• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebecca Heineman (ex-Interplay) and the AMAZING story of the 3DO DOOM port

@MUWANdo

Banned
Great read.

Doom 3DO was awful, but Doom Saturn was awful as well. Like holy shit.

Around the same time the 3DO Doom story came out, there were some comments from the programmer on Saturn Doom who said Carmack called him and told him he had to program everything in software and not use hardware features for certain things, which mean the port was handicapped for no good reason.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I think they are creepy and cool, not lethargic. Opinions.

*sigh*

you'll have to forgive me if i don't agree that running around at 50 scale miles per hour playing punch out with cyborg skeletons that shoot homing missiles works well with the sounds of moody double bass and crying babies

I think the stuff she had to say about game value was the best part of the interview:

I do want to ask you about 3DO and Doom, but before we get into that: What would a market crash today look like?

A crash today would be -- which is already in many ways happening right now.

The first stage is the race to the bottom. And that is because everybody is so desperate for market share, they're trying to either sell or give away the games. We're already in this free-to-play trap in which, well, nobody wants to buy a mobile game -- nobody wants to give you money for it. I mean, if I coulda made a really great mobile game and I think it's worth $19.95 and I put it up there, I might sell 10 copies. Because the market's so full of very high-quality, free games. And a majority of people playing these free games will never pay a penny.

There's a phenomenon called "the whales" in which you put a free-to-play game out there and then there's this tiny percentage of the population -- it's something like .2 percent -- who are the people who will start buying the crap that's in the game. And they will buy it to the point of several hundred if not thousands of dollars. It's those people that are funding the development of the game and the studio.

I remember there was a talk about that at GDC a few years ago. But those aren't really the talks at GDC, I feel, people pay attention to.

Yup.

Unfortunately, it makes it hard for anybody else to say, at least on mobile, "How in the world are you just gonna do the old business model where I make a fun game and you pay me for the game and then you play the game and have fun?"

And look at on Steam. Right now, the Steam summer sale is actually hurting indies because, like, I would put a game up there and I would ask $39.95 for it because it's a really nice, big, long game or a medium indie game should be, like, $19.95. But people would say, "Hey! That's a nice game, I really like it. I'll put it on my wishlist. And when the Steam summer sale comes around where I can get it for $5 or $10, then maybe I might pick it up, but then again I've got all these 5 kajillion games to choose from."

And at the same time, it's like, even games that the AAA titles are last year, I could pick them up for, like, $9.95 or heck -- even, I picked up some Tomb Raider games, like, a trilogy for $3.99 on the Steam summer sale.

I did that, too.

So, how can I compete with a brand new game that may not have the production values of a modern Tomb Raider where they're charging $3.99 for it?

That is the crash of what's going to happen, is you're going to start seeing -- from the consumer's point of view, it's awesome because it's going to be all these games and they're all really cheap and you can stock up on titles like crazy.

Yeah.

So, the consumers are loving it.

But the developers -- you're going to start seeing developers drop like flies. Indie developers are just going to be leaving the industry because they can't make any money. You're going to see the real tragedy when major developers and major indie developers are not making any money and they're dropping out or forcing themselves to be sold. Examples are like Gas Powered Games. They were trying to do a caveman game on Kickstarter because he couldn't get anybody to give him a contract and he ended up having to sell his company to wargaming.net.

But, you know, all you do is look at Gamasutra and you'll see pretty much every week another studio is closing. And in many cases, especially if it was an indie studio, it's usually because they made a game, they put it out there, they just weren't generating enough revenue to sustain their operations and so they closed.

Once it gets to a critical mass in which the consumer is now going to expect games to be $9.95, the crash is really gonna happen when a blockbuster game, which announces for $59.95 -- people just don't buy it. And their answer when you ask them is, "Oh, it looks like a great game, but you know what? I'll wait for the Steam summer sale or I'll wait for it to be discounted because I'm so busy playing all these other games I just bought that you know what? I don't have time to play GTAVII or whatever it is because I'm still busying playing GTAV with all the expansions and all the DLC for $10."

And that's when the companies are gonna start realizing, "Hey, we can't spend $125 million to develop a game because we only sold a million copies at $9.95."

Pretty much exactly the thing I'm most worried about with the game industry right now.

I can remember going to my local games shop being hype to finally purchase doom on the 3do, they had it running on a machine at the shop, think I was in denial but i bought it anyway even though my friend said, that game you've just bought looks shit!
I still played it through several, several times and loved it, but yeah, sucky version of doom, the music was amazing though.
Wonder what it would've looked like had it had the necessary Dev time, the 3do was a powerful machine at the time.

Corpekata

Banned
I think the stuff she had to say about game value was the best part of the interview:

Pretty much exactly the thing I'm most worried about with the game industry right now.

Don't really agree with half the stuff she says here.

Her example of Gas Powered Game is awful, for instance. They had been making mediocre stuff for a while, their last good game being Supreme Commander back in 2007. The kickstarter was not a good campaign, and like a week into it they fired a bunch of employees and turned the KS into "please fund our company" basically. Who would want to back that? They were the textbook company that probably "earned" its' eventual demise.

Top Bottom