• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recent PS4 SDK update unlocked 7th CPU core for gaming

farisr

Haha, I was talking about them doing some "secret sauce" stuff like this in the other thread earlier today about seeing substantial improvements in games as this gen goes on like last gen.

Next is probably more RAM being freed up for gaming or something along the same lines.

Or on the really unlikely, probably never gonna happen end of the list of possible scenarios, they could even up the CPU clock speed via firmware like they did for the PSP.

Or on the really unlikely, probably never gonna happen end of the list of possible scenarios, they could even up the CPU clock speed via firmware like they did for the PSP.

Probably not this, the PSP was designed to hit 333mhz from day one, but was scaled back to improve battery life and was only 'unlocked' when later models were released that could handle more than 4 hours on it.

You think wrong... CPU intensive games are gonna benefit from it. It might not be a lot, but just enough to let them hit a smooth 60/30fps. That's all we need honestly.

Even if some smaller tasks can be offloaded to a 7th core [audio, compression & simmilar stuff], the benefit will still be there.

It will not necessarily help with those games in those situations where they are limited by sequential performance though.

Now if that CPU ends up in something like the Apple TV (with some additional active cooling) then that cpu could murder Jaguar.

The AppleTV uses an A8 AFAIK. The iPad Pro, on the other hand, uses an A9X. It's still 3 cores (I think?) vs 8, but I don't think it throttles. The iPhones themselves throttle less than the industry average.

It will not necessarily help with those games in those situations where they are limited by sequential performance though.

Considering the amount of different stuff that's part of game logic, I think only less ambitious games wouldn't see any gain.

PS4's APU seems to keep the cooling system busing as it is. Do not expect any clock increases. XB1 did it because of its over-engineered cooling, which in turn was thanks to the rest of the box being really under-engineered.

Having a CPU that's significantly worse than what's in today's cellphones is a "beast" now?

People would have cried foul at a high price its always a compromise with power vs price not mention optimizationdue to it being a dedicated gaming system.Also lets be fair and compare cpu to two year old phones,theres a reason phone games dont look as great.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
PS4's APU seems to keep the cooling system busing as it is. Do not expect any clock increases. XB1 did it because of its over-engineered cooling, which in turn was thanks to the rest of the box being really under-engineered.

And that was before launch, so count it out after the specs are completely finalized and out in the wild like now.

Kindekuma

Banned
What happens if we unlock ALL the cores?
hlzLBRG.jpg

JP

A bit extra is a good thing to see, whatever the platform is.

I know it's not as simple as it doing something for one so it does the same for the other but what difference did the Xbox get out of this happening?

You only have to look at the performance gap (graphics only) between battlefront/frostbite or MGSV vs Fallout 4 to see just how wide the spread of current ability out there is in optimisation. As the last slide in the OPs PDF says, "we've only scratched the surface".

There is definitely jumps in performance available when programmers get to live with a fixed configuration for five years vs constantly aiming at a moving target (the next GPU, the next API, the next next GPU, the next next API). In the first case, the stuff you did in year 1 could be re-engineered in year 5 to be much faster and/or look much better.
In the second case, the stuff you did in year 1 you no longer even think about - its all about learning the latest gpu card.

We're already seeing that effect: They could definite re-do and re-release battlefield 4 now, to look and perform as nicely as battlefront and yet so many assumed the performance of battlefield 4 was the product of the ps4/xbox one hardware, not the product of the knowledge at that particular point in time.

I've no doubt Fallout 4 in different hands, with a different engine, could be the same GAME, but look so much better and not have those old school loading transitions. It's just a matter of what studio will be first to bring the gameplay talent of bethesda to an engine that isn't so blandly generic and un-optimised/janky.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Batman Arkham Knight
Witcher 3 (after latest patch)
Assassin's Creed Syndicate

All already running with better framerate on PS4, so I'm not sure why it needed any help for open worlds in the first place.

You're confused because you assumed I was talking about it relative to the Xbox One.
What my point was it would help open world games keep a more consistent framerate at seven cores than at six, which is a nice thing because as far as I know, all open world games have some form of framerate issues here and there, and this SDK should help alleviate some of those issues.

Orayn

Just out of interest, what is sequential performance?

How fast the console can accomplish a particular task on a single thread/CPU core. A lot of the time, games run separate threads for things like sound, physics, AI, etc.

Adding another core for games is unlikely to make any of those individual tasks easier to perform, though it may give you better parallel performance where you're accounting for everything that can be done at once.

StevieP

Banned

The X1 had more engineering complication to it than the ps4, because its initial design goals were different for hardware and software (and its memory subsystem was designed as such early on, due to the necessesity of its memory amount. They couldn't rely on sheer luck). There's a reason the chip is bigger, and yet it has less hardware grunt.

How fast the console can accomplish a particular task on a single thread/CPU core. A lot of the time, games run separate threads for things like sound, physics, AI, etc.

Adding another core for games is unlikely to make any of those individual tasks easier to perform, though it may give you better parallel performance where you're accounting for everything that can be done at once.

Ok, I'm sorry to keep bombarding you with questions lol, but:

- What is parallel performance?
- And you mention that each thread/core can accomplish a particular task e.g. for things like sound, physics, AI, so then surely an extra core can, for example, add an extra physics task to that extra core, no?
- Or can it even help split a physics task from one core and add half of it to the extra core?

Or is that not how it works?

Just out of interest, what is sequential performance?

Here's a very simple, if a little flawed, analogy. Imagine that you have a simple game in which you control a team of miners that have to break down some rock blocks. The miners are nerds and work alone on one block. The blocks may lie on other blocks; this requires complete destruction of the block above before you start breaking down ones below. You have a sequential performance problem when a single, huge, long to break block happens to cover all the stuff. No count of nerd miners is going to speed up breaking it down.

rambis

Banned
The X1 had more engineering complication to it than the ps4, because its initial design goals were different for hardware and software (and its memory subsystem was designed as such early on, due to the necessesity of its memory amount. They couldn't rely on sheer luck). There's a reason the chip is bigger, and yet it has less hardware grunt.
I think overcomplicated is a great way to describe the X1 I think. Sony got a much better design at seemingly a better price. 8GB Or "luck" withstanding. And Sony even got them jump on them in the software stack mostly. Its to be expected that Sony would be more competent as a hardware company but its jarring how much tbe difference ended up being with them both outsourcing AMD.

MS had to do a lot of catching up to get to this point. Sony I think was much more prepared for this generation.

StevieP

Banned
I think overcomplicated is a great way to describe the X1 I think. Sony got a much better design at seemingly a better price. 8GB Or "luck" withstanding. And Sony even got them jump on them in the software stack mostly. Its to be expected that Sony would be more competent as a hardware company but its jarring how much tbe difference ended up being with them both outsourcing AMD.

MS had to do a lot of catching up to get to this point. Sony I think was much more prepared for this generation.

Microsoft couldn't rely on lucky 11th hour design changes with their set goals in mind for the original X1 plan. That is why the APU is what it is. The die is larger because of it (if they had similar luck 6 months prior in some alternate universe and put the extra die space into CUs it would have a better gpu, for example - but that's neither here nor there)

Top Bottom