• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recording Console Games in 1080p advice / suggestions for hardware

578057_435708529835262_1883337312_n.jpg

images-5.jpg

images-2.jpg

if you can wait for that it looks like it can be a contender it's by avermedia

more details here

http://gamerzone.avermedia.com/products/live_gamer_series/live_gamer_portable/

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
What exact items do you need to get around this and record HDMI 720p/1080p PS3 footage?
If you just need to strip HDCP, look for a device called HDMI2HDMI + Audio. I bought this one a couple weeks ago and it works great for my needs. Be aware that the audio output on the HDMI port seems to be fucked (I get regular "popping" noises about once per second), but the dedicated audio jack is fine.

This is way more convenient than DVI conversions, imo.

Ideally I want to record uncompressed/raw footage, 1:1 with what's on the screen. But it is to my understanding you need to have an above average desktop PC with internal hardware (BlackMagic, etc) equipped to do this, correct? This is why I went for the Elgato, which seems to be the best of the external USB devices.
You are not going to get uncompressed, HD, 60fps footage from a USB 2.0 device. USB2 is simply not fast enough, period. You need either an internal card or USB 3.0, and you have to make sure that the device DOES NOT have always-on hardware-based H.264 encoding. I told you this a few weeks ago.

FWIW, you don't generally need "above average" hardware for the most part either, depending on what you want to do with it anyway. If you simply want to record uncompressed HD footage, you'd need a fast, high-capacity hard drive, but you wouldn't necessarily need a beefy CPU unless you also wanted to compress/stream on the fly or something. And if you're compressing the footage as it records, then you don't necessarily need a dedicated hard drive. One or the other, basically.

is there any that bypasses hdcp (single kit)? i feel next consoles may have always on hdcp
See above. And if you weren't already aware, the Xbox 360 and Wii U do not have HDCP.

Zezboob

For those using an Avermedia Live Gamer HD, when capturing Xbox360, don't you have trouble with the image brightness ?

On dark scenes my videos are always way too dark, but seem OK on bright scenes.

Is there any trick or I need to post process all my videos to correct that ?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
For those using an Avermedia Live Gamer HD, when capturing Xbox360, don't you have trouble with the image brightness ?

On dark scenes my videos are always way too dark, but seem OK on bright scenes.

Is there any trick or I need to post process all my videos to correct that ?

Check the color space in the Display settings. I was having the same issue when using RGB but since using Ycbcr709 it gives a better picture and not all the colors look over done.

This can be a problem with various devices not just the Avermedia kits.

Zezboob

Thank you.

And yes, I tried it yesterday and it's definitely better, but still a bit dark.

Too bad that consoles don't have some advanced display settings. :(

About recording footage/gameplay from smartphones...

I assume all you need is a Micro HDMI-HDMI cable? And you can then route it to something like Elgato?

I read earlier where someone briefly mentioned you'd need an HDMI out, but as far as I can tell there are little to none with HDMI ports. Just the usual port you use for USB charge cables which I assume can also be used for Micro HDMI.

Are you replying to my question about how to record on smartphones? That is the device needed?

If not, I'm not sure what that device really offers as opposed to the current USB devices like Elgato. I can't imagine a portable and convenient solution like that would have better output quality/bitrate/etc either. Don't give in to fancy advertisements. Looks nice for convenience if you just plug in the console's HDMI and press record on the device and it puts the file on an SD with no PC needing to be on. Again, quality and all though. I'd have to compare.

About recording footage/gameplay from smartphones...

I assume all you need is a Micro HDMI-HDMI cable? And you can then route it to something like Elgato?

I read earlier where someone briefly mentioned you'd need an HDMI out, but as far as I can tell there are little to none with HDMI ports. Just the usual port you use for USB charge cables which I assume can also be used for Micro HDMI.
Depends on the phone / tablet. You may have to deal with HDCP.

I wasn't clear on the HDCP for the PS3. I know it is present on 1080p HDMI, is it also present on 720p HDMI?

I'm interested in using a black magic pro USB 3.0 to serve as a video in for my laptop, not interested in recording the video itself. Lag should be minimal in this case, right?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I wasn't clear on the HDCP for the PS3. I know it is present on 1080p HDMI, is it also present on 720p HDMI?
HDCP will be a factor regardless of resolution.

I'm interested in using a black magic pro USB 3.0 to serve as a video in for my laptop, not interested in recording the video itself. Lag should be minimal in this case, right?
Probably depends mostly on the software you use to view the video. IIRC, the lag is decent for that device, but I haven't done any exact measurements.

Zezboob

Sorry for the bump, but I think that may be the appropriate thread.

Do anyone has a solution to use 5.1 on the receiver and capture at the same time ?

I use a Live Gamer Portable, but it doesn't accept 5.1 as input, so I was thinking about a device that allow HDMI passthrough and would downmix 5.1 to stereo, outputting the sound via some jack or whatever.

Any suggestion for this problem ?

Top Bottom