• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 delayed to Spring 2018 [Up: April 2018 at the earliest]

Delayed to see if they can make a Switch version? Maybe.. ;)

9fc1eca431c1373b49a05ac6843da3af--red-dead-redemption-videogame-art.jpg

rdr2-switch.jpg
Kill this mock with fire.

RDR2 will not release on the switch for at least a year after release. They want people to double dip and what better way than to release it on the switch at a later date.

Lol at a switch version.

If we see a Switch GTAV I'd start getting my hopes up.

And of course you got these youtubers with their clickbait videos claiming the game is in trouble because they didn't deliver on their "more updates after summer" promise. We're talking about Rockstar here and they always do whatever they want.

People went nuts when GTA 5 was announced and for months we didn't hear a thing, people got mad and what not at them but when a new screenshot appeared or some info all was forgiven. And Rockstar knows that. If we don't get any updates for the rest of the month and neither October.... yeah then we can start to worry.

Simo

Fans just get hung up on everything especially when all they're craving is new info and need some kind of date, timeline or whatever to cling to.

"Oh Rockstar said they'll be excited to share more in the summer? Well that means they have until September 21st or else!"
Now comes the inevitable "Oh those pesky liars! GTAO has ruined everything! No single player for RDR2 now! Click bait videos, Rockstar lied to us about promised summer news so it must be delayed again!"

I personally would expect something by the end of October just because it'll be a year since the announcement and it falls right before a quarterly investors call for Take Two. But I'll take a GI cover story in 2 weeks if it happens..

GlamFM

Banned
Fans just get hung up on everything especially when all they're craving is new info and need some kind of date, timeline or whatever to cling to.

"Oh Rockstar said they'll be excited to share more in the summer? Well that means they have until September 21st or else!"

Yep. People just keep making the same mistake over and over again.

It's Rockstar at the end of the day. Until a game gets a specific date, you're really better off forgetting that it even exists. Because until then media and info is going to be sparse.

UrbanRats

Here is something neat I came across on FaceBook this morning :p

cQd8Z4A.jpg

You could argue the GTAV release on Ps4/Xbone/PC was sort of something, since it was more than a simple port, but yeah...

Oh and 2009 also had the GTAIV DLC, which was some of the best content they had ever produced (Ballad of Gay Tony was, at least.)

Truant

Eh, they are a business and they're obligated to pay their employees and shareholders. It fucking sucks, I agree, but if I found a way to print money with little effort I would. I also think making games is way more time consuming for them now that the standards are so high, and everything is in HD or 4k.

Besides, I very much doubt the Housers are done creating big single player experiences.

This is sad.

With this in mind it definitely is possible that if it hadn't been for GTAO and the microtransactions we might have had three or four Rockstar games on Xbox One and PS4 by now. Nothing is certain about that of course but perfectly possible.

Really fucking sad.

Don't even want to think about how long we'll have to wait for their second current gen game after RDR2 finally sees the light of day.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I thought this thread was about another delay lol but it's the same old one. I wouldn't be surprised if the game got delayed again though.

I'm not even paying much attention to the game because Rockstar suck when it comes to announcing games. Can't believe it's been a year since they announced it and still next to nothing.

GlamFM

Banned
i doubt that it was completely one sided, but everyone certainly fucked up a very good relationship that helped bring tons of great games to the market.

Yeah. All we´ve have seen are the legal documents from Leslie´s lawyers.

By nature they will favor one party.

We´ll probably never know.

We also probably should not care.

Cause it´s non of our business.

Here is something neat I came across on FaceBook this morning :p

cQd8Z4A.jpg

TBH, attributing this to MTs alone is misleading. 2013 saw the beginning of a new console generation, which would have a marked impact on the resourcing requirements for new game projects (especially with the scope and depth of traditional R* games).

Where in 2009 their multiple studios were probably each working on their own respective games, in 2017, they're probably all mostly working on RDR2, with a small team prototyping for GTAVI, and another team producing the GTA V: Online content expansions (which have all also been inexplicably omitted from this graphic).

I know we all hate MTs, but lets at least try to gain a pragmatic and intellectually honest understanding of the development situation at Rockstar Games.

GlamFM

Banned
TBH, attributing this to MTs alone is misleading. 2013 saw the beginning of a new console generation, which would have a marked impact on the resourcing requirements for new game projects (especially with the scope and depth of traditional R* games).

Where in 2009 their multiple studios were probably each working on their own respective games, in 2017, they're probably all mostly working on RDR2, with a small team prototyping for GTAVI, and another team producing the GTA V: Online content expansions (which have all also been inexplicably omitted from this graphic).

I know we all hate MTs, but lets at least try to gain a pragmatic and intellectually honest understanding of the development situation at Rockstar Games.

Sure, but it´s also fair to say that without MTs we probably would have seen 2 big expansions for GTA V in 2014 and 2015.

Fluloco

Sure, but it´s also fair to say that without MTs we probably would have seen 2 big expansions for GTA V in 2014 and 2015.

Agreed.

Also, Rockstar has like 9 subsidaries. Maybe it's not Ubisoft level, but I'm 100% sure that they would be able to put like three of those to do a smaller game (a Max Payne, a Bully, a fucking Table Tennis), that may not need a super detailed open world like GTA or RDR.

dex3108

They officially said that we can expect news about Story DLC multiple times

And later this year, look for even more additions to both Grand Theft Auto Online and Grand Theft Auto V, including more holiday-themed updates, some very exciting Story Mode DLC and much more.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52217/Grand-Theft-Auto-Online-Spring-Updates

GTAV Story Mode Updates. For those ready to jump back into the story of Grand Theft Auto V, we have big plans for substantial additions in 2014 continuing Michael, Franklin and Trevor's action, mayhem and unexpected adventures in Southern San Andreas.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...ine-Update-Free-Deathmatch-Race-Creators-this

And then they just continued to pump Online DLCs while Take2 was bragging about how much GTA Online makes. You really don't need to know that much to put 2 and 2 really.

They officially said that we can expect news about Story DLC multiple times

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52217/Grand-Theft-Auto-Online-Spring-Updates

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...ine-Update-Free-Deathmatch-Race-Creators-this

And then they just continued to pump Online DLCs while Take2 was bragging about how much GTA Online makes. You really don't need to know that much to put 2 and 2 really.

You're looking at things as an outsider. Unless Rockstar have clearly stated in an official announcement why the promised Story DLC hasn't materialized then you cannot treat your assumptions about the reason for this as fact without further information.

We also know that RDR2 was announced recently. It's equally as possible that the team that was supposed to work on GTAV story DLC was moved off to work on RDR2.

Putting "2 and 2 together" is always a bad idea, as five times out of ten your assumptions you're basing your narrative on are wrong.

You're looking at things as an outsider. Unless Rockstar have clearly stated in an official announcement why the promised Story DLC hasn't materialized then you cannot treat your assumptions about the reason for this as fact without further information.

We also know that RDR2 was announced recently. It's equally as possible that the team that was supposed to work on GTAV story DLC was moved off to work on RDR2.

Putting "2 and 2 together" is always a bad idea, as five times out of ten your assumptions you're basing your narrative on are wrong.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/09/10/how-gta-online-has-changed-rockstar-north

Top Bottom