• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare might not be forced to make Kinect games but anything else gets canned

Timu

Hate to double post, but I didn't see these in the thread yet.

Concept art for Banjo-Karting and Kameo 2.

KZFbcXN.jpg
eoiQ3FB.png
OMG...I would had so played those games!!!

Nonsense, Viva Pinata and Trouble in Paradise were great, Kameo was good, and so was Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts.

To be honest I had more fun with Perfect Dark Zero's online multiplayer than any of those other games. They weren't terrible, but I expected much more from Rare

-MD-

To be honest I had more fun with Perfect Dark Zero's online multiplayer than any of those other games. They weren't terrible, but I expected much more from Rare

PDZ's online was amazing.

PDZ, Kameo and Nuts & Bolts were all solid games from this gen.

I wasn't a fan of Viva Pinata.

Do you guys think it's Microsoft who canned all these projects for Rares lack of quality games the past few years or is there simply not that magic group of talent there anymore?

I still yearn for a great next Gen perfect dark sequel. Microsoft just sits on all these rare ip's and does nothing with them.

I gotta ask though to you and the people in this thread... What do you expect? Why would they make a Perfect Dark? They already have Halo Gears Titanfall Quantum Break and Sunset. That's 5 shooting games. And State of Decay and Crackdown. No more shooting games are needed especially not another FPS competing with Halo.

Rates Kinect games sell a ton. People enjoy them. I don't really I'm more of a Killer Instinct guy but this idea being thrown around that MS is forcing them and they desperately want to stop making a top tier selling franchise doesn't make sense. Maybe from a creative standpoint they would want to branch out. But they aren't developing a failure. Kinect games from Rare sell quite well.

EBE

I gotta ask though to you and the people in this thread... What do you expect? Why would they make a Perfect Dark? They already have Halo Gears Titanfall Quantum Break and Sunset. That's 5 shooting games. And State of Decay and Crackdown. No more shooting games are needed especially not another FPS competing with Halo.

Rates Kinect games sell a ton. People enjoy them. I don't really I'm more of a Killer Instinct guy but this idea being thrown around that MS is forcing them and they desperately want to stop making a top tier selling franchise doesn't make sense. Maybe from a creative standpoint they would want to branch out. But they aren't developing a failure. Kinect games from Rare sell quite well.

i was imagining what a new Perfect Dark might be like. i imagined it as being a third person action stealth game - cartoony aesthetics (possible cell shaded) and more light hearted in tone than the previous two games (less Blade Runner and more Fifth Element). Joanna might have some hand to hand combat moves that could borrow from games like Ryse and Batman. i think its a franchise that could certainly make a comeback.

and i agree with you, Rare's Kinect games have sold very well. and ive personally enjoyed all of them - i dont think theyre bad games at all. fortunately, i do think Kinect Sports Rivals will be their last kinect sports title. i dont think theyll abandon the tech, but i do think theyll shift away from the motion sports genre theyve planted themselves in over the last for years and move toward more "classic" Rare type games.

you exagerated some.sunset is not a shooter like that,same for crackdown .quantum break is more story driven. perfect dark if done right can be a different kind of shooter.a spy fps is rare now in days.

EBE

I think it bombed.

you think so? id be curious to see some numbers but i dont know where to look. i cant imagine that, though. i think itll at least be a million seller. the franchise is pretty big and the game isnt terrible.

I feel like it's beating a dead horse to say "I want Banjo-Threeie" at this point but really, no one makes collectathon platformers anymore and Banjo is the series that exemplified that the most. Gimme that shit and I'll buy an Xbox One.

you exagerated some.sunset is not a shooter like that,same for crackdown .quantum break is more story driven. perfect dark if done right can be a different kind of shooter.a spy fps is rare now in days.

Perfect Dark could be amazing if it was done like a futuristic version of NOLF with parkour elements or a pulpy, more charming take on Deus Ex. I'm already drooling.

I just want Nuts & Bolts 2 and Viva Pinata at this point. Will be interesting to see where Rare is going, didn't they hire a bunch of Bizarre Creations people last year?

Gregg Mayles is definitely still there.

He did a small tour of Rare talking about some of the history, etc in this video dated April 1 2014:

http://youtu.be/GvbP76k91aI

He's 43 years old?! I wish I look that healthy at that age.

11:14 - "Rare has been here this long because of the sheer diversity of the games we take on. We've never been a studio known for doing one particular game. We span lots of different genres. We look at a lot of different things. We try to blend technology with creativity to create what people call a Rare game."

Either he's talking of Rare of quite a few years ago or they're moving on from Kinect games. E3!

I really dislike being reminded of the situation with this game developer. Seeing the company that brought me so many fond childhood memories taken to such a low state is saddening. We'll always have the memories.

That said, the "Rare at E3" video was pure gold. Black humor at its best.

I didn't realize a Banjo karting game had been considered. I always thought a kart game using building elements like from Nuts and Bolts would have been really good.

He's 43 years old?! I wish I look that healthy at that age.

11:14 - "Rare has been here this long because of the sheer diversity of the games we take on. We've never been a studio known for doing one particular game. We span lots of different genres. We look at a lot of different things. We try to blend technology with creativity to create what people call a Rare game."

Either he's talking of Rare of quite a few years ago or they're moving on from Kinect games. E3!

It doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be moving on from Kinect (with all that expertise under their belts, I'd expect practically every game they make form now on to incorporate some Kinect functionality), but yeah, they're likely working on things other than Kinect Sports.

So anyone who has been following Rare on Twitter might have noticed that they now have an Instagram account. They've posted pictures of what they're calling "Rare Jam 2014." While most pictures are of actual Jam, there has been one that appears to game development. I assume this is similar to Double Fine's Fortnights, so it should be cool to see where this goes.

Also, while I'm in this thread. I'm betting Rare's probably working on Viva Pinata for Xbox One. Why else would they tease Horstachio in their last Christmas card?

20140109012147746826.jpg

Also, despite how much Rare has changed over the years, they still make these cards.

So, Viva Pinata, Battletoads (? - per Ape) and in my opinion the scenery at the back looks a lot like Banjo? (from x06 teaser 55 seconds onwards)

I really wouldnt be surprised if all 3 games were in development, just not all at Rare. Banjo/VP would make sense as the designer is still there and Viva Pinata is probably recent enough that most staff are still there? Either way, I think we will get a teaser from Rare at E3

And the post above is interesting too

So anyone who has been following Rare on Twitter might have noticed that they now have an Instagram account. They've posted pictures of what they're calling "Rare Jam 2014." While most pictures are of actual Jam, there has been one that appears to game development. I assume this is similar to Double Fine's Fortnights, so it should be cool to see where this goes.

Yes, Lionhead has that, too. Sadly, we never learned anything about their Creative Day 2013 projects, and I have a feeling Rare won't share any information either.

So, Viva Pinata, Battletoads (? - per Ape) and in my opinion the scenery at the back looks a lot like Banjo? (from x06 teaser 55 seconds onwards)

The background is probably Kinect Sports Rivals.

ibaEcyFRMIA7oZ.jpg

You're right but I don't think they need two first party FPS games. If anything they should reboot it into a third person game with a totally new focus.

You're right but I don't think they need two first party FPS games.

Why not? FPS is a broad genre, something like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is completely different from something like Halo, which is completely different from something like Serious Sam, which is completely different from something like NOLF, which...

Why not? FPS is a broad genre, something like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is completely different from something like Halo, which is completely different from something like Serious Sam, which is completely different from something like NOLF, which...

I dont think MS want to compete in the FPS market except for Halo. Which isnt a problem, just make PD2 third person!

Top Bottom