• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi 4 released (quad core A72, 1GB/2GB/4GB DDR4, USB 3.0, 4K/60fps HEVC)

HUELEN10

I already have a Raspi 3 doing that duty. Plugged in a big HD and mounted the install location there too as the metadata chews up all the space on the internal storage. Cron job makes regular backups via Rsync to a 2nd pi with a 2nd big HD which serves as a client sat under my TV. All of this works flawlessly for me. Finally the really hard to get stuff gets archived to Amazon Glacier storage.
Thanks you for the insight! This is very useful to me as I want something capable, but most importantly low-power. Was debating between something like a pi or a compute stick, or a broken notebook computer.

KiteGr

So is this basically a mini PC?

Never heard of this at all until today.
Kind of. It was originally intended as a mini PC for educational purposes.
Due to it's incredibly small size, ease of use and low price, people are making all sort of custom projects on it. We gamers mainly use it to make custom retro consoles, (3d printing the box and buttons, adding emulators, ect...), but there are lots of other uses. A friend of mine is using one on it's rooter to block all ads from even reaching his PC, as opposed to an ad-block program that simply prevents them from showing.

Last edited:
I've never had a pi, might have to finally get one to play with. Is it possible to turn one into a Chromecast like device? Something you can control from your phone?
Yes you can. Ive got a 3b (or 3b+) running picoreplayer with 7inch touch screen and hifiberry dac pro, but you can use it as a headless device using an app like squeezer. Works well.

Cato

Banned
So is this basically a mini PC?

Never heard of this at all until today.

Basically, yes.

If you install https://libreelec.tv/ on it it makes a very very nice media player.
Another popular way to use it is for retro gaming https://retropie.org.uk/
Or you can use it as a "normal" computer and run a normal linux distribution or in, or windows even.

RPi's are very fun little boxes that can be had for very little money.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Just install plex or whatever else tickles your fancy and get a dedicated remote/keyboard for $20 bucks and use it as it’s own HTPC stuck to the back of the tv.

Don’t get Chromecast personally always hated it after using it just once.
Stadia supports chromecast.
4k ultra
Kind of. It was originally intended as a mini PC for educational purposes.
Due to it's incredibly small size, ease of use and low price, people are making all sort of custom projects on it. We gamers mainly use it to make custom retro consoles, (3d printing the box and buttons, adding emulators, ect...), but there are lots of other uses. A friend of mine is using one on it's rooter to block all ads from even reaching his PC, as opposed to an ad-block program that simply prevents them from showing.
you said rooter hehe

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks you for the insight! This is very useful to me as I want something capable, but most importantly low-power. Was debating between something like a pi or a compute stick, or a broken notebook computer.

Glad to be of some use! Btw beware old tutorials on setting Plex server on pi up as many will refer to the old repositories. Plex now have their own official Raspi package so look for a tutorial with that.

I use mine every day to stream music to my phone in my car on the way to work (phone connected to car stereo via Bluetooth of course), watch TV and movies on the TV via the under TV pi, and store terabytes of photos of my cats. It's enabled me to ditch streaming services and the bullshit that goes with them. True freedom.

nowhat

If you install https://libreelec.tv/ on it it makes a very very nice media player.
https://osmc.tv is another good alternative for a media center.

Back when Netflix wasn't really cracking down on VPNs, I used to have a Pi function as a VPN WiFi access point - watch US Netflix with any device at home, just connect to said AP. Lately it has been such a game of cat and mouse that I haven't bothered.

DanielsM

Banned

Back when Netflix wasn't really cracking down on VPNs, I used to have a Pi function as a VPN WiFi access point - watch US Netflix with any device at home, just connect to said AP. Lately it has been such a game of cat and mouse that I haven't bothered.

Somehow I never ran across osmc before, I might need to check that out at some point. I've been running libreelec for quite some time.

FYI here are a few things I use that are pretty nifty, pi-hole is great for fighting ads.
https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-owncloud/ (I haven't tried owncloud yet)

I would think with the faster USB it would make the Pi4 a better candid for using as a NAS. I'll probably keep my internal projects on RP3 for power consumption purposes.

Setting up Minecraft.

The Snake

It's basically a fork of Kodi (née XBMC), tailored for Pi/1st gen Apple TV/their own hardware which you can buy from the site.

I have three Raspberry Pis running OSMC at all times; the "main" one connected to my living room TV with an external HDD attached. This acts as a hub to stream video and music to all of my devices, and I also use it for file storage.

OSMC (as well as Kodi) is great for getting a Netflix-esque GUI for all of your movies and TV shows. But it also does a lot more.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

And that's about the exact moment when a sensible person downloads the shows onto his Plex server and puts a Plex player under the TV.

Kazza

Emulation update:

- PSP, N64, Dreamcast still not up and running on the new system yet.
- 16-bit systems, GBA and PS1 all working at full speed.
- The guy in the video doesn't think that it will be capable of full speed Saturn emulation.

In other news, Retroarch have released a new feature called "run-ahead" which apparently reduces input to to below what it was on original hardware.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Am I gonna have to build myself another arcade machine since I bought the 3b+ a few months ago?
1447758496354.jpg

I mean I already have some extra parts to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

llien

I've never had a pi, might have to finally get one to play with. Is it possible to turn one into a Chromecast like device? Something you can control from your phone?
It could probably do much more than chromecast, on Amazon Fire levels, when you don't need "master" device to control it, and just use your remote. (TV must support HDMI CEC though, most manufacturers do support it, but call it different names)

See my rant about chromecast vs fire here:

Ol'Scratch

So riddle me this. Retropie 4.4 is rather refined at this point on the 3b hardware. Now obviously on the Pi 4 hardware it should be rather nice. So, in theory would it be better get a 3b now or just wait for the holy land of Pi 4 once they get Retro Pie ironed out for it? (I am eyeing the Neogeo mini Samurai Shodown limited edition but everyone keeps telling you can't hurry love oh no you'll just have to wait. Love don't come easy. It's a game of give and take. I'm like what the fuck does that have to do with video games?

DanielsM

Banned
You can buy more powerful computers in a usb stick for the same price.

This does not impress me anymore.

I think price is just one feature, but I still think the price is generally going to be half or less (depends), and you're going to get more still. $35-55 seems pretty competitive to me to beat, also you have additional usb ports and the ability to customize hardware i.e. attachments and such.... and most of the legacy hardware stuff can work on this. Depends on what you are going to use it for, imo. I'm sticking with the RP3b for my internal stuff for my house i.e. server software and monitoring.

Ol'Scratch

Just going to try to toss this back out there and try again for an answer if I might. Again this is specifically in the wheelhouse of retropie and emulation.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

So riddle me this. Retropie 4.4 is rather refined at this point on the 3b hardware. Now obviously on the Pi 4 hardware it should be rather nice. So, in theory would it be better get a 3b now or just wait for the holy land of Pi 4 once they get Retro Pie ironed out for it?
Get a Pi 4. It will be way better, even just for 8-bit & 16-bit stuff.

Bullet Club

RetroArch, runahead and Raspberry Pi 4 – the results are in

Thanks to a tester called Namanix, we can tell you in no uncertain terms that runahead with RetroArch works great on Raspberry Pi 4 for systems up to and including the GBA. With runahead configured right, you can get latency BETTER than the original console (on a CRT)!

I repeat again – with Raspberry Pi 4 and RetroArch, latency is NOT A PROBLEM thanks to runahead. You don’t need magic controllers or any fancy tech – but I’ll let the numbers speak for themselves.
  • Mario Kart Advance – VBA Next – 5 frames ahead – runahead – second instance – 65-75 fps
  • Super Mario Advance – VBA Next – 2 frames ahead – 2 instances – 86fps
  • Mario Kart Advance – VBA Next – 2 frames ahead – 2 instances – between 65 – 75 fps full speed
  • Mario Kart Advance – VBA Next – 2 frames ahead – 1 instance – 50fps
  • Super Castlevania 4 – Snes9x 2010 – 5 frames ahead – 1 instance – 68fps
  • Super Castlevania 4 – Snes9x 2010 – 5 frames ahead – 2 instances – 140fps
  • Sonic – Genesis Plus GX – 5 frames ahead – 2 instances – 125fps
  • Streets of Rage 2 – Genesis Plus GX – 2 frames ahead – 1 instance – 117fps
  • Super Castlevania 4 – Snes9x 2010 – 2 frames ahead – 1 instance – 100fps
  • Super Castlevania 4 – Snes9x 2010 – 2 frames ahead – 2 instances – 135fps
So, in other words, RetroArch and runahead is a done deal for NES, SNES, Genesis, and GBA on a Raspberry Pi 4. Better than console latency, better than on a real CRT. Put a fork in it, it’s done! All this for $50 tech, too. Kinda hard to beat in value.

RetroArch, runahead and Raspberry Pi 4 – the results are in

Thanks to a tester called Namanix, we can tell you in no uncertain terms that runahead with RetroArch works great on Raspberry Pi 4 for systems up to and including the GBA. With runahead configured right, you can get latency BETTER than the original console (on a CRT)!

I repeat again – with Raspberry Pi 4 and RetroArch, latency is NOT A PROBLEM thanks to runahead. You don’t need magic controllers or any fancy tech – but I’ll let the numbers speak for themselves.
  • Mario Kart Advance – VBA Next – 5 frames ahead – runahead – second instance – 65-75 fps
  • Super Mario Advance – VBA Next – 2 frames ahead – 2 instances – 86fps
  • Mario Kart Advance – VBA Next – 2 frames ahead – 2 instances – between 65 – 75 fps full speed
  • Mario Kart Advance – VBA Next – 2 frames ahead – 1 instance – 50fps
  • Super Castlevania 4 – Snes9x 2010 – 5 frames ahead – 1 instance – 68fps
  • Super Castlevania 4 – Snes9x 2010 – 5 frames ahead – 2 instances – 140fps
  • Sonic – Genesis Plus GX – 5 frames ahead – 2 instances – 125fps
  • Streets of Rage 2 – Genesis Plus GX – 2 frames ahead – 1 instance – 117fps
  • Super Castlevania 4 – Snes9x 2010 – 2 frames ahead – 1 instance – 100fps
  • Super Castlevania 4 – Snes9x 2010 – 2 frames ahead – 2 instances – 135fps
So, in other words, RetroArch and runahead is a done deal for NES, SNES, Genesis, and GBA on a Raspberry Pi 4. Better than console latency, better than on a real CRT. Put a fork in it, it’s done! All this for $50 tech, too. Kinda hard to beat in value.

I've screwed around with this and honestly don't see the point. Just seems like something else to tweak and take time away from actually playing a game.

Pi would be great.. if it ran Windows. You could probably do more with a Core 2 Duo computer and an old ass GPU.

Birdo

Banned
I know it's a lot of work, but I realy wish people would hurry up and get Retropie up and running on the Pi4.

I don't know why people are farting around with Gamecube stuff that will never run full speed. They should be putting all effort into N64, PSX and Dreamcast, which may actually be doable.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Really? Little stick on heatsinks aren’t even enough? Just curious as I was thinking about nabbing one of these.

In a sustained workload scenario these will only delay the inevitable.

I have a 4gb one and wholeheartedly recommend it, it's a massive upgrade from the pi 3 but... It runs hot.

On top of that, given the Pi 4 has lots of headroom for overclocking (base 1.5ghz, many units are stable at 2ghz, most are at 1.75ghz) active cooling is a no brainer.

Last edited:
Slightly OT, but has anyone got a hifiberry DAC+DSP running with their Pi? Looking at getting one to replace my existing DAC+pro (running picoreplayer) to allow for room correction, but want to know how hard it is to get setup.

Iorv3th

Hows the streaming of 4k content from a media server?

I wouldn't use it for 4k at all. Even though it 'supports' it. I have mine hooked up to my 4k tv and it would sputter and screen tear and glitch out constantly just on the desktop. Had to set it to 1080p.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I just finished my last pi4 project.
Turned 1 into a diablo 2 box.

I always have the same problem with the pi.
After i manage to make it work.

I have this

"NOW WHAT?" moment 🤦‍♂️

Bullet Club

Vulkan is coming to Raspberry Pi: first triangle

Following on from our recent announcement that Raspberry Pi 4 is OpenGL ES 3.1 conformant, we have some more news to share on the graphics front. We have started work on a much requested feature: an open-source Vulkan driver!

Vulkan

Standards body Khronos describes Vulkan as “a new generation graphics and compute API that provides high-efficiency, cross-platform access to modern GPUs”. The Vulkan API has been designed to better accommodate modern GPUs and address common performance bottlenecks in OpenGL, providing graphics developers with new means to squeeze the best performance out of the hardware.

First triangle

The “first triangle” image is something of a VideoCore graphics tradition: while I arrived at Broadcom too late to witness the VideoCore III version, I still remember the first time James and Gary were able to get a flawless, single-tile, RGB triangle out of VideoCore IV in simulation. So, without further ado, here’s the VideoCore VI Vulkan version.

5e4qEmW.png

Before you get too excited, remember that this is just the start of the development process for Vulkan on Raspberry Pi. While there have been community efforts in the direction of Vulkan support (originally on VideoCore IV) as far back as 2018, Igalia has only been working on this new driver for a few weeks, and we still have a very long development roadmap ahead of us before we can put an actual driver in the hands of our users. So don’t hold your breath, and instead look forward to more news from us and Igalia as they make further development progress.

Source: Raspberry Pi

Top Bottom