• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebel FM 14-1-09 feat. Shane (and his new job) and Skip

I missed the thread for the last episode but did Jade get her proper props? She should be a regular cast member, she's actually the only female i didn't mind talking about games on a podcast...

Mamesj said:
It's not as bad as the This American Life podcast, which really does beg for money for 5 minutes at the beginning of each episode. For TAL or Rebel.fm, it's understandable as these things cost time and money to record, produce, and host. Then you get to enjoy it for an hour plus with no interruption.

so people should get the fuck over it because complaining about it makes you look like a serious ass.
First, TAL is from Public Radio International. Public Radio. They do this sort of thing. Second, they only do it twice a year for a month. Ira is very upfront about where the money goes as well - to help with bandwidth costs - and even mentions that "this is the last time I'll ask for money for a few months" when the drive is over.

No_Style

Please don't stink up this thread with all the donations nonsense. It was addressed already in the 1UP/EGM closing thread which got locked. :(

Another good show, sounds like a good position for Shane, good luck to him. I've always found Shane is at his best on non 1up-yours podcasts, like this or Retronauts, where he just seems more relaxed.

Bog

Junior Ace
Anyone ever notice how much Shane sounds like Jimmy from South Park? It's all I can picture when he talks.

Chufmoney said:
We unfortunately havent purchased all the equipment we need. For next week we should have the full set up, including a whole new set of non-crap microphones and awesome compressors and the like. Bear with us, we couldnt get everythign we needed in time for this one!

You guys are rapidly getting there. Another great episode!

I was waiting for the patch before download so I wouldn't lose my Animal Orbs or Weapons, so I just started listening. Big ups for the Mark MacDonald bits. He was always one of my fave 1upz. That Metroid reminisce was epic.

Man, awesome sense of comraderie this episode. Hearing Shane so laid back was great, especially when he got all fatherly to the kids! :lol

brentech

I thought the episode was great, and the sound quality was fine. I guess my ears just don't pick up the imperfections like others. I usually listen to the podcasts on my way to/from work, but I was sick yesterday so I happened to listen while playing WOW.

I've always liked Shane a great deal, but as others have mentioned, he came off a little different than normal. Almost seemed like he was more laid back and it was great to hear the banter between each of you.

I really hope you guys decide to stick together and keep this thing going. Though, I understand jobs don't always allow you to live close enough or have the time for that kind of thing.
While life will surely continue to go on if it can't be done - it should just be known that it means a lot to the gaming community that you guys do what you do.

brentech, the reason you didn't hear many imperfections may be because they cleaned it up after ~first page of the thread (?). Agreed though, I really don't mind sound quality too much as long as someone isn't screaming. The PAX episode of 1 Up Yours is the only one that really annoyed me (I understand, skip. You did your best for what you had :lol ).

That being said, loved this podcast. Glad to hear its at the top of itunes.

El-Suave

The S-Word said:
I missed the thread for the last episode but did Jade get her proper props? She should be a regular cast member, she's actually the only female i didn't mind talking about games on a podcast...

Gamespot had a woman from their staff on their podcast for the post Thanksgiving episode. Sophia Tong I believe. Actually good and fun to listen to! They have one or two editors that can be annoying, but in general they've improved again post Gerstmann. I still prefer 1UP and Ex-1UP podcasts, but people shouldn't write off Gamespot completely like they often do here.

LiK

El-Suave said:
Gamespot had a woman from their staff on their podcast for the post Thanksgiving episode. Sophia Tong I believe. Actually good and fun to listen to! They have one or two editors that can be annoying, but in general they've improved again post Gerstmann. I still prefer 1UP and Ex-1UP podcasts, but people shouldn't write off Gamespot completely like they often do here.

indeed, Brendan is a terrific host and Tom McShea is hilarious. they've improved quite a lot.

border

The S-Word said:
She should be a regular cast member, she's actually the only female i didn't mind talking about games on a podcast...
*groan*

Jade Kraus: Misogynist's Choice Podcasting Award, 2009

I'm just coming out of the penalty box so I wasn't able to post when the shit hit the fan.

Just wanted to say best of luck to the guys and girls on both ends of this mess at 1up and Ex-Ziff and how amazed I am that the community pulled together and put its money where its mouth is.

We really showed these fools tangible evidence of how much they entertained us at what they mean to the hobbiest community.:D

Keep on keeping on. Rebel FM has been great from the start! I just can't wait for the 1up Show crew to regroup either. :D

Dante

I'm glad Shane addressed why there was that "Early XBOX 360 preference" at the offices. I think everybody knew why, it was just nice to hear it confirmed :)

Jag22

Banned
Good podcast, and it's sad seeing Shane go.

But Shane mentioned that he feels the PS3 has lived up to it's hype concerning it's power/graphics. I just find that really hard to believe. I remember a few years ago he was talking about on 1UP URs how Xbox 360 games didn't look next-gen, and how the PS3 games did.

Dante said:
I'm glad Shane addressed why there was that "Early XBOX 360 preference" at the offices. I think everybody knew why, it was just nice to hear it confirmed :)

I'm glad they all addressed how obscenely ridiculous it ever was to accuse their reviewers of bias. So happy someone said it on what is now such a large stage.

dexterslu

KefkaTaran said:
Deal, but it should be clear that we do still want jobs. Also, never made any jokes about wanting donations and will not. Would rather not get into THAT stuff again.

We weren't "requesting" money -- I mentioned that there's a donate button on our site, as well as the sites of a couple other ex-1UP friends. I also noted that you guys have already given way way way more than we expected, so I didn't expect that to be read as "PLEASE GIVE US MORE OMG."

Also, if you'd rather be donating to Shoe, you should note the Donate button at the top of the Sore Thumbs blog. It's been there for a long while now:

http://sorethumbsblog.com/
Just donated a quarter!

Paznos

You'll be missed Shane GL with the new job hopefully you'll do some podcasts from time to time.

He watched Passions??? :D Nice to see I wasn't the only one.

shpankey

not an idiot
Dante said:
I didn't get that part... right before that the other guys were kind of ranting about how there was no bias and that they either liked a game or not and would rate and review accordingly, then they asked Shane and he said the thing about how everyone wants to knock down the big guy. Maybe I misunderstood but it sounded a little like talking out of both sides of your mouth, so to speak.

shpankey said:
I didn't get that part... right before that the other guys were kind of ranting about how there was no bias and that they either liked a game or not and would rate and review accordingly, then they asked Shane and he said the thing about how everyone wants to knock down the big guy. Maybe I misunderstood but it sounded a little like talking out of both sides of your mouth, so to speak.

I think what the guys were talking about before Shane started commenting on "the Xbox 360 and taking down the big guy" is that any perceived biases or preconceptions heading into a review on console X did not factor into review scores like many people believe.

El-Suave

shpankey said:

I think what Shane meant the difference between a bias and a preference. He was exactly right when he said that i.e. Xbox Live is a great incentive for people who are very well connected to play mostly on 360 instead of PS3. Everybody is on there instead of PSN, so why not play a game that's out on both systems on the one where your friends are? If I had lots of people on my friend list I'd probably do it, too. It's only natural, especially in an industry where everybody seems to know everybody else.
These days it has gotten a bit better, and you hear stuff like "PS3 has fewer (or no) games" or "every time I turn on my PS3 it needs to update" out of the mouths of professionals only rarely. Statements like those are (were) pretty annoying towards people who used the console a lot and knew about its features.

Finished listening to the podcast right now. Great show guys.

Fox318

10wl474.jpg

Great show again. Sounds like I'll continue listening to RFM for a while.

Hard to believe we won't be hearing Shane every week. I've always enjoyed his take, and I don't give two shits about accusations of bias people toss at him (or anyone writing about games for that matter). I thought he addressed the correct definition of bias -- it's not the fanyboyism you see on forums, it's just a series of little things that color one's decisions or perceptions at times. Mostly it's harmless, because as I've said before, this is gaming not the White House or a foreign affairs bureau. The guys loves gaming and it always showed. That's all I care about out of game reviewers/podcasters/bloggers, etc.

ColR100

Great podcast, and I really enjoyed the little stories from the 1up days. Keep up the good work you lot.

Something though, Shane........

Shane Bettenhausen said:
"I had been thinking about my next step for a long time now and I've been in games journalism for nine years now, which is a really long time, and one of my dreams from the beginning was to make games,"

I know it's petty, but I can't see how you will be actually 'making games', like you said quite a few times towards the end of the show. I don't know what your position entails, but it sounds like a publishing position and nowhere near a developing one by the title. I could very well be wrong though.

PR and community people don't 'make games' (I know some radiate this impression though), it's not their job, even green lighting localisations is the same.

I wish you the best of luck though, Ignition have brought some amazing games to Europe that a lot of other publishers would steer well clear of, so a great company in my book.

witness

Great show guys, didn't notice sound problems when I downloaded it from zune. Fantastic job guys, keep this work going.

Struct09

witness said:
Great show guys, didn't notice sound problems when I downloaded it from zune. Fantastic job guys, keep this work going.

The initial version I downloaded from Zune marketplace definitely had problems. I redownloaded it after they updated it and it sounded way better.

Cruzader

Banned
I will miss thy ManGod. I hope he gets together with Ken Kutaragi and make PSQuatro.

And will the guys make an RSS 2.0 feed for my psp in the future?

billy.sea

Banned
Which is worst? Phil going to Atari or Shane going to Ignition?
Maybe Shane was going to apply to IGN to work on the Sony channel, but accidently send his resume to Ignition instead.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
rocK` said:
I don't get what all the love for Shane is.

Whenever he tries to speak about fighting games, I cringe.
Its just misplaced Kathy Griffen love... they sound the same.

I KID, I like the guy, but I don't like him more or less than the others really. Sad to think he's gonna get out of the game.

rocK` said:
I don't get what all the love for Shane is.

Whenever he tries to speak about fighting games, I cringe.
He has relatively unique opinions (among the podcast crew) and isn't afraid to state and defend them. He's been around a while and has done of lot of interesting interviews and articles, so he has tons of cool developer tid-bits and stories.

I definitely love the rest of the crew and think they all bring great things to the table, if Nick, Anthony, Philip, Matt, Ryan, etc... were heading off for good there would probably be a lot of love thrown their way as well.

Wow, I am stunned that Rebel FM is still so high on the charts, it's currently the #11 podcast on iTunes overall. And there are already 400+ reviews on iTunes for it!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i hope you guys heard the /filmcast give you guys props this week on their revolutionary road review episode. those guys are great.

Kuroyume

Banned
The show was really good. The one thing that I really wished Shane would have talked about was his experience of the events leading up to being fired. I've heard the first Rebel FM and the other show with Greg and Skip and I'm still fascinated by how people describe their experience of that day.

Dante

BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm glad they all addressed how obscenely ridiculous it ever was to accuse their reviewers of bias. So happy someone said it on what is now such a large stage.

Everybody has a bias be it small or large. I think the ZD staff was good at being fair and balanced for the most part. You could call things out on either side. I know you don't own a PS3, and given that, you may not have noticed, but there was a bit of a 360 bias early on whether you want to acknowledge it or not, and I'm glad Shane shed some light on why it was there.

I think It's even fair to say that there's been a complete bias against the Wii at 1Up. Given that I agree with their sentiments, I don't feel the need to complain about it or even acknowledge such bias exists....Funny how that works :)

Kuroyume

Banned
Btw, is there a name for the Fallout 3 area with ghosts that was mentioned on the podcast? I want to see if there's a video of it on Youtube.

Top Bottom