• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Sanjuro

I was baffled in hindsight about everyone saying how awesome she was. Annoying as hell. None of the cast had great chemistry or material but Leslie Jones was the only good one

McKinnon was the best in energy, but her character just doesn't make an ounce of sense. Her outtake reel is tragic.

Leslie is the best because she isn't a complete joke factory.

GB 2016 needed Aubrey Plaza and Anna Kendrick and needed to remove Kate Mckinnon and Melissa McCarthy.

Aubrey being bitchy and Leslie Jones not having any of her shit would have been great.

Also stop with the improve/line-o-rama shit.

kevin1025

Banned
I was baffled in hindsight about everyone saying how awesome she was. Annoying as hell. None of the cast had great chemistry or material but Leslie Jones was the only good one

I usually love McKinnon in everything she does, but in Ghostbusters it was some real rough going. I definitely agree with you, Leslie Jones was the best performer of the bunch. I don't hate the movie, more that I don't care about it, outside of being incredibly disappointed in what could have been done with that great cast.

GB 2016 needed Aubrey Plaza and Anna Kendrick and needed to remove Kate Mckinnon and Melissa McCarthy.

Also stop with the improve/line-o-rama shit.

Those picks would have really helped... if Paul Feig didn't write it.

McKinnon gets kind of a pass for me, because I have a thing for weird and quirky characters and she tried in this. I also like her in most other stuff, so I'm sure some sort of bias is playing into this. In the end, they all fail for me, because they are barely characters. I didn't really get a sense of an arc or progression from any of the characters, other than maybe Wiig's, which was explained and kind of resolved in the first 20 minutes or so. I feel like saying "the movie is not well written" is a bit too broad, but that's all I can come up with, when I think about the characters, the lack of chemistry and the interactions between them.

Also, the whole government/Secret Service/special agents sub-plot was super stupid and went nowhere. Total waste of an opportunity to introduce some sort of competing fraction.

And it's real too, not like that Transformers stuff.

ha, 51 views right now. YEEEAAAAH. Let's make that thread again!
(and 882 likes with 6 dislikes? Oh, YT doesn't count private video views)

giphy.gif

It was alright, I guess, but it seems like kind of a pointless review. Seemed especially pointless to do it as a Plinkett review, given there was barely any Plinkettian humor, when they could have just done it as a visual essay, save that Plinkett makes them more dough.

It was alright, I guess, but it seems like kind of a pointless review. Seemed especially pointless to do it as a Plinkett review, given there was barely any Plinkettian humor, when they could have just done it as a visual essay, save that Plinkett makes them more dough.

It's a good breakdown on how the film failed. It also a good video on how not to do a reboot too.

JoeInky

I think the bits with Rich and Jack felt a bit out of place, felt the same way about the JJ Abrams and George Lucas bits in the TFA review.

just watched it.

Unfortunately it wasn't as much of a breakdown as I was hoping compared to the prequels considering he really loves the original, but it was a very solid video. I'm sure Jay or somebody else told Mike to lay off some of the more trolly jokes so people don't focus on that lmao I was expecting it on every corner.

mcrommert

Banned
For what the movie was...that was an excellent review...good length too slightly under an hour

Much more entertaining than tfa review

I wonder if they deliberately downplayed the typical dark plinkett humor in this video. Keep this review focused on the film and its actual flaws instead of leaving the door open for people to read too much into "lol I kidnap women and murder them" jokes.

I thought it was really well done. Nothing about the casting "controversy." He does a good job of explaining why the characters don't work while praising the individual actors. It's pretty obvious that the incessant ad-libbing really hurt the movie.

The original is tightly paced and scripted. This one...not so much.

I also appreciate the shade being thrown at Bill Murray at the end.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Great review, and not over-produced so hopefully we won't have to wait years for a new one.

I hope whatever the next Plinkett review is, it's something Mike seems to have passion for, even if it's not topical or popular. Too much of this Ghostbusters review felt like it was spinning its wheels, repeating the same issues. He probably could've trimmed the whole thing down to half an hour or so like the old Star Trek reviews.

Grinchy

Banned
Definitely not my favorite Plinkett. I was expecting a harsh rundown of why every story element was pure idiocy, kinda like the Star Wars prequels. I guess it's possible that the movie's story was so barebones that it wasn't even possible, though.

It was still a fun watch overall.

Gave my opinion in the OT thread. It was much better and more concise than their TFA review. A good return to form after TFA was disappointing. Plinkett is best when Mike actually wants to do the review and is passionate about the subject (TFA is too meh to have much passion about). Once the ball got rolling, I was hooked until the end and wanting more when the credits finally rolled.

Definitely not my favorite Plinkett. I was expecting a harsh rundown of why every story element was pure idiocy, kinda like the Star Wars prequels. I guess it's possible that the movie's story was so barebones that it wasn't even possible, though.

It was still a fun watch overall.

I think a problem was that he didn't want to make a longer review than necessary, seems like he was holding back from focusing too much on the original and more using it as a comparison point here and there.

It's serviceable enough to point flaws, but yeah it didn't feel anywhere as damning as others if he really disliked it that much.

I'd rank this above the TFA and the Star Trek plinkett reviews, but below everything else that I can think of.

Fat4all

Banned
This felt a lot like the Titanic review for some reason (sans Mike liking Titanic a bit). I really enjoyed it as a concise way to say their final word on the movie as a whole.

(though I do imagine they'll still poke fun at it every now and again)

This felt a lot like the Titanic review for some reason (sans Mike liking Titanic a bit). I really enjoyed it as a concise way to say their final word on the movie as a whole.

(though I do imagine they'll still poke fun at it every now and again)

Yeah, I had the same thought about the Titanic review, which I kind of think is a weak Plinkett review (along with this one). It's also weird not having any Plinkett sketches, or illustrations of him, and having Jack/Rich credited at the end.

Grinchy

Banned
I think a problem was that he didn't want to make a longer review than necessary, seems like he was holding back from focusing too much on the original and more using it as a comparison point here and there.

It's serviceable enough to point flaws, but yeah it didn't feel anywhere as damning as others if he really disliked it that much.

I'd rank this above the TFA and the Star Trek plinkett reviews, but below everything else that I can think of.

IMO it had way too much of a comparison to the original. If it just scolded the inane story of this horrific movie standing on its own merits, I would have enjoyed the review more. I still enjoy what we got, but I was just expecting something else.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Having watched it it's interesting to revisit the movie as I worked on it briefly near the end of its post production. Three things that stood out to me in the review:

- Al Pacino Jack and Jill cameo. Dear god it's awful just seeing...

- those effects going past the black bars bothers me and I'm not too sure why

- there was a point where I couldn't tell what was the original edit and what was Mike or Jay over edit of the cast improvising/talking over each other

Top Bottom