• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RED ASH Kickstarter crashes n burns (Comcept/Inafune/Hyde making Mega Man Legends 3)

Akainu

I think I read in this thread that there is already a game and this kick starter is for prequel stuff is that right? The rumor?

J-Spot

Amazing. The platform that everyone knew would win ended up winning and they only wasted three weeks with this silly poll. I'll give them some credit for not going through with their original plan to hold the "real" survey after the kickstarter ends. Now they need to get some gaming sites to publicize this for them.

DrArchon

Why the hell would you announce that it's gonna be on PS4 10 days before the kickstarter ends? You needed to do this all before starting all of this!

Comparing Red Ash to Bloodstained/Shenmue 3/Etc. is just amazing. It's so hard to believe that it's been this mismanaged from the get-go. I really wanted this to hit it off big, but I can't justify giving any significant money if it's not guaranteed to hit most of those stretch goals and be a bigger game.

Good luck to Inafune and crew I guess.

RK128

So they finally announced that the PS4 is the first console port of the game :D!

Good, as now there is a reason for more people to back the game (as it will be coming to the console they own). Its a shame Wii U and X1 owners aren't getting console ports, but I'm sure those platforms are the next wave of systems this will land on......at least the full game they are promising unique from the Kickstarter.

I am wondering how this news will boost the Kickstarter; if the game gets to 600,000-700,000 by tomorrow night, then this port announcement will go a very long way into getting the game funded :).

DeSolos

I hope they realize that the failure is in the Kickstarter campaign, and not the idea of a MML reboot.

At the very least I hope someone capable of producing a game like this sees there is still an opportunity.

I think I read in this thread that there is already a game and this kick starter is for prequel stuff is that right? The rumor?

I'll save this post as yet another example showing that one of the biggest problems with this campaign is their confusing (and obviously intentional) doublespeak.

All over their campaign you'll see their promise that the full game is being made and if you pledge enough to the prologue campaign you'll get the full game for free. But that's not exactly true because that full game getting made depends on whether they can secure a publisher... and they don't want to give up the rights to their IP which is going to make it even more difficult to find a willing publisher.

So no, there isn't "already a game" because they don't know how they're going to pay for it. But they'll gladly sell it to you in the prologue reward tiers. Does that make sense? No? Okay, good.

This is the last hope for this kickstarter.

If the PS4 announcement doesn't get this funded, there aren't any more rabbits to pull out of the hat with only ten days left.

Even if it does get it funded, is the bare minimum what anyone actually wanted? What a horribly mismanaged kickstarter.

hawk2025

Much ado about nothing.

Instead of rallying the community and focusing on starting with a PS4 port (or Xbox port, or Wii U port, whatever was their main idea based on their own research -- but everyone already knew what the poll would actually say), they lost a ton of people and momentum with the inexplicable uncertainty and double speak, all to reach the exact same conclusion after yet another inexplicable one-day-only promotional period for a yet-unannounced, also inexplicable "full game".

All goodwill is already lost. I don't trust them with my money anymore.

hawk2025

PS4 won?

itsfuckingnothing.jpg

No, it's worse than nothing. They wasted so much time for that nothing.

They wasted 14 days, all momentum, and all console goodwill on... nothing. With a shitty one-day-only promotion along the way, before people could know which console it would be.

How the fuck is anyone going to know about the PS4 version anyways, no one is talking about the game.

Hell, even here in GAF unless someone makes a thread about it no one will know.

It was a given PS4 would win. Question was: by how much? Apparently more than WiiU and XB1 combined.

What a waste of time that poll was....

How the fuck is anyone going to know about the PS4 version anyways, no one is talking about the game.

Hell, even here in GAF unless someone makes a thread about it no one will know.
So can someone do a thread? I think that the news that it's coming to Ps4 as a stretch goal is thread worthy.

this is gonna fail or basically reach the minimum goal during the last day.

Which is basically failure. Everything about the KS screams the expectation was that the game would have been at least double, if not more than double, the base goal within at most the first week. This KS just passing the base goal is worse than if they didn't hit the base funding level.

zashga

This really reminds me of the Shadow of the Eternals kickstarters:

1. Dedicated fans wishing for a sequel for years
  2. A dodgy campaign asking for a large amount of money to fund a "prologue" only
  3. Weird cross-media aspirations before the brand is even established/successful
  4. Concurrent crowd funding efforts (this time, it's another kickstarter for an anime adaptation)
  5. Tepid response from fans, possibly due to the original games never actually being very popular

I realize that I am indirectly comparing Inafune to Dyack, and for that I am sorry.

OmegaX

I realize that I am indirectly comparing Inafune to Dyack, and for that I am sorry.

Why would you be sorry? I think the comparison is deserved.

Edit: Dyack at least presented early alpha footage of Shadow of the Eternals so if anything, that KS was better than this one.

junpei

so I have been thinking that the fans should start doing some damage control campaign . this KS needs to fail but we need inafune need to know the reason why . something tells me that when this thing fails that inafnue is going to chalk it up to something other than himself .

I think that we should pull our pledge money because if this get close to the goal then comcept will get some corporate group to fill the gap . there need to be some sort of way to get the message to inafune that the reason we didn't back him is because he is shady .

ArjanN

Why would you be sorry? I think the comparison is deserved.

Edit: Dyack at least presented early alpha footage of Shadow of the Eternals so if anything, that KS was better than this one.

..Uh huh.

so I have been thinking that the fans should start doing some damage control campaign . this KS needs to fail but we need inafune need to know the reason why . something tells me that when this thing fails that inafnue is going to chalk it up to something other than himself .

I think that we should pull our pledge money because if this get close to the goal then comcept will get some corporate group to fill the gap . there need to be some sort of way to get the message to inafune that the reason we didn't back him is because he is shady .

The only conclusion anyone will draw from this kickstarter failing is that there is not a lot of demand for a Mega Man Legends type game.

MarkusRJR

Well, I kind of knew it would happen. As an Xbox One and Wii U owner this kind of sucks. They should have just announced the platforms from the beginning instead of weasel people without PS4's into backing it. One of the worst put together big name kickstarters I've seen.

junpei

..Uh huh.

The only conclusion anyone will draw from this kickstarter failing is that there is not a lot of demand for a Mega Man Legends type game.

That is the problem. If they ran the KS right then it would have reach its goal and then some . the actual fans are there and if they show some gameplay during the pitch then it would have made some new fans. I think that an anime third person shooter should have no problem getting funded via ks .

Yep. If this fails, it will pretty much be the funeral to the Legends series for good.

I actually still haven't donated, since I'm waiting to tally my expenses for the month and dumping my entire month's entertainment budget into the KS, but it will pretty much stand as the final shred I care for the future of Legends. After this it'll be time to just let it go, and let the original games live on as happy, inspirational memories. Anything else will just be too painful. I'll probably change my avatar too. Sometimes I wish I was a fan of a different franchise that is actually popular enough to get consistent quality releases. Being a Legends/Shenmue/Sonic fan this last decade is nothing short of masochistic.

The Kickstarter crowd for this game has too much crossover from Mighty No 9 and with that game having so much drama apparently, the only hope for this Kickstarter would have been Mighty No 9 being released to great reception. Somehow the day that a console is announced is the day that is looking to be the least funded day. They pulled in $200,000 in their first two days. Since then they haven't put out updates that have made people happy. The days since have been largely pessimistic. I doubt the last couple days will have a big enough push to even match the $200,000; they'll probably need $300,000 plus some for any console backers that pull out anticipating the initial goal succeeding but not the console stretch goal.

This really reminds me of the Shadow of the Eternals kickstarters:

[*]Tepid response from fans, possibly due to the original games never actually being very popular
[/list]

I didn't realize that project was so similar, I wasn't big into Kickstarter back then. I agree that the original games never actually being very popular and I still believe that's the root problem for Red Ash. There are tons of good franchises that don't have enough fans to support a sequel (or even the original in some cases).

Sometimes I wish I was a fan of a different franchise that is actually popular enough to get consistent quality releases. Being a Legends/Shenmue/Sonic fan this last decade is nothing short of masochistic.

I find that a lot of people who enjoy dead game franchises usually have a very good taste in games. If TV and movies have taught me anything, it's that just because it could be rebooted doesn't mean it should. Sometimes it's better to just rewatch/replay the classics and let them be.

And be happy, Shenmue 3 got funded!

Top Bottom