• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Gui_PT

People have to watch it before saying if there are spoilers

BUT

They usually respect spoilers and let us know when they're talking about them.

Edit: If you want to watch the movie without knowing anything at all, i've heard minor spoilers already.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
There was no spoilers except the marked ones (at the end, they say SPOILER before it, but it doesn't end at 28:55 like they say, it goes till the end).

One thing they mention is The Importance of John Williams youtube vids. I never saw them before, but just did now. Holy shit that's good. New-thread worthy.

edit: Don't read the comments, spoilers.

Davey Cakes

I enjoyed their review and left some thoughts in the comment section.

It's awesome how these guys don't always fall for backlash. Mike's view that the emotional core is more important than the logic (in a movie like this, anyway) is refreshing after reading so much negativity on the internet from people who can't get over technical inconsistencies and the use of coincidences.

And THANK YOU Mike and Jay for acknowledging that The Avengers and TDKR are different sorts of movies that are going for different things.

Davey Cakes

Can't watch it until I get home later this week. It sounds like they enjoyed it?
Yeah, they both seemed pleased with it. The review was basically all positive, with some notes about the movie's potential issues. Jay liked it way more than he thought he would.

I love how they used this review to shit on The Amazing Spider Man some more.

Yeah, they both seemed pleased with it. The review was basically all positive, with some notes about the movie's potential issues. Jay liked it way more than he thought he would.

I love how they used this review to shit on The Amazing Spider Man some more.
Ha, they shit on TAS some more in this one? Now I really can't wait to watch it, that movie deserves beatings for years and years to come.

This is one of the reviews that I've really agreed with them on lately. Some of the ones from this summer, eh, not exactly on the same page as them, but here, I think they nailed it. The importance of the cathartic crescendos in this movie, the characters' emotional journey and the flow of the story rather than the technical aspects that everyone is complaining about really sums up how I felt after seeing it. This was an example of a really good trilogy ender in my opinion because it did such a good job of bringing the elements of the previous movies together along with that emotional core in order to create a really satisfying conclusion to the story.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I came away from TDKR as somewhat in the middle...but this review has inspired me to watch it again. I can agree with a lot of what they say. Great review.

That ending of TDKR though, man, it deserves a lot of praise. Absolutely fantastic ending.

remnant

Banned
They are way to lenient on the movie and excuse away it's flaws with the few things it does right, and some of the stuff they praise it for is ridiculous. Catwoman is brilliant ala Ledger's Joker? the character who is never explored.

Trigger

They are way to lenient on the movie and excuse away it's flaws with the few things it does right, and some of the stuff they praise it for is ridiculous. Catwoman is brilliant ala Ledger's Joker? the character who is never explored.

I fully agree. I thought Anne was competent, but Ledger's Joker was another level.

I will say that it hard to hear them say they don't think Nolan is a great direction when they don't seem to have watched earlier films or don't know them. That's when I started to really love him as a director, with Memento and The Prestige and Insomnia (I loved Insomnia). Those are the movies that I think really established his style. I don't think that style is really served with some of his more recent large-scale movies. I don't think he is a very good action director, but it's the characters and that emotion core they talk about in half in the bag that I think always works really well.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, a rather good review, I do agree with a lot of points, the emotional core being more important then technical flaws and plotholes, even the greatest movies have these. Do not agree about the ending, I thought that was huge pile of horseshit given the Batman mythos. Also, Anne was okay acting wise but her character was so fucking pointless.

I will say that the best review of The Dark Knight Rises I have personally seen is the one done by The Cinema Snob and his wife. (Spoilers)
http://thecinemasnob.com/2012/07/20/midnight-screening-the-dark-knight-rises.aspx?ref=rss

Also, in order to really understand why the TDKR has a not so good ending I recommend this video.
http://atopfourthwall.blogspot.com/2012/07/between-lines-batman.html

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Do not agree about the ending, I thought that was huge pile of horseshit given the Batman mythos.

Well if you want to compare it to the Batman built by comic books and stuff, whatever. The ending worked perfectly within Nolan's universe. I thought it was really, really great.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well if you want to compare it to the Batman built by comic books and stuff, whatever. The ending worked perfectly within Nolan's universe. I thought it was really, really great.

I do and indeed I think it a betrayal of the character.

I will say that the best review of The Dark Knight Rises I have personally seen is the one done by The Cinema Snob and his wife. (Spoilers)
http://thecinemasnob.com/2012/07/20/midnight-screening-the-dark-knight-rises.aspx?ref=rss

I have trouble watching a review recorded in the car with the wife at 3:00 AM right after a midnight showing and thinking "yeah, he has thought this through". This is a grumpy first impressions from a tired person, not a pensive, fair review of a film.

I do and indeed I think it a betrayal of the character.

I thought the movie covered this with his
8 years of being a recluse, unable to move on not because he was heartbroken over Rachael's death, but because he was unable to break his bonds with the Bat
. Then the point of the entire second half of the movie is him finally overcoming and rising out of the dark abyss he'd been in for so long. I kind of wonder if you missed that part of the story, or if you simply can't get it out of your head that Bruce Wayne will forever be Batman.

UrbanRats

Nice review there, but i still have to see the movie so i'll see if i agree with them or not.
I also kinda like Nolan's films, but i think Inception's problems were far beyond its technicalities and plotholes, unfortunately.
Whereas the other Batman movies (or The Prestige, or Memento) had plot holes but didn't really matter, so the argument they made is sound in and out of itself, but i don't think it applies to Inception.

remnant

Banned
8 years of being a recluse, unable to move on not because he was heartbroken over Rachael's death, but because he was unable to break his bonds with the Bat
. Then the point of the entire second half of the movie is him finally overcoming and rising out of the dark abyss he'd been in for so long. I kind of wonder if you missed that part of the story, or if you simply can't get it out of your head that Bruce Wayne will forever be Batman.

Well that is one of the core ideas of batman. The man dedicates everything to a struggle he will never overcome. It's the tragedy of the character. You can say it's Nolan's interpretation, but if that's the case then this Bruce Wayne is just a weaker, less interesting character imo.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I have trouble watching a review recorded in the car with the wife at 3:00 AM right after a midnight showing and thinking "yeah, he has thought this through". This is a grumpy first impressions from a tired person, not a pensive, fair review of a film.

We have to put our review up as quickly as possible, let's do it in the parking lot right after seeing the movie and upload it to youtube with wifi!

On another note, I really wish HitB did dual movie reviews: one new, one old. It would be more interesting than talking about the same movies everyone is talking about.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Fair enough on the first part, not for everybody I guess.

The second part, I really did not feel the movie handled this well,
I think I might, just might have accepted it more if the alleged Selena Kyle romance gad worked, which it didn't, like at all. Maybe if Selena Kyle had been the true emotional core she was supposed to be and given Bruce something to live for post-Batman, I maybe could have bought it. Instead we got a forced paring because the plot said so bullshit. Sorry, I couldn't ignore the fact that she was the one who sold out Batman to save her own skin and then got tossed into jail and just kind of existed until the plot need her again and Batman trusts her just because. SHE LAMPSHADES THE FACT THAT SHE BETRAYED HIM! As far as getting over Rachael's death, that felt really incidental to the whole Gotham is burning, Bane is in command and is making Batman suffer thing. It really was a Rocky montage and Gotham needs it savior. Also, as somebody else has pointed out, it is not just Rachael's death he needed to get over. The deaths Bruce needs to get over are his parents, they just kind of forgot that point. Yea, so, I am not going to see that ending as anything other then badly-handled horseshit

Yeah, plot holes rarely affect my experience or opinion of a movie.

Great review as always. They should make the ASM hate a running gag.

remnant

Banned
The deaths Bruce needs to get over are his parents, they just kind of forgot that point. Yea, so, I am not going to see that ending as anything other then badly-handled horseshit
ZnqQ5.gif

remnant

Banned
He was able to get over his guilt from his parents death in the first film...

and it was stupid then but it does beg the question of why he continued.

Again Nolan made so many changes to batman to fit his story that his batman isn't nearly as interesting as he thinks.

Arthrus

The Red Letter Media review is probably the most level-headed take on the movie I've seen from anybody. The only two problems that really stuck out as in genuine need of fixing were
the day-to-night change in the chase out of the stock exchange
and
Wayne's return to Gotham.

The problems that Bruce Wayne faced in the movie were exactly what the first two films had been building to, thematically. His personal conflict over Rachael's death was the biggest weight on his mind at the end of the second film, which served to set up his arc as Bruce Wayne in the third film. The fall of organized crime in Gotham and the demonizing of Batman served to set up his eight year absence, and half of Bane's role as a villain was to create a need for Batman to return. The other half of his role served to
tie the previous films to this one
. Even if the arcs don't take the characters where you'd like them to go, they work as Nolan's own take on Batman.

In the Nolan universe, each Batman movie has one or two themes, and just about everything that is said or done is tied very closely to the themes. In my opinion, this is a big part of why the Batman movies handle themselves better than Spiderman, X-Men, and most other hero franchises.

Also, as somebody else has pointed out, it is not just Rachael's death he needed to get over. The deaths Bruce needs to get over are his parents, they just kind of forgot that point. Yea, so, I am not going to see that ending as anything other then badly-handled horseshit.

I was trying to point out that Rachael's death was just a cover for why he was really so distraught:
his own insecurities and personal feelings of failure as Batman, and his inability to give that role up.

To some degree, I will agree with you about his parents' death. That arc was covered heavily in the first movie but was never even touched on in TDK, and nobody held it against that movie. The events of the final act of TDKR hearkened back to [MAJOR SPOILERS]
BB by comparing the climb out of the prison to his ascent from the well as a boy, but it focused less on the role of his parents' death as his motivation and more on the immediate events happening NOW. His obsession with saving Gotham, the sense of futility brought on by Bane kicking his ass, and then finally the catharsis of overcoming it all and saving Gotham. It all worked SUPER well IMO, and they just needed a dash of the events of his childhood to give us a nostalgic feeling and to tie everything together.

I didn't really feel like they were left out, but more subtly hinted at through Alfred's cautionary tales and especially the final sequence where they bury him next to his parents' tombstones. Saving Gotham once and for all is his redemption not only for his parents' death, but for Harvey Dent's fall, Rachael's death, and all the lies and misery he and Gotham endured during his time as the Bat. They don't beat you over the head with the parents as his major psychological issue, but it is most certainly not absent from the movie.

hachi

Banned
I'm a little disappointed in RLM's conversation this time. I do partly agree with Mike that plot holes aren't crucial in all genres, and that much of the minor complaints are just noise that misses the point of a film like this one.

But I can't really follow him with this concept of an "emotional core" to the film. Had the film spent more of its efforts on the emotions of a few manageable characters in the latter half, I might be able to agree. But on the contrary, what I see driving the film's overly deliberate plot developments has little to do with an emotional or character story, and has much more to do with hurriedly aligning plot points and characters in service of a grand allegory, one that is desperate to convince us of its great significance. And yet it has little payoff beyond the same kind of tired truisms we were beaten over the head with in the previous film with all that talk of heroes we need or deserve.

There's so much in the film that works well and that I love, but most of that comes down to scenes of actual dialogue (Silena and Bruce, etc) which mostly showcase some excellent acting. The plot, however, drags the film down more and more in the later parts, and you get too many characters that are merely allegorical props and stock types,
like the cop who stubbornly refuses to fight yet is eventually turned on to the noble struggle in order to suffer a predictable death
. I'll also add that
Talia's plot and nearly every scene featuring her was just terribly acted, and that twist was an unnecessary gear in the plot's machinery that significantly weakened the impact of the last minutes

I really enjoyed the review. It's not as hilarious as a Jack and Jill review, but it's even headed, talks about what works and what doesn't, and points out plot holes but is mature enough to identify that they don't matter as much, if at all.

Zabka

Killing off Joe Chill and recognizing that he was a symptom of a larger problem in BB was one of the smartest things Nolan did in his trilogy. I didn't feel it was necessary to get into it anymore.

Excellent HitB. A very smart analysis of why some movies just work in spite of production or editing issues.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I really enjoyed the review. It's not as hilarious as a Jack and Jill review, but it's even headed, talks about what works and what doesn't, and points out plot holes but is mature enough to identify that they don't matter as much, if at all.
I like that hilarious reviews are an exception with them, though. This is a format that works great for them, I think: they have a chance to write funny skits, and they can be serious about what works/doesn't work in these movies because they know their shit. I wasn't really captivated with tdkr like I was the last movie, but all their points were so spot-on.

wetwired

Right, a rather good review, I do agree with a lot of points, the emotional core being more important then technical flaws and plotholes, even the greatest movies have these. Do not agree about the ending, I thought that was huge pile of horseshit given the Batman mythos. Also, Anne was okay acting wise but her character was so fucking pointless.

Also, in order to really understand why the TDKR has a not so good ending I recommend this video.
http://atopfourthwall.blogspot.com/2012/07/between-lines-batman.html
I need it explained to me that the ending was bad? The ending was excellent. Why would I want to listen to some chumps essay on why he thinks its bad?

Top Bottom