• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recent PS4 SDK update unlocked 7th CPU core for gaming

tuxfool

Banned
Well you're not joking at all, that's very much true. You can't throw more cores at an antiquated game engine and expect them to do anything. Even modern bleeding-edge engines have a hard time doing anything useful with much more than 4 cores. We're only just starting to see a tangible benefit from having >4 threads in video games.

Actually FO4 is highly threaded, even so far as to use Hyperthreading.

Still, it doesn't prevent the random performance issues on PC.

Vashetti

Banned
Asked on the previous page but no one replied, will this drive up power consumption and heat?

And may as well ask: old games won't see any benefit unless they're patched, right?

Vita firmware 3.50 gave back 30% of RAM for devs and games such as Borderlands 2 and several others have been updated to take account of it.

Raptor

Probably cause of the Druckmman, he wants to U4 to run at 60fps because he saw the backlash on Gaf.

We did it baby!!

FranXico

Asked on the previous page but no one replied, will this drive up power consumption and heat?

And may as well ask: old games won't see any benefit unless they're patched, right?

Vita firmware 3.50 gave back 30% of RAM for devs and games such as Borderlands 2 and several others have been updated to take account of it.

Does Borderlands 2 now run better on the Vita?

Vashetti

Banned
Does Borderlands 2 now run better on the Vita?

Yes, still not a locked 30fps but performance from launch to now is night-and-day. The last patch with the 30% RAM update was a big surprise as the devs had led us to believe that the previous patch would be the final one.

Games that take account of the updated reserve can now lock out access to certain multi-tasking features to keep the game running/looking better. For example RE: Revelations 2 locks out access to Trophies, the web browsers, etc. whilst the game is running.

Futurematic

Again, I want to see actual data. There has to be something wrong, no matter how impressive the twister is.
Moore's law. Apple A9 is at 14/16nm, after the A8 at 20nm and way back is Jaguar at 28nm.

Plus Apple's CPU team is Intel level impressive, leagues ahead of AMD.

tuxfool

Banned
You don't optimize for hyperthreading. It's transparent to the os.

Of course. I'm just saying it is decently threaded, so far as to use more than 4 threads effectively. And that its particular workload benefits from hyperthreading.

Sounds good, but I doubt devs were making fantastic use of 6 cores. Multithreading games is tricky, single-core performance is still what matters most.

Having a CPU that's significantly worse than what's in today's cellphones is a "beast" now?

While I dont disagree that the cpu as a whole is weak, its far from being worse than a cell phones cpu

vio

rbaLb4k.gif

Orayn

Exceptions rather than the rule though right?

Seems like every new game I've played lately struggles to hold 30fps

That's on the developers because they know what they have to work with. A locked framerate is almost always possible, it's all a matter of what the devs are willing to sacrifice for it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It does (very well threaded even), the game is just shitsville in terms of design in what it does with that utilization IMO. Game is ugly as fuck.

I actually finally saw it running in person the other day. After spending a lot of time with Battlefront, it was actually rather shocking. (Yes, I'm well aware how different the games are). There was a point where my friend was running through the wasteland and everytime a bush with some berries appeared, the framerate tanked. Those berries must be some serious shit.

TimFL

I still wonder what the arm chip amd 256mb of lddr ram supposed to do in ps4

Big selling point was handling background downloads while in standby (not working though so it's probably just there to handle basic standby tasks).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
TouchMyBox said:
The A4-5100 has 2MB L2 cache and runs at 1.55 GHz, the PS4 has 2MB L2 cache (x2 between the 2 4core modules) and runs at 1.6GHz so if you look at single-core benchmark results for that chip and round up a little bit you should be getting a pretty decent idea of what the PS4 cpu is capable of.
That might work if you were comparing dhrystone ratings, which Apple CPUs have never been tested on afaik (I wonder why).
Ie. if things worked that way for "real world workloads" that geekbench is supposed to emulate, PSP would have outperformed PS2 most of the time. CPU workloads are very sensitive to the memory-subsystem, and PS4s is dramatically different from any laptop or mobile device you're comparing to here.

omonimo

Banned
It does (very well threaded even), the game is just shitsville in terms of design in what it does with that utilization IMO. Game is ugly as fuck.
That's incredible even with all so how many features graphic mostly are terribly applied. We can't even catch most of them at all for the terrible design.

tuxfool

Banned
Yes, we know Jaguar is older and on an older fab process, but we're also comparing a console to a phone, people.

Yeah. However one should condition people not expect the same performance out of a phone.

For starters, it is more thermally limited in a phone enclosure and it also has to run on batteries. The reason they push for these improvements on phones is because phone workloads are very bursty. They save power by racing to idle, and the quicker one executes the quicker one can put the CPU to sleep.

Now if that CPU ends up in something like the Apple TV (with some additional active cooling) then that cpu could murder Jaguar.

That might work if you were comparing dhrystone ratings, which Apple CPUs have never been tested on afaik (I wonder why).
Ie. if things worked that way for "real world workloads" that geekbench is supposed to emulate, PSP would have outperformed PS2 most of the time. CPU workloads are very sensitive to the memory-subsystem, and PS4s is dramatically different from any laptop or mobile device you're comparing to here.

This too.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
i didnt se a thread on this.... but what is up with CliffyB thrashing of neogaf earlier today on twitter

I suppose he's still in his "I know a lot of devs and all of them hate GAF" mode.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I would love to hear from a dev what they can do with this 7th core.
Like, let's say rockstar how would this this influence GTA.

Twister CPU core is already significantly faster than current gen console CPU cores. Twister beats Jaguar in all areas. It has significantly higher IPC (wider execution, deeper OoO), it has slightly higher max clocks and it has much faster and larger caches. Comparing performance/watt is not easy, as the core counts differ, and the manufacturing process differs. However I would expect performance/watt to be one of the key design points in Twister CPU design (as mobile phones are it's main market segment).

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1881213/

That's incredible even with all so how many features graphic mostly are terribly applied. We can't even catch most of them at all for the terrible design.
I get the feeling most of the "graphical effects" like volumetric lighting were made after the fact as a lipstick on a pig and a bullet point.

Those berries must be some serious shit.
lol

Not only expensive in terms of rendering, but core to the game-world design! Those berries give people diarrhea. Which explains why the game looks like shit everywhere. Bethesda really thinks of everything.

Gurish

Exceptions rather than the rule though right?

Seems like every new game I've played lately struggles to hold 30fps

No, it's more like FO4 and few others are the exceptions rather than the rule, most games run good and at a stable 30.

Hardware capabilities always get gradually unlocked throughout the generation. Microsoft being loud about it this gen was the exception.

It people are made aware of this, maybe it will hopefully stop the PS4 CPU FUD.

Lol, I remember a guy on Reddit saying ps4 was good at beautiful 1v1 duels while Xbox could do major battles because of the cpu. Some folks lol

This is great news! I wish it would retrofit into games that are CPU limited though. I suppose some long-term running games like FF Realm Reborn might patch in support to improve performance.

Microsoft kinda messed up a bit with the snap ability, as it limits their ability to reduce CPU usage further. But perhaps the new OS helps.

I look forward to the release of more RAM. Isn't OS hogging like three gigabytes on each console?

Let's hope they're also making strides in reducing the OS' memory footprint. The amount they reserved initially seems pretty conservative.

Top Bottom