• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare reserved pages for Killer Instinct, Battletoads & Banjo-Kazooie in 2010

XGoldenboyX

Still not getting a XBOX ON... even if it hurts not playing one of my all time favs....Killer Instinct and Battle toads...

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Mr. Pants + next-gen power of the cloud is an intriguing prospect that I'd like to see.

These links are far from hard evidence, but if Battletoads is true ...

smangit.gif

Just because Rare is resuscitating these games doesn't mean that they're going to go anywhere after the shoddy initial entry.

Remember this?

Perfect-Dark-Zero.jpg

Now imagine if that game got a sequel that improved on its issues like any other game franchise.

PDZ was a really fun launch game IMO that did some interesting things with co op and multiplayer.

nib95

Banned
Exciting, but less so because it's Rare. They're a shadow of their former selves. Hopefully these games are on par with the quality of older titles, but somehow I doubt it.

ronito

I can see it now

Rare:"We're proud to announce Battletoads!!!"
Crowd: "YEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!"
Rare: "Kinetc"
Crowd: "HHHHRRRAAAAAGGGEEEEEE!!!"

I'd be more excited for a continuation of Nuts & Boltz featuring all of Rare's characters than sequels to their many mediocre franchises. Just think of the possibilities, Orchid could perform her boob flash finisher on Banjo causing his eyes to pop out of his head and tongue to unravel to the floor with cartoony charm.

If anything, it's re-release of Battletoads Arcade (because NES/SNES versions cannot show up on anything outside the Virtual Console) a re-release of KI/KI2 and a brand new Banjo that I'm sure Rare will fuck up even harder than the last one.

Hindle

Banned
A traditional Banjo would be awesome and actually sell ok. Nuts and Bots flopped because it was a racing game. I think we will get a new game at some point, same with PD. They need the right approach for them to work.

kick51

Banned
aside from HD releases of the old ones, what could they do with Killer Instinct? The game had one gimmick and it sustained the first one, but everyone was sick of it by the second.

aside from HD releases of the old ones, what could they do with Killer Instinct? The game had one gimmick and it sustained the first one, but everyone was sick of it by the second.

KI2 is way better than 1 due to the counter system and the ability to throw to punish turtles. Ya don't know what you're talking about dude. The only thing that KI2 lacks is Cinder and Thunder.

Both that and Viva Piñata are better than anything Rare did in the 64 era.

The most factually wrong thing I've ever seen written on NeoGaf.

PDZ is a decent game. It was a launch title and the first game with alot of handholding so it got attacked pretty bad. I think it's underrated if anything.

Kameo though was fucking phenomenal. A true AAA game with only small flaws. It's a real shame very few people bought it.

UraMallas

OMG. Be true.

Well, kinda. I still don't like the Xbone because of it's anti-consumer policies, including no BC. I guess I don't know how to feel about this.

Gartooth

Fingers crossed for an honest to goodness Banjo-Kazooie game with no vehicles, Kinect, or other gimmicks. If they can deliver on that then DRM and other hardware qualms aside, I might have to swallow my pride and buy an Xbox One. (of course this is just an isolated case, Banjo-Kazooie is one of my favorite video game series of all time so I'm willing to make an exception for it)

Battletoads?

I'm listening!!

I used to love this game so much. It was so damn fun when i was a kid
Btinbm.jpg

battletoads & double dragon though... fuck that game. i hated it with a passion.

don't care for banjo or the overrated KI

kick51

Banned
People felt the same way about MK until the reboot. As always, the answer is to actually make a good game.

Anybody who remembered KI is going to be in their mid 20's so it's now or never.

Yes, but NRS kept making fighting games and trying new things. MK9 was a result of years of experience and learning from mistakes.

Do we really trust Rare, in name only, to revive this franchise?

Gartooth

Both that and Viva Piñata are better than anything Rare did in the 64 era.

I've been supportive of 360 era Rare's games (2005 until the end of 2008) and even I know that's bullshit. Fact is, is that the N64 was the studios high point not only in terms of the amount of games they released in that time frame, but also because the quality of each game was on average, much higher than that of their 360 games.

The high point of Rare's 360 games (Viva Pinata, Nuts and Bolts) comes nowhere close to their N64 games. (Goldeneye, Banjo-Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Conker's Bad Fur Day)

There have been people wanting a new Killer Instinct for years now. I just think at this point a lot of them have quieted down because they just figure it's never going to happen.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So basically Rare is setting up their website to potentially have various "history of Rare" pages and nothing else.

kick51

Banned
KI2 is way better than 1 due to the counter system and the ability to throw to punish turtles. Ya don't know what you're talking about dude. The only thing that KI2 lacks is Cinder and Thunder.

The most factually wrong thing I've ever seen written on NeoGaf.

ah, I didn't realize the game had been balanced or anything. I just remember the cabinets being empty at my arcade!

Keep in mind that they can hire new people, if they feel current staff doesn't have the chops to make a fighting game.

Yeah, I just don't know if they'd do the right thing (make a balanced game) or make a cash in without much care for balance.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Rare is just a name at this point.

I can't imagine that the team who made battletoads on the NES are still employed at rare.

GetemMa

But I would have to buy an Xbone for these games.

And none of the people who made those originals are still at Rare.

And I bet it is Killer Instinct because only something violent would appeal to gaming grown ups who turn their noses up at Nintendo.

NeoUltima

Battletoads please. That I would love to see.

Probably will be KI though. Good opportunity for them since I don't see any other fighting games coming to next-gen any time soon.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I can see it now

Rare:"We're proud to announce Battletoads!!!"
Crowd: "YEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!"
Rare: "Kinect"
Crowd: "HHHHRRRAAAAAGGGEEEEEE!!!"
But don't you want to replay the Turbo Tunnel level with MOTION CONTROLS?!

Really wouldn't mind a Battletoads Collection on XBLA.

Top Bottom