• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recent PS4 SDK update unlocked 7th CPU core for gaming

texore

Powah!
PkCWH7.gif

DieH@rd

Banned
full core for gaming, sdk update 2 months ago, 1st party exclusive for now.

:)

Are people over exaggerating this, will this give games that are cpu heavy like a 3fps boost if it's running at 27fps?

If you want to look it that way, then yeah.

But it also enables developers to put more enemies on screen, more interactive stuff, larger game worlds, to prevent dips below 30fps, to create perfect framepaced experiences, to easily reach 60/90/120fps rendering needed for VR games, etc.

FranXico

So will this improve performance on games that are already out, or is it up to devs to take advantage of this?

Too much effort. Games that are already out would have to be rebuilt using a newer version of the SDK, leading to extensive additional QA, huge patches and whatnot.
Expect only upcoming games to benefit from this.

Why stop here?

Why not unlock all 8GB of the GDDR5 and overclock the GPU and CPU to the Xbox One speeds?

If you're not melting plastic, you're not trying hard enough.

Btw, does anyone think that Javascript might cause UI slugginess?

Browsers also used to be slow sometimes before JIT became the norm...

I'd also like to know how the PS3 was able to run both an OS and a game on a single-core CPU (1 PPE, 2 threads, so it's not really dual-core). I'm not talking about the SPUs, since these are specialized cores.

saunderez

I'd also like to know how the PS3 was able to run both an OS and a game on a single-core CPU (1 PPE, 2 threads, so it's not really dual-core). I'm not talking about the SPUs, since these are specialized cores.

Because the PS3 OS did hardly anything when games were running. There's a good reason why when we got in-game XMB it was pretty much useless.

Because the PS3 OS did hardly anything when games were running. There's a good reason why when we got in-game XMB it was pretty much useless.
I get it, XMB is kinda slow and limited, but it still supported a basic form of multitasking (downloading in the background, receiving text messages etc.)

So, the question remains: how did they allocate the PPE resources? Did games have access to the entire PPE or not? Did they allocate one thread to the game and another thread to the OS?* Why can't they do the same this time around?

* http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-vs-backwards-compatibility-on-xbox-one

Well, as we understand it, the Xbox 360 CPU has two threads per core, and that threading is handled in a fairly primitive manner, with the processor effectively working as six 1.6GHz threads.

XBOX 360 has 3 PPE cores = 6 threads.

I wonder, with all the recent PS4 announcements (PC/Mac app, PS2 emulation, etc.) if this will be brought up at PSX like those other examples most likely will.

truth411

The PS3 didn't use the PPE for the OS, the PS3 reserved 1 SPU for its OS.

thelastword

Banned
You don't upclock after the system is out for retail.

For newer models, maybe. It's extremely unlikely developers would be told to make the most of it though and I'd imagine a lower TDP would be preferred by Sony.

IIRC, MS forced latency into the S models of the 360 as moving everything on package from a separate CPU and GPU socket made the system faster.
It's a huge risk which I agree should not be taken, but it is possible via firmware....Really not advisable though. FWIW, I think access to the extra core and GPGPU should be enough to steady some of the odd/random 1-2 frame drops we've been getting in otherwise solid games. Obviously, it will do more than that too.

Eurogamer did not guess and they have source who confirmed that its shared between OS and Game.
I don't think that's a conclusive statement....tbh.

DF said:
Right now it's not entirely clear whether similar conditions are in place at all on PlayStation 4, but one source informs us that PlayStation 4's debugging and analysis tool - called Razor - "splits the activity on that core between user and system", which does seem to suggest that the seventh processing core is shared to a certain extent between the OS and game.

truth411

So, how did the OS run without a CPU (PPE)?
Not my expertise, but it's well know fact and Sony was very open about it. Cell had 1 PPE and 8 SPEs. They disabled 1 Spe for better yields and dedicated 1 Spe for the OS and Security (a big reason why it took years for the PS3 to be hacked). Leaving the PPE and 6 SPEs for game developers.

Not my expertise, but it's well know fact and Sony was very open about it. Cell had 1 PPE and 8 SPEs. They disabled 1 Spe for better yields and locked 1 Spe for the OS and Security (a big reason why it took years for the PS3 to be hacked). Leaving the PPE and 6 SPEs for game developers.
They were open about the SPE part, not the PPE one.

truth411

They were open about the SPE part, not the PPE one.
Lol, dude yes they were. Cell was a completely different beast, the PPE was used to send out as much task to the SPEs thereby increasing performance. There have been plenty of Naughty dawg and insomniac videos and articles about how they used Cell over the years. They were very proud of it, in any case the PS3 OS ran off the 7th SPE.

Lol, dude yes they were. Cell was a completely different beast, the PPE was used to send out as much task to the SPEs thereby increasing performance. There have been plenty of Naughty dawg and insomniac videos and articles about how they used Cell over the years. They were very proud of it, in any case the PS3 OS ran off the 7th SPE.
That's like saying that the PS4 OS runs on the GPU via GPGPU offloading. You know that's impossible, right? Specialized cores are specialized for a reason. You'll always need a traditional CPU for generic tasks.

So no, the entire PS3 OS didn't ran off the 7th SPE... it used the SPE for very specific tasks that could be accelerated, like encryption for example.

Jaguar is more akin to the PPE, with plenty of additional improvements (OoO execution/better branch prediction), so if the PS4 OS needs a CPU to run, then it makes sense that the PS3 OS needs a traditional (not SIMD) CPU core as well. That's all I'm saying.

I have a suspicion that the OS and the game had to share the same PPE and that's why the XMB was sluggish sometimes.

truth411

That's like saying that the PS4 OS runs on the GPU via GPGPU offloading. You know that's impossible, right? Specialized cores are specialized for a reason. You'll always need a traditional CPU for generic tasks.

So no, the entire PS3 OS didn't ran off the 7th SPE... it used the SPE for very specific tasks that could be accelerated, like encryption for example.

Jaguar is more akin to the PPE, with plenty of additional improvements (OoO execution/better branch prediction), so if the PS4 OS needs a CPU to run, then it makes sense that the PS3 OS needs a traditional (not SIMD) CPU core as well. That's all I'm saying.

I have a suspicion that the OS and the game had to share the same PPE and that's why the XMB was sluggish sometimes.
Seriously, Seriously?? The SPEs are not mini GPGPUs. Bro this is settled facts, comparing a traditional cpu to cell isn't even an Apple to oranges comparison, it's like comparing zebras to a hippopotamus. Unless your accusing Sony of lying for 8 years including third party developers involved in the conspiracy, obviously absurd. Cell was exotic and did many things that traditional CPUs couldn't do. It's a fact that the PS3 OS ran off the 7th SPU, thus your understanding of what the PS3 SPEs capabilities are is an error. Again Facts.

onQ123

You do know that GCN CU's could actually run a OS right?

Seriously, Seriously?? The SPEs are not mini GPGPUs. Bro this is settled facts, comparing a traditional cpu to cell isn't even an Apple to oranges comparison, it's like comparing zebras to a hippopotamus. Unless your accusing Sony of lying for 8 years including third party developers involved in the conspiracy, obviously absurd. Cell was exotic and did many things that traditional CPUs couldn't do. It's a fact that the PS3 OS ran off the 7th SPU, thus your understanding of what the PS3 SPEs capabilities are is an error. Again Facts.
I don't think you know what you're talking about.

GPU CUs are akin to Cell SPUs. That's what GPGPU is for. Plenty of devs have said this, including Mark Cerny and ICE Team programmers. Why are you surprised? Cell was an early example of an "APU" (PPE -> Jaguar, SPUs -> GPU Compute Units). It heavily influenced the industry.

It's ridiculous to claim that a fully-fledged OS can run solely on the SPU. I've never accused anyone of lying, so do me a favour and stop putting words in my mouth. I just said that Sony has never elaborated on the PPE resource allocation. Yes, they've explained the SPU allocation, but that's it. You still need the PPE for more generic CPU-oriented tasks. Fact.

Calm down, read what I've said carefully (don't twist my words again) and please check the facts.

Top Bottom