• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit CEO Pao steps down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

Ellen Pao is stepping down as Reddit CEO, a move that comes amid mounting pressure after a series of management mishaps that has angered its very vocal online community. Steve Huffman, Reddit co-founder and original CEO, is taking over immediately.

In an interview this afternoon, Pao said the departure was a “mutual decision” with the board, due in part to different views on growth potential. “They had a more aggressive view than I did,” she said.

When I asked her directly if she was fired, Pao laughed and said, “Thanks for getting right to the point,” after which Reddit board member and Y Combinator head Sam Altman answered more definitively, “no.”

Perhaps it is a matter of semantics, as it seemed that Pao — who has been interim CEO at the company — was inevitably headed for the exit after the ire over the firing of a support staffer for the site’s many moderators morphed and mutated into a loud and sometime vile calls for her ouster.

http://recode.net/2015/07/10/pao-out-as-reddit-ceo-co-founder-huffman-takes-over/

Ms. Pao said she ultimately left after a difference in opinion over Reddit’s growth. The board asked her to show higher user growth in the next six months than she believed Reddit could attain.
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/07/10/ellen-pao-is-out-as-ceo-of-reddit/

McDougles

Reddit wins, Redditors lose (in the long run).

Lesson learned; leave enough racist and sexist messages and you can get anything you want.

Wreav

Banned
What is this?

1422066483807.png

Arkeband

Banned
I wonder if she's regretting taking the weekend off to talk to news organizations instead of... the people who keep her site relevant.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The OP suggests that the board wanted to make money more aggressively and she stepped down because she disagreed. The main criticism against Pao is that she is making decisions that are bad for the community in order to make the site more money. Unless you think the explanation is a lie, isn't this "bad" even if you don't like her, because her board-appointed replacement would be even more aggressive with trying to make money?

Fireblend

Banned
Whoa, I thought everything was settled over there, like it was just a small group who hated her.

Yeah, a small group composed of the most active contributors, moderators and the people who keep reddit running basically for free.

I don't agree with the angry mob-like way the community reacted to recent events, but the way Pao and reddit handled matters, well, it was less than optimal.

entremet

To be fair to her she was interim CEO and it was a poor choice. She had no business experience.

The racist ad hominems were pathetic, however.

Guevara

The OP suggests that the board wanted to make money more aggressively and she stepped down because she disagreed. The main criticism against Pao is that she is making decisions that are bad for the community in order to make the site more money. Unless you think the explanation is a lie, isn't this "bad" even if you don't like her?
Personally, I don't exactly take what Pao says too seriously. The board knew she had to go, they are being magnanimous by acting like it's a mutual decision here.

The board and Pao just have differing opinions on the future or Reddit.

The board would prefer for the site to grow instead of burn in flames. Just a different way to look at running a business.

Reddit's response to the banning of the fatpeoplehate and related subs was totally unreasonable. Everybody started foulmouthing her. But it was actually a good move (the banning of those subs).

Then Victoria got fired without any explanation. A completely retarded and out-of-touch move. So the hate for Pao grew. In the end, the fatpeoplehate-fans got what they want. But that's not exactly a part of Reddit that you want to encourage. So it's an odd situation.

aeolist

Banned
i can't wait for the site to continue fucking up so the insane part of the user base can concoct further crazed authoritarian conspiracy theories

Apath

Reddit's response to the banning of the fatpeoplehate and related subs was totally unreasonable. Everybody started foulmouthing her. But it was actually a good move (the banning of those subs).

Then Victoria got fired without any explanation. A completely retarded and out-of-touch move. So the hate for Pao grew. In the end, the fatpeoplehate-fans got what they want. But that's not exactly a part of Reddit that you want to encourage. So it's an odd situation.
Yeah, I am pretty torn on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom