• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebecca Heineman (ex-Interplay) and the AMAZING story of the 3DO DOOM port

What a fantastic interview. Thanks for posting.

Rebecca is working on new versions of Bard's Tale 1, 2, and 3 for inXile to release as part of the Kickstarter for Bard's Tale 4. Should be fun to play those when they come out too.

Piggus

I'm ashamed to say that I don't think I've ever heard of her, but I'm very glad I have now. Thank you for sharing, OP!

Hey, I know Rebecca! She's so cool. That 3DO Doom story is indeed fascinating. She mentions my game (Four Sided Fantasy) in this interview. I'm humbled and honored, I'm still processing it. She's been in the game industry for so long and worked on so many rad games, it makes me incredibly humbled to have her even acknowledge my game.

Just to give you an idea of how cool and generous she is:

I ran a Kickstarter for my game that I mentioned above. 3 days before the end of the Kickstarter, we still weren't funded and were a fairly long ways off, but we were showing the game at a small convention. Who was showing next to us? Rebecca, and her wife Jenell. That's where I met them for the first time.

Now, I'm pretty socially awkward sometimes, so I didn't really talk to them much. I just kinda kept to myself. But they took interest in my game, and asked me a bit about it, how I'm an indie game developer, and they said it looked really good. I talked to them a bit and learned that they had been in the industry for probably longer than I have been alive (and also learned that you should never assume someone hasn't been in the industry for a long time just because you don't recognize them). I was insanely impressed and thought that was super cool.

Now, we got down to the night before the last day of the Kickstarter, and it's still cutting it pretty close. Me and my friends were thinking we weren't going to make the goal.

The next day, I start seeing the game blow up on twitter. Tim Schafer tweets about us. Tom Hall (worked on the original Doom) backs us. Brenda Romero backs us. Rebecca backs us. I'm in awe, just in complete shock, trying to figure out how they heard about the game. We are funded with only a few hours left to go.

Shortly after the Kickstarter ends, Rebecca messages me something along the lines of "Hey, congratulations on getting funded! I thought the game looked really cool so I told my friends Tim Schafer and Brenda Romero about it."

I'm so, so, thankful for that. Like, this will be my first shipped commercial game (I'm now nearing the end of development), I've only shipped student games before, and so to have a veteran in the industry promote my game, someone who's just starting out, that's so cool.

(If you're reading this, Rebecca, I hope you're OK with me sharing that story :))

Haha, nice.

Wow, that's awesome and congratulations!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Great read, thanks for posting.

The part just about slayed me:
Because he truly believed all you had to do to put a weapon in a game is to draw it.

He did believe that if you drew a weapon -- you just gave me the art file -- I would put it in the game and it would magically fire bullets. It would do all the effects animations and switch and -- he thought that was just me putting the art in there, hit "compile," and I'm done.

It's hilarious to read about today, but man, it must have been a nightmare to deal with at the time. Poor Rebecca.

Hey, I know Rebecca! She's so cool. That 3DO Doom story is indeed fascinating. She mentions my game (Four Sided Fantasy) in this interview. I'm humbled and honored, I'm still processing it. She's been in the game industry for so long and worked on so many rad games, it makes me incredibly humbled to have her even acknowledge my game.

Just to give you an idea of how cool and generous she is: *snip*.
Great story! :) Congrats on your first (commercial) game. It must be so amazing to hear "so yeah I talked to your game about my buddies <insert big name> and <insert other big name> and they backed your game" haha.

Lo_Fi

Great story! :) Congrats on your first (commercial) game. It must be so amazing to hear "so yeah I talked to your game about my buddies <insert big name> and <insert other big name> and they backed your game" haha.

Thanks! Yeah, I have never met Brenda Romero, and had only heard about her through my classes at the time (I went to school for game design), and I admire a lot of Tim Schafer's work, so it definitely was overwhelming. (Fun fact: a few years earlier, I stood in an elevator with Tim for about 5 seconds at DICE, but didn't know what to do other than stand there in silence :))

Man, that is a dope ass story! Congrats and good luck, I'll surely check your stuff out.

Thanks man!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I ran a Kickstarter for my game that I mentioned above. 3 days before the end of the Kickstarter, we still weren't funded and were a fairly long ways off, but we were showing the game at a small convention. Who was showing next to us? Rebecca, and her wife Jenell. That's where I met them for the first time.

Now, I'm pretty socially awkward sometimes, so I didn't really talk to them much. I just kinda kept to myself. But they took interest in my game, and asked me a bit about it, how I'm an indie game developer, and they said it looked really good. I talked to them a bit and learned that they had been in the industry for probably longer than I have been alive (and also learned that you should never assume someone hasn't been in the industry for a long time just because you don't recognize them). I was insanely impressed and thought that was super cool.

Now, we got down to the night before the last day of the Kickstarter, and it's still cutting it pretty close. Me and my friends were thinking we weren't going to make the goal.

The next day, I start seeing the game blow up on twitter. Tim Schafer tweets about us. Tom Hall (worked on the original Doom) backs us. Brenda Romero backs us. Rebecca backs us. I'm in awe, just in complete shock, trying to figure out how they heard about the game. We are funded with only a few hours left to go.

Shortly after the Kickstarter ends, Rebecca messages me something along the lines of "Hey, congratulations on getting funded! I thought the game looked really cool so I told my friends Tim Schafer and Brenda Romero about it."

I'm so, so, thankful for that. Like, this will be my first shipped commercial game (I'm now nearing the end of development), I've only shipped student games before, and so to have a veteran in the industry promote my game, someone who's just starting out, that's so cool.

(If you're reading this, Rebecca, I hope you're OK with me sharing that story :))

Great story. Good luck with your game!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I love stories like this. Thanks for sharing!

Orayn

My friend has a 3DO and I have played this version of Doom, though always with at least a few drinks in me. Knowing the story of how it came to be makes it more of a sad solidarity experience than "look at this shitty game lol."

I raise my glass and controller to you, Rebecca. At least the new music was kickass.

dracula_x

still reading

another great part:

But, you know, all you do is look at Gamasutra and you'll see pretty much every week another studio is closing. And in many cases, especially if it was an indie studio, it's usually because they made a game, they put it out there, they just weren't generating enough revenue to sustain their operations and so they closed.

Once it gets to a critical mass in which the consumer is now going to expect games to be $9.95, the crash is really gonna happen when a blockbuster game, which announces for $59.95 -- people just don't buy it. And their answer when you ask them is, "Oh, it looks like a great game, but you know what? I'll wait for the Steam summer sale or I'll wait for it to be discounted because I'm so busy playing all these other games I just bought that you know what? I don't have time to play GTAVII or whatever it is because I'm still busying playing GTAV with all the expansions and all the DLC for $10."

nkarafo

The CEO was a guy who was just a member of a church....

bluth.gif

According to her youtube video on the subject, the soundtrack was actually done by the CEO of Art Data Interactive and his garage band.

Boney

Banned

Haha, nice.
What a charming story. Rebecca sounds amazing, the excerpt on the op was hilarious, she's a great story teller. I'll look into the interview fully but I know it's gonna be a fantastic read. Glad Four Sided Fantasy is just about ready!

tr00per

According to her youtube video on the subject, the soundtrack was actually done by the CEO of Art Data Interactive and his garage band.

Say whaaa!?

Can't help but feel the industry is in serious trouble with truth bombs like that.

Great read OP, thanks for posting. Rebecca is a legend.

That's kinda the problem with the mobile games market. I shudder to think of that happening.

This is absolutely spot on. Rebecca for President (of something)...

But the big thing I've been noticing is when I go to E3 or GDC, I see hundreds of games that I say, "You know what? I'd like to play that. These are really good games. They deserve to make their money back." But I, myself, as an avid game-player have a long list of games that I've bought that are on my Steam account right now that I haven't had time to play yet.

And therein is the mathematical certainty that there's going to be a crash.

If there are more games being produced than the market can bear, there are gonna be people out there with games that deserve to be seen -- and with high production values -- that are gonna fail only because they just can't be seen in the crowd. That's when you're gonna see people get disillusioned, in which they put their heart and soul in the game, it looks really good, they show it to all their friends, their friends say, "Yay!" They then put it up on Steam or whatever platform it is and sell it to all their friends and then nobody buys it. Then when they ask their friends, "Hey, have you played my game?" "Uh, I'm still playing Such-and-such. I'll play your game as soon as I finish this one."

And as soon as they finish that game that they're working on, a new blockbuster shows up and takes their time. And then finally a year or two go by and they say, "Hey, have you played my game?" "Oh, I forgot about it."

i never liked Doom. Maybe it was playing Duke Nukem 64 before anything else. But it was it's lack of character. It's lack of interactivity. And it's ad that Duke couldn't do a Duke 4 like doom had Doom 2. And it's sad that Duke 5 coudln't have been like Doom 3. Because Doom retained it's Doomness. Whereas Duke went a weird route. It went to Tomb Raider knock offs and development hell. Sad

Well, Duke 64 did release 4 years after Doom. Back in the 90s 4 years was a bloody long time!

Lo_Fi

This is absolutely spot on. Rebecca for President (of something)...

I think shorter, tighter/more unique experiences are a potential solution to this problem. You look at all of the games today, and you see it all the time - people complaining about their backlogs (my wishlist on steam is 100+ games), people saying there's too many games. Most people don't even finish the games they play. So I think more people should be designing with a shorter experience in mind, giving players the absolutely greatest, tightest version of the game. Of course, prices should reflect the length and quality of the game, still.

I think shorter, tighter/more unique experiences are a potential solution to this problem. You look at all of the games today, and you see it all the time - people complaining about their backlogs (my wishlist on steam is 100+ games), people saying there's too many games. Most people don't even finish the games they play. So I think more people should be designing with a shorter experience in mind, giving players the absolutely greatest, tightest version of the game. Of course, prices should reflect the length and quality of the game, still.

I have several RPGs in my backlog, and a couple more in the pipe thanks to Kickstarters - Torment, Divinity Original Sin 2, Battletech, and Bard's Tale IV are the most prominent. But I won't buy anymore long games. I just don't have time for them. And I only consider short form games - no more than 15-20 hours at the maximum. Although to be fair, I do tend to give money to my favorite developers because I trust them - inXile, Harebrained, Larian.

Wow this was amazing. She seems incredibly skilled and I was thinking of ET when reading it and then she just up and mentions it.
Skilled people can make terrible games, easily, if given no time or budget, and yet somehow the soundtrack ended up being fantastic.
It was a weird situation.

I can't imagine how hard it must be to turn in a game you yourself describe as "unfinished" becuase you had no other choice.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I remember playing Black and when I went to ITT they told me that it's basically a video that plays the gun's animation over and over (of the bullet shells coming out of the gun). I thought the guy was talented, but I don't think he knew everything there was to know. I believe he and everyone else trying to teach game design got fired when I went there. It goes to show what people will believe.

I'd love to know how it's done, but the teacher was their 3D professor at ITT Tech.

I realize some people assume it's all done magically and that lay offs never happen in the industry.

I'm not a designer of the sorts. I just understand that it takes a lot of talent to make things happen and being in the IT field has shown me that it can't just happen in the blink of an eye either.

She must be incredibly talented for doing what she did. I can't imagine how hectic it must have been. I've been a big DOOM fan since the mid 90's. I also assume the people at the top were always trying to hit quota that didn't always seem obtainable.

You can imagine someone who has the job of telling people what to do and then the actual person doing the job.

Yeah, that's the one thing missing from this writeup of the Youtube video -- the guy's one good contribution was the soundtrack for 3DO Doom, which is thought of quite well. Going by the video, Heineman asked him to provide a CD soundtrack, and he had a garage band so he did it himself. At least he did one good thing, even if otherwise he was comically ignorant of what game development is.

While most of this article, and the video, is great, due to the passage of time she forgets some of the dates -- the 3DO released in late 1993, not 1995, and at $699, not $799; the 3DO sold far more than 300,000 systems worldwide thanks to moderate success in Japan (The 1.3-1.5 million range seems more accurate going by the info in the retro-sales thread); 3DO Doom released in late 1995 (or maybe early '96, though the box says '95) and the system saw its last releases in mid '96 so 3DO Doom didn't start development in mid '96, but mid '95; Wolf 3D for the 3DO released in October '95, just months before 3DO Doom, so yeah there wasn't much time for Doom development there; and Killing Time, which she mentions in the video as being the lead programmer for, also released in 1995; I forget exactly what the video says, but I think it's a bit off. Mobygames says Killing Time released in August 1995, before Wolf 3D and Doom.

Anyway, the best part of the video is where she goes through some actual code from the game showing how some things worked. Pretty cool stuff! Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBbIil2HPSU You'll notice how much of this article is a written-up version of the video.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ah yes, I don't think I asked Becky about the 3DO port if I recall correctly. Though yes I had the wonderful opportunity of interviewing her for two episodes last year and yea she is just full of so many stories. I think I managed to wrangle some information that has yet to be shared elsewhere like some of her Logicware work or he time at Electronic Arts. I suppose if somebody is wiling i can PM them the show links.

amazing interview. Prompted me to look up her company and apparently she's still trying to fit round pegs into square holes, so to speak. Her latest project was the Wii U port of Oddworld: New 'N' Tasty

GamerJM

Banned
Enjoyable read. It's so fascinating how common complete disaster development projects are in this industry, especially during those days.

Hasney

Ha, the guy at least had one talent then. That just adds another level of insane to the story based on how good it was.

Top Bottom