• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rank the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movies

Dead

well not really...yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNQNoWABGDk

This was made at the height of the cartoon Turtle craze, where the toys were getting more and more ridiculous, and the show was the definition of saturday morning dross.

Yet, the movie came out like this. Dark, grimy, with a Shredder recruiting disenfranchised, orphaned and runaway youths as the foot clan.

nuts

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Seriously. Original TMNT is so fucking good. The action was great, film looked like money, the OST is legendary, I had a massive crush on a real April. It's one of the most underrated superhero movies out there. Cause it's up there.

Retro

The first two on my list are the only ones I'd willingly re-watch;

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) - Still holds up remarkably well, has some really great shots you wouldn't expect from this kind of movie (especially stuff after they flee the city).
TMNT (2007) - This feels more like a continuation of the first film than Secret of the Ooze (mainly since it continues to treat the characters with respect), and while the CGI isn't particularly great it gets the job done.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze (1991) - Dials the goofiness and camp up way too far. The costumes look worse, the two new mutants look terrible, the plot is a mess... Just, no. I wouldn't particularly care to see this ever again.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III (1993) - Even as a 11 year old I knew this was garbage-tier. The turtles wouldn't look this shabby and cheap again, even though the designs in the 2014 reboot are hideous.

[ - GAP LARGE ENOUGH TO DRIVE A TECHNODROME THROUGH - ]

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (2016) can fight for the last slice of cold, sewage-encrusted Papa John's pizza and the winner can choke on it. The loser can choke on the corpse of the winner. Unwatchable.

Cracklox

1,2...the rest.

People rag on 2 but I must have watched it 490 times as a kid.
Go ninja go ninja go!

1st post and all that, though I don' think I'm quite up to 490 times on 2 lol. Probably around that on one though lol. And yeah, 2 was a lot better then it gets credit for. It gave us this goddamit!

fXskG6.gif

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Also fuck it, I'm saying it. Anyone ranking TMNT III over Out of the Shadows is no TMNT fan in my book.

The first live-action film was the best of the original trilogy by far. The second is somewhat close but imo doesn't hold up as well.

Most memorable scene from the third movie is when those samurai are partying at a bar. Third film does not hold up well at all, heck
when the bad guy "dies" from falling off a cliff into the ocean, he just vanishes without a visible splash like they ran out of budget for special effects lol

The 2007 film was pretty cool, though I might be looking at it through tinted lenses. I should give it another watch. Haven't even bothered seeing the Bay Turtles, I've yet to have a reason to.

I guess I'll rank the ones I have seen

• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)
  • a gap of debatable length here
  • TMNT (2007)
  • Secret of the Ooze
  • a gap so big Godzilla couldn't fill it if he used it as a toilet
  • TMNT 3

Also fuck it, I'm saying it. Anyone ranking TMNT III over Out of the Shadows is no TMNT fan in my book.

Agreed. TMNT III is GARBAGE! The costumes got even worse than they were in TMNT II and Splinter's was so fucking bad, they had to rewrite the movie so he never leaves that train car.

Meanwhile, Casey Jones comes back after he sorely went missing in II and he has a crappy looking wig. I did like that he got to play double roles. Also, movie still has model looking April who lacks the warmth and personality of Judith Hoag.

Hell, while we're at it. TMNT II has no actual use of weapons. No actual showdown with Super Shredder and the reveal of the two creatures were not Bebop and Rocksteady but...Tokka and Rahzar. Two of the stupidest fucking looking creatures and they can't even talk. I was 7(about to turn 8) and even then I knew this was stupid.

Out of the Shadows was such a fun movie and pretty much improved upon the 2014 movie in almost every way. They clearly went a different direction and it just worked. Paramount made the mistake of releasing it smack dab in the middle of the summer, when they should have kept it for August again where the previous film did really well, even against Guardians of the Galaxy.

1. TMNT(1990) - Still one of the best comic book movies of all time. People tend to forget that it is a comic book series.
2. TMNT: Out of the Shadows - Yea, better than TMNT II(1991). If you loved TMNT II, try watching it again. It's still watchable and kinda fun in places, but it's such a huge step down from the first, that it just doesn't compare. OoT has Krang! Bebop and Rocksteady(played to perfection by Gary Anthony Williams and Sheamus). The weak link was Stephen Amell as Casey Jones. His characterization just doesn't work. I would have been fine if he was just some cop looking to help rather than being Casey Jones. Also, it has the fucking Technodrome! We were going to get Dimension X for the third movie and now nothing :(

3. TMNT II: Secret of the Ooze - Despite me being harsh on it, I still think it's okay.
4. TMNT(2007) - Really wanted to love this when I saw it in the theater and it kinda disappointed me. I'll have to re-watch it.
5. TMNT(2014) - This movie has a lot of problems and the first twenty minutes were dreadful. Once the Turtles and Will Arnett appeared more, I had more fun with it. I enjoyed the two major set pieces.
6. TMNT III - Such a terrible movie. They got cheap and used some shitty company for the Turtles/Splinter and it fucking shows. Crazy how fast that movie franchise went down hill so fast.

Still don't understand why they named the last movie after the poorly reviewed, three year old video game. Not that was the reason for it's box office failure, but just kinda odd, marketing wise.

Seriously. Original TMNT is so fucking good. The action was great, film looked like money, the OST is legendary, I had a massive crush on a real April. It's one of the most underrated superhero movies out there. Cause it's up there.

Agree with all of this. The one thing I'd add is that Elias Koteas ' s portrayal of Casey Jones is probably a Top 10 comic movie casting.

2 > 1 > All the other muck.

The fact that they scaled back the dark, gritty tone of the first film, no Casey Jones, a worse April, and took away the turtles using weapons was enough to put 2 far away from the first film. Keno and the Ninja Rap sequence were the only two good things to come from that film.

Sephzilla

Here are the biggest cons against Secret of the Ooze

1) The turtles never actually use their weapons in the movie, because parents
2) The movie lost some of the dark and grit of the first movie, because parents
3) No Casey Jones
4) April downgraded
5) The Turtles don't even fight Super Shredder, Shredder pretty much kills himself

The 1990 movie is the only Turtles film I've ever loved, and was my introduction to the series. As a kid, I really appreciated that the film took its themes seriously (fathers doing right by their children), while still having some fun with the absurdity of the concept. It was down to earth, so it felt more believable.

Secret of the Ooze was the exact opposite of what the first film was, which is why I hated it as a kid. Nothing about the film is taken seriously. Not even the villains. I was in complete shock at how pathetic they made Shredder and the foot clan in the sequel. From the opening scene, where the Turtles have to use toys and deli meats in combat instead of their weapons, to the ending, where Super Shredder is taken out by pieces of wood. It was as cheesy and kid friendly as possible, and I felt insulted.

As an adult now though, I do have a greater appreciation for part II. Now that I've seen the 80's show, I understand what they were trying to emulate with the tone. The original April and Casey Jones were missed, but Ernie Reyes Jr. did a great job as Keno. And yeah, though Tokka and Rahzar sucked as villains, I cant help but love the club battle with Vanilla Ice playing Ninja rap in the background. Maybe it's nostalgia, or the fact that Ninja Turtles movies since II have been really underwhelming, but I do legitimately enjoy Secret of the Ooze at this point in my life.

I've got very little to say about the rest of the films.

3 is one of the worst films Ive ever seen, period. Jim Henson's costumes were replaced with fake looking crap, the script was shit, the jokes were terrible, and the whole movie felt cheap.

TMNT was like some sort of weird reboot/sequel hybrid that threw the audience into the middle of this new story and expected us to care because we might have some knowledge of the franchise. So bizzare.

Ninja Turtles had a really lousy, unexciting script, with too many convoluted deviations from the source material. And the designs of the main characters sucked too. Who asked for an ultra realistic version of the Ninja Turtles?

I havent seen the second film, which I hear is better, but I still dont have much of an interest to see it.

If I were to rank the series, it'd go in this order: 1>2>The Rest.

AudioNoir

Banned
First one was the best one. Then two, then Out of the Shadows, 2014, and then the dumb time travel one where Splinter looked like reanimated roadkill.

Here are the biggest cons against Secret of the Ooze

1) The turtles never actually use their weapons in the movie, because parents
2) The movie lost some of the dark and grit of the first movie, because parents
3) No Casey Jones
4) April downgraded
5) The Turtles don't even fight Super Shredder, Shredder pretty much kills himself

I have to rewatch this movie now
,but what do you mean by April downgraded?

Daingurse

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)
Turtles Forever
TMNT
Secret of the Ooze
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III

Never seen the Bay movies.

I love the first movie to death. Definitely one of my favorite comic adaptations. I like the sequels well enough thanks to nostalgia.

TMNT was a fun movie for me. Love the Leo/Raph fight!

And Turtles Forever was just plain awesome.

Durden77

2014 was a fucking garbage movie in almost every respect. I never saw 2016.

I would say 1=TMNT>2. I haven't seen TMNT in a long time, but I remember really enjoying it. It had some way cool art direction, and it was the only one that tried to show off the dark side of the Turtles. That's why I say 1=TMNT, different sides of the same coin.

I never saw 3.

I have to rewatch this movie now
,but what do you mean by April downgraded?

Probably referring to a different actress playing April.

I rewatched 2 today. I'd probably rate Out of the Shadows higher than it objectively but 1 and 2 are the only ones I'd ever want to see again.

Every few years I'm like hey I'll watch Turtles III that seems like a good idea! Then I end up not finishing it. Don't know if I've ever watched it all at once without a break...

phanphare

Banned
Probably referring to a different actress playing April.

I rewatched 2 today. I'd probably rate Out of the Shadows higher than it objectively but 1 and 2 are the only ones I'd ever want to see again.

Every few years I'm like hey I'll watch Turtles III that seems like a good idea! Then I end up not finishing it. Don't know if I've ever watched it all at once without a break...

turtles III is only worth it for the scenes with casey jones and the japanese guys

I've said this before, but TMNT3 is a better movie than TMNT2. Nostalgia blinds people hardcore to 2's flaws.

1 > 3 > 2. Haven't seen any of the ones past those three, but mainly because I don't own them. Well...I might own the CGI TMNT, I actually forget.

Tie between the original original and the 2014 reboot. The original for its charm, imagery and nostalgia factor; 2014 for its action shots, cg effects and nailing the turtles' personalities.

Don't really care for the rest (mega letdown by OotS).

2014 was a fucking garbage movie in almost every respect.
You can't call the finely crafted action scenes with the long takes and full-framed character shots garbage. I still recall the legit smile on my face during that entire mountain slope scene with my son by my side at the theater. Amazing action setpiece.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.

But in two when raph catches the pizza in april's apartment and goes "ah-ha touchdown, yeaaahhhh". My friend and I rewound that scene about 20 times in a row and couldn't stop laughing.

So that's my ranking. Also that turtle power docu on Laird and Eastman was disappointing.

Varna

First movie is great. Classic even.

Second movie was all right when I was a little kid. Watched it a few years back and just awful on every level. It's pretty obvious there was a parent backlash after the first film. This movie got gutted obviously.

Never watched any of the others and I'm glad.

Top Bottom