• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Steel 3 confirmed !

heringer

I want to believe, because I loved Red Steel 2 but I honestly don't see that happening anytime soon. Well, maybe if it is multiplatform. The franchise certainly has potential to be huge, so I'm sure we will see Red Steel 3 one day, but not that soon.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
one_kill said:
Hmmm... remote + nunchuck + motionplus (?) + vitality sensor
In a few years, you'll need a degree in engineering to attach everything correctly.

heringer said:
I want to believe, because I loved Red Steel 2 but I honestly don't see that happening anytime soon. Well, maybe if it is multiplatform. The franchise certainly has potential to be huge, so I'm sure we will see Red Steel 3 one day, but not that soon.

Why would it need to be multiplatform?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It seems obvious to me that there should be a new nunchuck with a hollow in it where you can place a finger, or insert a finger. That the sensor should be integrated into the nunchuck rather than being a separate thing.

If Nintendo has any intention of the two being usable together.

Gilby

wsippel said:
Jason VandenBerghe was talking about that in interviews a while ago. He wanted to implement a system where certain special attacks can be triggered depending on how calm you are.

I was confused by the vitality sensor until you said this. "Zen" attacks/moves has the potential to be really cool.

Fularu

Banned
schuelma said:
That's what I am guessing as well.

ONM France is its own entity and isn't a translation of the english NOM.

Also the ties between Ubi Soft France and ONM France are prety close.

So far, there's absolutely nothing bogus about the news, NOM France beeing prety good as far as I know.

heringer

AceBandage said:
Why would it need to be multiplatform?
Because Red Steel 2 sales didn't exactly set the world on fire and I don't think Red Steel 3 would.

Though to be honest, I don't think the game would be very successfull with PS3's wand either. That's why I'm expecting them to continue the franchise on the next generation.

heringer said:
Because Red Steel 2 sales didn't exactly set the world on fire and I don't think Red Steel 3 would.

Though to be honest, I don't think the game would be very successfull with PS3's wand either. That's why I'm expecting them to continue the franchise on the next generation.

The fact that they are already announcing this game (and for use with Vitality Sensor), means that this game was in development before 2 even released.
I don't think we'll see it move anywhere.

botticus

TunaLover said:
It's on rails since it doesn't support nunchuk
Hopefully Nintendo hasn't kneecapped the usefulness of the Vitality Sensor by making it incompatible with any additional attachments.

cacildo

AceBandage said:
The fact that they are already announcing this game (and for use with Vitality Sensor), means that this game was in development before 2 even released.

I sure hope so!

(PS: The month before E3 is so slow news month that even this completly vague mention to Red Steel3 becomes the talk of the day)

Fularu said:
ONM France is its own entity and isn't a translation of the english NOM.

Also the ties between Ubi Soft France and ONM France are prety close.

So far, there's absolutely nothing bogus about the news, NOM France beeing prety good as far as I know.

Ah - I thought it was just a translated version. At least that distances them somewhat from the naff UK version!

gofreak said:
It seems obvious to me that there should be a new nunchuck with a hollow in it where you can place a finger, or insert a finger. That the sensor should be integrated into the nunchuck rather than being a separate thing.

Why so complex? Why not a wireless VS?

heringer

AceBandage said:

Yeah, but on pre-production stages I don't think anything is definitive. Ubisoft could easily opt to make other versions after the initial sales of Red Steel 2. Judging by the game's advertising they were expeting bigger numbers, I think.

Not that I think this is happening because I still don't believe the news.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
RS2 was such a MASSIVE improvement over the fatally flawed original, and a pretty good game in its own right, that further refinement in the form of a third iteration can only be a great thing. I wouldn't be surprised, however, to hear RS3 get shit-canned at some point, depending upon continues sales (or not) of RS2.

ZAK

I am completely surprised by this in every way. Seriously, what the hell?

gofreak said:

Take an extra wiimote (everyone has 6 of them), put a VS on it, put it on your finger, and put the wiimote in your pocket. This isn't rocket surgery.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Cosmonaut X said:
Why so complex? Why not a wireless VS?

If it looks anything like the one they showed last year*, wireless or no I think it would be fumbly to hold/use a nunchuck while wearing it. It's large and chunky. Can you imagine holding a nunchuck while this is wrapped around a finger?

e3-2009-nint-keynote-ninty-e309-keynote-0648-rm-eng-rm-eng.jpg

So why not integrate into a nunchuck in a way that suits the natural 'fall' of a hand around a nunchuck?

Of course, by all means make a wireless one also for games that only require it (or it and a wiimote).

* I think it probably will look different though. It would absolutely have to if they intended you to do anything else with the hand its attached to, and probably would need to be slimmer and closer fitting if you wanted to think about integrating it with a nunchuck too.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Nintendo announces Wii Remote, Ubisoft makes Red Steel
Nintendo announces Wii Motion Plus, Ubisoft makes Red Steel 2
Nintendo announces Wii Vitality Sensor, Ubisoft makes Red Steel 3

Not a stretch to see a trend here

John Harker said:
Nintendo announces Wii Remote, Ubisoft makes Red Steel
Nintendo announces Wii Motion Plus, Ubisoft makes Red Steel 2
Nintendo announces Wii Vitality Sensor, Ubisoft makes Red Steel 3

Not a stretch to see a trend here

Red Steel 4 =
Nintendo_on--article_image.jpg

gofreak said:
So why not integrate into a nunchuck in a way that suits the natural 'fall' of a hand around a nunchuck?

Of course, by all means make a wireless one also for games that only require it (or it and a wiimote)..

The big problem is that if left handed people are going to use it, then there would be holes on either side of the nun-chuck, which could make it very uncomfortable to hold on to.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AceBandage said:
This is very likely. It also means that, when the game got greenlighted, they had some reason to be pretty sure about the profitability of the franchise.
Add the fact some people from Retro Studios helped with the first stages of RS2, and I'm led to believe Nintendo may have had some role in this.

V_Ben

Banned
Jocchan said:
This is very likely. It also means that, when the game got greenlighted, they had some reason to be pretty sure about the profitability of the franchise.
Add the fact some people from Retro Studios helped with the first stages of RS2, and I'm led to believe Nintendo may have had some role in this.

Retro had some involvement? where did you hear that.

V_Ben said:
Retro had some involvement? where did you hear that.

Red Steel was known for its contemptible controls, for Red Steel 2 Ubisoft went looking for help from Retro Studios. .

After heavy criticism of Red Steel’s controls, Ubisoft decided to get help fixing the problem in Red Steel 2 from Retro Studios. The creative director of Red Steel 2, Jason Vandenberghe has said that "We worked very closely with the guys over at Retro Studios, and the producer of Metroid Prime came to work with us and gave us a lot of insight into how they handled things."

Retro Studios developed the Metroid Prime games, the third of which has been praised with having some of the best FPS controls on the Nintendo Wii. Hopefully Retro Studios influence will result in a much smoother experience in Red Steel 2.

http://www.vooks.net/story-18103-Ubisoft-seeks-help-from-Retro-Studio-on-Red-Steel-2.html

heringer

Since we're talking of a possible sequel, what route do you guys think the franchise should take?

Should they continue the story of the first game, staying with Red Steel 2's world or create a new world, with new characters, new art direction, etc?

A.CHAP

Banned
I read an interview with jason V about using the vitality sensor where he said something about having mana regenerate when you are calm to be used for magic attacks and berserker attacks unlocked when you get suficiently excited. Sounds good to me.

heringer said:
Since we're talking of a possible sequel, what route do you guys think the franchise should take?

Should they continue the story of the first game, staying with Red Steel 2's world or create a new world, with new characters, new art direction, etc?

It would be cheapest and fastest to stay in the current world. But I would love the see them revisit the setting of the original Red Steel 2, and see what they can pull off with that now.

I really hope they use the vitality sensor for a MGS'ish like torture scene, it could bring an entirely new dimension to that gameplay mechanic.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I hope Vandenberghe is still at the helm (I haven't played RS2 yet - currently trying to clear my backlog a bit - but I hear he did a really good job). Also, he kinda looks like Dudebro, so he does have all my support.

As I said from the very beginning, the one game where I would love to see Vitality Sensor support is Silent Hill. Or Eternal Darkness, in that case you'd be the insanity bar.

A.CHAP said:
I read an interview with jason V about using the vitality sensor where he said something about having mana regenerate when you are calm to be used for magic attacks and berserker attacks unlocked when you get suficiently excited. Sounds good to me.

Red Steel 3: Might and Magic edition?

Hmmm, I could go for that.

abstract alien said:
Mmmm, I can take a franchise like this more often that changes the way its played. I really enjoyed the first one, and I'm loving the different tone and feel to the second. Only thing I dont like at the moment is the mission structure, as its pretty segmented. Still, awesome game that takes proper advantage of the wii, and a third is very welcome.

This more or less sums up my thoughts too. Will be interesting when the first info starts appearing.

RS2 was good but incomplete.

If they build on that and don't ditch what they've gained in favor of new gimmicks, then they can make a really, really good game.

heringer

Vinterbird said:
It would be cheapest and fastest to stay in the current world. But I would love the see them revisit the setting of the original Red Steel 2, and see what they can pull off with that now.

I really hope they use the vitality sensor for a MGS'ish like torture scene, it could bring an entirely new dimension to that gameplay mechanic.
Maybe the same setting but with different characters, places and story?

I actually loved the setting of the first game, but like Jason Vandenberghe said once, they needed a world were people really fight with swords, and that world isn't Red Steel's world.

gamingeek

Pirate Steel, cutlass and pistol.

I think this news is bogus though. It sounds like they interpreted a glib, off the cuff remark from a Vandenberge interview.

Lijik

Jocchan said:
As I said from the very beginning, the one game where I would love to see Vitality Sensor support is Silent Hill. Or Eternal Darkness, in that case you'd be the insanity bar.

Off topic but I wonder if excitedness from laughing would be read similar to excitedness from agression, so the game could trick you into raising the insanity bar by randomly having cheesy b-movie esque scenes while you are calm.

I have absolutely no idea how anything related to this idea works so it may not even be feasible.

scitek

I could tell the influence Metroid Prime 3 had from the first second I played RS2. That's awesome to know Retro was directly involved. I wonder if they recommended switching to 60FPS, too.

Dascu

Something tells me the Vitality Sensor is going to be part of a renewed Nunchuck that has a Motion+ module built in as well.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Lijik said:
Off topic but I wonder if excitedness from laughing would be read similar to excitedness from agression, so the game could trick you into raising the insanity bar by randomly having cheesy b-movie esque scenes while you are calm.

I have absolutely no idea how anything related to this idea works so it may not even be feasible.
Yep, the biggest question about this sensor is how exactly is it supposed to tell this stuff (if at all).

TunaLover

Even with a wireless nunchuk, or built-in nunchuk with vitality sensor, you still need your index fingers free to press B, C, or Z.

I'm not sure if the thing could work with other fingers, though.

radcliff

Vandenberghe already noted how he would like to incorporate the VS into Red Steel. I don't have the exact quote, but he mentioned the VS to read your pulse and entering a "zen" mode to unleash more powerful attacks.

Evilink said:
So.......RS2 sold.....well?

Serious question, I haven't been keeping score.

Honestly, we don't know.
I think Ubisoft only expected like 500K WW for the game, so it's probably doing decently.

Well, we'll see, as long as it stays true to it FPS roots, keeps the graphical style and the East/West-thing. I just don't know if I'd like to return to Caldera, I'd rather have a sci-fi game. Like Red Steel 2 was set in the past (relative to Red Steel 1), let Red Steel 3 be in a futuristic Japan.

cacildo said:
Wasnt Red Steel 2 the biggest bomb in the history of the mankind?

According to Gaf, it was like "oh my God 50.000 copies in 3 days? its a bomb! Its a boooomb!!! The franchise is dead and the Wii is doooomed"

By the way... Vitality sensor? Am i really supposed to believe this?
It will detect how upset you are after buying the game.

If they've already made decisions to announce, who's developing, and what it will use, I doubt they used sales as any sort of barometer of whether they should make the game or not.

Top Bottom