• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rarest Game You Own?

Naked Lunch

Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn US version)
Battle Garrega (Saturn Import)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence LE (the one in the red box)
Sin and Punishment (N64 import)

LycanXIII

There's a version of Black label that has some misprinted text on the back. Those were part of the a later printing before the green label.
ff7_error_i_zpsa698e434.jpeg

My cousin actually traded me his misprint copy for several DBZ toys back when we were kids. Sadly, he didn't take very good care of it and there are several cracks on the case.

Dont know if it would count but Marvel Ultimate Alliance Gold Edition. And looking through this thread im stabbing myself at how much of this i owned and had to sell within last 2 years or so.

I have a ton of games but nothing super rare I guess. Most likely candidates would be:

-Phantasy Star Online Epsiodes I & II Plus
-Electroplankton
-Rune Factory 3
-Skies of Arcadia Legends
-Metroid Prime Trilogy
-Demon's Souls Deluxe Edition
-Infinite Space
-Gamecube Component Cables

batfax

Just going off of what other people've said, since I don't really know what's rare and what's just expensive:

Chulip
Dragon Quest VIII have sealed, but the slip cover on the outside is pretty dinged up
Eternal Darkness
Fire Emblem PoR
Growlanser Generations (But not deluxe, so probably not that special)
Guardian Heroes
Harvest Moon 3 GBC
Harvest Moon 64
Ikaruga
Killer 7
Klonoa 2
Little King's Story
Lunar (Sega CD)
Lunar 2 Complete (Playstation)
MGS: The Twin Snakes
Magic Knight Rayearth
Mario RPG
Metal Gear Solid - Twin Snakes
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Mischief Makers
Mother 3
Phantasy Star I - IV
Segagaga Dreamcast Direct edition
Shenmue (seriously? This is considered rare?)
Some Bit Generations games
Tales of Eternia/Destiny II
TMNT 3
The Megaman Legends series (including the Tron Bonne)
Valkyrie Profile (PSX)
Xenoblade
Zelda MM with the the 3D-thing
Zelda Ocarina of Time/Master Quest promo disc
Zelda Ocarina of Time Gold

and a buncha boxed NES games like Zelda and Bionic Commando... but most of them are awful looking because they came from a rental store or something. Also picked up Lolo 2 the other day, which I think is rare.

Might've skipped some because at some point I got lazy and started only skimming the posts.

Tevious

I have:
- Super Mario RPG (with box and manual)
- Ocarina of Time Collector's Edition (with box and manual, but some wear to the edges of the box)
- Majora's Mask Collector's Edition (with box, manual, and guide, but some wear to the edges of the box)
- Radiant Historia
- Metroid Prime Trilogy
- MGS: Peace Walker Collector's Edition PSP (New & Sealed)
- Xenoblade (I was lucky enough to snag a new copy in December from Gamestop)

Not sure if rare:
- MGS: The Twin Snakes (It's rare? selling on ebay for $30-$50)
- Dragon Quest V DS (New & Sealed, lost value with the reprint)

I had the Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask GameCube disc, but sold it when those games came out on Vitual Console.

Jacobbles

A brick and mortar store in my city still has the (PAL) Xenoblade + Red Classic Controller Pro bundle in stock, and even though I own the game already (love it to death) I think I might have to pick it up...

...then lock it up in a cupboard and hope it increases in value. I don't think PAL Xenoblade is particularly rare though, compared to the US one anyway.

Haunted

If misprints and typos on the back of the box increase a game's rarity, my current-gen Capcom collection is going to make me rich!

I used to have the PAL version of Shenmue 2 for Dreamcast. Forgot what I ended up doing with that, probably selling it.

I guess right now that would be my copy of Xenoblade.

I've got (all PAL) the version of Wind Waker that came with Ocarina of Time and MQ which seems fairly rare, the Zelda Collectors Edition, and the 360 version of Bully which seems to keep getting higher in price all the time.

IrishNinja

how the hell is panzer dragoon saga so expensive if like half this thread has it? damn

MUSHA breaks my heart, too. for me i guess it's earthbound? i wanna say final fight guy but i can't find it lately

onken

The funny part being you can buy Panzer Dragoon Saga for under 1000 yen in Japan, I personally got another (mint, resealed) copy for 500 last year. I used to have the European version but most of the discs got lost/scratched by my idiot brother. Same with Shenmue 1 & 2.

User Tron

Just random picks:

PC FX: Super God Troopers Zeroigar, Last Imperial Prince
Saturn: Taromaru, Radiant Silvergun, Soukyugurentai
SFC: Tengai Makyou Zero

Durock

I still have a brand new, factory sealed copy of Rare's Banjo-Kazooie for the Nintendo 64. The game itself isn't rare, but I do believe its condition is.

I also have a demo disc of Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. Does that count?

Quick edit: Also, not sure how rare they are, but I do have OoT/Master Quest for Gamecube as well as two copies of the Zelda Collector's Edition. One of them is still brand new and factory sealed, the other is not.

Today, the rarest games I own may be Earthbound, Killer Instinct, Killer Instinct Gold and both SNES Final Fantasies. I also own Super Mario RPG, but it's not working anymore, sadly :(

Also, apparently Xenoblade Chronicles is rare. I have that too.

EDIT: Oh, I also own Skies of Arcadia Legends and Ikaruga for GameCube.
What GameCube games are considered rare aside from these?

Alastor

I don't know, maybe boxed version of Darwinia? Oni PC? Heavy Metal FAKK2? Baldur's Gate Saga? Nothing very expensive.

On consoles, Demon's Souls Black Phantom Edition and Shadow of the Colossus with postcards.

shuri

Banned
I think I already posted in this thread but ehh, here we go again.

• pre-release version of mortal kombat arcade with unbalanced combos and juggles. Legit Midway roms, not the reburned stuff from ebay
  • NBA JAM:TE arcade board with legit 1.0 roms that features MK Characters and some unlicensed players (those boards were recalled)
  • Primal Rage arcade version 2.3 -- its the final version of the game that has a completely reworked controlling system for special moves. It was released AFTER the console ports who have the old control scheme.
  • Fist of the North Star arcade board. Legit version with the holograms and etc, not the 50$ bootleg

For me it's the Star Fox Super Weekend Competition Cartridge (SNES, Promotional).

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/super-nintendo/starfox-super-weekend-competition

A promotional cartridge, Super Star Fox Weekend (Official Competition) (titled Star Wing: Official Competition in Europe), was released as part of the game's marketing campaign in Europe and the U.S. It featured time-limited single-player mode on modified stages, as well as an exclusive bonus level.[6] The altered start-up screen displays 'Official Competition Cartridge'. Depending on the points scored, players could win a t-shirt, a jacket, or trips to international destinations. An estimated 2000 cartridges were made.[6]

In the United States, the Super Star Fox Weekend was played by tens of thousands of competitors in malls across the country. Stores such as KB Toys and Suncoast Video (usually any store that carried Super Nintendo games participated) hosted the event. After the competition, a limited number of the Super Weekend cartridges were sold through the Nintendo Power magazine, listed in the Spring 1994 "Super Power Supplies" catalog that was mailed to subscribers, with an original list price of $45.

R-User!

How rare are Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9, Chrono Cross, FFT, Alundra, Lunar SSS Complete, MGS all in Black Label uncracked well-taken-care-of jewel cases and only used once each with no scratches on any discs?

Cuz I have them.

I also have a Greatest Hits green label Xenogears used in excellent condition.

And a sealed Xenoblade Chronicles.
And Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence Limited Edition.
And Parasite Eve black label.

What are my rarest from what I've listed?

jamsy

I have a complete copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga in very good condition that I bought off this guy for $75 (along with Magic Knight Rayearth, but I'm not sure that one is rare). Funny thing is I never got to play it since the Saturn I borrowed from a friend broke the first time I tried to use it...

Also have lesser rare stuff like Suikoden 2+ guide, Shining Force 3 (disc only I think), Ever 17, and a whole bunch of other RPGs.

Layd Dly

I wouldn't say I have anything super super rare. but i do collect RPG's so i have a vast collection of moderately hard to find stuff.

This photo is missing many that I added after the fact. My goal was to collect every PS2 RPG, Only ones im still really after are .hack v4 and g.u. series. which will cost me a pretty penny at this point. Many of these are still Sealed

53142_full.jpg

SMT Collection (Sealed Devil Summoner With Upside Down Game)
main.php

main.php

Other Notables not pictured:
Bioshock Collectors Edition
Mass Effect Collectors Edition
Demon's Souls Collectors Edition
Tales of Vesperia Special Edition Sealed
Suikoden II Complete
Tales of Destiny Complete

-KRS-

Today, the rarest games I own may be Earthbound, Killer Instinct, Killer Instinct Gold and both SNES Final Fantasies. I also own Super Mario RPG, but it's not working anymore, sadly :(

Also, apparently Xenoblade Chronicles is rare. I have that too.

EDIT: Oh, I also own Skies of Arcadia Legends and Ikaruga for GameCube.
What GameCube games are considered rare aside from these?

I dunno if they're necessarily rare, but Paper Mario 2 and Tales of Symphonia also usually goes for quite a bit still. Basically they cost almost as much used these days as they did brand new. So I don't think they're rare, just a lot of people want them. And also MGS Twin Snakes seem to have gone up in price lately, as someone mentioned. Why I'm not sure.

And I'm not sure about the Zelda games that were released. Like there's the Wind Waker Limited Edition with OoT Master Quest. And then there's the Zelda Collector's Edition with Zelda 1, 2, OoT and MM. I don't think they're all that rare though, but again it's something a lot of people want. Overall they aren't that expensive though.

Also, Pikmin 2 is usually kind of expensive.

And Ikaruga is rare? Glad I have a copy then. :)

Edit: And I guess I might as well mention my rarest game then. I've probably said it before in this thread though, but whatever! :D
The only actually rare (as in it was an extremely limited release) game I have, is Mr. Gimmick for the NES. It's the only game I've been willing to pay that much money for, because it's actually a good game in comparison to most other incredibly expensive NES games which are rare because they're shitty and no one wanted them. Mr. Gimmick is rare because of timing (it was released in 1992/93) and because it was only released in Japan and Scandinavia for some reason. So the western release is very rare today. A complete copy in very good condition would probably cost at least €500, and probably more these days because it has gone up in price lately, much like Earthbound. I only have the cartridge myself because I could never afford a complete copy.

Speaking of Earthbound, I have that too. But that seems expensive mostly because many people want it, not because it's necessarily rare. There aren't a ton of copies, sure. But it had way more copies manufactured than Mr. Gimmick. I also have Final Fantasy 3 CIB as well but I should probably not even mention that because that's actually not rare at all. Just in high demand.

-KRS-

How is that Flintstones game by the way? I've been on the lookout for it at a good price for years, but I've only really looked briefly at a youtube video of it once. It seemed pretty decent, but then again it's a licensed game.

I just found out that my copy of Aquanaut's Holiday that I bought with Hakuna Matata (Afrika) years ago off play-asia is now SUPER rare with used copies going for $175-$225.

There's a version of Black label that has some misprinted text on the back. Those were part of the a later printing before the green label.
ff7_error_i_zpsa698e434.jpeg

I remember seeing a TON of these at used games stores and pawn shops in 2003-2005, but I didn't buy them because I thought $20-25 was too much. Then came Advent Children and the prices shot through the roof! :(

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I don't have really any rare games.

Final Fantasy VI Advance complete with nice box and contents is slightly expensive.
Twin Snakes...eh.
Sealed Wrath of the Lich King CE.
Bioshock LE with sealed Big Daddy figure maybe.
I regrettably sold Steel Battalion awhile back.
Looking at prices, WotLK is going for over $150 with bids on ebay. Got it on clearance at Circuit City a few years ago. So I guess that's my highest value right there.

_woLf

I have absolutely no idea if any of my games are rare, and I'm too lazy to check.

I have Xenoblade. Apparently after checking ebay it's rare.

Neat.

xenoblade
the last story's first print perhaps
and lunar 2 complete with the ghaleon punching doll.

i got drunk and bought the balls of steel version of duke nukem at gamestop for like 10 bucks lol...

and final fantasy 6 on gba sealed, i found it back when i used to work at kmart

i'm sure i have more but I'm too lazy to take pictures or dig through everything

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
US/North American versions, and complete (box + manual) unless otherwise noted. Some I'm not sure if they're that rare, but I'm writing them just in case (marked with a *).

Saturn:
  • Panzer Dragoon Saga
  • Radiant Silvergun (Japanese)
  • Burning Rangers (EU/PAL)
  • Guardian Heroes
  • Dragon Force
  • Shining Force 3 (Scenario 1)
  • Shining the Holy Ark *
  • Legend of Oasis *
PlayStation:
  • Suikoden 2
  • Suikoden 1 (disc only in jewel case... but I printed the original Japanese cover so it looks better than the retail US version ^^)
Other:
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

My boyfriend owns the following on SNES, carts only, dunno how much those are still worth, what with the countless ports and re-releases:
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Final Fantasy II (IV)
  • Final Fantasy III (VI)

I also have FFTactics, Breath of Fire 3, Xenogears, Castlevania: SotN and Silent Hill for the PS1, which I recall were worth quite a bit on eBay (though not in the same amounts as, say, Panzer Dragoon Saga) before their PSN re-releases, though Suikoden 1 seems to be worth a bit still. Then again, I imagined the HD release of Guardian Heroes on XBLA would also lower the prices for the Saturn version, but they're still morbidly high on eBay... o_O

Edit: oh yeah, not to brag, but I didn't pay a particularly high price for any of those, because I'm not a collector, I have these games because I wanted to play them and I love them (well, except Xenoblade... >_>). I mostly got them shortly after they came out. The exceptions are some Saturn games which I had trouble finding in stores at the time even when the Saturn was still active, due to Sega of Canada's atrocious distribution and the pre-Internet era, so some of them I got off eBay but still managed to find decent deals (Shining Force 3, Dragon Force), and there are 4 of those games that I bought off a friend who was getting rid of his game collection for a stupidly low price (I felt so bad I told him he'd make a lot more money on eBay, but he insisted on selling them to me since "money isn't important, besides you'll enjoy and appreciate the games more than I did", were his words): Panzer Dragoon Saga, Radiant Silvergun, Shining the Holy Ark and Guardian Heroes for... $45 USD, shipping included. Not each, mind you, but total. I got soooo lucky. xD

Top Bottom