• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi 4 released (quad core A72, 1GB/2GB/4GB DDR4, USB 3.0, 4K/60fps HEVC)

Bullet Club

Price

Pi 4 1GB $35
Pi 4 2GB $45
Pi 4 4GB $55

Specifications
  • Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
  • 1GB, 2GB or 4GB LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM (depending on model)
  • 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • 2 USB 3.0 ports; 2 USB 2.0 ports.
  • Raspberry Pi standard 40 pin GPIO header (fully backwards compatible with previous boards)
  • 2 × micro-HDMI ports (up to 4kp60 supported)
  • 2-lane MIPI DSI display port
  • 2-lane MIPI CSI camera port
  • 4-pole stereo audio and composite video port
  • H.265 (4kp60 decode), H264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode)
  • OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics
  • Micro-SD card slot for loading operating system and data storage
  • 5V DC via USB-C connector (minimum 3A*)
  • 5V DC via GPIO header (minimum 3A*)
  • Power over Ethernet (PoE) enabled (requires separate PoE HAT)
  • Operating temperature: 0 – 50 degrees C ambient
* A good quality 2.5A power supply can be used if downstream USB peripherals consume less than 500mA in total.

KA60ky0.png

McCheese

Should handle N64 emulation nicely now. Is it compatible with the PI3 cases?

New video decoder to handle 4k output is also a big plus, can't wait to see some 4k CRT shaders.

aren't those the specs of the Playstation classic? Except without the case and two controllers? Well for the 35 dollar one at least.

Aintitcool

Banned
Disgusting isn't it... so many people are going to destroy those ports. And I don't know about you but I have never asked for multi monitor 4K support from a Pi.
People who want to display ads on 4k tvs did though. Pi's are excellent tv computers.

They really need to implement some kind of storage support beyond microSD at some point. The growth in system power is reaching the point where bottlenecking it at the storage performance like that is kind of hilarious.

nowhat

They really need to implement some kind of storage support beyond microSD at some point. The growth in system power is reaching the point where bottlenecking it at the storage performance like that is kind of hilarious.
There are two USB3 ports, just add a hard drive? Having the OS stored in microSD doesn't matter that much, especially with 4GB of RAM - you can likely read pretty much everything you need into RAM once and keep it there (when it comes to emulation/media center functionality).

Romulus

I was reading a tester's impressions on reddit saying n64 and ps1 games aren't much better.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
Last edited:

Bullet Club

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Which OS is optimized for pi4? Or is it the same ones (same versions) of pi3?
Raspbian or Ubuntu aren't really my favorite distros...

Last edited:

dan76

I wonder if it will run the sega model 2 and supermodel3 emulators? I might have to take the plunge and try one out.

Last edited:

FranXico

Which OS is optimized for pi4? Or is it the same ones (same versions) of pi3?
Raspbian or Ubuntu aren't really my favorite distros...
I hope they are also releasing a new Raspbian version for 4. This one, along with the toolchain, is starting to feel very dated.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I hope they are also releasing a new Raspbian version for 4. This one, along with the toolchain, is starting to feel very dated.
Just checked their website... None of the OSes even mentions Pi4. I guess the ones for 3+ should work. I'll wait until a proper optimized OS exists for the 4 before buying one. sadly no Linux Mint :(, I'll have to deal with Ubuntu mate, although the specs should be enough to handle desktop versions of Linux now.

Bullet Club

Eben Upton has announced the release of a major new version of Raspbian, a Debian-based distribution for the Raspberry Pi single-board computers. The updated build, version 2019-06-20, is the first image based on the upcoming release of Debian 10 "Buster". Information about the new Raspbian was provided as part of today's blog post announcing the brand-new Raspberry Pi 4: "To support Raspberry Pi 4, we are shipping a radically overhauled operating system, based on the forthcoming Debian 10 'Buster' release. This brings numerous behind-the-scenes technical improvements, along with an extensively modernised user interface, and updated applications including the Chromium 74 web browser. ... Some advice for those who are keen to get going with Raspbian Buster right away: we strongly recommend you download a new image, rather than upgrading an existing card. This ensures that you’re starting with a clean, working Buster system. If you really, really want to try upgrading, make a backup first." As usual, Raspbian is available in both "standard" and "lite" editions; here are the download links: 2019-06-20-raspbian-buster.zip (1,096MB, SHA256, signature, torrent, pkglist), 2019-06-20-raspbian-buster-lite.zip (406MB, signature, SHA256, torrent).

The second setting, arm_freq=1750, sets the clock speed of the SoC’s four Arm Cortex-A72 processor cores to 1,750MHz or 1.75GHz, an increase of 250MHz over the stock 1.5GHz setting. At the time of writing, that was as high an increase as possible: Anything over 1,750MHz actively harms performance. Post-launch, firmware updates may increase this limit as far as 2GHz for those with adequate cooling.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I hope retropi updates quick. I really want to try N64 and possibly dreamcast on this thing.

Maybe some high end arcade stuff like tekken, and killer instinct and other late 90’s stuff (I know that’s not “high end” but it didn’t work on the last pi)

Will wait until that to make sure the boards are stable though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's a pretty sweet upgrade over the 3B model that I have. It's crazy that these things are still so cheap.

Mihos

Gold Member
PoE and PXE boot looks like the way I will go. I am not a fan of running off the SD.

The 4g of memory will let me use it for some of my machine vision projects, also.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I've never had a pi, might have to finally get one to play with. Is it possible to turn one into a Chromecast like device? Something you can control from your phone?

nowhat

I've never had a pi, might have to finally get one to play with. Is it possible to turn one into a Chromecast like device? Something you can control from your phone?
Dunno about Chromecast-like functionality, but provided your TV is not ancient, it probably supports HDMI-CEC, as does the Pi, meaning you can control it with your TV remote.

Wow, will a “normal” retailer stock this already... one order won’t go through, another doesn’t specify shipping cost till it ships (sorry, not buying something without knowing the cost), and another only sells bundles. The last was simply out of stock.

Vlaphor

Some part of me wants this, even though I barely used my Pi 2 after I put RetroPie on there. I have a Microcenter nearby-ish, so I could pick up on whenever I want, but other than emulation, I can't think of why I'd want one.

Still kind of want one though.

Trogdor1123

Dunno about Chromecast-like functionality, but provided your TV is not ancient, it probably supports HDMI-CEC, as does the Pi, meaning you can control it with your TV remote.
I've literally never heard of this. Got any links I can read up on it? I have 5 or so year old 60 inch smart lg tv and a 4 year old Samsung plasma. Would those work? I guess it's hard to guess with no model numbers

Shit. I already have a Raspberry Pi 0 and a Raspberry Pi 3B. I guess I will get this too. The 4GB model sounds too good.

Last edited:

nowhat

I've literally never heard of this. Got any links I can read up on it? I have 5 or so year old 60 inch smart lg tv and a 4 year old Samsung plasma. Would those work? I guess it's hard to guess with no model numbers
Both should be fine. HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) is an incredibly useful standard, it allows controlling different devices via HDMI no matter what manufacturer - which probably is why almost every company insist calling it something else: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

My guess is Dreamcast, PSP, and N64 will run well on this. If that ends up being the case, I will definitely upgrade.

Mattyp

Gold Member

Just install plex or whatever else tickles your fancy and get a dedicated remote/keyboard for $20 bucks and use it as it’s own HTPC stuck to the back of the tv.

Don’t get Chromecast personally always hated it after using it just once.

somerset

This project started at 15 dollars, and the idea of a computer so cheap it was essentially free- no longer. But admittedly the project now serves a very different sector- I recall once buying a kit Z80 board solution from maplins for the same usage solution to some paid contract.

But even so, TV boxes sell often for as little as 10ish quid, and have the case, PSU, and cables. This little pi is starting to get *very* expensive.

As for "what can it run"- well it should run everything- it is a high end solution as the specs and price imply. *But* in the schene of things, an 'industrial' APU from AMD will be a *lot* better for many of the usage cases people are talking about- but I don't think one can get really cheap pi like AMD solutions yet.

And Pi 4 is built for Windows 10. As Intel dies, MS is once again seriously porting Windows beyond the x64 (last time this happened I was using Windows NT).

PS notice how thermal throttling is now a pi issue too. In other words, want max performance? You *must* use cooling.

PhoenixTank

Definitely eyeing one up as a cheap media player - h265 hardware decode is great, but unclear how well it'll decode VC1/AV1 in software.

This project started at 15 dollars, and the idea of a computer so cheap it was essentially free- no longer. But admittedly the project now serves a very different sector- I recall once buying a kit Z80 board solution from maplins for the same usage solution to some paid contract.
You lost me. The first Raspberry Pi (Model B) was $35. The base Raspberry Pi 4 Model B is also $35. I imagine there will also be a cheaper Raspberry Pi 4 Model A. Are you referring to something else?

... I was thinking why are phones costing upwards 1000$ now ? some plastic casing and screen worth 900 $ ? :messenger_dizzy:
In a word: Yes.

In more than one word, those phone OLED panels aren't cheap and there's basically 2 suppliers of them in the entire world. You're also forgetting the cell network modem, the internal storage, the various sensors, the battery pack, the camera modules, the microphones and speakers, and most importantly the R&D + manufacturing cost to fit all of that into the tiny space that represents the chassis of the phone.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if this is beefy enough for an always on plex server...

I already have a Raspi 3 doing that duty. Plugged in a big HD and mounted the install location there too as the metadata chews up all the space on the internal storage. Cron job makes regular backups via Rsync to a 2nd pi with a 2nd big HD which serves as a client sat under my TV. All of this works flawlessly for me. Finally the really hard to get stuff gets archived to Amazon Glacier storage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom