• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay officially announced - $30 and available August 4, 2015

Battletoads Arcade has never been on a home console, right?

Too bad they couldn't do a deal with Arc System Works to get BT and Double Dragon game.

terrisus

This and backwards compatibility were the highlights of Microsoft's conference for me. Day one.

Seriously, those two things are probably enough to get me to purchase my first Microsoft console.

Double Dragon?? Never been associated with Rare in any way

u3BAFT9.jpg

Still all better than either of the first two games on that list.

However you may feel about the games themselves, they're objectively weaker compilations, as they have technically inferior versions of the games.

No matter how good the games in a compilation are, I'm not going to give the compilation credit if I'd rather play them via other means.

Orange Box contained brand new games, and Metroid Prime Trilogy contained the definitive versions of the MP games, so they're better compilations.

driver116

It actually made me sad seeing the video for this - such varied and acclaimed franchises and Rare's inabilty to buld on them.

terrisus

However you may feel about the games themselves, they're objectively weaker compilations, as they have technically inferior versions of the games.

No matter how good the games in a compilation are, I'm not going to give the compilation credit if I'd rather play them via other means.

Orange Box contained brand new games, and Metroid Prime Trilogy contained the definitive versions of the MP games, so they're better compilations.

I mean, that's your prerogative I guess.

But, I would definitely take a collection of games with some issues but that I like, over a collection of games that I don't like.

Seriously, even Ninja Gaiden Trilogy would be on my list ahead of either of those two.

JetForce Gemini alone in this collection makes that collection worth it. I hope they sorta update it though with more check points because that game was so damn crazy in size. The rest of the games in the collection are just gravy to me. And Rares new game looks great too. Rare you bastards you did good :D

SparkTR

So was this the big Rare announcement they were teasing? I was really hoping for Banjo Threeie, this is great value but I've already played so much of the collection, and the stuff I didn't play never caught my interest for a reason.

Soltype

Sister told me about this back in Februrary, glad to see it officially announced.I think it's time I picked up a XO.

Justinh

JFG is going to be unplayable on new controllers.

I tried to get it working with a dual stick setup and it's a nightmare.

hopefully they did some tweaking so it'd work better with modern systems?

I think for 30 clams this is a great deal. IIRC, that how much the two Banjo games would cost by themselves on XBLA, and getting conker for OG xbox used (I think is the most affordable version) would cost more if I'm not mistaken.

30 bucks for 30 solid classics. Wtf is rare thinking..?! They could sell it for more. 30 games is too much. No one is gonna play through all and beat them unless they have no life and/or never buy another game for a few years.

Really stoked for this compilation. It honestly has everything I wanted though, except the one main game..Conker Live and Reloaded. I was really hoping to play it finally andget my multiplayer on, but either way, this is a great thing. Getting it day one, for sure. It's worth it just for the 360 games.

Gartooth

I just got back from work and skipped around to the most interesting bits of the Xbox conference. Aside from backwards compatibility, this collection was definitely my favorite part. Seeing that trailer hit me so hard with a love of gaming. I'm going to feel so dumb if I buy a new system just to play 30 old video games. haha

Honestly though, this is the best video game collection ever as long as they nail the emulation of the most beloved games. Yeah there's no Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, DK64, and DKC trilogy, but those were never going to happen. I would be stoked to try out BattleToads, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, and more for the first time.

I was disappointed hearing about the pirate MMO announcement, but at least from Rare's perspective I hope it is a game they enjoy making. Watching the video footage, there really wasn't much shown of the game. It looks like an MMO, but not really an RPG? More like a first person adventure with AC ship combat, and a lot of PVP and co-op. I would've been floored though if the pirate game was instead a revival of their ideas for Project Dream.

D: holy shit
just caught up on the news, awesome news and amazing price , jet force gemini back B^)

could have easily charged $60 too and i would have bought it, $30 is <3

wow you can play online for perfect dark zero? i'd love for people to get back into that game, infection was amazing back in 2005 lol

Daffy Duck

20 of my English pounds? Sold.

Never played any of these games but the quality is easy to see and the price is a no brainier.

Mask

Glad I got both the consoles in the end, it's paying dividends in terms of how much pure gaming goodness I keep getting!

Are Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie the 360 versions?

Gartooth

I have played probably half of those games before. For all you newbies, you are in for a treat. Must plays are:

Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Perfect Dark
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (why bother playing the first at all? lol)
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (good game aside from my salt for it. ;) )
Kameo: Elements of Power

Dumb to only include KI Gold and not the arcade releases.

DarkCloud

I am in...I specifically asked for this and I will grab this for use on my future XB1.

I hope they can add to this library of games via dlc though as there's still a few titles I'd like to see like Battlemaniacs, the Wizards and Warriors trilogy, the multiplayer mode of Live and Reloaded, and maybe Battletoads and Double Dragon if they work something out with Aksys.

Also their post MS buyout GBA titles.

harSon

Banned
This is probably going to sell extremely well. You have the nostalgia factor at a near impulse purchase price point.

NIGHT-

Glad I got both the consoles in the end, it's paying dividends in terms of how much pure gaming goodness I keep getting!

hope someone confirms this, They're amazing ports

Xenthar

30$ for 30 games. is there a trap or something? Because now i actually feel the need to get an XBOX ONE which i am not ready for this.

DarkCloud

Would be nice for games that got multiple versions to have some form of toggle to let you play the version you want. Snake Rattle n Roll and Battletoads had 16 bit Genesis ports. Conker has the Xbox port. KIGold has KI2 arcade. The XBLA "remakes" of Banjo 1-2 and Perfect Dark.

Top Bottom