• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare's new game to "push the limits of Unreal Engine 4"

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i just want a 3d platformer. banjo, conker, or new IP, dont care.

Leflus

They had 10 games in 6 years last gen.
That's not so slow.
They have slowed down since they released Kinect Sports 2. ...and KS2 wasn't even 100% developed by Rare. They were assisted by BigPark.

They used to have several teams that worked on different games at the same time. Nowadays it seems like they only have 1 game team and 1 tech team.

There are some indications that they might be working on more than one game, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. I doubt it though.

Kameo, Viva Pinata 1 + 2, Nuts and Bolts, Kinect Sports 1 are all very good games. Not sure why people always have to resort to saying how shit Rare are these days when in reality they still have a lot of talent.

Are you insane? The only game there that would qualify as good would the viva pinata series.

I genuinely can't tell if this post is sarcastic or not, so sorry if I'm being an idiot.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I was going to say I'd love to see a great 3D Banjo but I then remembered I just bought a PS4 and i'm sticking to one console this gen so... er... Rare... Keep making those Kinect games.

King_Moc

Banned
They're going to push the limits of an engine the developers of which previously said would need at least 2TF minimum using only 1.3TF? Well, ok then.

Leflus

As long as it's nothing grey, mature and in first person, it's all good.
I don't think they'll make a shooter as long as Microsoft has Halo and Gears of War. It starts to get crowded once you factor in Crackdown, Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break.

It's probably going to be something colourful and family friendly.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I don't belive that there is any talent left in a studio that has produced Kinect games exclusively for better part of a decade. I'd love to be proven wrong, however. I'd love for them to create a new IP that challenges their predecessors' efforts in Rare.

ShogunX

Are you insane? The only game there that would qualify as good would the viva pinata series.

I genuinely can't tell if this post is sarcastic or not, so sorry if I'm being an idiot.

Ummmmm......nope. Kameo still looks good by todays standards, Nuts and Bolts was a very good game just not a traditional Banjo game. Kinect Sports 1 is very fun with a bunch of friends and is actually responsive.

The only people who would dismiss said games as being shit are people who haven't played them.

The old Rare would develop their own engine, so this is nothing to brag about.

Trying to save money and time is far more important these days than building an engine from scratch. I don't think you quite understand just how time consuming and costly in house engines are

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Trying to save money and time is far more important these days than building an engine from scratch. I don't think you quite understand just how time consuming and costly in house engines are

...for Microsoft?

Sony are in far direr financial straights and they still manage to build engines for all their in-house games.

legacyzero

Banned
i8XU73wzN1Hqu.png

G0523

As much as I want a revival from Rare, I think I'd be more curious and interested to see what they can come up with nowadays. It's always good to have new IP.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
What if its a sequel to the Twelve Tales? Will you still buy one?

Twelve Tales was never released, so why a sequel, just complete the game. I'd buy it for full price, even if it used original N64 tech.

Well Rare have always made very pretty game on good internal engines so this isn't much of a surprise to me tbh, I'm expecting it to be a looker

The nintendo-era Rare has been long dead. You people are only fantasizing on a name or should I say an empty shell.

Nothing to see here : They might be able to produce some visual marvels (even though the relative power of the Xbone makes it difficult) but as for me there is nothing else to expect from them.

jesu

The nintendo-era Rare has been long dead. You people are only fantasizing on a name or should I say an empty shell.

Nothing to see here : They might be able to produce some visual marvels (even though the relative power of the Xbone makes it difficult) but as for me there is nothing else to expect from them.

I'm more interested in the Xbox 360 era of Rare than the Nintendo era.

I think it would be in their interests to have a high quality 3d platformer, so hopefully they resurrect Banjo and make an awesome game out of it.

Raven77

The game will likely feature 4 legged creatures or QUADRUPEDS according to a job posting on Rares site:

http://www.rare.co.uk/careers/contract-opportunities

Experience, qualifications and characteristics:
• High quality animation skills that include experience in bipedal animation, quadruped and facial animation.

This could mean Conker possibly, maybe a new KAMEO since you could transform into crazy beasts. Highly doubt this particular game is Perfect Dark but they are working on at least 2 games I believe.

hydruxo

Rare threads continue being honeypots for my ignore list, dear lord...

I'm really eager to see what both Rare and possible other studios working on their IP have on their plates, and I really hope that we won't have to wait until E3 for any revelations.

They're honeydicking us.

In all honesty, I'd love to see Rare return to form but I just don't know that they can do it anymore. It's been too long and most of the old employees are no longer there. Pre-Microsoft Rare will always be my favorite dev but I've just lost any faith in them.

Village

E3 conker would be amazing

if they come back

and fake like its more Conker for project spark

And its actually conker this time, I would be angry, then loose my shit. Because It would remind me of last time, then I would be hyped for one of the few rare joints I actually enjoyed.

Raven77

Could also mean another Viva Pinata :/

Although the idea of another Viva Pinata doesnt make me crap my pants for joy, I always felt like it had so much untapped potential. Add in the ability to create your own gardens, make them 10x the size, add in 8 player coop, cross breeding, etc.

RK128

So is this really going to be Rare making a proper game again, or just Microsoft just 'teasing' them untill they cancle another project they work on again :l? Sorry to be bitter, but so many of the Xbox and Xbox 360 prototypes they were working on seemed so promising....and for all of them to be scrapped was just....ugh X(.

Anyway, considering all the hints Spencer has been dropping the past few months.....my guesses are the following:
-A proper 3D Banjo platformer filled with a huge open world to explore and the classic gameplay that made the N64 games classics :D!
-Conkers Other Bad Fur Day - Chris looks to have no issue coming back to voice the character for Project Spark and Microsoft is interested in the IP again (as it is in PS), so I can see this happening :).
-Perfect Dark 2 - They could use another shooter to space out Halo 5 and Gears 4, so this would be a safe choice to guess :). The N64 game is a classic, so I guess build on that and make a fun tittle is all Rare would need to do :D.
-New Action/Adventure IP - I feel that this is the least likely to happen, but the one I honestly want the most. It was proven with Viva Pinata modern Rare still had it in them to make really creative new IP, so I would love to see a new IP from them that blends the inspiration former Rare had in the N64 days and melds it with the new talent they hired prior to when the X1 launched :).
-Battletoads - I can really see this happen. Modern Rare and the developers behind the N64 XBLA ports can team up to make a really fun retro game in the vien of the NES tittles. Lots of combos to pull off, hard difficulty and the Battletoads style would make this a really fun XBL game.

Although the idea of another Viva Pinata doesnt make me crap my pants for joy, I always felt like it had so much untapped potential. Add in the ability to create your own gardens, make them 10x the size, add in 8 player coop, cross breeding, etc.

Don't mix the pinata races, keep them pure!

Haha jk. But honestly that game had some dark moments. Like making a parent and sibling make a new egg, also kill one of the spouses as children cheer and then have the baby eat the candy that was left behind.

reKon

Banned
As much as I would love to see a old classic rare title return with the a sequel, I think a lot of people forget that is not the same company that existed when they were developing games for Nintendo

Top Bottom