• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebecca Heineman (ex-Interplay) and the AMAZING story of the 3DO DOOM port

Corpekata

Banned
Amusing article. I love the comments about the framerate, for all those revisionist people that act like it's only been a concern the past few years.

//ARCANUM

I've known multiple people in the film industry that acted just like this guy did in the games industry. Turned out pretty much the same for them too. When will these people finally figure out that they're not experts when they're not.... Experts?

She also did a long interview on the youtube channel Matt Chat like a lot of retro computer gaming devs.

https://www.youtube.com/user/blacklily8

A lot of great comments from the bonus video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBg6L4H7WdE&list=PL972B3C7EC2267394&index=5

It actually blows my mind how far things have come since 2010. She was talking about how she wished there was a way to fund development for Wasteland 2 and Bard's Tale IV... and then two years later Kickstarter happened. Crowdfunding really has been a game changer for the industry as a whole.

And her comments on Half-Life 3... "they could save a few million dollars (on cutscenes) and invest it into Half-Life 2 Episode 3 which could be released in 2017.. we hope...".

Well... it's 2016 now...

And it was a shame about her port of Half-Life 1 on Mac. Not like it matters now, because there is a port of HL1 for Mac. But, the bureaucracy around the game sales was just a terrible thing to hear. For them if HL1 on Mac sold 50k in sales (The Mac was on its death bead in '97-98), it was a good thing, but for Sierra 50k sales looked bad. I could only imagine this corporate mentality hurting a lot of small studios back then. It really did lead the game industry into the direction of "AAA" game development and left so many smaller studios to die in its wake.

Hasney

What a great read. Thanks.

This has to be the chess game mentioned, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADJu89qC-PA&list=PLAF87FC4F0C9026B4&index=7

What a magically goofy era for gaming.

Yeah, that's the one. Description from the 2nd video in the playlist:

This is a very obscure chess game published by WizardWorks in 1998 (created by Art Data Interactive in 1996). Think of Battle Chess but with an 8 minute intro FMV introducing the live action characters representing the pieces, FMV cut-scenes for each piece capture (some very fun to watch), and short FMV endings for each side's checkmate. Gameplay is on tilted perspective, "3D rendered", board with "lifelike 3D animated pieces" with options for different textured boards and backgrounds and traditionally shaped chess pieces.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Enjoyed the whole article.

RE: Doom 3DO

It is truly an awful port, no doubt about it, but when you compare to other 3DO games it doesn't seem THAT insanely bad. I mean, stuff like Killing Time (which was loved at the time) actually runs at a LOWER frame-rate than Doom 3DO. It's very VERY choppy (hitting like 3-4fps at points). So, I can see how it got approved and pushed through since it wasn't really out of place for the platform.

Really cool that a girl was doing all those work in an industry that had so many issues with women in games lately. Very cool that she was doing all this and people were going for her to do these jobs.

Wouldn't a port job at this time usually have a team of atleast 5 to 8? Wonder why she got out of the industry

Renekton

She has to be amazingly skilled to confidently port the ID games like that.

Carmack writes well-structured code sure, but still...

Hey, I know Rebecca! She's so cool. That 3DO Doom story is indeed fascinating. She mentions my game (Four Sided Fantasy) in this interview. I'm humbled and honored, I'm still processing it. She's been in the game industry for so long and worked on so many rad games, it makes me incredibly humbled to have her even acknowledge my game.

Just to give you an idea of how cool and generous she is:

I ran a Kickstarter for my game that I mentioned above. 3 days before the end of the Kickstarter, we still weren't funded and were a fairly long ways off, but we were showing the game at a small convention. Who was showing next to us? Rebecca, and her wife Jenell. That's where I met them for the first time.

Now, I'm pretty socially awkward sometimes, so I didn't really talk to them much. I just kinda kept to myself. But they took interest in my game, and asked me a bit about it, how I'm an indie game developer, and they said it looked really good. I talked to them a bit and learned that they had been in the industry for probably longer than I have been alive (and also learned that you should never assume someone hasn't been in the industry for a long time just because you don't recognize them). I was insanely impressed and thought that was super cool.

Now, we got down to the night before the last day of the Kickstarter, and it's still cutting it pretty close. Me and my friends were thinking we weren't going to make the goal.

The next day, I start seeing the game blow up on twitter. Tim Schafer tweets about us. Tom Hall (worked on the original Doom) backs us. Brenda Romero backs us. Rebecca backs us. I'm in awe, just in complete shock, trying to figure out how they heard about the game. We are funded with only a few hours left to go.

Shortly after the Kickstarter ends, Rebecca messages me something along the lines of "Hey, congratulations on getting funded! I thought the game looked really cool so I told my friends Tim Schafer and Brenda Romero about it."

I'm so, so, thankful for that. Like, this will be my first shipped commercial game (I'm now nearing the end of development), I've only shipped student games before, and so to have a veteran in the industry promote my game, someone who's just starting out, that's so cool.

(If you're reading this, Rebecca, I hope you're OK with me sharing that story :))

Haha, nice.

Which game?

low-G

I love these horror stories

I really want to know what that crazy former-CEO is now attempting to do with his life

It actually blows my mind how far things have come since 2010. She was talking about how she wished there was a way to fund development for Wasteland 2 and Bard's Tale IV... and then two years later Kickstarter happened. Crowdfunding really has been a game changer for the industry as a whole.

That kinect optimism though.

That kinect optimism though.

To be honest, Kinect was a great piece of hardware from a technology standpoint and it did hold a lot of potential. She pointed out all of the neat things that modders were doing with it on their PC's. It made for a great motion capture device for amature CG animators. I could see why she was excited for the technology behind it. But unfortunately, the business side of Microsoft really helped limit its appeal and usefulness.

tr00per

Technically you could consider every DOOM game that tho.

Bah dum tis.

I actually had a version converted to FLAC, then made for WAD files to play on the PC version back in the day. Wonder if I still have it on a drive somewhere packed away.

Oh man, I would love an excuse to run through it again. How did that work exactly? Did you just repack the original wads with the new soundtrack? I've never made my own wad

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Bah dum tis.

Oh man, I would love an excuse to run through it again. How did that work exactly? Did you just repack the original wads with the new soundtrack? I've never made my own wad

You would just use the tools to add the mp3 or ogg file to the music WADs. It has been years since I messed with it.

Here is a link for them though fro ZDoom, you can experiment if you feel up to it.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3dfbm5n3k18s7t6/3DO.pk3

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Very enjoyable read. I love stuff like this. Thanks OP.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I really do need to replay my N64 Doom again. I've still got the original hardware and it's always a blast.

How do you make $100k + $250k being a "member of a church".

My grandparents are members of their church and don't get paid anything. In fact, they get swindled out of $50 a week in "offerings".

Did he run the church? Also, Doom isn't very non-secular.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How do you make $100k + $250k being a "member of a church".

My grandparents are members of their church and don't get paid anything. In fact, they get swindled out of $50 a week in "offerings".

Did he run the church? Also, Doom isn't very non-secular.

He raised the money.

You got a smooth tongue, get people behind your idea, they trust more openly in that type on environment... and you can end up with this...

lakewood-church.jpg

;)

I find the irony that a church guy, got people behind the idea for DOOM (Hell), lol.

Mr Swine

Banned
Don't know about the N64 one but I agree the PS1 soundtrack was the best. That eerie ambient score fit the atmosphere better than the cheesy midi "metal".

No, just no. Replacing Doom 1/2 amazing soundtrack with the Eerie ambient score doesn't fit the game at all. Doom 64? Yes because it's leaning more on the horror side than the classic games (especially with the new graphics)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No, just no. Replacing Doom 1/2 amazing soundtrack with the Eerie ambient score doesn't fit the game at all. Doom 64? Yes because it's leaning more on the horror side than the classic games (especially with the new graphics)
PS1 versions had new graphics too. It was more horror-oriented and it worked great.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Don't know about the N64 one but I agree the PS1 soundtrack was the best. That eerie ambient score fit the atmosphere better than the cheesy midi "metal".
the fuck

doom is fast paced and high energy and the soundtrack reflects that. the lethargic console soundtracks are no good.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
PS1 versions had new graphics too. It was more horror-oriented and it worked great.

colored lighting is true horror (sorry i couldn't find any decent pictures of 'club doom')

doom is a game with PAR TIMES. it is a game meant to be played on ultra-violence with caps lock stuck forever in the 'on' position, and you're running sideways all the time because it's still not fast enough, surgically cutting down crowds of cartoon monsters to the rhythm of thumping metal covers.

just because you -can- play it easy and slow doesn't mean that's what was intended :)

im having a hard time reading the article on the website, anyone got a full transcript?

(just physically incapable of reading the article without the words blurring a lot)

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Great thread, thanks OP. Just spent the past 3 hours glued to nodontdie's other interviews including a lengthy two parter with Peter Molyneux, which is well worth a read. He sounds reasonably at peace with his recent criticisms, maybe almost reformed..?

Wow. As an inie dev that wasca fantastic read.
Hey, I know Rebecca! She's so cool. That 3DO Doom story is indeed fascinating. She mentions my game (Four Sided Fantasy) in this interview. I'm humbled and honored, I'm still processing it. She's been in the game industry for so long and worked on so many rad games, it makes me incredibly humbled to have her even acknowledge my game.

Just to give you an idea of how cool and generous she is:

I ran a Kickstarter for my game that I mentioned above. 3 days before the end of the Kickstarter, we still weren't funded and were a fairly long ways off, but we were showing the game at a small convention. Who was showing next to us? Rebecca, and her wife Jenell. That's where I met them for the first time.

Now, I'm pretty socially awkward sometimes, so I didn't really talk to them much. I just kinda kept to myself. But they took interest in my game, and asked me a bit about it, how I'm an indie game developer, and they said it looked really good. I talked to them a bit and learned that they had been in the industry for probably longer than I have been alive (and also learned that you should never assume someone hasn't been in the industry for a long time just because you don't recognize them). I was insanely impressed and thought that was super cool.

Now, we got down to the night before the last day of the Kickstarter, and it's still cutting it pretty close. Me and my friends were thinking we weren't going to make the goal.

The next day, I start seeing the game blow up on twitter. Tim Schafer tweets about us. Tom Hall (worked on the original Doom) backs us. Brenda Romero backs us. Rebecca backs us. I'm in awe, just in complete shock, trying to figure out how they heard about the game. We are funded with only a few hours left to go.

Shortly after the Kickstarter ends, Rebecca messages me something along the lines of "Hey, congratulations on getting funded! I thought the game looked really cool so I told my friends Tim Schafer and Brenda Romero about it."

I'm so, so, thankful for that. Like, this will be my first shipped commercial game (I'm now nearing the end of development), I've only shipped student games before, and so to have a veteran in the industry promote my game, someone who's just starting out, that's so cool.

(If you're reading this, Rebecca, I hope you're OK with me sharing that story :))

Haha, nice.

This is so cool, Rebecca seems like such a fantastic person that makes me look the industry with better eyes. The parts of it I know from firts hand, lets say that they are not so beaitiful and people can be horrible.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Everyone should read all of the nodontdie interviews. David Wolinsky is a man on a mission

Top Bottom