• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Steel 3 confirmed !

Would love for a sequel that fixes the issues but keeps the core gameplay. Don't see this as a confirmation though.

Oh and as a idiot fan I am of course very sorry and beg for forgiveness for thinking this. I am sorry for liking the game. I am so very very sorry :(

Mael

MYE said:
hey, he's right in pretty much the same way that most hd games are shells of games heralded merely for their "unique" artstyle/gfx prowess, not for any greater design elements.

Seriously it's mainly offtopic though, can we go back to bitching about whether Official Nintendo Magasine is reliable or not

jax (old)

Banned
cacildo said:
Wasnt Red Steel 2 the biggest bomb in the history of the mankind?

According to Gaf, it was like "oh my God 50.000 copies in 3 days? its a bomb! Its a boooomb!!! The franchise is dead and the Wii is doooomed"

By the way... Vitality sensor? Am i really supposed to believe this?

Well itsn't it a bomb? 50k is balls to be honest. They expected it to sell truckloads because game 1 sold a million copies.

Jackano

Oh no my god, aren't they coming to Nintendo's E3 media briefing demo-ing the game, like with the first one in 2006?
I believe I already say that for Red Steel 2 too :lol

DaMan121

Jax said:
Well itsn't it a bomb? 50k is balls to be honest. They expected it to sell truckloads because game 1 sold a million copies.

1 million world wide.. and I think it got to that figure over a period of 6 months :/

Amir0x

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:
We have heard this SAME complaint a thousand times before in that thread, so why do we have to hear it again in the "Red Steel 3 Confirmed" thread? I don't care who it is from, I'm just sick of hearing it.

I don't keep track of how many negative complaints the game has received, nor how many of its fans are tired of hearing about them. The whims of forum conversation are not dictated by how tired people are of hearing negativity or positivity. Looks like you're going to have to suck it up and face the opposing opinions and constructively discuss why you disagree, or ignore them and talk only with people who want to circlejerk with you in a corner. Both are fine options.

That's the long and short of it.

Mael said:
Next you'll tell us you're more interested in The Conduit 2 than Red Steel 3.
Seriously it's not the most beautiful game I've ever played but it's actually one of the most fun game I bought this year and way above some lauded games on any other platforms (looking at you GTA IV, you too Gears of Wars).

Then again that's your opinion, if you didn't like it you didn't like it

I don't think any amount of Red Steel 2 hate could match how bad Conduit 1 was. Red Steel 2 was like Half-Life 2 compared to Conduit.

Anyway, I've played God of War 3, Bayonetta, Mass Effect 2, SMT: Strange Journey... and on Wii right now I'm playing the AMAZING Monster Hunter 3 (which contains virtually no gimmicks to speak of). So even THIS WEEK, the game isn't the most fun I've had

Red Steel 2 is just not something I had any fun with. I explained why in that previous post, so you can already know where I'm coming from. My games have to have good graphics, good gameplay/game design AND good controls. And I've got problems with the controls too, so that's not going to sell me. RS2 is just a really sloppily designed game, which apparently everyone in the official thread already has heard said a million times (thanks skiesofwonder) so obviously I'm not the only one with these complaints.

ANYWAY, the reason I commented in this Red Steel 3 thread was to respond to the idea that RS3 being announced indicated something about the sales of Red Steel 2. I was just sayin' the announcement would be so close to the release of RS2, that I don't think it says anything. Red Steel 3 must have been in development before Red Steel 2 was even out. The conversation naturally evolved from there, as they tend to.

Cep

Banned
Amir0x said:
Red Steel 3 must have been in development before Red Steel 2 was even out.

Which is odd because from what I can see, there is no way that this is a sound decision on Ubi's end.

Unless the 3rd game is not Wii-Exclusive...

Vagabundo

Cep said:
Which is odd because from what I can see, there is no way that this is a sound decision on Ubi's end.

Yeah something doesn't smell right.

But then again this is Ubi, not known for their rational thinking.

I miss the Ubisoft of the 80's: back then I used to get excited by their logo on a game.

EDIT: The original Prince of Persia blew my mind away.

Amir0x

Banned
Cep said:

Yeah I can't make heads or tails out of it. MAYBE they thought Red Steel 2 was going to be a success and so started development of the third immediately? Or maybe they're getting some incentive?

Cep

Banned
Vagabundo said:
Yeah something doesn't smell right.

But then again this is Ubi, not known for their rational thinking.

I miss the Ubisoft of the 80's: back then I used to get excited by their logo on a game.

But usually when they are irrational, we get screwed.

This is not the case here, so this is either fake, or it is not Wii-inclusive/-Exclusive

Amir0x said:
Yeah I can't make heads or tails out of it. MAYBE they thought Red Steel 2 was going to be a success and so started development of the third immediately? Or maybe they're getting some incentive?

Incentive I can buy, but there is no way anyone thought this game would sell big. The original crawled its way to a Mil and it was released near launch.

Amir0x

Banned
Cep said:

This is not the case here, so this is either fake, or it is not Wii-inclusive/-Exclusive

Hm. Perhaps utilizing PS Move? The timing would make sense, I suppose.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Amir0x said:
MAYBE they thought Red Steel 2 was going to be a success and so started development of the third immediately? Or maybe they're getting some incentive?
Honestly, the second option looks much more likely to me. Unless you're working on a VERY successful, enstablished franchise you hardly start actively developing a sequel before the current game is out.

Vagabundo

Cep said:

Maybe Nintendo has been on the money hat..

dsister44

Sorry to say Amirox that Pikmin 3 aint coming til 2012, maybe holiday 2011 if we're lucky.

it's ok though cos we can vent our collective rage at the proper cause, NSMBWii

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Eh, I'm chalking this up as a mistake or speculation. Sequels very, very rarely get confirmed so fast.

I'm with ya Ami!

But I'm at odds with the idea that games which rely on a gimmicky control are inherently bad. They tend to be shallow, but not always.

The games that do it right deserve as much praise as any other title in this industry.

But I honestly thought the control scheme undertaken for menial tasks in Indigo Prophecy was under utilized, and that line of thinking is partially what goes into my love of the (albeit) flawed Wiimote.

Adding any tactile feeling to the game experience can create a stronger sense of immersion.

The foible of Nintendo was in their excessive cost cutting this gen. If the Wii would have actually been able to display 360/PS3 games in SD I think the platform would be better off, developers would have been easier to gather in, and you'd get something close to the full current gen immersion.

With both the visual and tactile increase.

Ehhh, next gen hopefully.

Cep

Banned
EatChildren said:
Eh, I'm chalking this up as a mistake or speculation. Sequels very, very rarely get confirmed so fast.

Yeah, usually only established franchises and games that do absurdly well get sequels announced so quickly.

MYE

dsister44 said:
Sorry to say Amirox that Pikmin 3 aint coming til 2012, maybe holiday 2011 if we're lucky.

it's ok though cos we can vent our collective rage at the proper cause, NSMBWii

Please explain

kinggroin

Banned
To Amir0x's credit, his ability to put together and articulate such focused hatred is such that everytime I read him, I'm almost convinced that I too hate the game in question, regardless of how I felt prior :lol

You almost got me this time Ami, ALMOST!

*shakes fist

*takes Red Steel 2 disc out of the trash

dsister44

MYE said:
Please explain

Pikmin and new super mario Bros are both developed by EAD4.

Clearly they have just finished NSMBWii so we won't be getting another game from them for a while. Getting Pikmin 3 this year is about as likely as forza 4 or uncharted 3.

It sucks but Pikmin 3 could be one of the last games nintnedo releases for wii.

kinggroin said:
To Amir0x's credit, his ability to put together and articulate such focused hatred is such that everytime I read him, I'm almost convinced that I too hate the game in question, regardless of how I felt prior :lol

The opposite is also true though. Yesterday I've read his posts about Galaxy and now I love it even more!

dsister44 said:
Pikmin and new super mario Bros are both developed by EAD4.

Where did you hear this?

dsister44

Glass Soldier said:
The opposite is also true though. Yesterday I've read his posts about Galaxy and now I love it even more!

Where did you hear this?

http://www.giantbomb.com/shigefumi-hino/72-605/

Hino was the director of pikmin 1 and 2 and now works at EAD4, the other director of Pikmin,Abe, moved to NST so I assume he is no longer involved in the franchise.

At first EAD4 was a handheld team, mostly made up from the people at R&D2 that worked on the mario advance franchise. with the DS they continued to make 2D mario games. They were then combined with the Pikmin team to make console games. Hino is in the credits for NSMBWii and NSMB. He is a big part of both franchises.

I love Ami... but he doesn't sway my opinion... because I have my own.

Sometimes it's more then a little pot addled but it's definitely at odds with his at times. He has issue with the Wiimote itself, it's purported accuracy with the motion controls when announced versus the reality.

It wasn't the step it was supposed to be, but with good programming you could hide a good portion of its inadequacies. I admit I got caught up in the hype surrounding the rumored specifications of the Wiimote, but I was still entertained by the end product, he has been too, but mainly when it is used sparsely and effectively.

I too enjoy a well thought out idea, but I also get a kick out of the high flying ideas that rarely come to fruition. That explains my collection of anything Molyneux over the past decade.:lol It also explains some of my purchases for the Wii.

A lot of games with great ideas, but spotty motion controls in the end hinder the overall experience. I come out on the side of any experimentation is good though, even with gimmicky ideas at the core.

Shiggy

dsister44 said:

Hino was the director of pikmin 1 and 2 and now works at EAD4, the other director of Pikmin,Abe, moved to NST so I assume he is no longer involved in the franchise.

What if NST is working on Pikmin 3?

148764-kotick2.jpg

dsister44 said:

At first EAD4 was a handheld team, mostly made up from the people at R&D2 that worked on the mario advance franchise. with the DS they continued to make 2D mario games. They were then combined with the Pikmin team to make console games. Hino is in the credits for NSMBWii and NSMB. He is a big part of both franchises.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks.

Well... a small price to pay for one of the best 2D-Platformers. I can wait.

Mael

Amir0x said:
I don't think any amount of Red Steel 2 hate could match how bad Conduit 1 was. Red Steel 2 was like Half-Life 2 compared to Conduit.

:lol :lol
As I've already said :
I was a lurker when the official thread went on and was following it...
At first I didn't understand why you hated it, then I played it....

Amir0x said:
Anyway, I've played God of War 3, Bayonetta, Mass Effect 2, SMT: Strange Journey... and on Wii right now I'm playing the AMAZING Monster Hunter 3 (which contains virtually no gimmicks to speak of). So even THIS WEEK, the game isn't the most fun I've had

I won't comment on your enjoyment of it, I would be a douche to even question it.
Anyway I function with 1 game per system and Monster hunter is inside the Wii when it's not Prime Trilogy so all I can say is that it's not the best first person game I'm playing now on the Wii :lol

Amir0x said:
Red Steel 2 is just not something I had any fun with. I explained why in that previous post, so you can already know where I'm coming from. My games have to have good graphics, good gameplay/game design AND good controls. And I've got problems with the controls too, so that's not going to sell me. RS2 is just a really sloppily designed game, which apparently everyone in the official thread already has heard said a million times (thanks skiesofwonder) so obviously I'm not the only one with these complaints.

I'd advise you to mess with the controls a bit, it's not as deep as the Conduit with button placement and all but it's really good and it can get really natural, before I went in depth I found it really bad myself.
I'm not far but the only problem so far I have is the mission structure (gfx are not a big problem to me since I don't have an hdtv and don't want one, and they're way LESS important to me than decent gameplay=>me having more fun with Silent Hill than with Uncharted 2). I like the limitation in the shooting, at least it's not the ridiculous Rambo fantasy :-/. so yeah as we say here 'tastes and colours' (meaning there's as many tastes as there is colours so no need arguing both)

Amir0x said:
ANYWAY, the reason I commented in this Red Steel 3 thread was to respond to the idea that RS3 being announced indicated something about the sales of Red Steel 2. I was just sayin' the announcement would be so close to the release of RS2, that I don't think it says anything. Red Steel 3 must have been in development before Red Steel 2 was even out. The conversation naturally evolved from there, as they tend to.

no arguing here, you have a way of saying your opinion that make people react somehow (or maybe they're just messing with you IDK)

thomaser

The best Wii 3rd-party news I can think of. Hope it's true! Maybe they can fit in a multiplayer-mode this time? Only major thing lacking in RS2. And hopefully more to do after you've beaten the main mode.

Mael

thomaser said:
The best Wii 3rd-party news I can think of. Hope it's true! Maybe they can fit in a multiplayer-mode this time? Only major thing lacking in RS2. And hopefully more to do after you've beaten the main mode.

How about Monster Hunter 3(Tri)G?

And this better have a multiplayer and co op and all, if Perfect Dark had it they can have it too >:-(

jrricky

Banned
kinggroin said:

You almost got me this time Ami, ALMOST!

*shakes fist

*takes Red Steel 2 disc out of the trash
This is Ami's plan. Write long drawn out explanation posts to hide his trolling. Which is why I hate reading them
:p

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
You guys are kidding yourselves if you don't think sequels are planned at the minimum in the conceptional stages before their predecessors are released.

All these franchises that are yearly released, you really think publishers wait for the first title out, sit on it for a few months to see if it sells well, then an exec greenlit it 3-4 months later, then the entire game is developed in 6 months, tested and certified for 2, then released a year after the first? Crazy.

How long did GRAW 2 come out after GRAW 1? Ubisoft has a precedence for this, surely.

Cep

Banned
John Harker said:
You guys are kidding yourselves if you don't think sequels are planned at the minimum in the conceptional stages before their predecessors are released.

All these franchises that are yearly released, you really think publishers wait for the first title out, sit on it for a few months to see if it sells well, then an exec greenlit it 3-4 months later, then the entire game is developed in 6 months, tested and certified for 2, then released a year after the first? Crazy.

How long did GRAW 2 come out after GRAW 1? Ubisoft has a precedence for this, surely.

True, but not particularly relevant to this specific scenario.

Vizion28

Banned
Red Steel 2 is definitely not a flop. Sales expectations were 500,000 worldwide. It sold less than 60k for just the several days during the month NPD covered and that's only in America. It is very likely it will surpass 500,000 in sales worldwide. Many Wii games are typically slow burners. House of the Dead OK and No More Heroes eventually passed that mark after several months.

That said, why wouldn't they start working on the sequel before its released? You think Ubisoft allows the dev team to take time off to see if their game sells while they are on their payroll?

farnham

Banned
im heart broken

red steel 2 was so great and i would have definitively bought RS3 (never even bothered with Red Steel 1)

cw_sasuke said:
Ubisoft just confirmed that ONM misinterpreted the interview.

I really can't believe anyone would've thought otherwise. Even if there will be a third one, the last game just went on shelves. It was way too early for that kind of announcement.

Ramenman

Shiggy said:
They reported incorrect information? I've never heard of the French ONM before.

Well they did have an article once about a Need For Speed game for Wii where the screens were from the PS360 versions, with no mention.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
cw_sasuke said:
We have a winner.

Ubisoft just confirmed that ONM misinterpreted the interview.

http://www.nintendo-master.com/xtne...__rien_nassure_quil_y_aura_un_red_steel_3.htm

Well, this frickin sucks (but kinda expected). :(

I vote for ONM now standing for Official News Maker-uppers.

Amir0x, I respect your opinion and I am perfectly fine with people posting criticism about games in threads. I actually like it, makes for good discussion. But when it is worded like that in the sequel's confirmation ( :( ) thread, then yeah it one of those herewego.gif type things that I can't help but roll my eyes at. That's where is passes the line of "constructively" discussing something into something else entirely.

Just think it should of been worded less...trolly.... or put in the RS2 OT. That's all. But I understand. Peace man.

Edit:

Amir0x said:

Like this. :D

hokahey

Conduit and Red Steel 2 were terrible? They were average, but far from terrible. They weren't Gears of Halos Of Honors Part 65, but fun little games none the less.

And apparantly the games have done well enough to warrant franchise continuation by their respective creators and publishers, so why the OMGZZ!?

Top Bottom