• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend some good TV shows

Status
Not open for further replies.
thewire.jpg

this. and when you finished all 4 seasons watch it again

Probably going to get lost among all the other replies here, but you need to watch:

Doctor Who
Babylon 5
The Lost Room

If you something that's short and totally awesome, please consider The Lost Room; it's only 6 hours long, and is easily some of the best sci-fi you'll ever watch. You can thank me later.

Famassu

Seeing as all of the usual recommendations have been posted, I'll try to recommend something a bit different:

Cougar Town

Great comedy. The first half of the first season isn't the strongest one, but if you can get past that, it turns into what I think is much, MUCH better than Friends or similar "friends hanging out, going through life" comedies. Such great chemistry between the characters and after they somewhat abandon the focus on Courtney Cox's character in the first season and start focusing on the group, it gets real good. I'm just sad it will probably not make it past the currently on-going third season.

Pollux

Ok...so I'm actually watching The Wire on HBO Go...so that's taken care of.

Watched Mad Men already.

But with Dr. Who...what do I start with? I looked on Wikipedia and the shows on the 10th Dr. Who or something. Do I start with the new season, or start at the beginning? I'm confused.

harSon

Banned
I just recently rewatched Sleeper Cell for a thesis I'm writing, and I forgot just how good that show is. It's only two seasons long and sort of ends on a cliff hanger, but it's damned good despite having some themes that I find to be problematic.

FnordChan

But with Dr. Who...what do I start with? I looked on Wikipedia and the shows on the 10th Dr. Who or something. Do I start with the new season, or start at the beginning? I'm confused.

Once more, with feeling!

FnordChan said:
Doctor Who - For New School start with "Blink" and "Human Nature"/"The Family of Blood" from Season Three. For Old School start with "Pyramids of Mars" and "City of Death".

There's also a NeoGAF thread dedicated to the question along with suggested starting points in the first post of the ongoing thread.

The short version is that there are lots of places to start watching Doctor Who, but in my opinion you do not want or need to try to watch the show all the way through from the beginning, for either the original series or the new series. All you really need to know is that The Doctor is an alien who travels through time and space in the TARDIS (a time machine shaped like a blue box), he's one of the good guys, and he generally has someone from Earth tagging along with him so he can explain the plot to them. He's also very long lived and can regenerate into a new actor - ahem, form - periodically. From there, you can pick a starting point and just jump in. There are series arcs in New Who but I personally think that for seasons 1-4 you should just skip them. Like I said, start with "Blink" from Season 3 and if you like that the other threads should help get you going.

Alternate starting method:

Season 3 (2007) - Episodes 8-10 "Human Nature"/"The Family of Blood"/"Blink"
Season 4 (2008) - Episodes 9-10 "Silence in the Library"/"Forest of the Dead"

If you like all of those, you can jump in with Season 5 (2010) and start watching the show in order from there.

FnordChan

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Terriers

Fantastic show, clever well written dialogue, and overall the best new show from 2010 that sadly ended too soon. Watch it now, its on Netflix. Seriously such a good show, that I felt a sadness when it was over, and TV depressed when I found out it got cancelled, this show is that good. I will keep recommending this show to spread the love.

Thank me later.

If you do check it out, I hope you do or anyone who hasn't seen it, i would love to hear your thoughts on it.

ivysaur12

Banned
Happy Endings - it's like Friends (which the show references)...in Chicago!

Promo clip

happy-endings-abc.jpg

Elisha Cuthbert (24), Zachary Knighton (loves V-necks), Damon Wayans Jr (his dad even shows up in one episode), Eliza Coupe, Casey Wilson, and Adam Pally (the funniest non-stereotypical gay character on TV).

Great comedic timing, situations, and chemistry (Eliza Coupe and Damon Wayans kill it as a married couple) between the cast.

Why don't more people watch this show?

We do, in the official thread. There's a good Happy-GAF community.

Watch these -

Still on air:

- Awake
- Justified
- The Good Wife
- Fringe
- Luck
- Southland
- Mad Men
- Breaking Bad
- Boardwalk Empire
- Parenthood
- Downton Abbey

- Happy Endings
- Community
- Modern Family
- Parks & Recreation
- 30 Rock
- Archer
- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
- Enlightened
- New Girl
- Louie

Can't go wrong with any of those.

Violet_0

Banned
they've all been mentioned already, but here are some of my favorite shows

Firefly
Futurama
Sherlock
Game of Thrones

The two best shows ever made are The Shield and The Wire.

I don't think either are on Netflix so instead I'll say:

The Office UK
Arrested Development
Luther
Downton Abbey
Terriers
Sherlock
Mad Men
Justified
Louie

Pachimari

The Vampire Diaries.

Though I'm only at Season 1, Episode 7. But I love everything about it so far and it's my first tv series.

This thread is good for me, as I'm looking to get some series on Blu-ray. Thinking of Mad Men.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
11L.jpg

Helga is a classic American example of a tsundere.
51TXEuCNpnL.jpg

The cover for Sliders on Netflix makes Jerry O'Connell look fat.

Jay Sosa

sheeeeit you got that in hires?

Shield
Sopranos
Wire
Buffy
Angel
Arrested C
Always Sunny C
Justified
Black Books C
Father Ted C
IT Crowd C
Archer C
Parks &Rec C
Office US (1-5) C
Dexter
GoT
Seinfeld C
CYE C
Supernatural
Trailer Park Boys C

and so many more

C=Comedy

AAequal

Banned
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
se499.gif

It only has six episodes so you won't be burning too much time on it. 80's low budget tv-show has never been so much fun.
xU2fI.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
51TXEuCNpnL.jpg

The cover for Sliders on Netflix makes Jerry O'Connell look fat.

This, that show was awesome, though I would advise you to stop after episode 17 of season 3 (title: The Exodus (Part 2)) as the show never really recovered from that one.

For those that watched the show, you guessed it probably:
But that's the one where Prof. Arturo dies of course

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
This, that show was awesome, though I would advise you to stop after episode 17 of season 3 (title: The Exodus (Part 2)) as the show never really recovered from that one.

From what I've read about the show on random sites, it sounds like the people in charge just didn't care enough to keep it going, or going well. If there's any show from the 90's that needs a remake, it's Sliders. It has easy potential to be an American equivalent of Doctor Who. Though I'd rather it be set in the same continuity than a straight reboot. Maybe old Quinn makes an appearance at some point, giving advice to the new sliders. They could even slide through some of the old realities and interact with previous characters and storylines.

Goddamn, I'm hype for Sliders
despite knowing it goes to shit
, I need to watch more. Right now I've only seen up to episode 7.

I remember only bits and pieces of this as a kid. I remember an episode where they ate fruit that tasted like whatever you wanted it to, like cheesburgers!

I remember being pissed off when they Slid (slided?) for only a minute to a world that looked JUST LIKE the one they were from, but the gate didn't squeak so they left. Turns out his Mom just had the gate fixed! SO CLOSE!

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I remember only bits and pieces of this as a kid. I remember an episode where they ate fruit that tasted like whatever you wanted it to, like cheesburgers!

I remember being pissed off when they Slid (slided?) for only a minute to a world that looked JUST LIKE the one they were from, but the gate didn't squeak so they left. Turns out his Mom just had the gate fixed! SO CLOSE!

Kind of like that episode of Gilligan's Island where the boat they were building to escape the island exploded because Gilligan put too much gas in the tank, and the fumes were ignited when some coconuts fell onto the deck
I've never actually seen a full episode of Gilligan's Island

Best underrated show airing right now:

png image hosting

I watched that when it was on NBC, wasn't bad. Shame they bailed on it, but it was probably too good for them anyway. Didn't follow it on TNT because I only have 4 channels, and may watch it in the future if I feel like watching a crime procedural.

250px-Clone_High_Cast_Promo.jpg

Clone High. One of the funniest animated shows ever made, with witty dialogue and fantastic art. So bummed they never got a second season. Go watch it, it's worth it.

Jay Sosa

I'm truly ashamed I forgot one of the funniest (and most akward) comedies ever:

Peep Show it's a UK comedy shot POV style, very unique and very funny.

Peep Show E1 P1

Also Coupling: The first 4 (well until that weird dude lefts) seasons are hilarious.

Pachimari

Am i right when I say shows like Prison Break have like season 5 on Bl-ray but not season 1? Some shows have the latter seasons on Blu-ray but not the first?

Anyway, I have had The Vampire Diaries season 1 and 2 for a while and just bought The Walking Dead season 1 and ordered Boardwalk Empire season 1? Anything else I need on Blu-ray? I'll order the Mad Men 1-4 box and True Blood season 1 as well. What kind of show is Breaking Bad, is it regarded as one of the better ones?

Pachimari

But I just see a lot of shows where the latter seasons are out but not the first ones, like CSI and Prison Break, at least here in Denmark.

I'm gonna check out Breaking Bad and I'm interested in the Lost box too.

Terriers, Sherlock, Arrested development, and Luther are all pretty good and on Netflix.

Not on Netflix but are the best of the bunch are:
The Wire
The Shield
Rome
Eastbound and Down
Boardwalk Empire
Deadwood

Bladenic

MAD MEN
Weeds
Community
Parks and Recreation
New Girl
Friends
That 70s Show (not the last few seasons though)
Archer

That's probably enough for now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom