• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman's a trophy in Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS...Wait, WHAT?!

It is probably Shulk the character to be announced today and that is fine (he is kinda cute :p), but I would love if they decided to announce someone else today, just to see the reactions of the people who are 100% sure Shulk will be announced because of a leak (that isn't even 100% accurate) and a retweet.

Solid snake.

Platy

Foffy

Banned
It is probably Shulk the character to be announced today and that is fine (he is kinda cute :p), but I would love if they decided to announce someone else today, just to see the reactions of the people who are 100% sure Shulk will be announced because of a leak (that isn't even 100% accurate) and a retweet.

Well, they have had some videos/days where they've announced many characters. E3 had Palutena and Pac-Man announced the same day, and when Greninja was announced, that trailer actually showed off two characters, the other being the reveal of Charizard as a standalone fighter.

Maybe today there could be two announcements in the trailer? Assuming Rayman is more than a trophy...and I would have to assume there could be more to it. Usually third party trophies represent a franchise featured with playable characters.

Sendou

They were probably hoping Sakurai would consider him as a playable character. Maybe next time.

Yeah when you think about it a representation on Smash would give more publicity to Rayman than his actual (quality) games such as Origins and Legends.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
It's a parody on how Sega's indecisiveness made Sakurai cut some features in Brawl (like Mewtwo).

Yeah, but I also feel that the general "screw Nintendo-customer -> complain about low sales" is a very real thing wih thirdparty publishers on Nintendo-systems, which it also parodies.

i love the fact that the caption acts like the most surprising thing about this is that ubisoft sent a model instead of reference art

sakurai is truly a master

GoodlifeX

What if this is a giant troll on Ubisoft for cutting 3rd party support and they reveal someone completely different.

"Aww look how nice that is they gave us assets for a Rayman model. Oh by the way here is Chrom from Fire Emblem bitches!"

I feel like showing this trophy on the same day we're getting a character reveal can't be a coincidence. I don't think it means that we're necessarily getting a Ubisoft character or anything, but I thought that the video was a little long at 3 minutes. We've had a couple of longer trailers, but one was meant to fake the viewer out (Rosalina; people were lead to believe that Kirby was going to be in Mario Kart), so it needed more time, and the other had special animation done by a fairly major production company to go along with it (Palutena).

I think we're going to get a small announcement to start off or end the trailer talking about how there will be more third party trophies to go along with the character reveal (which I feel is unrelated as the signs have otherwise pointed to Shulk)

NotLiquid

I feel like showing this trophy on the same day we're getting a character reveal can't be a coincidence. I don't think it means that we're necessarily getting a Ubisoft character or anything, but I thought that the video was a little long at 3 minutes. We've had a couple of longer trailers, but one was meant to fake the viewer out (Rosalina; people were lead to believe that Kirby was going to be in Mario Kart), so it needed more time, and the other had special animation done by a fairly major production company to go along with it (Palutena).

I think we're going to get a small announcement to start off or end the trailer talking about how there will be more third party trophies to go along with the character reveal (which I feel is unrelated as the signs have otherwise pointed to Shulk)

3 minutes is an approximation, and the Palutena and Greninja videos were both around that length.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Yeah, Nintendo asked SEGA to include Sonic on the roster before they start developing Brawl, Sega said No.

When they are getting close to finish their development, Sega changed their mind and asked Sakurai to put Sonic in.

That's why Brawl got delayed, and Mewtwo and maybe Roy got cut since both of characters were further in development than other cut characters.

emb

Yeah, Nintendo asked SEGA to include Sonic on the roster before they start developing Brawl, Sega said No.

When they are getting close to finish their development, Sega changed their mind and asked Sakurai to put Sonic in.

That's why Brawl got delayed, and Mewtwo and maybe Roy got cut since both of characters were further in development than other cut characters.
Interesting, I hadn't heard that (except that Sonic was added late).

Source?

3 minutes is an approximation, and the Palutena and Greninja videos were both around that length.

Well I mentioned why Palutena's was a little longer, but I had forgotten about Greninja. That being said, Greninja's reveal was also a little longer but also coincided with the Charizard return announcement.

But point taken; it's probably a little silly to speculate why this one appears to have an extra 30-60 seconds in length compared to other trailers, especially considering it's on in half an hour =P. I do think that, at the least, that this won't be the end of 3rd party trophies in the game that aren't related to playable characters.

Well I mentioned why Palutena's was a little longer, but I had forgotten about Greninja. That being said, Greninja's reveal was also a little longer but also coincided with the Charizard return announcement.

But point taken; it's probably a little silly to speculate why this one appears to have an extra 30-60 seconds in length compared to other trailers, especially considering it's on in half an hour =P. I do think that, at the least, that this won't be the end of 3rd party trophies in the game that aren't related to playable characters.
They'll probably use it to introduce Shulk a little as Xenoblade is a pretty niche title.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Interesting, I hadn't heard that (except that Sonic was added late).

Source?

Sonic Book that got released by SEGA. I don't remember the title.

Yeah, I'd like a source on this too. Seems too fishy, fishy enough that it would have seen more coverage if legit.

I would imagine that you might have the book by now if you are still fan of Sonic. It's in Sonic Book that got released few years ago.

bon

Well, they have had some videos/days where they've announced many characters. E3 had Palutena and Pac-Man announced the same day, and when Greninja was announced, that trailer actually showed off two characters, the other being the reveal of Charizard as a standalone fighter.

Maybe today there could be two announcements in the trailer? Assuming Rayman is more than a trophy...and I would have to assume there could be more to it. Usually third party trophies represent a franchise featured with playable characters.

Shulk and Riki simultaneous announcement please.

Morts

Rayman sounds like a great fit to me. He would lessen the sting of Snake probably being cut.

I'm probably about to be disappointed though.

Top Bottom