• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

jmaine_ph

UkrFYUq.jpg

keep-calm-and-get-a-job-9.png
DAAAAAAAMN! (Chris Tucker Voice)

In case you're interested, I did an analysis of the 5:30 walkthrough. Notes:

Gameplay include walking sessions, prompts for actions that aren't inserted in mere cutscene sessions (like pushing a carriage)
QTE include prompts for actions insterted in mere cutscene sessions
Cutscenes include mere videos
This isn't 100% accurate, but it should give you a decent idea.

So, here it is

Prologue - Total | 12:28 --> Gameplay | 3:39 - QTE | 1:58 - Cutscenes | 6:50
Chapter 1 - Total | 29:23 --> Gameplay | 20:20 - Cutscenes | 9:03
Chapter 2 - Total | 16:33 --> Gameplay | 6:43 - Cutscenes | 9:49
Chapter 3 - Total | 46:00 --> Gameplay | 32:36 - QTE | 0:54 - Cutscenes | 12:30
Chapter 4 - Total | 24:25 ---> Gameplay | 12:20 - QTE | 2:21 - Cutscenes | 9:46
Chapter 5 - Total | 32:41 --> Gameplay | 24:17 - QTE | 0:32 - Cutscenes | 7:52
Chapter 6 - Total | 7:32 --> Gameplay | 1:42 - QTE | 0.18 - Cutscenes | 5:32
Chapter 7 - Total | 6:41 ---> Cutscenes | 6:41
Chapter 8 - Total | 21:37 --> Gameplay | 9:30 - QTE | 0:07 - Cutscenes | 12:00
Chapter 9 - Total | 43:07 --> Gameplay | 31:13 - QTE | 1:13 - Cutscenes | 10:41
Chapter 10 - Total | 4:07 --> Cutscenes | 4:07
Chapter 11 - Total | 44:15 --> Gameplay | 33:13 - QTE | 1:07 - Cutscenes | 9:55
Chapter 12 - Total | 5:37 --> Cutscenes | 5:37
Chapter 13 - Total | 5:17 --> Gameplay | 0:04 - Cutscenes | 5:13
Chapter 14 - Total | 5:31 --> Gameplay | 1:47 - Cutscenes | 3:44
Chapter 15 - Total | 10:48 --> Gameplay | 9:24 - Cutscenes | 1:24
Chapter 16 - Total | 9:23 --> QTE | 2:33 - Cutscenes | 6:50

Walkthrough - Total | 325:17 --> Gameplay | 186:48 - QTE | 11:03 - Cutscenes | 127:26

Percentages
Gameplay | 57,43%
QTE | 3.4%
Cutscenes | 39.17%

You forgot the 1000 hours spent soaking atmosphere ;)

Kem0sabe

Three entire, continuous, chapters with a total of 1:51 minutes of gameplay...

Also...

I'm not sure thats the best way to pace a story.

Frillen

Resident Evil: Completed in less than 2 1/2 hours.
= lol Less than 2 hours of gameplay. Worst game ever!

Can't understand how I once paid over $120 for that piece of shit.

You completed RE in under 2,5 hours the first time? I'm having a hard time believing that.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wow, I won't comment on the whole article but the comparison with a movie's length and its quality is ridiculously off base. Oranges = apples

marcincz

There is so much fucking negativity going into this release that how can any reviewer possibly go in with an open mind and review objectively.

Yes it will get burned at the stake... the media has seen to it for months.

The industry is at it's healthiest ever in terms of console sales, and yet it's hit an all time low in other ways. The hate this game is getting makes me sad.

I have the same feelings about it.Probably game reviews will be around 6-7 or even less. Negativity around this title is incredible and I completely don't understand it. I will be very surprised if metacritic scores beat >7.

BokehKing

Banned
I think we should start counting the hours and minutes of actual playtime in all future games. Will help some people to find out how much worth a game really is.
Had to fix that for you, because I think me and you (and others) all decide differently on what makes a game good.

Just like metacritic and other review sites are just opinion hubs and not actual facts

Unless we are talking about aliens colonial Marines, that shit is trash

God damn this thread is sad. I can understand the frustration of a short game that you've looked forward to, but 29 pages? you can rent, borrow, price drop or not play at all. What exactly is the issue? They were pretty blunt about the game being heavy cinematic. Now we're shocked that the game is...heavy cinamtic?

DryvBy

Uggghhh this length discussion is driving me crazy, its just gross at this point. IF THE GAME ISN'T LONG ENOUGH FOR YOU TO JUSTIFY SPENDING 60 DOLLARS ON IT THEN WAIT FOR THE PRICE TO GO DOWN. PROBLEM FUCKING SOLVED.

Everyone who played the game so far here has enjoyed it, recommends it, and said they would buy a sequel. No one cares though. We can't discuss the game, we can only calculate gameplay time.

But this thread is specifically about the length. I think it's fair to simply say that this isn't worth your money if it's truly this short.

Wolfenstein was a game I loved, but I hated the price. When I got a platinum trophy in under a week (and beat the game in a weekend), I was a little annoyed by it. So I'm really curious as to replay value and length of this. There's other games coming out and I want to invest my $60 in a return.

-MD-

Again, this is a really bad example and you continue to keep using it.

It looks really dumb.

sam777

Stop using bad examples, any new first time resident evil player won't be completing the game in that timeframe it will take them a lot longer and you know it.

cackhyena

God damn this thread is sad. I can understand the frustration of a short game that you've looked forward to, but 29 pages? you can rent, borrow, price drop or not play at all. What exactly is the issue? They were pretty blunt about the game being heavy cinematic. Now we're shocked that the game is...heavy cinamtic?
It's a video game forum. People shit their pants over frame rates around these parts. Let the meltdowns happen wherever, whenever. Nestle in with your preferred snack and enjoy the show.

Ricky_R

Why is everybody so hung up on The Order's length? Some games (specially single player only) are shorter than others and, more importantly, they all vary in length depending on the player.

The Order varies from 5 to 12 hours. What's really the issue?

BokehKing

Banned
But this thread is specifically about the length. I think it's fair to simply say that this isn't worth your money if it's truly this short.

Wolfenstein was a game I loved, but I hated the price. When I got a platinum trophy in under a week (and beat the game in a weekend), I was a little annoyed by it. So I'm really curious as to replay value and length of this. There's other games coming out and I want to invest my $60 in a return.
Don't speak ill of wolfenstein, that was 2014's GOTY to me lol

That game had replay value too, it was fun, hoping for the same here.

Oh yeah it had no SP or couch co-op as well

Idea for the order OT, post your hours, I know it will take me 10 hours to beat, I won't be playing on easy and I'm not as good at these games as I use to be.

Mikey Jr.

Ugh, these mixed in impressions don't sound great. I don't get rad. I mean, these cutscene heavy games will never review well. They must have known that.

Now they have to defend themselves about game length.

Dunno. I'm even hesitant to spend 60 bucks, and I was hyped for this game too.

web01

They should never have commented.
They have made themselves look like liars / fools now that people are fully analysing actual gameplay length. No excuse they didn't whip up something like an unlockable challenge rooms with interesting scenarios to add some extra gameplay.

Micerider

This thread is for monomaniacs now it seems? I suggest that we measure now the exact time during gameplay where player need to make an input to progress, stripped from any un-necessary move. A movement that deviates more than 0.2% of optimal trajectory is disqualified.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
This is quite disingenuous. And please, for the lack of a better way to put it, stop reducing the game to just something that is short and only QTEs.

You're more than entitled to support whatever you want.

I just don't see why anyone would jump up and down and proudly support this game--especially when there are so many different platforms offering so many unique and interesting gameplay experiences.

Money and time are finite so we have to choose carefully how we allocate both. I'd rather support games that offer deep and rich gameplay, innovative experiences, tons of content, and treat the paying consumer with respect.

BriGuy

Sounds like the quintessential rental game to me. I wouldn't spend $60 on it, but a few bucks and a lazy Saturday afternoon are more than reasonable.

suedester

Banned

I just don't see why anyone would jump up and down and proudly support this game--especially when there are so many different platforms offering so many unique and interesting gameplay experiences.

Money and time are finite so we have to choose carefully how we allocate both. I'd rather support games that offer deep and rich gameplay, innovative experiences, tons of content, and treat the paying consumer with respect.

Give me a fucking break. Holy shit.

BokehKing

Banned
They should never have commented.
They have made themselves look like liars / fools now that people are fully analysing actual gameplay length. No excuse they didn't whip up something like an unlockable challenge rooms with interesting scenarios to add some extra gameplay.
No excuse? They hardly got the single player finished yet you people want it pushed back again for what? You will find a reason to shit on it for being tacked on

Did wolfenstein have unlockables challenge rooms?
Nope, just a fun single player game. It could be done

Frillen

Personally, the pricing has nothing to do with the case. I just want the game to be longer than 3 hours (gameplay). Especially since the replay value is almost zero.

nib95

Banned
Personally, the pricing has nothing to do with the case. I just want the game to be longer than 3 hours (gameplay). Especially since the replay value is almost zero.

How have you jumped to that conclusion? There's some GAFers who have already completed the game a second time. So that replayability comment is absolute nonsense. How replayable it is, is subjective based on how much people enjoy it the first time, want to collect and read all the articles newspapers, objects etc, collect trophies, or fancy an experience on a different difficulty. Some people will replay it (Osiris, Rapier, Perinium etc), others won't (Nbnt for example).

And are you still ignoring all the other completition times?

c0de

In case you're interested, I did an analysis of the 5:30 walkthrough. Notes:

Gameplay include walking sessions, prompts for actions that aren't inserted in mere cutscene sessions (like pushing a carriage)
QTE include prompts for actions insterted in mere cutscene sessions
Cutscenes include mere videos
This isn't 100% accurate, but it should give you a decent idea.

So, here it is

Prologue - Total | 12:28 --> Gameplay | 3:39 - QTE | 1:58 - Cutscenes | 6:50
Chapter 1 - Total | 29:23 --> Gameplay | 20:20 - Cutscenes | 9:03
Chapter 2 - Total | 16:33 --> Gameplay | 6:43 - Cutscenes | 9:49
Chapter 3 - Total | 46:00 --> Gameplay | 32:36 - QTE | 0:54 - Cutscenes | 12:30
Chapter 4 - Total | 24:25 ---> Gameplay | 12:20 - QTE | 2:21 - Cutscenes | 9:46
Chapter 5 - Total | 32:41 --> Gameplay | 24:17 - QTE | 0:32 - Cutscenes | 7:52
Chapter 6 - Total | 7:32 --> Gameplay | 1:42 - QTE | 0.18 - Cutscenes | 5:32
Chapter 7 - Total | 6:41 ---> Cutscenes | 6:41
Chapter 8 - Total | 21:37 --> Gameplay | 9:30 - QTE | 0:07 - Cutscenes | 12:00
Chapter 9 - Total | 43:07 --> Gameplay | 31:13 - QTE | 1:13 - Cutscenes | 10:41
Chapter 10 - Total | 4:07 --> Cutscenes | 4:07
Chapter 11 - Total | 44:15 --> Gameplay | 33:13 - QTE | 1:07 - Cutscenes | 9:55
Chapter 15 - Total | 10:48 --> Gameplay | 9:24 - Cutscenes | 1:24

Walkthrough - Total | 325:17 --> Gameplay | 186:48 - QTE | 11:03 - Cutscenes | 127:26

Percentages
Gameplay | 57,43%
QTE | 3.4%
Cutscenes | 39.17%

So we won't see any AGDQ videos of this game for several reasons, right?

cripterion

Sunset overdrive was shit on as well

Maybe people are defending the game because they are interested in the premise.

Well yeah no game gets unanimous praise.

You being interested in the game doesn't mean you gotta be defensive about it. Or are you trying to justify your purchase? No one said you wouldn't have fun with it or that you wouldn't get your money's worth.

How have you jumped to that conclusion? And are you still ignoring all the other completition times?

The same way you have jumped to the conclusion that his comment is in some way objectionable; from impressions.

You only want to acknowledge the positives and others are only looking at the negatives.

DryvBy

Don't speak ill of wolfenstein, that was 2014's GOTY to me lol

That game had replay value too, it was fun, hoping for the same here.

Oh yeah it had no SP or couch co-op as well

Idea for the order OT, post your hours, I know it will take me 10 hours to beat, I won't be playing on easy and I'm not as good at these games as I use to be.

Hey, I loved Wolfenstein! I just wish they'd had a reason to go back. $60 was hard to bite after I finished everything so quickly. But at least it was a quality short game.

nib95

Banned
The same way you have jumped to the conclusion that his comment is in some way objectionable; from impressions.

You only want to acknowledge the positives and others are only looking at the negatives.

Difference is I'm not saying there is zero replayability, just as I'm not saying there is replayability. As I said above, it is a subjective thing that will differ from person to person, and that you simply cannot know till you play the game yourself.

Frillen

How have you jumped to that conclusion? And are you still ignoring all the other completition times?

I'm not. Ok, let's bump that to 4 hours since, yes, I will be collecting all the collectibles. Still, that's not very long.

This probably goes back to the reveal trailer of the game and my love for Victorian England/London. I had foresaw a huge game, where I could explore London in multiple paths or better yet, a semi open world. That never happened though. As the game was later revealed to be a cinematic/linear title, with absolutely no exploring, except soaking in the atmosphere (has become a running joke right now for a reason).

Draper

Ugh, these mixed in impressions don't sound great. I don't get rad. I mean, these cutscene heavy games will never review well. They must have known that.

Now they have to defend themselves about game length.

Dunno. I'm even hesitant to spend 60 bucks, and I was hyped for this game too.

Exactly my thoughts.

This has to be a joke post.

Strangely, I thought that when we are talking about a narrative driven game, the cutscenes would be considered to be an integral part of the experience. Trying to downplay the work of RAD even more by dissociating sounds a little petty to me.

In the case of a TPS like The Order, that would also lead us to conclude that a video game is only worthy of the name during the seconds we are shooting somebody. The rest of the work don't deserve our money and our attention.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Three entire, continuous, chapters with a total of 1:51 minutes of gameplay...

Also...

I'm not sure thats the best way to pace a story.

As someone who just "watched" the game on YT through a Walkthrough and not played it (so, take this in the right way), I think this is one of the main worries about the game. The second half of the game has just three chapters out of eight where there are "purer" gameplay sessions (I mean not QTEs; probably the term "purer" is not denigratory against them per-se). There's a chapter where the gameplay session is far lower than cutscenes, three chapters that are made only of cutscenes (which is...meh) and one of them composed of cutscenes and QTEs. And, to make things worse, it's the final chapter
and the QTE is the final boss fight
. Honestly, I think there's nothing wrong in cinematic games: they are just a different way to think about gaming, they can be great like many other games, why not! But it's execution of the second half here especially that is perplexing to me...chapters made only of cutscenes is a movie, not a game. An ending made of a QTE and a cutscene is not good, since that should be the epitome of the game, the moment you were waiting for. Heck, at this point visual novels are far more "gamey" than most of The Order 1886's second half, considering how you can speed up dialogues, while here cutscenes aren't even skippable.

-MD-

Difference is I'm not saying there is zero replayability, just as I'm not saying there is replayability. As I said above, it is a subjective thing that will differ from person to person, and that you simply cannot know till you play the game yourself.

People saying there's zero replayability just mean there is nothing else in the game outside of the campaign. You don't unlock anything after finishing it, the only thing you can do is change the difficulty and play through again. When people talk replayability they're looking for new game+, new modes, unlockable weapons, costumes etc.

If you wanted to you could say every game in the world has replayability from simply playing through it again.

That is his opinion. Let him have it. It makes zero difference to you.

You say yourself that it is a subjective thing.

I don't get why you feel the need to defend this game so vociferously? Its Sony's job to market the game. If you like it and others don't, that's fine.

You will never change the minds of the people you are responding to.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So you think that the dev not being upfront with consumers about the nature of the gameplay and the game's length is acceptable? What's going on here classic obfuscation and misdirection.
How have they not been upfront about the nature of the gameplay? This has been marketed as an extremely cinematic game from day 1. They have shown QTEs and talked about their new QTE approach in the very first showing. They said story is paramount.

Do you have any interest in this game at all? You seem to have not followed it at all and are making very low information posts.

Slixshot

Banned

If you've got a problem with the game, don't buy it.

suedester

Banned
So you think that the dev not being upfront with consumers about the nature of the gameplay and the game's length is acceptable? What's going on here classic obfuscation and misdirection.

They have been pretty upfront about the nature of the gameplay. What's your issue with the gameplay anyway? It's a standard TPS with some QTE. Games length seems to average out at about 9 hours for most Gaffers which seems OK to me. Not great, but nothing to get overly melodramatic about.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Stop using bad examples, any new first time resident evil player won't be completing the game in that timeframe it will take them a lot longer and you know it.

A long playthough of RE2 is only about 5-6 hours tops, even for a newbie. Where it more than makes up for it, is the zapping system, second playthrough with the other character. There are HUGE differences and the 2nd playthrough is a longer game.

I need to play RE2 again. Thanks a lot.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I dont understand how any one would have issue with the length of a game. It should be how good is it? Surely?

If the order was good enough I would buy it at 2 hours long and 40 minutes of gameplay. It would need to be massively replayable if I was expected to pay full price tho

Interfectum

Trying to catch up on this thread... wow this shit is legendary and needs to be archived. Some of you "concerned" gamers should really be ashamed of your posts.

c0de

A long playthough of RE2 is only about 5-6 hours tops, even for a newbie.

Well, this is the "real" play through time perhaps if you count from save to save. But this doesn't add all the hours you "lost" from dying and failing. Then it's definitely way longer.

Top Bottom