• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Whether the Plinkett character makes a good point or not, its pretty inane to try to cite the (comedy) review as some kind of law instead of coming up with a single original thought. Particularly given that the Generations review in question is pretty nitpicky ("why does the glass shatter, the show said its transparent metal"). It's hard to argue in favor of the Star Wars prequels, but the Star Trek one is a lot more debatable.

The thing in Generations that always bugged me the most is when he leaves the Nexus at the end. Plinkett points out how it makes no sense at all to go to Viridian 3 with Kirk just to punch Sauron. It really doesn't make any sense though not to just go back and stop him long before he's even close to succeeding in his goal. Plus, if he can pull Kirk out, why not do that in such a way that it doesn't result in Kirk dying for no good reason?

About TASM, I agree with everything they said about the tonal inconsistencies and especially the horrible weakness of Peter in the movie. He's stupid, many of his stammering scenes with Gwen are just unbearable to watch, and he's just generally poorly characterized in every way. However, I don't blame this on Garfield. He's a good actor, and he has some really good moments while in the Spidey suit and while he's learning his powers, so I blame it more on the writer/director's vision of what Peter is supposed to be like in certain situations. The only time in the whole movie I actually liked Peter was when he grabbed Gwen for the kiss after she was walking away. That was smooth and well executed. Otherwise, he was cringe-inducing, boring, and schizophrenic as a character.

Fjordson

I'm so late to the party with this, but I'd literally never heard of Red Letter Media until seeing this thread like 2 hours ago. The Plinkett review for Episode I is fucking gold. Just sat here and watched the entire thing. On to episode II!

rezuth

I'm so late to the party with this, but I'd literally never heard of Red Letter Media until seeing this thread like 2 hours ago. The Plinkett review for Episode I is fucking gold. Just sat here and watched the entire thing. On to episode II!

Watch the Cop Dog review.

hachi

Banned

Aw man, you have so many hours of pure gold ahead of you.

Has anyone else encountered the phenomenon of people who have seen Plinkett reviews of movies and now literally cannot perceive anything good about the movie in any way simply because they saw nothing but negative things in a Plinkett review?

I had a very weird conversation with a guy about Star Trek: Generations with a guy who literally hated every single thing about the movie and his entire argument was just a series of quotes from the Plinkett review. It's not the first time that's happened either, although that's the first time it was with a person I know personally.
Yup. Glad I have a friend who's also really into RLM but it's pretty annoying sometimes when after seeing a film (such as Captain America for instance, which unlike HitB I very much enjoyed) hearing him give word for word the same opinion Mike and Jay had on it. Just because you like them doesn't mean you have to parrot their opinion.

Also surprised they cut into Amazing Spider-Man as much as they did since I felt the general consensus online was that it was on the same level as the original film, though I guess that's not saying much.

Eidan

Yup. Glad I have a friend who's also really into RLM but it's pretty annoying sometimes when after seeing a film (such as Captain America for instance, which unlike HitB I very much enjoyed) hearing him give word for word the same opinion Mike and Jay had on it. Just because you like them doesn't mean you have to parrot their opinion.

Also surprised they cut into Amazing Spider-Man as much as they did since I felt the general consensus online was that it was on the same level as the original film, though I guess that's not saying much.

I think a lot of the vitriol came from a devotion to Sam Raimi. Considering their own low-budget film making background, it's not surprising. Hell, they pretty much admit that a lot of their problem with the movie stemmed from the movie studio politics that led to its creation, i.e. Sony giving Raimi a hard time on Spider-Man 3.

Gui_PT

It just seems people have pretty low standards nowadays.
Captain America was an ok movie with lots of stupid stuff in it but people liked it, for some reason.
Prometheus was awful but many people loved it.

It's a matter of opinion, of course, but I think people should be more demanding about the quality of the movies they pay to watch.

A lot of their "opinions" are based in logic and basic concepts of storytelling. Its hard to see them as "opinions" and thus hard to disagree with.

A lot of their "opinions" are based in logic and basic concepts of storytelling. Its hard to see them as "opinions" and thus hard to disagree with.
Yes, but when your friend just so happens to have the exact same issues they had with a film, every time you see a film they've reviewed and they've self-admittedly watched the review of the film before watching it, it's all pretty suspect what mindset they went in with.

I'm not disputing HitB's analysis or trying to downplay what they have to say (obviously I'm a fan), but it'd be the same as watching a film and having someone afterwards basically recite a Roger Ebert review as their own thoughts on the film.

Gui_PT

Yes, but when your friend just so happens to have the exact same issues they had with a film, every time you see a film they've reviewed and they've self-admittedly watched the review of the film before watching it, it's all pretty suspect what mindset they went in with.

I'm not disputing HitB's analysis or trying to downplay what they have to say (obviously I'm a fan), but it'd be the same as watching a film and having someone afterwards basically recite a Roger Ebert review as their own thoughts on the film.

This happened to me with Prometheus. Difference is, I only saw their review after watching the movie. I had exact the same complaints they had.

As Teh Hamburglar said, when they complain about facts, it's easy to agree and have the same issues with the movie.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I love them but they are overly hard on movies, even though I usually agree with their criticisms.
They sure went easy on Moonrise Kingdom. Then again, that didn't feel like a full review, just a quickie.

Fjordson

Just watched all three Star Wars reviews and his Indiana Jones review. Plinkett is genius! Really funny stuff. Especially the behind the scenes footage and interview clips of George Lucas that he chooses. Lmfao, Lucas gets absolutely roasted over and over again.

Are the reviews that he teases at the end of the Indiana Jones one actually in the works? I would love to see him take on the Matrix trilogy.

Just watched all three Star Wars reviews and his Indiana Jones review. Plinkett is genius! Really funny stuff. Especially the behind the scenes footage and interview clips of George Lucas that he chooses. Lmfao, Lucas gets absolutely roasted over and over again.

Are the reviews that he teases at the end of the Indiana Jones one actually in the works? I would love to see him take on the Matrix trilogy.

By doing stuff like Baby's Day Out he's shown that he likes to play with his viewers, so as for actually doing those reviews... maybe, maybe not.

Cheerilee

By doing stuff like Baby's Day Out he's shown that he likes to play with his viewers, so as for actually doing those reviews... maybe, maybe not.

He released this one teaser vid where he said straight-up that he was going to review Twilight. Then in the same video he said he was going to review Cop Dog. Then he hinted that he was going to review Star Trek. It was Star Trek that he reviewed. The first two were lies.

Then he went and reviewed Cop Dog.

He drops hints all over the place, and you can't expect him to review everything he's hinted at (although he should, eventually, because they're all good ideas), but when he reviews something, it's likely that he dropped a hint for it somewhere, probably recently (unless he changes his MO).

His most recent teasing is here:
http://redlettermedia.com/rise-of-the-plinkett-ad/

Dog Gone
Lord of the Rings 1
Matrix 2
Batman Begins
Karate Dog
Spiderman 3
Pluto Nash
Titanic
The Accused
The Room
Quigley
Star Trek 5

Then a blurry mess of things you can't make out (at least one was Titanic), and then a Bruce Lee and Cars 2 reference.

To some degree, sure but they are just straight up opinions. Would you agree that Ghost Rider2 and Battleship were actually fun movies that you'd recommend? As fact?

To some degree, sure but they are just straight up opinions. Would you agree that Ghost Rider2 and Battleship were actually fun movies that you'd recommend? As fact?

Ghost Rider 2 was some fucking ridiculous shit. I don't know about Battleship, but my friends and I thought Ghost Rider 2 was enjoyable.

Yes

ieIcFmW11Jbjq.gif

UrbanRats

I wish i was you right now.
Watch all plinkett's reviews, especially Star Wars' and Avatar's.
Then watch Half in the Bag, which is also very good.

UrbanRats

I hope
despite what the ending indicated
that Rich will become a permanent member of the show. 3 people discussing a movie feels better than just 2.

But this way they (occasionally) have a 3rd guest, like in the People vs George Lucas one, or in the "what's you numbers" one.
Also Rich Evans doesn't seem to be much into cinema aside from comic book stuff.

I had a roommate in college who wanted desperately to be a film critic. He'd go see a movie for the student paper, tell me one opinion, then read Ebert's review and parrot whatever Ebert thought in the student newspaper. So bad.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Now I have to see the Ghost Rider 2 review.
They actually didn't mind it. It helped that they worship Crank, though.

LTTP on the Spiderman review. Literally lol'ed at the cunst. In fact, I'm again laughing at it typing this while it came back to my mind.
I thought the consensus on Spiderman was pretty positive, so I'm surprised. The whole rebooting business really is ridiculous though.

Trigger

This is... amazing. And so right. Eventually people will stop seeing these things if they keep rebooting them. And I don't feel Spider-Man will ever be the same without J. K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jamison. No one will ever play him better.

They should just rehire him for ASM2.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Out of morbid curiosity, I watched jack and Jill since it was on Starz...

I promptly watched the review after to make myself feel better.

Out of morbid curiosity, I watched jack and Jill since it was on Starz...

I promptly watched the review after to make myself feel better.

I forced my brother to watch it not long ago, the thing that broke me was how lazy the car rides were filmed.
Stationary camera on side walk tuning to keep car in shot, then nothing but the same 3 angle of the interior (one wide and one each for the passengers ).

It was the exact way sitcoms do those types of scenes, but they don't have years of development for just 90 minutes and they don't have 70 million dollars.

I'm proud that I made it all the way through, it was honestly worse then the Curse of the Bigfoot... but I made it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hahaha, especially considering most of the stuff they mentioned is the jokes from Adam Sandlers' latest movie.

UrbanRats

Came here to post that video. I feel like thats threadworthy (I'm just a junior or I wold :/)

Leave it to Mike and Jay to point out the double standards with this whole Daniel Tosh rape thing.

I don't think so, it would end up with the same argument we've had in the Tosh discussion itself.

Top Bottom