• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me... Laptop Gaming or PC gaming

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I plan to get a laptop just to be able to play the most recent titles, I admit I have disconnected for a long time from pc gaming and i dont know the pieces, RAM, Graphics card or motherboard.

I would like a Laptop strong enough to at least play without problems the titles of this generation and the next one if possible, streaming and ultra.

The inconvenience I see is that they get too hot, so I would like you to help me because I plan to only invest $ 1300 dollars, I can invest more of that I have no problem, however I consider that it is already a lot of money so that in a short time they arrive Better models and start to become obsolete.

I would like to know what models I recommend, also because unfortunately they only talk to me about components, but they never tell me for example that Battlefield I can support ULTRA at 60 FPS or that Gears of War 4 is at 60 FPS

for example:

this laptop which is the benchmark? can i play metro exodus in high 60fps?

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Is there a reason why you want a laptop over a desktop? You can get more for your money with a gaming PC, is portability that important to you?

Ovek

7Member7
At the minimum you are going to have to spend an extra $1000 to get anything remotely decent.

Shai-Tan

Banned
if you're frequently at home you should ask yourself whether you would rather have passable instead of good performance just to be able to play away from home (unless you want to spend a lot more money to get equivalent performance). also consider how much you're overestimating the time you would actually spend playing games out and about. You could also go well under the cost of a good gaming laptop by getting a desktop and nintendo switch which has superior portability for playing on the train or whatever.

If you want top-of-the-line gaming performance, in terms of price, a desktop will ALWAYS be more efficient.

I'd recommend a laptop for gaming purposes if you're going to be mobile a lot, you do stuff on it other than games, and are fine with a trade-off between portability and gaming performance.

I currently have a Gigabyte Aero 15 that's about 2 years old now, and I don't particularly care for Ultra-HD or stunning visual settings, so I get by with it (plus, I don't have time to play that many games anymore, so that's also another issue).

For the laptop you mentioned, a GTX 1050 ain't playing anything modern at ultra settings in 60 fps. The GPU is key for gaming purposes.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
As mentioned above but Ill say it again.

Only get a laptop if you are going to play a lot of games on the go.

If you plan on gaming at home, get a desktop. For portability at home there are things like Steam Link and the Steam app which can fling your games to other devices, while allowing your desktop to do the actual processing.

petran79

Banned
The price to performance ratio between laptop and desktop is usually 1/3. With a 600$ new desktop you'll have the same performance as a new 1500+ $ laptop.

If you plan on gaming and downloading media, add also an external usb3 HDD because laptop HDD are not sufficient in capacity for this. Also a DVD or bd USB drive if you want to watch movies and a dvd/bd decrypter software

One serious issue I have because of this is that when I plug the laptop external HDD to the desktop to transfer files or vice versa, file structure becomes messed up and files are lost. Only USB sticks solve this,which is a hassle

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Is there a reason why you want a laptop over a desktop? You can get more for your money with a gaming PC, is portability that important to you?
Thank you... Well actually because im out of my home and I rent a house. Other reason Its because I dont know how to build a pc gaming 🙈

Heimdall_Xtreme

Can you help me guys. Actually I wish a better pc gaming. But saddly there is people to try to cheat the costumers. For example put as Benchmark Metal Gear The phantom pain as Ultra and I know that is a game with a excellent optimitation that even old pc can run it. So I want to think that for example Metro exudus is a Benchmark of PC gaming. For example. This PC what game can I play and what settings.?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Last edited:

nkarafo

Gaming laptops are not a good idea IMO. Far more expensive and fragile. And a powerful one that has even more demanding hardware will probably be worse. Personally, i never had a good, stable experience with laptops. Honestly, with the same money you would be better off getting 2 gaming desktops, one for each house (if you have TVs to hook them up).

You don't have to build the PC by yourself but you can pick the parts.

Can you help me guys. Actually I wish a better pc gaming. But saddly there is people to try to cheat the costumers. For example put as Benchmark Metal Gear The phantom pain as Ultra and I know that is a game with a excellent optimitation that even old pc can run it. So I want to think that for example Metro exudus is a Benchmark of PC gaming. For example. This PC what game can I play and what settings.?

first things first. What’s your budget?

Sentenza

Never EVER go for a laptop as your main gaming solution unless:

1 - You have a lot of disposable income and are willing to pay more to get less.
2 - Portability is an absolute must for you, even at expenses of ergonomics.

Last edited:

Suraj106

Neo Member
Encase it helps. I am no computer genius and managed quite easily to build a desktop computer from scratch by following a simple video I found online. Took a fair bit of research though.

Before I built the desktop I was purely laptop gamer for years.....I would never go back to laptop - as most are advising desktop is much better and cheaper.

I would advise spending more to get the current higher spec parts - I went this way and 3-4 years later I can still play most games on high settings.

Just thought if you are worried about building one my comment might put your mind at ease that it is not that hard.

Thabass

As mentioned above but Ill say it again.

Only get a laptop if you are going to play a lot of games on the go.

If you plan on gaming at home, get a desktop. For portability at home there are things like Steam Link and the Steam app which can fling your games to other devices, while allowing your desktop to do the actual processing.

Came to say this. I vehemently hate laptops for gaming. The only time I'll use one is when I can use NVIDIA GeForce Now for streaming games on the go with my work laptop. If you're not on the move, get a desktop.

Shai-Tan

Banned
prebuilds also aren't outrageously more expensive if you know what to look out for. it might be worth it if you don't mind leaving some money on the table but you still should check with someone who can look at the specs and tell you why it's good or bad for the price. part of the problem is not many here can tell you whether something is good value in mx dollars

Pejo

Gold Member
OP, I keep throwing around this question and keep my aging desktop struggling along to play 2019 games. I made a thread before about getting a decent gaming laptop with a TB3 port, and then getting one of the external graphics card enclosures like the Razer Core, which gives you decent gaming on the go and a notable improvement on performance when "docked". It's kinda the idea of the Nintendo Switch, but a much bigger performance boost when "docked". Anyway, when I ask this question, I always get the same answer: "just get a desktop bro".

StormCell

Thank you... Well actually because im out of my home and I rent a house. Other reason Its because I dont know how to build a pc gaming 🙈

The first time you build (and basically every time you do a new build) it feels overwhelming and a little bit scary. You should definitely take the plunge, though. It has only gotten easier. In 2003, when I did my first build, you could definitely plug stuff into the wrong places and there was no telling what could happen. But I also learned the value of a good mobo and how to read the mobo post error codes. Nowadays, you can buy a mobo that's basically ready-to-run out of the box just slap it in a case with a power supply, some RAM, and a CPU. Pretty much everything will only plug into where it's supposed to go.

Doing your first build can be as easy or as complicated as you want to make it. You don't have to buy a custom CPU cooler. You can skip worrying about thermal paste and just go with the stock stuff already on the CPU. It can be really plug'n'play and it'll do just fine. In fact, I've seen only very small benefits from my latest build with custom cooler and modest overclocking. A lot of what you will be doing is riding on the quality of your GPU, RAM, and hard disk storage. The CPU at stock speeds is usually more than sufficient.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So you're saying you would prefer a laptop because all of the components are installed at the factory and can't be altered by an unscrupulous computer shop owner/worker?

If that's the case, there are tons of pre-built gaming PCs from large manufacturers. Personally, I have a Dell Inspiron Gaming tower:

Which has the added benefit of being the only pre-built PC I've ever owned that uses standard-size components that are easily upgraded.

Fbh

As others have said, only get a laptop if portability is very important. You'll generally be getting a laptop that compared to non-gaming alternatives in the same price range is going to be much bulkier, with a big power brick, probably much worse battery life and, depending on the budget, a bunch of compromises that had to be made to put more powerful hardware without raising the price too much (so might be a crappy screen, or bad build quality, cheap materials, bad sound, etc). Not to mention that the price to performance ratio goes out of the window.

I'd say go for a desktop as you'll get something much better for your budget which will also be much easier to upgrade in the future. It might seem scary at first but it's honestly not that complicated and nowadays you can find tons of decent tutorials and guides online

DESTROYA

So you're saying you would prefer a laptop because all of the components are installed at the factory and can't be altered by an unscrupulous computer shop owner/worker?

If that's the case, there are tons of pre-built gaming PCs from large manufacturers. Personally, I have a Dell Inspiron Gaming tower:

Which has the added benefit of being the only pre-built PC I've ever owned that uses standard-size components that are easily upgraded.
That looks like a pretty good pre built desktop.
I have nothing against desktops but in my case I need it for work and home and acknowledge they offer much better bang for your buck, but the most obvious reason to buy laptops is that they are preferable to desktop computers due to their size . Laptops, by design, are smaller and more compact, so they easily portable that allows a college student or professional to get work done wherever.
As others have said, only get a laptop if portability is very important. You'll generally be getting a laptop that compared to non-gaming alternatives in the same price range is going to be much bulkier, with a big power brick, probably much worse battery life and, depending on the budget, a bunch of compromises that had to be made to put more powerful hardware without raising the price too much (so might be a crappy screen, or bad build quality, cheap materials, bad sound, etc). Not to mention that the price to performance ratio goes out of the window.

I'd say go for a desktop as you'll get something much better for your budget which will also be much easier to upgrade in the future. It might seem scary at first but it's honestly not that complicated and nowadays you can find tons of decent tutorials and guides online

Look at my suggestion above.
It has good build quality, a 144hz 3ms screen, decent speakers but people forget to mention if you get a desktop you also have to spend extra money on a decent screen, keyboard , mouse , speakers etc... those add up quickly.
To me the second most important thing you need a is a good screen or it just ruins the whole point of PC gaming and those aren’t cheap.

YES saying that building a desktop is far superior if your on a budget.

Heimdall_Xtreme

do you need a monitor? Because that’s pretty doable. I always suggest a good quality monitor since that’s what you look at the most.

1500 is a good price without a crazy expensive monitor.
Yeah I need a monitor. One basic at least in 1080p... Later is 4k xD

#Phonepunk#

Banned
for $1300 you could get a kickass laptop OR desktop. im talking top of the line graphics card, brand new motherboard, brand new CPU, etc.

my brother's laptop died a week or two ago, he went out to find a better one, ended up getting one for $200 that was still better than what he had. they are absurdly cheap.

however, you get more bang for your buck with a desktop. still, with that kind of money, you'll be able to find whatever you're looking for, no prob.

for $1300 you could get a kickass laptop OR desktop. im talking top of the line graphics card, brand new motherboard, brand new CPU, etc.

my brother's laptop died a week or two ago, he went out to find a better one, ended up getting one for $200 that was still better than what he had. they are absurdly cheap.

however, you get more bang for your buck with a desktop. still, with that kind of money, you'll be able to find whatever you're looking for, no prob.

1300? Top of the line gpu?? Nah. A 2080ti is almost that alone.

i just did a pcpartpicker based on what you said and with no monitor, OS, Storage it was well over 2k.

My current build at home with just Ram, mobo, cpu, water cooler and fans was 1100.

for 1500 it can be done but it’s not going to be this top end machine. Especially without a monitor.

because I’m oddly anal about tracking things here is a pic of my current build with the part costs.
RTXWbHn.jpg

Last edited:
Generally do not recommend laptop solely for gaming, due to following reasons:
- price to performance is poor, which means overpaying for the same performance as compared to desktop
- most are not portable, which defeats the purpose of getting a laptop

Any decent gaming laptop that doesn't sacrifice portability will cost you at least $2k, likely $3k.

OP needs to ask himself if gaming on the go is really that important, because if not, you are better off getting a desktop. And you can definitely build a good one with $1500 budget.

oagboghi2

OP, I try not to get too involved with people's purchasing decisions, honestly you are making a mistake. find a laptop for gaming is almost always a bad decision especially now with the switch they're really no reason to go that route.

A " top of the line laptop quote is the equivalent to a medium desktop PC, and sometimes even lower.

If I were you this is what I would do. I would go to Amazon or some other online website and look for PC that retails for around $400-700. Focus on a SSD hard driveand at least above 16 gigs of RAM etc etc. Also keep in mind the CPU.

from there once you get that PC also go online and look for an RTX card. A super 2060, 2070, and maybe even a 2080. you can find that at a relatively low price. Swap that RTX car with whatever is in the pre-built decks top that you bought. That should give you a strong top of the line PC that is at least 200 to 300 dollars cheaper than what you're proposing right now. Enough money to buy a switch or a cheaper gaming laptop if you really really want portability.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
As a gamer, you can't touch what the Alienware 15 R3 can do. One of the most popular brands out there, already assembled, who but Alienware?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Ok. Thank you guys for the comments. I see many reason about laptop gaming and you right so definitive I will looking for a pc. Its better and more for 1500$ that Its a lot of money. With the computers that I put before which is better and what kind of games can I used it?

DESTROYA

Perhaps a few hundred bucks or so but they really perform.
Yea really hot and loud and thermally throttle, my last AW had really bad thermals due to a very bad heat sink. The notebook forums I use show this wasn’t a single case and was pretty widespread. Maybe newer models have improved build quality but mine was horrible.
New AW models like the M15 might be better but DELL has this new thing of soldering on RAM and there is no possible way to upgrade if you want down the line, it’s bad enough most laptops use BGA CPU’s but when you have BGA RAM that shows they have no consideration for good consumer practices.

Chromata

Ok. Thank you guys for the comments. I see many reason about laptop gaming and you right so definitive I will looking for a pc. Its better and more for 1500$ that Its a lot of money. With the computers that I put before which is better and what kind of games can I used it?
I can guarantee you that the computers you put before will not run upcoming or next gen games at 60fps ultra. The GTX 1060 dips below 60fps on ultra settings for titles that are already out (ex: shadow of the tomb raider).

For the performance you want, you'll want to build a pc and get a good deal on each part to fit that $1500.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Thank you such much guys.

Well i see the pros and cons.. so i cant have a PC Gaming because i rent a House in another State and will be more difficult to move it to my house ( im 1000 km away from my home)... imagine im in Texas and my home is in New york (Distance), im In Coahuila and My home is in Mexico City.

So i decided have a Laptop gaming because im move such much.

So my options are

in perfomance which one is better?

I know that maybe i cant run in a ps5 games, but at least all games of this gen... and of course i like modern desing RGB of the laptop =)

Last edited:
With PC gaming, you either have to compromise on bulkiness, heat/noise or performance.

If you do get a laptop with great performance, bear this in mind - personally it drives me nuts when a slim high performance laptop runs hotter than the sun and sounds like a jet taking off.

Just know which one you are compromising on and that you can accept it.

DESTROYA

Thank you such much guys.

Well i see the pros and cons.. so i cant have a PC Gaming because i rent a House in another State and will be more difficult to move it to my house ( im 1000 km away from my home)... imagine im in Texas and my home is in New york (Distance), im In Coahuila and My home is in Mexico City.

So i decided have a Laptop gaming because im move such much.

So my options are

in perfomance which one is better?

I know that maybe i cant run in a ps5 games, but at least all games of this gen... and of course i like modern desing RGB of the laptop =)
A GTX 1050 is scraping bottom of the barrel , GTX 1650 is a decent step up but still nothing special .
Minimum you should be looking at is. GTX 1660ti for a good gaming experience.
Out of all those laptops I wouldn’t go for any.

Last edited:
I use a laptop for everything, but it's an Alienware with a lot of extra hardware in all its ports, I'll have to upgrade it before i can play next gen~ that said i don't see much need to at the mo'

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I'd get a $300 - 400 small and light laptop for old and indie games. And a decent rig for $1000. But that's just me though.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

If you want to play at Ultra 60fps you won't get that on a laptop, and honestly Ultra is nearly indistinguishable from High and the performance cost is not worth it. A good mix of medium and high for most games already gives you better-than console results at a better framerate, and a laptop at that price range is going to have a hard time keeping up with even that. (And since everything is overpriced in Mexico that doesn't help matters either).

Personally I would aim for 1080p, not higher, that is the factor that helps framerate the most.

Top Bottom