• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend some movies about the World War 2 time period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
How to sell a movie in a single frame. I didn't know this existed and now I'm intrigued.

I loved Escape to Victory when I was a child. Bobby Moore and Pele doing magic against the nazis was awesome

movie's total cheese tho

I would also cite Conspiracy

conspiracy_splash.jpg

superb tv movie with a stellar cast (Branagh, Tucci, Firth and many more great British actors...you can also spot Alliser Thorne in the picture) about the Wannsee Conferencewhere the Nazis planned the Final Solution. Movie's cold blooded as hell and makes you truly loathe the geometrical and practical angle these men approached such a inhuman argument

As an alternative to a straight-out fighting WW II film, I would recommend A Matter of Life and Death (1946).

It's about a British WW II pilot (David Niven) who has a brief conversation with an American radio operator (Kim Hunter) as he is about to crash in his badly-damaged plane. It's more a romantic fantasy with the war as a backdrop to the story. It has a fantastic visual style to it and great characters.

andycapps

There's a lot.

Older movies:

The Great Escape
Bridge on the River Kwai
Tora! Tora! Tora
The Longest Day
Patton
Battle of the Bulge

Newer:
Fury
Enemy at the Gates
Saving Private Ryan
The Thin Red Line

The Guns of Navarone

The book and the film share the same basic plot: the efforts of an Allied commando team to destroy a seemingly impregnable German fortress that threatens Allied naval ships in the Aegean Sea, and prevents 2,000 isolated British troops from being rescued.

spoiler : it's fucking great

Edit : it's already there haha but its good

Oh, another moving one

Au revoir les enfants (Goodbye, children)

An autobiographical 1987 film written, produced and directed by Louis Malle. The screenplay was published by Gallimard in the same year. The film won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival.

I added some that came to me. Correct me if I am wrong on any of them.
Windtalkers
The Railway Man
Red Tails
Bon Voyage
The Grey Zone
U-571
Memphis Belle
The English Patient
Glorious 39
Captain America (don't hate me)
Jacob the Liar (again, don't hate me)
Swing Kids
A Bridge too Far
Captain Corelli's Mandolin

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I compiled all the titles listed so far into the OP. Lots of older movies mentioned.

It's The Best Years of our Lives

I added some that came to me. Correct me if I am wrong on any of them.
Windtalkers
The Railway Man
Red Tails
Bon Voyage
The Grey Zone
U-571
Memphis Belle
The English Patient
Glorious 39
Captain America (don't hate me)
Jacob the Liar (again, don't hate me)
Swing Kids
A Bridge too Far
Captain Corelli's Mandolin

You could also add:

Life is Beautiful
Napola (Before the Fall) - a German movie
From Here to Eternity
South Pacific (if you want a musical)
No Time for Sergeants (another comedy, which includes this scene)

Added the years to the titles. Lots of movies around the early 2000's. I guess that's the Saving Private Ryan effect that we have to thank for that.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Added the years to the titles. Lots of movies around the early 2000's. I guess that's the Saving Private Ryan effect that we have to thank for that.

There's also quite a few during the war and immediately after.

Some more that I thought of:

I Was a Male War Bride (comedy)
Mrs. Miniver
Diary of Anne Frank
Mr. Roberts

Yes, I like old movies. Please stop me.

There was a drama in the late 80s or early 90s about a spy in Germany during WWII...does anybody know what movie I'm talking about?

edit: Shining Through

bwahhhhh

I see they were already suggested, but another vote for Bridge on the River Kwai (one of my favorite films, period) and The Pianist.

edit: throwing in Letters from Iwo Jima and Memphis Belle

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
My favorites have already been mentioned. One that isn't in the OP that's fun is Where Eagles Dare.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Band of Brothers is the best, but it's a mini-series and not a film. Still, I'd watch that over 5 separate stand alone WW2 movies. Pacific as well.

Das Boot was also a mini-series originally.

bwahhhhh

there's also an english subtitled Criterion Collection of Andrzej Wajda's three war films: Kanal, A Generation, and Ashes and Diamonds, they give a unique Polish perspective

also, Defiance was a not-bad not-great WW2 movie with Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom