn good once the war starts, though Sisko's actor is way too hammy.

TNG has a lot of standout episodes but also a lot of crap and it reeks of the 80s.

Enterprise season 3 and 4 is great. I love the Vulcan Arc.

bigkrev

Generally, Everyones top 3 is going to be TOS, TNG and DS9 in some order, and their bottom 2 will be VOY and ENT

For me, its
DS9
TNG
TOS
VOY
ENT

Sisko is the best captian, TNG is the best "Oh there is a random episode on TV, i'll watch it" show ever, TOS is cheesy but a fascinating piece of history, Voyager is very hit and miss where the highs don't match the lows, and Enterprise was a misguided attempt that only started to find its footing as it was being canceled.

DS9 gets extra points for basically having a modern TV season as it's "finale", with 10 interlocked episodes.

Rookhelm

TNG
DS9
TOS
Voy
Ent

The reason ToS isn't higher is because I much prefer the movies to the show, but I do realize its influence in sci fi

- J - D -

DS9 (My favorite cast and strikes the best tone of the bunch)
TNG (First 2 seasons are poor but TNG has my favorite Trek episodes)
TOS (Doesn't hold up, but has some classic episodes)
Voyager (Middling, but I like Janeway a lot)
Enterprise (Becomes good very late in the series when it no longer matters)

greatgeek

Banned
TNG--Not as compelling as DS9 generally, but more fun, watchable, and memorable.
DS9--Most compelling narratives. And Sisko is the best captain overall.
TOS--A mix of classics and duds.
VOY--Enough has been said about this.
ENT--Aside from its shitty ending, it was really improving, and I assume that it would have at least been better than Voyager if it continued.

1. The Next Generation: I love the captain and crew best, plus the serialized nature of the series makes repeat viewings much easier than DSN.

2. Deep Space Nine: Admittedly, this is very close to TNG, in terms of quality and cast, but it's much more plot-driven in later seasons, making rewatches a little more difficult. It also loses points for the now-standard religious/savior overtones that plague Ron Moore shows.

3. Original Series: It's full of cringe and does not hold up well at all, but it started the phenomenon and my love for the franchise. I could never go back and rewatch it, but the crew is iconic, and its legacy commands respect.

4. Voyager: Finished this for the first time a year ago, and it's mostly terrible, from beginning to end. The crew is just OK--with a couple of terribads (Neelix and Harry). Every episode has impossible stakes with deus ex machina conclusions. The way the series resolves is the most unsatisfying thing imaginable. Surprisingly, Seven, while clearly a thinly veiled ploy to inject sex appeal into the show, is a genuinely great character with a rich backstory and character growth.

Unranked: Enterprise. I've yet to give it a try.

El-Suave

Deep Space Nine (most compelling narrative and continuity)
Next Generation (hugely improved overall after the first season, and standout episodes)
Original Series (amazing for its time, iconic characters)
Voyager (showed lots of promise, if only it didn't drop so much in quality towards the end)
Enterprise (never really grabbed me)

Davey Cakes

I've only seen all of TNG and DS9. I'm working through Voyager right now, currently in Season 3. Unless Voyager improves greatly (I know it won't), the ranking will go like this.

1) DS9
2) TNG
3) Voyager

I mean, TNG probably has the highest highs, but I found myself more consistently enjoying DS9's setting and characters.

Voyager thus far is like watching those mid-to-low-tier TNG episodes, BUT THE ENTIRE SHOW IS LIKE THAT. I like it enough to continue, but not enough to call it one of my favorite shows ever like the other two.

1: DS9. Showed that the Federation actually had a fully blown dark side that TNG and TOS barely even touched. The Dominion war was fantastic, and had a fitting ending to it. And the one off episodes tended to be amazing for what they were.

2: TOS. The hammy feel to some of the episodes, Shatners strange acting, I'M A DOCTOR NOT A ******, it all just works so well.

3: Tie between TNG and Voyager. I think Voyages gets undue hate and TNG to much love. Janeway makes some really bad decisions from the start, and Picard has an inept crew since he has to point the direction they need to go constantly. Also, Wesley. Fuck that whiney little brat.

4: Enterprise. Ugh.

Almighty

DS9 - by far my favorite
TNG - some really good episodes, but the first season or two has not aged well at all
ENT - after this point it feels like trying to decide which pile of trash is worse
VOY

I have never seen past the first part of the first episode of TOS so I can't rate it. I keep telling myself I will get around to watching it, but every time I try I just can't get past how dated it looks.

wvnative

It's tough cause I actually love them all.

TNG
DS9 (very close second, almost tied)
ENT
VOY
TOS

TOS is just an age thing and shatner's overacting. I put ENT above VOY cause it makes more logistical sense than most of VOY, but I still love it. TNG and DS9 are essentially tied but TNG wins just cause Captain Picard

THIS IS THE CORRECT RANKING.

There will be others, of course, some very well reasoned, some not at all, because that is the way of things. But despite the best arguments to the contrary, what follows is the correct order of Star Trek series as graded by consistency, quality, and consistency of quality.

1) Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Probably the best ensemble cast assembled for any of the series, and the way the characterizations were developed over its seven seasons was almost Simpsons-esque in its ability to provide multiple dimensions to even the smallest peripheral characters. That hadn't happened on Star Trek to quite that degree before, and certainly not as well as it was done here. Plus this series contained the best writing the property's seen on television. Was this due to the producers and the writers largely setting aside all the bullshit inhibitions forced upon the storytelling via a slavish adherence to Gene Roddenberry's stupid fucking "rules" for the universe?

yes.

2) Star Trek: The Original Series
This ensemble doesn't act as well, or get to explore their characters as thoroughly, but what you lose there you gain in pure iconography. The Original Series got to be whatever the fuck it wanted to be from week to week, so the constants of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and to a lesser degree, Uhura, Sulu, Scotty, and Chekov, were that much more necessary to anchor the audience. And they were some amazing anchors as the show jumped genres & styles from week to week. This was as good as Roddenberry ever got as a storyteller, by the way, and that only lasted midway through the first season. This show ranks as high as it does due to the amazing work of contributors like DC Fontana and Gene Coon, who helped establish a tone that defined Star Trek more than anything.

3) Star Trek: The Next Generation
Next Gen suffers in comparison to the top two because it finds itself stuck between two incompatible storytelling notions (DS9's thematic adventurousness/Roddenberry's after-the-fact anti-drama rules), and was comfortable being stuck there for a lot of its run. The show feels held back for a lot of its run because it's attempting to adhere to dramatic "rules" that prevented its cast from digging into their roles outside of a few "very special episodes" sprinkled through each season. It's probably the most consistent of the series, in that outside of the first two seasons, there aren't a whole lot of straight up bad or befuddling episodes, but it also rarely broke its own (unnecessarily rigid) mold. It made for very comfortable Star Trek, but it also instilled in its audience a sort of fictional conservatism that helped speed the property's calcification as the cast moved to the big screen. It's also one of the ugliest looking shows in the canon, beaten on that front only by Voyager.

4) Star Trek: Voyager
What a confused, sputtering mess this show often is. There are good episodes, and there can be good characterization, but it's so hit and miss that this is a show best tackled with an episode guide and something to do when it inevitably starts annoying and/or boring the shit out of you. As mentioned before, the show is goddamned ugly, not just the designs, but the way it's lit and shot, as well. It's a seven-season slow-motion flail, sporadically grabbing hold of a concept and managing to wring some worth out of it, before slipping back into what often feels like a bad imitation of what someone might think Star Trek should be.

5) Star Trek: Enterprise
It's very similar to Voyager in the same sort of confused, annoying tone it often strikes, only with characters that are somehow less likable and/or interesting. The season three course correct is often what puts the show above Voyager in rankings like this, but I feel like that course-correct is not as effective as it often gets credit for, and even within that course correct, a lot of the same problems with the characterization are still there. By the end, the show felt like it finally had its footing, which is of course when it got killed. But I can't rate the show on its potential, only on what it pulled off, and as a whole, Enterprise just feels like a prickly, annoying misfire. It's hard to watch for most of its run.

DS9
TNG
TOS
VOY
ENT

Just finished a rewatch of TNG lately, after having done several rewatches of DS9 in the last decade or so. DS9 is just better and more consistent for longer. TNG starts poorly, peaks in seasons 3/4, then slowly declines over the back 3. DS9 is pretty solid by the end of season 1, is amazing midway through season 3, then maintains that excellence through season 6.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TNG
VOY
DS9

I need to rewatch DS9 though.

TNG is my 'home' Star Trek... I feel like Voyager was spiritually closest to it of the other two. Many, many homages and references back to the TNG-verse. I only got to watching Voyager recently, having been put off it by a lot of negative impressions... but I've ended up enjoying it a lot. It feels quite polished, dodgy CG aside.

I'll admit that the only one I've seen in its entirety is DS9 but I've seen at least a season's worth of episodes for every series. Here goes:

1) DS9 by far is the uncontested leader of the pack for me. Too bad the ending was pretty bad but it was an incredible ride nonetheless with my pals Bashir and Jadzia.

2) TOS
Very uneven but some excellent episodes like Balance of Terror and City on the Edge of Tomorrow which are simply sci-fi classics.

3) TNG
I must admit that aside from a few episodes here and there, I don't really see the appeal. Maybe it's because I watched it long after the fact. One of the ugliest shows I've ever seen and some really terrible episodes in the early seasons. The Borg stuff is okay I guess. Gets bonus points for the glory of Picard though.

4) Voyager
Kinda the reverse TNG for me. I love the effects and the visuals but it's just an incredibly dull show. Fuck Harry Kim and fuck Tom Paris.

5) Enterprise
I've heard it gets better later on but I didn't get very far. That goddamn intro song did me in.

I've never seen the animated series.

Fuck it, I'll rank the movies while I'm at it.

The Motion Picture (yes) > 2009 > The Undiscovered Country > Wrath of Khan > Beyond > Into Darkness > First Contact > The Voyage Home > Generations > Search for Spock > Nemesis > Insurrection > The Final Frontier

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
DS9 > TNG > TOS > VOY > ENT

TNG is my comfort Trek, but I recognize DS9 is more consistent, ambitious, and better executed in overall vision.

Camwi

1. Deep Space Nine - Easily my favorite and mostly because of the characters, their relationships, and the great acting.

Unlike other Star Trek series, there are so many great and memorable connections between characters, whether it be Benjamin and Jake, Jake and Nog, Kira and Odo, Odo and Quark, Bashir and O'Brien, Bashir and Garak, I could go on and on. They're really great, fleshed-out relationships that feel real.

Then you've got some great, hateable villians like Dukat and Kai Winn. Speaking of Dukat, he and Garak are two severely underrated acting roles.

Also, loved the war with the Dominion.

2. The Next Generation - Some great characters (Data probably being my favorite Star Trek character) and awesome storylines. Not much to complain about here, just a great show overall.

3. Voyager - While my wife and I can rewatch DS9 and TNG over and over again, neither of us have any desire to rewatch Voyager. There were a few great episodes sprinkled throughout the series, but overall the show was not memorable at all.

Speaking of memorable, on the Doctor was a great, memorable character. The others were either too vanilla and boring, or they were just lame.

Seven of Nine is the character that I really, really dislike from the show. She was not only boring, but after she appears, the show pretty much becomes the "We have a problem, Seven of Nine will fix it!" show. Bleh.

4. The Original Series - Maybe my feelings about the show would be different if I was alive and watched it when it originally aired, but watching it now, I couldn't even make it through the whole thing. The show has not aged well at all, in particular the awful pacing makes it hard for me to stay awake during a viewing.

N/A. Enterprise - Never seen it before, but the wife and I plan on watching it after we finish rewatching DS9. Heard it's not very good, but as big Star Trek fans, we at least have to give it a shot (plus it's not as long as most of the others).

EDIT - Nice to see so much love for DS9 here.

TNG is what Star Trek is for me. It's what I grew up on and it is what I identify it as now as an adult. That being said, I think that DS9 is better overall.

1. DS9
2. TNG
3. TOS

I can appreciate the TOS movies, but I find it way too difficult to appreciate the show itself as it's a product of its time and the production just doesn't do much for me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
1. Deep Space Nine. Most well rounded cast of character that didn't really fall into the pattern the other shows did of only focusing on a few characters. This show made outstanding use of it's main and supporting cast. Kept the Star Trek feel, while looking at it from a less utopian point of view.

2. The Next Generation. Once the show hit it's stride, it was amazing. Just took two seasons to get there. Lots of great characters, and really expanded the universe in a positive way.

3. The Original Series. Some of it has aged well, some of it has not. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are timeless, but in the end, I really prefer the TOS films to the series.

4. Voyager. Total waste of a great opportunity. Occasionally, but very rarely brilliant. The show was just a big let down.

5. Enterprise. At it's best, it was OK. The characters were all awful.

Fuchsdh

There's plenty of good episodes of Trek in each of the series, the difference is in consistency and the amount of bad surrounding it. In that sense, I think the ranking is TNG > DS9 > TOS > VOY > ENT, but there's great and terrible parts of all of them.

I do think VOY and ENT get far worse raps than they should.

woodypop

For those who have seen it, where would people place Star Trek: The Animated Series in their rankings?

I really like it, including the different theme music. The half-hour run time made for simpler/tighter stories. The recycled animations could get tiresome, but I got used to it. Impressive that the voice cast included many of the original actors, too.

EDIT: My ranking would be TOS, TAS, VOY, TNG, ENT. (Never watched DS9)

Sloane

Banned
1. DS9 --The only show that is still watchable today thanks to, you know, actually allowing conflict. Interesting themes, characters, and story arcs.
2. TNG -- For every great episode there is awful one. Lots of cringe, not only in season one but overall it's still enjoyabe.

Other than that, I don't really care. I hated Enterprise's setting, althought it became a somewhat decent show later on, Voyager was crap all along, and TOS, well, it probably was great at the time but I wasn't born back then so I wouldn't know.

TNG
DS9
TOS
Voy
Ent

The reason ToS isn't higher is because I much prefer the movies to the show, but I do realize its influence in sci fi

This. I could see the top 3 being mixed, but if you don't have VOY and ENT in your bottom two you're doing it wrong lol

BTails

For me, it will always be TOS first. Kirk, Spock and McCoy, as well as the rest of the cast were so strong, so likeable, that they feel like a part of your family. Other Trek shows may have better special effects, or serialized stories, or "very special episodes", but never did the crew feel as inviting as they did back in TOS. Not to mention the original had so many classic episodes that were revolutionary for television and science-fiction: stone-cold classics like Balance of Terror, The Menagerie, Arena, City on the Edge of Forever, The Doomsday Machine, Mirror Mirror, Trouble with Tribbles... The list goes on and on.

As for ranking the other shows, I would probably put them in chronological order: TNG, followed by DS9, VOY, and ENT.

KingK

1. DS9 - By far the best. I'm on the last season now and it's been amazing. Found it's rhythm pretty early on in the series and hasn't had any big dips in quality. The characters and their relationships are great, the plot, conflicts, and themes are great. Really it's become one of my favorite shows in general. Only minor issues I have are some of the acting feeling dated, specifically Sisko being too hammy. Others are fantastic though, especially Garak and Bashir. While I really enjoyed TNG growing up, DS9 is what has made me love the Trek universe and its possibilities.

2. TNG - Really not good the first couple seasons, but season 3 on are pretty good with a lot of brilliant episodes scattered throughout. Picard is the best captain and the crew is pretty good. Never much cared for counselor Troi though. Pretty good overall, and was my first real exposure to Trek years ago.

I've never been able to get into any of the other series, so those are the only two I care about.

Nice to see the love DS9 is getting. I didn't like it from the beginning but over time, all the interplay between the main characters made for compelling drama. TNG has some really great episodes and IMO is almost as iconic now as the OG crew, but there is a lack of tension between the crew for the most part. Looking at it now, it comes across a little sterile. The best episodes for my money centered around Worf and the Klingon empire, everything on from him losing his honor to protect his father's name, to the internal civil war and political drama made for great TV. TOS was definitely a product of its era in every way but Kirk/Spock/McCoy are too great as a trio to not at least recognize their place in pop culture, even if the series is hard to watch in spots nowadays.

Generally, Everyones top 3 is going to be TOS, TNG and DS9 in some order, and their bottom 2 will be VOY and ENT

Yep. Any list that adheres to these rules is respectable.

The top of mine is TNG and the bottom is VOY. These are the only two entries I am particularly passionate about their place in the ranking.
Enterprise deserves better than the be placed below Voyager. Robert Picardo was the only thing that mattered about VOY. There is no other reason to watch that shit.

1. DS9
2. TNG
3. VOY
4. ENT

TOS is a lot different from the above generation of Trek so I've never felt I can rank it among them, I love TOS, but I never know where to put it.

DS9 is 1 for a couple of reasons. It's the first Trek show to be more serialised, resulting in various larger plot lines to narrow scope ones involving characters. Speaking of characters, it's the only Trek show to have character development of the entire cast. With TNG only Data, and to some degree Worf, ever had significant character development across all seven seasons. Take Picard and Geordi for example, not much character development but solid characters, but never really felt that they ever changed over 7 season (and in timeline of the show, 7 years of their life). The crew's relationships also were very static, where DS9's it was much more dynamic, lows and highs.

DS9 doesn't lack character development at all, even more minor characters like Nog you see completely grow throughout the entire show, and his father Rom. Major character such as Kira as well Dax, Quark, Odo, and even characters that didn't appear in that many episodes like Garak. It also had the most characters as well in the show as well most diverse, Human, Ferengi, Bajoran, Trill, Cardassian... They are not the same people from the start of the show, they changed based on plot events and relationships with other characters, the relationships are much more dynamic. DS9 is heavily focused on the relationship dynamics. Just look at O'Brien and Bashir, it was a natural growth of friendship over the show. New relationships form and changed throughout the show combined with the character development of every single one of them. Also it has the best holosuite-related episodes.

Even though TNG had very static character development/relationships I absolutely loved the characters and its cast nonetheless, it was a great composition and I felt that it has the most self-contained episodes that are good compared to DS9 or any other Trek, DS9's strengths were when it hunkered down on story development. It makes sense though, DS9 took place in a very central location, and it plays at its strengths, it was about Sisko as commander of the station at the border with the Dominion and its strategic position, where as TNG is on the mission of exploration in the unknown which is much more suited for the self-contained style of episodes. It's also reflected in the lead characters themselves, Sisko is dealing with war and other conflicts, he's much more decisive and quick thinker, where as Picard is much more diplomatic, both characters exist and are done in a way that represents their situation.

Concerning Voyager, I think it's good, the only issue I have ever had with it is that Janeway was written inconsistently due to the fighting the teams of writers had, it's known that certain people felt the character should be one way and others completely different which is why Janeway came off essentially as bipolar because effectively it was due to the conflict of writers, a lot of her writing conflicted a lot with herself due to them and their disagreements, but I still liked Janeway and the acting was good. Voyager continues DS9's serialisation of course but I don't think it was as good. After rewatching all of Trek multiple times now I don't think its the worst at all, that's for Enterprise. Voyager had a good run that I enjoyed, can never say I hate Voyager even though I think it is the weakest of the rebirth of Trek of the 90s.

Enterprise is ranked the lowest because its a complete screw up in my opinion from the very beginning with the intro sequence, to characters that are barely characters and just "exist" like Travis, something the actor complained about too. Only character I liked on that show was Dr. Phlox. Archer was an ass, he was just unlikable and not in the good way because well written "asshole" characters are you still "love to hate", Archer wasn't that, he was just written like ass and that's why the character was the way he was. I generally hate prequels and it is one after all, takes place in the 2150s, around 115 years before Kirk/TOS. It only managed to get four seasons, it got better around mid 3rd and fourth season but it was ended abruptly, only Trek show to never finish. The show never got a traction of a fanbase like the others did during its run like all the others did which I find speaks for itself, it didn't matter what ones opinion was of TNG, DS9 or VOY, the shows always built a new fanbase of a mix of existing fans that like it and new Trek fans that got into Trek with that particular show, Enterprise I never remembered achieving this in its run, existing Trek fans hated it and never got anyone new into it during its run as Enterprise fan base.

TOS is ... TOS, it was way before my time of course so I watched it with the knowledge of these iconic characters like Spock, lots of fun episodes, I never know what to say about it, I like it, but it's not the Trek I grew up with, that was the 90s rebirth of TNG, DS9, and VOY, so it's a lot different for me, a bit of a different formulae.

For a long time I preferred TNG over DS9 but it's only after rewatching them again with the DVDs that I began to find DS9 as my favourite Trek. Rewatching for the third time a few years ago TNG when I got my bluray set and DS9 again (also for third time), it pretty much cemented it for me so yeah I've been a converted Niner now for some time.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
1) Deep Space Nine
2) The Next Generation
3) Enterprise
4) Voyager
5) TOS

DS9 is easily my favourite, it was the only one that had an overarching plot for the majority which meant it could have episodes that have serious repercussions, which none of the other ones had. It also had my favourite set of characters and contains 4 of my top 5 episodes.

TNG is an obvious second choice so not gonna justify that one.

Enterprise is the most difficult to judge for me as it got off to such a bad start before really hitting it's stride. In the end I will only be left thinking about it's potential. Loses points for it's shockingly bad finale.

Voyager is the most inconsistent, it has the high highs and the lowest lows, aside from the odd character, it has my least favorite crew.

TOS is just too hard to watch nowadays, important as it was, so I gotta rank it last.

rjinaz

DS9, TNG, ENT, VOY, TOS

I would probably rank ENT even higher but it's too short, not enough meat on the bones compared to the other two series I have ranked higher. I really enjoyed it.

TOS is just too old for me to get into. Voyager is alright enough but Janeway really irks me.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
DS9 > TNG > ENT > VOY > TOS

DS9 is my favourite piece of non-interactive media, but TNG is incredible as well. ENT has some really rocky parts, but also great episodes and great character development on some characters (T'Pol, Shran are fantastic). Voyager was too much boom-bang, but I still prefer it over the original series which has a great core, but in a lot of cases a very weak execution.

Davey Cakes

It would have been nice if Janeway just said "yes" to Q in that first Q episode on Voyager.

Could've saved a lot of time and headaches.

TNG
TOS
DS9
Voy
ENT...only watched 3 episodes

Edit:
I wanna say, that I agree with basically all the pointss that hobblygobbly made in his longer post above. However, I feel the need to add that TOS and TNG bring ideas from (good, smart) Science-Fiction literature to TV that make you think about sci-fi concepts - there are analogies to be found that makes us perceive things in every day life in different light and question ideas we thought of as normal before. Especially for children and younger teenagers this can be more than entertainment. Also some of the physics in TNG are cool for nerds and wannabe math geeks at that age, even if they're not exactly university physics-lecture hard sci-fi stuff.
This "exceeding pure entertainment on more than the intersocial level" is something you don't find much in DS9, which is why I think of it as a lesser Star Trek series, even though it's a damn good TV series that I enjoyed watching maybe just as much as TNG.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
1) Deep Space Nine
2) The Next Generation
3) Enterprise
4) Voyager
5) TOS

1. DS9
2. TNG
3. VOY
4. ENT

DS9, TNG, ENT, VOY, TOS

DS9 > TNG > ENT > VOY > TOS

tenor.gif

Dougald

DS9 = TNG = TOS, could be ranked in any way depending on my mood
ENT (had some stinkers but series 3 made it worth watching)
VOY (some great individual Trek episodes but overall terrible)
TAS (just can't get into it)

Undiscovered Country is my favourite film, no question.

I find it hilarious when people come in here all cocky and shit saying it's only one way or you're wrong haha.

Apparently people don't understand how opinions work.

Sephzilla

I'm gonna include the movies as well, because why not.

TV Series
1a- Next Generation
1b- Deep Space Nine
3- Enterprise
4- Original Series
5- Voyager

Movies
1- Wrath of Khan
2- Undiscovered Country
3- Beyond
4- Trek 2009
5- First Contact
6- Generations
7- Motion Picture
8- Search for Spock
9- Voyage Home
10- Final Frontier
11- Into Darkness
12- Insurrection
13- Nemesis

Next Generation and Deep Space Nine are too different to directly compare in my opinion, however they are both great TV series. Easily #1 and #2. Personally, when I think of Star Trek I always think of TNG first, so that puts it above DS9 for me. Enterprise is honestly a bit underrated in my opinion, seasons 1 and 2 are rough but seasons 3 and 4 are some legitimately great seasons of Star Trek and some of the crew is really likable. Season 3 of Enterprise basically takes the basic concept of Star Trek Voyager and executes it a million times more effectively. Original Series is ranked lower for me purely out of personal preference, I have a hard time watching TOS because the episodes are so different pace wise compared to everything from the modern era of Star Trek. Voyager is a great concept of a show that's executed terribly and has the overall most unlikable crew.

In regards to the movies, I feel like the JJ-era movies get unfairly shit on and people have extremely rose tinted nostalgia goggles regarding the original timeline movies. Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country are fantastic movies and honestly they're the best stories to come out of the Shatner-era, TV or movie. Out of all the Trek movies, Beyond is the only one that truly felt like it captured the essence of the TV series to me. Trek 2009 is a solid fun movie with a really good emotional opening. First Contact is a fun action movie that you sort of need to turn your brain off to enjoy. Generations is great until the final act when the wheels totally fall off. The remaining TOS era movies are all pretty mediocre, including Voyage Home. Into Darkness is kind of bad but easily not the worst Trek movie. Insurrection and Nemesis were terrible movies for a great TV series.

Top Bottom