• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Frimaire

I'd rather have one Best of the Worst than 3 HitB episodes. It's not like they have anything interesting or insightful to say about new movies.

Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't be so harsh on HitB, but basically this...
BotW is the reason I started watching RLM and it continues to be their best series.

I'd rather have one Best of the Worst than 3 HitB episodes. It's not like they have anything interesting or insightful to say about new movies.

Oh yeah the BotW episodes we've had since the last HitB have been incredibly funny so I'm not fussed, just thought it odd , might be a sign they are sick of doing that style. Dunkirk especially seems like a movie they'd go in depth on.

I disagree completely, their Baby Driver review was great. The hiatus is weird, I can presume the stealth Plinkett review ate up a lot of free time.

IMO HiTB is at its best during the Intro and outro sections. Rarely do we see a great HiTB review since mostly it's Mike and Jay reviewing movies and spoiling a lot in the process which defeats the point in watching a movie. Their bad reviews are more fun to watch but those are few and far between since most of the time the stuff they review is decent.

BoTW is a gem when it comes out. All of them, from SOS to Be Cool About Fire Safety, there is never a dull moment in BoTW.

EVOL 100%

IMO HiTB is at its best during the Intro and outro sections. Rarely do we see a great HiTB review since mostly it's Mike and Jay reviewing movies and spoiling a lot in the process which defeats the point in watching a movie. Their bad reviews are more fun to watch but those are few and far between since most of the time the stuff they review is decent.

BoTW is a gem when it comes out. All of them, from SOS to Be Cool About Fire Safety, there is never a dull moment in BoTW.

I said BoTW isn't exactly my favourite part of RLM, but the Shoji Tabuchi Show reveal is probably one of the best RLM moments ever.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Best of the Worst > ReView > Nerdcast > Wheel of the Worst > Half in the Bag > Plinkett for me.

I think Best of the Worst is the funniest but I like Half in the Bag more. Simply due to the fact that it's covering recent topics at the same moment that I'm craving discussion about them. Not that their discussion is very deep most of the time, but it's just fun to listen to them shoot the shit about something I watched recently.

The classic Plinketts were top notch however the Star Wars Awakens was just weird and meandering done entirely out of obligation, and while Ghostbusters did a much better job at critique, was still not a razor sharp as the earlier stuff. I don't think Mike has it in him anymore to devote that kind of time and energy into something as focused and in depth as his previous work.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Wow look at all of these disgusting opinions putting best of the worst over wheel of the worst.

The best laughs have been in wheel of the worst, fight me.

The wheel peaked at the SOS/Shoji episode and should have been retired then

To prove how right I am, I don't even think they were the same episode and I'm just combining multiple memories to make it better.

LakeEarth

Good wheel videos are S tier, but there's a couple of C tier wheel videos messing up the scale

Yeah, Wheel is luck dependent, since in some cases, they don't even know what they are until they hit play. For Best of the Worst, the movies are on there for a reason, so there's better consistency.

I'm not gonna order their shows, but if I did, BotW would be at the top of the list.

To prove how right I am, I don't even think they were the same episode and I'm just combining multiple memories to make it better.
What fucking ever

That's not the episode with the custom made dolls and the singing cow.

First of all sos and shoji were two different episodes of wotw

Second exploding varmints part 1 came after that, which is the single best thing rlm has ever done

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Man, i hope they do a Half in the Bag episode about Dunkirk.
I thought it was Nolan's best movie since The Prestige.

BigAT

TPM review is still GOAT.

Also people tend to forget that a 90 minute video review in 2009 was so damn ridiculous.

"Yeah, like I'm really going to watch some idiot talk about Phantom Menace for an hour and a half."

-me, upon hearing about the existence of the review

I've only enjoyed one prerec and it was the one of pubg because I didn't play it and therefore I don't know what to feel about their negativity because I don't know better.

that game is something else though, in terms of just 'wow, they actually made this'.

Also the last Angry Joe video I watched, I think. "Look at this fucking lamp!", and that was basically the whole list of positives about it.

I watched Plinkett’s Ghostbusters review and downloaded this to my phone and listened to it in the background off and on throughout the weekend to let it digest.

I was looking for somewhere to rent the extended cut to see if I could just see some of the scenes in their context. I couldn’t find anywhere to rent it so I went looking for some of the deleted scenes on youtube.

The “Protect the Barrier” presentation was sure some on-the-nose exposition/foreshadowing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Ob0TzJqQA)

Erin talking to her boyfriend was oddly placed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKRwoSpuqzA) It looks like this was right after they got the call about the ghost at the rock concert. At that point of the movie there should have been the urgency to get STRAIGHT to the paranormal activity.

Does anyone know if they cut the “Irish Proof Fence” joke from the extended cut and the DVD version of the theatrical? I remember that just sticking out when I watched it, but Plinkett didn’t mention it nor can I find the scene on youtube.

The 40-minute improv take story from Hemsworth is amazing. It really makes me wonder if there was an actual script. People have talked about Murray possibly improvising in GB1, but if this script (http://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/gb1_script_1983-10-07_pdftext.pdf ) is the actual shooting script, then it wasn’t all that much. Stuff was changed here and there, but nothing major. The “Well, that’s what I heard” line mike brought up in their re:View isn’t there, nor is the “This man has no dick” line that preceded it. The only other major stand out is “So, she’s a dog” isn’t in the script either. So, they went in with a solid structure in the original movie. Please let me know if there is a script of the remake out there for me to read. I must see what it was like. Is there an actual script for Ghostbusters 2016 floating around out there? I HAVE to see it.

I noticed that GB 2016 was one of the nominees at the Hugo Awards last week (http://www.worldcon.fi/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/HugoReport1_voting.pdf ) It sure was a wide breadth in quality in that lineup. Thankfully “Arrival” and “Hidden Figures” were on the top of that list. (“Rogue One” over “Stranger Things” though?)

The improv stuff could have worked if they made this an actual sequel where the new crew was a licensed franchise of the Ghostbusters in a new location. They could be a motley crew of different personalities, but in the end people “shooting the shit” with improv jokes in a style like “The Office,” a style Paul Fieg might have been better suited for.

Then you hear stuff like they paid $1000s for the short snippet of “The Wizard of Oz” song (that in the end the writer and director didn’t know the source of the reference) or that supposedly Pringles didn’t pay up for their appearance despite having their logo always in view or saying the marketing phrase IN the movie. It is amazing to hear Dan Aykroyd say reshoots were between $30-40 million. Hell, the “Justice League” reshoots are ~only~ $25 million if those reports are to be believed.

I wish the Sony executive stuff was framed a little better though. Maybe claim it is from the old Sony hack and Plinkett got it through underhanded means. It was weird to have him say something and Rich basically repeat it. Maybe have a couple more bits where Rich is showing Jack binders full of market research and products to shove into the movie.

It is great to see a review in the post home market release so that Mike could pick out exactly what the complaint were. I remember the guys talking about how they would keep on talking, but I couldn’t remember specifics from the film at that point. Then you see how the tone is all wrong as well. It is a bit weird he took that stab at Murray, but also didn’t point out how he dragged his feet in Ghostbusters 2 as well. They mention in their commentary track that it is obvious Murray wanted to do the bare minimum and Winston is there so they can have a three man dynamic in some scenes.

I consider Pre-Rec streams a microcosm of all game streams.

They started with Audio just talking and playing game.

-Add face cam
-Take first donations to get new computers
-Set up constant donations for subcribing
-Spend 75% of stream time calling out donations and subscribers

Unwatchable for me now

TeamFourStar game streams have done this as well, all in that order. They even have a window in the top that face cams a guy who does nothing but read the donations.

It's just the stream cycle.

When you're watching best of the worst in your phone as background as you do office work, and a coworker pops by and laughs and says that's not work appropriate, and I turn around to see they're going over ladies in bikinis and sex scenes lmao.

First and last time I opt to watch best of the worst in the office. Apparently I don't remember how raunchy some of them get. Luckily I had my headphones on to cancel the green waves

imBask

Banned
I consider Pre-Rec streams a microcosm of all game streams.

They started with Audio just talking and playing game.

-Add face cam
-Take first donations to get new computers
-Set up constant donations for subcribing
-Spend 75% of stream time calling out donations and subscribers

Unwatchable for me now

TeamFourStar game streams have done this as well, all in that order. They even have a window in the top that face cams a guy who does nothing but read the donations.

It's just the stream cycle.

they read the subscribers at the end of the stream... and the donations are usually questions

LakeEarth

I really enjoyed watching the Pre-Rec stream the Friday the 13th game with Jay as a special guest. The game itself is fun to watch, Jay pointing out things slipped in from the movies was neat, and it all culminated to when Jay finally had a chance to drive the car and immediately crashed into a tree. That was fun stuff.

EDIT - the latter part was used as a 'highlight': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHV4PmDyglc

they read the subscribers at the end of the stream... and the donations are usually questions

Then at least they changed that. The last time I watched, it was a rich evans sound bite and call out immediately and it happened 30+ times in the first 10 minutes.

Top Bottom