• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Read Only Memories |OT| It's 20XX, The Rent in Neo-San Francisco is About to Explode

titlescreen.gif

I saw this game on STEAM today and was looking for threads about it. It seems no one is really talking about it but it looks surprisingly well made.

What it's about?

In the year 2064, a journalist in Neo-San Francisco has his life changed by the Relationship and Organizational Manager(ROM) robot named Turing, the first sapient robot. The two become entangled in a scandal that will uncover the seedy side of the city and ask questions about the path of humanity and technology colliding.

readonlymemories.jpg

How do you play?

Read Only Memories is a point-and-click adventure game. Players will travel through the cyberpunk city of Neo-San Francisco making choicees that affect the player's path in the game.

stardust.gif

markethybrids.gif

romshootingresize.gif

lappy.gif

Reviews:

Metacritic: 84

Destructoid: 80

RPG Fan: 90

GameRevolution: 9/10

read_only_memories_feature_wide.jpg

Platforms: STEAM

Steel

Banned
I checked out the demo when I heard it was supposedly in the same universe of another game I'm following, Cyberpunk Bartender(which I only got interested in after trying its demo), and I gotta say I liked what I saw, I suggest others track down both game's demos(Use the power of google). That being said, there's waaaay too much coming out over the next month, so I'm going to wait on a sale or for a lull in releases. Whichever comes first.

SpotAnime

'Bout time someone made an OT for this. Love the '80s trailer. Really has that Snatcher vibe.

Did you know: This shares the same ge world as Va-11Hall-A? Mentioned on the latter dev's tumblr:

VA-11 Hall-A and ROM share the same world (something that was easy because we always focused on a dystopian locale instead of a more general dystopian world) so you might see things that are related to or have evolved from what you see in ROM.
It’s not necessary to play ROM to get the full Valhalla experience (You should still play it because it’s a cool game though) and the inverse is also true. But you might find cool nods between games when you play both.

There's even some unlockable content in Va-11Hall-A you get from some secrets within ROM.

I was out of town when this got released - never before have I heard about a game existing and then purchased it so quickly. This hits *all* the right notes for me.

Only to Chapter 2 so far. Fun writing, some genuine laughs, and a great style. Lots of nods to adventure-game obsessive behavior, too!

Also, that OT title. Love it.

Eila

I crafted a 60% off coupon for this so I had to buy it. But I'm not sure if I want to play this or Undertale first, and then there's like a million other new releases. The indie scene is really competed these days.

Awesome game, played it on launch and it's one of my favourite games released this year.
I love the style and the music is just amazing, one of two games I got the soundtrack of.

I bought it a few days ago after hearing about it on the giant bombcast. I'm a huge Snatcher fan so it sounded like the perfect game for me. I think I'm on chapter 5 and I'm a bit ambivalent about it so far. The main plot is a bit too generic but it's still enjoyable. My main problem (and that's not necessarily an issue with the game but with my expectations) is that it's much more of a visual novel than an adventure game. Snatcher had plenty of cool puzzles and you had to uncover a lot of information by yourself but here you're just going to the places the game tells you to go to in order to follow the story...
Other than that the 16 bit visuals are great, as is the soundtrack, so considering the price I would still recommend it.

JJSignal

Neo Member
Was surprised to see that there was an OT for our game. :0 I'm the director and lead artist for it, and I'd be happy to answer any questions or anything anyone might have.

I have been hearing from some that it leans a little more on the visual novel side, kinda trying to figure out how we can tweak it in the future. At one point in development, I was kinda wanting to have a sort of Jordan database for the player to look through and possibly use it for an investigation, but it never quite made it.

Steel

Banned
Huh, didn't expect a sale on this so soon, picked it up(though I probably won't get around to playing it for awhile with Trails SC taking my attention). It's $10 right now if anyone's wondering.

Was surprised to see that there was an OT for our game. :0 I'm the director and lead artist for it, and I'd be happy to answer any questions or anything anyone might have.

I have been hearing from some that it leans a little more on the visual novel side, kinda trying to figure out how we can tweak it in the future. At one point in development, I was kinda wanting to have a sort of Jordan database for the player to look through and possibly use it for an investigation, but it never quite made it.

From the demo it felt a bit like Ace Attorney investigation scenes more than a straight visual novel, but better written. The database sounds like it would've been a fun addition, but what you have is great.

wearemidboss

Neo Member
Howdy! I'm Matt Conn, the producer for Read Only Memories (I also run GaymerX). Been a long time lurker, but never had the chance to register until recently.

If anyone has any questions about the making of Read Only Memories, or why we went with the decisions we made, I'm here to answer any questions any of y'all might have and I really appreciate all the opportunity to hang out and post here! :D

Howdy! I'm Matt Conn, the producer for Read Only Memories (I also run GaymerX). Been a long time lurker, but never had the chance to register until recently.

If anyone has any questions about the making of Read Only Memories, or why we went with the decisions we made, I'm here to answer any questions any of y'all might have and I really appreciate all the opportunity to hang out and post here! :D

When did you play Snatcher and what made you want to create a graphic adventure game in that style? Also, have you or any of the other members of the team played any of the other old Japanese adventure games like Illusion City, Famicom Detective Club series, Twilight Syndrome, The Space Adventure - Cobra: The Legendary Bandit etc? Is this kind of game one you are going to concentrate on going forward? Or will you create other kinds of games?

I appreciate seeing someone do a game in that style anyway and will be buying the game today just to support the effort since we need more games like that. It's one of my favourite type of games (Japanese adventure games).

JJSignal

Neo Member
When did you play Snatcher and what made you want to create a graphic adventure game in that style? Also, have you or any of the other members of the team played any of the other old Japanese adventure games like Illusion City, Famicom Detective Club series, Twilight Syndrome, The Space Adventure - Cobra: The Legendary Bandit etc? Is this kind of game one you are going to concentrate on going forward? Or will you create other kinds of games?

I appreciate seeing someone do a game in that style anyway and will be buying the game today just to support the effort since we need more games like that. It's one of my favourite type of games (Japanese adventure games).

I'm not quite sure when Matt played it, but I finally began playing it around 8 or 9 years ago. I absolutely loved the visuals and sound, and it was my first step into Japanese style adventure games. When it comes to the others mentioned, I played both Cobra and Famicom Detective Club, though I haven't beaten them just yet, but they definitely were an influence visual-wise. I found out about Cobra though the anime, it's really weird that it got a US release complete with full voice acting.

Been wanting to play both Illusion City and Twilight Syndrome, are there translations for them?

Haunted

I was actually looking for the OT a couple days back when someone asked about the game and more impressions in the Steam thread.

The game's great and comes recommended! Probably the best point n click adventure game I've played this year. We don't get a ton of Japanese-style adventure games (Snatcher and Saburo Jinguji/Jake Hunter probably being the most well-known), so it's very likely that this will feel pretty unique for most people, even adventure game veterans.

Mivey

I hear the Snatcher comparisons thrown around a lot, but I think ROM is probably more similar to Policenauts in its gameplay actually, since you can click on stuff. Snatcher, on the other hand, had a more traditional "sentence building" interaction. Maybe the original NEC PC-8801 version of Snatcher had mouse input, anybody know?

ROM is one of my GOTY contenders for this year, right up with Undertale. How can I possibly not love a game that mixes my three biggest fiction interests, being Queer Identity, Cyberpunk, and Furries?

I hear the Snatcher comparisons thrown around a lot, but I think ROM is probably more similar to Policenauts in its gameplay actually, since you can click on stuff. Snatcher, on the other hand, had a more traditional "sentence building" interaction. Maybe the original NEC PC-8801 version of Snatcher had mouse input, anybody know?

Eh, it's a bit of both, actually (a point and click game but visually more similar to Snatcher and that era of old Japanese adventure games, whereas Policenauts has a very 90s anime aesthetic thing going on). Plus the shooting gallery sections are straight up ripped right out of Snatcher.

I'm not quite sure when Matt played it, but I finally began playing it around 8 or 9 years ago. I absolutely loved the visuals and sound, and it was my first step into Japanese style adventure games. When it comes to the others mentioned, I played both Cobra and Famicom Detective Club, though I haven't beaten them just yet, but they definitely were an influence visual-wise. I found out about Cobra though the anime, it's really weird that it got a US release complete with full voice acting.

Been wanting to play both Illusion City and Twilight Syndrome, are there translations for them?

Nice. That Cobra game for SEGA CD was very weird, as was the voice acting but had a cool visual style. And unfortunately not, no. I've played little bits of both of them, but without very good Japanese language implanted into my brain (I know a little bit), I honestly suck at understanding what's going on in them. I'm honestly surprised nobody has done any translations for the Twilight Syndrome games at least, quite honestly, since they're basically Clock Tower games made by Goichi Suda, however a user on here claims he is doing a fan translation of Goichi Suda's other adventure games like Moonlight Syndrome and The Silver Case, so we will have to wait and see on that. He's also doing the Shadowrun SEGA CD english translation too, which is coming along very nicely by the looks of things, so we won't have to wait too long, hopefully, before we next get our Japanese adventure game fix.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ROM is absolutely worth playing. One of the most authentic JP style adventure games out there.

wearemidboss

Neo Member

I probably played Snatcher when I was around 12 or 13. It really struck me hard when I played it - it was a game that, at least in America came out mid 90s, and was just so far ahead of the curve in terms of graphics, music, themes, and storytelling. I really seemed like an underrated masterpiece, and I was always super sad about the fact that Kojima never got around to making more games like that. (It wasn't until way later in life I got my hands on the English fan translation of Policenauts). As a kid, I made a silly flash game that was basically Snatcher 2, but I had not the art or music or writing or programming skills..I just knew I wanted to do it!

Visual novel/adventure games have always been my favorite genre - and they're a very very difficult genre to lock down what's good and whats bad - becuase the gameplay is very very tertiary. Although good game play mechanics can make a good adventure game great, Gabriel Knight, Snatcher, Danganronpa...Virtue's Last Reward, all were amazing because they combined all the elements together into a magical package.

I really loved how Snatcher did that and managed to explore dark themes and do it in a cinematic way that had really never been done before, and since this was our first game, and, when we started, we really didn't have a programmer on board, I thought the Snatcher style/inspiration would allow us to do a few things:

1) Place the game in the near(ish) future, which would allow us to examine themes and make situations that would be unrealistic to happen in 2015.

2) Since this was our first game, and we knew we wanted to explore certain issues and really make the first game that goes super hard on LGBTQ stuff, a point and clicks allows players to explore that stuff on their own time and doesn't force it on them, so to say. The main story is pretty unrelated to any social issue stuff the game brings up, so if the player just wants to zoom through it and not learn about the characters and their issues, they can do that, but if they poke and prod, hopefully they'll let these unique characters into their lives and it won't feel like "Oh, there's the gay character, there's the ____ character"

Many people on the team are huge adventure game fans, specifically Japanese style. Gabriel Knight, Police Quest, I have no mouth but I must Scream, all great - but stuff like Famicom Detective Club, Jesus: Kyofu no Biomonster, all that stuff (i think JJSignal talks about it in his reply) really helped inspire the art style and that old school, windowed approach.

Point and click/adventure is definitely something we love and we really like the engine we built, but I think our next game will be drastically different ; ) Although doing this has been a blast, we want to experiment more with showing, not telling in our storytelling next :D

Thank you so much for the kind words and we really hope you enjoy the game! 🍺🍺

wearemidboss

Neo Member
ROM is one of my GOTY contenders for this year, right up with Undertale. How can I possibly not love a game that mixes my three biggest fiction interests, being Queer Identity, Cyberpunk, and Furries?

Haha, thank you! When we were making it that, we knew for some people, it would hit the exact intersections of their lives, so it's super cool meeting people like you! We could only tell a story that's honest to our lives, so I think you'll find a lot of stuff here you'll naturally gravitate to :D 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺😈😈😈😈

Any chance of ROM coming to GOG.com? I plan on buying it either way but GOG is my favorite, so I have to ask!

Var

I checked out the demo when I heard it was supposedly in the same universe of another game I'm following, Cyberpunk Bartender(which I only got interested in after trying its demo), and I gotta say I liked what I saw, I suggest others track down both game's demos(Use the power of google). That being said, there's waaaay too much coming out over the next month, so I'm going to wait on a sale or for a lull in releases. Whichever comes first.

Looked up both demos after reading this and then about thirty minutes later bought the games. Both seem really great so far.

wearemidboss

Neo Member
Aww thank you so much for the kind words ya'll!

We're hoping to see some of you lovely people tomorrow at the Read Only Memories booth at Playstation Experience, and we have a big announcement(s) at 3PST!!

G5l2FXJ.png

cmU6uQZ.jpg

Ultimadrago

Shame to see that this OT isn't more active. I happened upon the trailer for this on Steam a few weeks ago and it caught my interest. I've recently purchased it for Winter Sale and hope to get to it soon!

I didn't even know there was a thread for this game. I enjoyed it at PSX 2015 and I'm looking forward to playing it on the Vita. I hope the game is as amazing as Steam players are saying.

Pachinko

Giving this thread a bump because this game deserves it. I saw a trailer for it a few weeks back when the PS4 version got announced and I assumed it was exclusive ... made my day to find out it was on steam. I then sadly, forgot about it for a little while but here we are again ! I bought it on steam through the holiday sale and if you enjoyed SNATCHER or Policenaughts , it really is worth a try. I mean , it's less than 10$ right now.

I'm a little ways through chapter 3 right now and I managed to get at least 1 achievement I'm not too proud of :( but the story has me hooked.

Since the team is reading this thread, I hope this game continues to do very well for you all and maybe you can go up to the same resolution/color/detail level as going from Snatcher up to Policenaughts. I realize that would require way more time and money though so I'm just happy this game exists. I'm not even a part of a marginalized community either but It's cool that this game tries to feel more inclusive than just being a typical power fantasy (which, as much as I liked what I played of both - Snatcher / policenaughts are still within that trope - leaving the player as a bog standard protagonist in a world filled with "normal" people).

I think I may just have to play some more of this tonight...

marzlapin

I just bought this during the Steam sale but haven't played it yet. I'm excited though; I enjoy visual novels and similar games a lot.

Mivey

Finished it recently. Great game, although I found
the maze with Dekker to be bit annoying, mostly since I had to redo the section like five times, and it really felt completely random, even when I finally managed to hear his final speech.
Stil, awesome writing, great puns, great characters, stunning music and all around great experience. Especially impressive that the game feels so reactive by allowing the player to shape the story by the relationships you foster with the other characters. So even though the outcome is binary (friend or not) you don't get to choose that directly, but it is determined by how you speak with them.

I am really interested to see what this team will create next, hopefully something story focused again.

Pachinko

Finished it recently. Great game, although I found
the maze with Dekker to be bit annoying, mostly since I had to redo the section like five times, and it really felt completely random, even when I finally managed to hear his final speech.
Stil, awesome writing, great puns, great characters, stunning music and all around great experience. Especially impressive that the game feels so reactive by allowing the player to shape the story by the relationships you foster with the other characters. So even though the outcome is binary (friend or not) you don't get to choose that directly, but it is determined by how you speak with them.

I am really interested to see what this team will create next, hopefully something story focused again.

I'm pretty much doing the section you mention in your spoiler and I think I encountered a bug :( seems like I can't click to go forward or backward when given the chance to after the map goes away. I notice there was a hotfix an update ago but it seems a few people have the same issue.

UPDATE - I found out you just have to avoid locking yourself in the room you start in because there's no way to get the map to come back after you adjust 2 doors. I have now finished the game off and yeah It was worth it. Look forward to whatever this studio manages next as well as the forthcoming DLC.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I can't get the music out of my head. I bought the game & soundtrack a few days ago but I've barely had the chance to sit down and give it a real run outside of listening to the tunes. Looking forward to getting back from work this evening and plonking myself down to play through it.

I'm partway through Chapter 4 (I just got to a part where I need to help someone with their rap lyrics) and while I'm really enjoying it, and I like the Snatcher vibes, which I got to play for the first time this summer, I wish this game had a little more "weight" to it. Everything is very light and playful, which is fine, but it makes some of the synthetic or gender identity stuff feel out of place, especially the gender identity stuff. I also wish there was at least some voice acting, again like Snatcher. That, and the central mystery hasn't gripped me at all during the game; I wish there was some world building before I randomly got chosen to find a missing person. Lastly, the game really contains no puzzles, as it tells you plainly where to go and who to talk to all the time. Since the direct reference to this game is Snatcher, it at least doesn't have the obtuse "talk to this person 8 times in a row to advance the story" sections, but I expected a little more than a very easy taxi chase puzzle and now this lyric rhyming. So far, there's no challenge, and it feels way more automated than a traditional point and click game.

This won't read as a complement, but I mean it as one: this is a game I really enjoy that will frustrate me to no end because of how close it comes to being great but never manages to achieve it because of many small issues.

How many chapters are in this game, and how many hours roughly is left for me? Two?

Editing:

Finished it. Spoilers?

Never knew who killed Hayden (Dekkar?), and never really cared, which is a shame since that is the central plot of the game. I got all the ROMs to be sentient, and Turing survived. I dunno. There's a lot of good in this game, but a lot that bothered me. The puzzles are nonexistent, the "action" scenes are only at the end and are barely a challenge. I struggled at only one puzzle, which was in chapter five where I shot something that caused the maintenance guy to clean up, and the "scones" instead of donut thing (which was me just clicking every item in my inventory to proceed). If it wasn't for the great writing to Turing, Chad and Oliver (who I guess were in a homosexual relationship?), and Jess, and the Snatcher atmosphere, I don't know. I enjoyed it. I did. And I liked the politics of common place same-sex relationships, and synthetics, but it seemed a bit much since I think every single relationship was same-sex (Chad/Oliver, Lexi/Sister, barkeepers?), and I still think Turing's out of almost nowhere gender identity crisis doesn't fit (unless I missed some dialogue on Turing, outside of Grace's desire to be a female for potentially dubious reasons), I just thought it was overwhelming and a bit distracting. I understand the desire to make a political game, but it reminded me of some conservative and liberal films that push too much and spoil the pot. Maybe it just needed a few more lines or something to work. Some of it came out of nowhere for me. Maybe I missed dialogue.

I look forward to whatever Midboss does next as a result of this. Good job!

Random Chapter 4/5 question for anyone who's played the game:

Did I totally fuck myself by not giving the data cache to Majid? I knew Tomcat wanted it but every time I went back to Stardust, they weren't there, and I'd completely forgotten they'd told me to give it to Majid. So now I have Tomcat telling me they don't have any more time to pull stuff from the cache and the only reference I can find to whether this matters or not is a wikia page saying "hand this in ASAP." Well, I didn't. Did I just lock myself into a bad ending? Because it's kind of shitty if so.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Picked this up during the Steam sale and playing through it now. I'm a ways into chapter two and am positively smitten with the game. Love the characters, aesthetic, music, world, ambience, the whole thing. <3

Top Bottom