• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Trilogy |OT| Rip your PS3 a new one

TripOpt55

Beat the first game and jumped into the second. Everything a sequel should be. Amazing how much they took the concept of the first and blew it out for this game. So many improvements.

ScrubJay

I just platinumed Ratchet and Clank. It's a good fun game for sure but very rough compared to the later games in the series. Kind of generic weapons with no levelling, and strafing really makes the difference like night and day. The first game I played was Going Commando so this is twice now I've had to take a step back. Plus, Ratchet is kind of dick in the first one.

Onto Going Commando now. I only played the first level a few nights back, but the difference between the games is immense.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I'm playing the 2nd one now, wow what a great game. The game looks great. So glad they released these and a great price.

Got the platinum trophy in Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando today. I felt that the game was really fantastic, and way better than the first Ratchet and Clank. I even laughed more at this one than I ever did with the first one. The weapons were really fun to use as well. The only thing I had an issue with was the slight loose feeling when I had to control the ship. Besides that, I had no qualms. I'm looking forward to playing Up Your Arsenal. :)

Number45

Ugh, does anyone have any tips (at this point I'll take simple directions, because those I've found online don't seem to be correct) for the hidden infiltrator puzzle for the nanotech boost on Todano in Going Commando? Just can't seem to get it right. :(

Also, I've remembered why I considered this to be my least favourite of 1-3. Too much flying.

I need to buy this game, but I have such a great backlog. I haven't even started the Jak Collection yet, situation's that pathetic. :(

Toppot

Ugh, does anyone have any tips (at this point I'll take simple directions, because those I've found online don't seem to be correct) for the hidden infiltrator puzzle for the nanotech boost on Todano in Going Commando? Just can't seem to get it right. :(

Also, I've remembered why I considered this to be my least favourite of 1-3. Too much flying.

There is not one way to solve it. It's either different by region, randomly generated, or there are 2 or more solutions randomly picked per game.

On my EU R&C Collection copy the directions are:

Down, down-left, down, down-right, right, down-left, down-right, right, down-left, down-left, down, down-right, down, down-right.

On a YouTube video I saw a guy with:

Down, down-left, down, down, up-right, down, down-left, down, down-left, up, up-left, down, down, down.

Hopefully one of those should work for you, if not it means there is at least 3 ways to solve the puzzle on the sphere in 14 steps where a point may not be crossed twice.

Hope that helps =]

P.S. Going Commando is my favourite R&C game, sheer variety of things to do and how the adventurous that makes it feel just make it top imo.

Number45

Thanks, I'm on the EU collection so fingers crossed that works! Working on the platinum bolts and skill points as I go through NG+.

So, I finally have the platinum trophies in all 3 of the Ratchet and Clank games. Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal didn't have any horrible trophies, thank goodness. Luckily, I was able to get the 1 million bolts trophy in the first Ratchet and Clank game, and I never ever want to see a trophy like that ever again, haha. Anyways, I had a blast with the trilogy. Like I stated before, it was nice to see how Ratchet started, since my first Ratchet was Tools of Destruction. It was kind of crazy that I was still impressed with what Insomniac did with these games, especially with Going Commando. You know that's a mark of a great game developer, when their games are still good even to this day. I'll now rank the games in order in which I found them to be enjoyable.

Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Ratchet and Clank

Note: I don't think the third one and first one are horrible games, I just highly preferred Going Commando. I guess because it felt so epic, and everything was just right.

One thing I didn't really care for in Up Your Arsenal were the missions. I don't know why, but I couldn't get into them. I'm not sure about the multiplayer, since I didn't try it. Not sure if I will, but I'll give a spin someday, maybe. With that said, what I really did like were the Vid Comics. I wish Insomniac would release a full retail, or PSN, game just like the Vid Comics, because I had a blast going through them. I wanted more after finishing the last one, haha. The characters in the game were good, especially Dr. Nefarious and Lawrence. When I saw them show up, I knew I was going to laugh a lot, since I loved them in A Crack in Time. Courtney Gears was also great. I loved how she was based off of Britney Spears, and the fight with her was funny. Since I completed all three games, I decided to play the Sly demo for the first time, and I can not wait for it to release. It was a short demo, but it was a nice treat to have after completing all three Ratchet games.

TEH-CJ

Banned
weird thing I noticed...why does going commando look significantly better than up your arsenal ?

has better texture work, better draw distance, better art, better level design, and seems to be pushing more polygons than UYA?

just looks way better.

NBtoaster

weird thing I noticed...why does going commando look significantly better than up your arsenal ?

has better texture work, better draw distance, better art, better level design, and seems to be pushing more polygons than UYA?

just looks way better.

On PS2 UYA had a bloom effects, it's missing in this version.

ipJdHod82IvHo.JPG

ifMmkFG9fwtOu.JPG

TEH-CJ

Banned
On PS2 UYA had a bloom effects, it's missing in this version.

Wow....

Doesn't surprise me though. the ps2 is a filtrate monster, it does some effects better than any next gen console. people call me crazy

try to replicate the partical effects in zoe 2 and JAK 2 on a next gen system and watch it come to a crawl.

I still think jak 2 is one of the best looking game ever made, even today. due to the insane amount of polygons and partical effects on screen, its just insane. Jak 3...was a massive dowgrade imo.

closest we got is resistance 3 partical effects, even then it wasn't as good and had to be running at sub hd to get those effects running at a decent frame rate.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Why are these games semi widescreen? The cutscenes are 480p 4:3. Such a shame. Jax an Daxter wasn't like this.

because the cutscenes were pre-rendered in many cases, and there was no way to re-render and change the aspect ration without cutting stuff out. So they just up-ressed them and left them at their original aspect ratio. The correct call, in my opinion

coopolon

So are these games really rendering at 1080p? The fact that it defaults to 720p unless you force it to 1080p makes me really doubt the advertisements were sincere.

I just figured out you have to unselect 720p to make it run 1080p so haven't played in 1080p but I suspect that it's just upscaling and it won't really look any different.

bridegur

Playing through the first game again reminds me how much the series has gotten away from platforming and exploration. What a shame.

R&C1 is like...the only one you can really consider a platformer. After that, they're third person shooters with cute mascots and a bunch of shit to collect on the side.

injurai

Banned
R&C1 is like...the only one you can really consider a platformer. After that, they're third person shooters with cute mascots and a bunch of shit to collect on the side.

I disagree. I think the first one you just end up fighting the controls since there isn't any strafing. Maybe in the future series that is a little more true. But in GC there are entire sections where you are just navigating. I remember this one massive wall you had to scale (the planet with the 2nd race circuit and arena I think that gave you the charge boots). There is still stuff like that in the 3rd game, though I think that game was a little less vertical in nature.

zatara

Just downloaded on PSN (thanks jstevenson for the help), and I'm freakin impressed with how good these ports are visually. I'm starting on the original and it looks pretty damn good for being such an old game. Although I can't stand Ratchet's voice already in the original.

Yuterald

Booted up the original Ratchet & Clank yesterday and played a bunch more of it this morning. It's been YEARS since I've played the original Trilogy. I mastered/100%'ed all of these games back when they first came out on PS2, but holy shit is the first game so much better than I remembered. The first Ratchet game is designed so flawlessly. What's fascinating to me, now that I'm older and wiser, is how each planet splits in two directions at the start. There's two ways to explore each area as soon as you land. Each path eventually wraps around to the beginning too. This is my favorite kind of stage/world design, I fucking love it. I can't seem to remember if this design philosophy stays consistent, but up to the 4th planet, it has been the case. The pacing with the upgrades and backtracking for Gold Bolts and other Gadgets is really good too. It's just so fucking pleasant to play!

injurai

Banned
Booted up the original Ratchet & Clank yesterday and played a bunch more of it this morning. It's been YEARS since I've played the original Trilogy. I mastered/100%'ed all of these games back when they first came out on PS2, but holy shit is the first game so much better than I remembered. The first Ratchet game is designed so flawlessly. What's fascinating to me, now that I'm older and wiser, is how each planet splits in two directions at the start. There's two ways to explore each area as soon as you land. Each path eventually wraps around to the beginning too. This is my favorite kind of stage/world design, I fucking love it. I can't seem to remember if this design philosophy stays consistent, but up to the 4th planet, it has been the case. The pacing with the upgrades and backtracking for Gold Bolts and other Gadgets is really good too. It's just so fucking pleasant to play!

I love this post <3

I hear a lot of hate for the first game, and lack of strafing aside it is a remarkable piece of game design. I absolutely adore how the levels are designed and how game progression works. From the pacing, to the unique encounters it is just incredibly flushed out.

Lan_97

Finally opened this up after finishing the campaign in Full Frontal Assault. A bit jarring going back to a dated UI and control scheme, but still fun.

The 3D in this game is really terrible, especially coming off of FFA which had excellent depth. The effect is incredibly flat at max settings and is about on par with the Sly Cooper Collection, which is borderline useless. It's too bad, I was pretty excited to play full R&C games in 3D after seeing how nice FFA looked.

Drago

So I picked up the controller bundle for this about a month ago (the box is multilingual too... :/ ) because, hey, I've never played any of these games before and I get a controller for a lot cheaper, plus a demo for Sly 4. (Which I will have very soon!)

I didn't really start playing Ratchet 1 until a few days ago though, and wow; This game is really good so far. I just got up to Batalia (I think that's the name) and it's been a great experience so far. Weapons are diverse and great to use (Suck Cannon is the best), the environments and models look great, especially in HD, and the level design is phenomenal. As a side note, I'm finding myself to be a complete Bolt Whore - it feels so satisfying to pick them up as I go. :p
I still like the Jak games better overall though, but that may change as I go through the trilogy.

After I beat the game I'm gonna try to platinum it and then I'll move on to Going Commando in a month or two so I don't burn out. I've been missing out for so long on these games, I'm really glad I discovered them. :D

Number45

The weapons are hands down the best thing about these games (actually the same goes for a lot of Insomniac titles), enjoy.

Magnus

Saw this for $20 today used. Probably should have nabbed it.

(Just curious -- does it come with a manual when purchased new?)

How did this HD port job turn out? Is this a good way to experience all of these games for the first time? I played R&C Future's demo for a few minutes and enjoyed it. I forget why I didn't really get into the games back on the PS2 but always heard good things.

I'm a HUGE SMGalaxy fan; will these games and I get along?

scitek

Didn't see this thread, I accidentally bumped the other one lol

I'm playing the first game for the first time, and while I think it's fun, the aiming really almost ruins it for me. It's amazing how much the controls improved the sequels.

Didn't see this thread, I accidentally bumped the other one lol

I'm playing the first game for the first time, and while I think it's fun, the aiming really almost ruins it for me. It's amazing how much the controls improved the sequels.

Yeah, the first game hasn't aged gracefully at all. I mean, the humor is still there, but the controls/checkpoint system are a thing of nightmares in today's gaming experience.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah, the first game hasn't aged gracefully at all. I mean, the humor is still there, but the controls/checkpoint system are a thing of nightmares in today's gaming experience.

Yeah, I'm on the final level here and it's pretty much eroded my opinion of the game to "who thought any part of this was fun, what a piece of shit" levels.

I love the R&C Future games, but goddamn I'm regretting buying the trilogy now.

Vashetti

Banned
Ratchet as a character is so shit in the first game.

I'm glad they took the feedback on board and un-dickified him in the next game.

Toppot

Yeah, I'm on the final level here and it's pretty much eroded my opinion of the game to "who thought any part of this was fun, what a piece of shit" levels.

I love the R&C Future games, but goddamn I'm regretting buying the trilogy now.

You have to keep in mind that games, standards and R&C itself have gotten better over time. It was great to play it the first time when it came out, it is still pretty enjoyable to me. It is a lot harder to play now we are used to better design, strafing etc.

R&C 2 is much better just for the strafing alone, weapon upgrades, arenas, space battles, ship upgrades. It just has everything a R&C game should.

R&C 3 is good to, lots to do, pretty fun all round.

Give the second game a go, and if you don't like it well skip the third =P R&C 2 is the best R&C game in my opinion, and I've played them all =P

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You have to keep in mind that games, standards and R&C itself have gotten better over time. It was great to play it the first time when it came out, it is still pretty enjoyable to me. It is a lot harder to play now we are used to better design, strafing etc.

R&C 2 is much better just for the strafing alone, weapon upgrades, arenas, space battles, ship upgrades. It just has everything a R&C game should.

R&C 3 is good to, lots to do, pretty fun all round.

Give the second game a go, and if you don't like it well skip the third =P R&C 2 is the best R&C game in my opinion, and I've played them all =P

It's massively disappointing that they didn't take the opportunity to go back and improve the actual gameplay with the port.

How bad are the checkpoints in 2/3? I'm tired of having to repeat a bunch of boring combat because i messed up one jump.

Toppot

It's massively disappointing that they didn't take the opportunity to go back and improve the actual gameplay with the port.

How bad are the checkpoints in 2/3? I'm tired of having to repeat a bunch of boring combat because i messed up one jump.

I agree that it would've been nice if they could've added to the port of R&C 1, strafing would've been a god send.

There are a few harsh checkpoints in R&C 2, Planet Jobba and Planet Dobbo stick in my mind. I last played it a while ago and I've played it so much that I've forgotten difficult/tricky parts xD R&C 2 really helps with levelling of guns, armour etc, it is the staple that all subsequent games come from. Also I forgot racing and harvesting vast areas for crystals to things you can do. R&C 2 is an improvement in everyway. Plus you get discounts on some weapons if you have a R&C 1 save with the Hologuise.

Just bought this today because of the PSN discount. Can someone tell me why it isn't booting up in 1080p? It was advertised as having full 1080p support(720p with 3d) but this doesn't seem to be the case. I just got out of playing GT6 demo which worked fine in 1080p mode so it's not my TV or settings. This seems like a really shady thing to do honestly. Want my money back if this really isn't native 1080p like they said.

Toppot

Just bought this today because of the PSN discount. Can someone tell me why it isn't booting up in 1080p? It was advertised as having full 1080p support(720p with 3d) but this doesn't seem to be the case. I just got out of playing GT6 demo which worked fine in 1080p mode so it's not my TV or settings. This seems like a really shady thing to do honestly. Want my money back if this really isn't native 1080p like they said.

The game does have 1080p but a bug stops it being used automatically. You have to 'force' it by making sure that only 1080p is selected on your display settings.

Some players also have experienced a non-1080 experience where the game is rendered in 720p, despite the game advertising 1080 resolution on the box.
IMPORTANT WORKAROUND: To temporarily fix the 1080 resolution issue, go to your PS3's Display Settings, choose Custom, and then select only the 1080 option your HDTV can display (either 1080i or 1080p). This will force the game into choosing 1080 rather than choosing 720 by default.

injurai

Banned
The game does have 1080p but a bug stops it being used automatically. You have to 'force' it by making sure that only 1080p is selected on your display settings.

Some players also have experienced a non-1080 experience where the game is rendered in 720p, despite the game advertising 1080 resolution on the box.
IMPORTANT WORKAROUND: To temporarily fix the 1080 resolution issue, go to your PS3's Display Settings, choose Custom, and then select only the 1080 option your HDTV can display (either 1080i or 1080p). This will force the game into choosing 1080 rather than choosing 720 by default.

thanks, I'll add this to the OT. Didn't know about this.

I might pick this up at some point when I get my PS3.

I'm so glad R&C3 caps out at Lvl 5/8 for guns. Deadlocked going up to Lvl 10/99 got really annoying really quickly.

Pretty sure ToD/ACiT cap at 5/8 as well.

Hmm. Has anyone affiliated with Insomniac or Idol minds commented on this bug? You can pretty much force any game to run in 1080p by doing this but it's just up-scaling it. I'd feel more comfortable if someone actually counted the pixels and found out what native resolution it's running in.

Top Bottom