• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit [verified] User shares NX info: x86 Architecture, Second screen support etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

We don't even know what the PS4K can do.

Chill.

It doesn't even matter if the PS4K is massively better. It doesn't even matter if the NX ends up the same as the PS4. All that matters is Nintendo bring out a console that keeps Nintendo lovers happy and can also play 3rd party games. All this it may be more powerful or PS4K will be means nothing.

-Horizon-

Just the bit about how we're so hung up about architectures.
ok, thanks for clarifying that shrew, I just got really confused for a moment there >.<

They probably want to give reasons to upgrade but yes.
it would suck if I couldn't transfer my character over (leveling up sucks, especially ranking and rolling for abilities) but I have to wonder if its worth possibly delaying the game further out when it could've been a launch bundle or something.

Hahaha, oh damn dude. Yea....idk, NX might sell better than PS4K, still a lot of OG PS4 users out there. Good burn on him though!
no way will devs burn the 40+ million current users
I don't want to be hyperbolic but that will seriously not end well if they just up and went "nah, we're doing ps4k only from now on". I think the ps4k (just based on the rumors that I've read through) will end up like the vita in terms of who its selling to namely the hardcore sony fans.

Sterok

Mario Maker is a make once and sell forever game without much sequel potential. I always saw it as one of the most likely games to be ported. Zelda is for launch and to recoup costs. We're not getting a new Smash for awhile, so this would take care of that. Splatoon (which I was always the most skeptical of for these four) would be for Japan. All of these games have specific reasons to be ported beyond just selling the game a little more.

GWX

Excited for Zelda NX, of course. Smash 4 NX is a big maybe to me, if the launch lineup is strong enough I won't bother. Splatoon NX I'd buy out of principle, but what I want really is a sequel. Mario Maker I wouldn't bother, to be honest, as I fail to see (at least in the dark as we are right now) how much they'd improve it, since it's pretty great and feature-complete as it is on the Wii U right now.

FZZ

Banned
But that's just 10k talking about lcgeek's post.
And there was a range of 15-30%

I like it. The anime is kind of on hold now, the manga is still going on though. Lots of cooking action lol.

Always be conservative with Nintendo. Always.

I feel as though most posters quoting me weren't here for WUST. And my post is in no way inflammatory like some of the responses I'm getting are indicating.

PS4k rumors are indicating a minimum 2x increase in GPU performance. 30% is still nothing. And if the Xbox Pi or whatever it's gonna be called launches as well Nintendo will be in the exact same situation. Shit is eerily feeling like Wii U part 2. The benefit (hopefully) is that at the very least architecture will be shared. Of course this is all conjecture.

Hope I'm wrong but unless there have been serious structural and cultural changes in nintendos hardware philosophy and catering more to 3rd parties then I won't hold my breath. Until we get more info all we have are people's words and none of this sounds amazing to me, in fact it's fairly lackluster.

Why no Mario Kart 8 remaster?
Anyway, time to preorder NX!

Mario Kart 8's been out for awhile. I'd guess that Mario Kart 9 will probably be ready to ship by next year.

On the other hand, who knows if there's even a team for Smash right now, and Splatoon and Mario Maker are very recent.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Are we looking at a $400-$500 system here with those specs? A price like that could hamstring this thing right off the bat.
FZZ said:
PS4k rumors are indicating a minimum 2x increase in GPU performance. 30% is still nothing. And if the Xbox Pi or whatever it's gonna be called launches as well Nintendo will be in the exact same situation. Shit is eerily feeling like Wii U part 2. The benefit (hopefully) is that at the very least architecture will be shared. Of course this is all conjecture.

Oh please. I respect your opinion, but come on--the bolded above is an absurd statement. This is nothing even close to that. Wii U was vastly underpowered at launch and couldn't even handle some 360 ports well.

Neoxon

So smash NX newcomers & veterans:

Inkling
Chorus boyz
Female link

Wolf
Snake
Ice climbers
I kinda doubt that we'll get any new characters (as stated before, I'm of the belief that Smash 4 on the NX Platform will just be a straight port of the Wii U + all of the DLC). And even then, Female Link would just be an alternate costume for Link, which wouldn't work since Smash 4 Link is Twilight Princess Link.

diaspora

ctrl+F: "metroid"

i9Z4egW.gif

KingWool

Banned
If my digital Wii U games [including Retail] dont work on NX, I won't be getting one until they are very very very discounted / cheap.

ozfunghi

"But if the CPU is 15-30% stronger than PS4 as alluded to by LCGeek, than the GPU would need to match that bump in order to not bottleneck (Nintendo hates their bottlenecks)."

But the CPU wàs the bottleneck in the PS4/XBO... so beefing up both CPU + RAM + GPU will once again make the CPU the bottleneck..?

Seil

That's a port...? Backwards compatibility means you can throw in a wii u disc and it'll just work.

I think that's their point. Wii U already has Wii BC, so a remaster of Twilight Princess was unnecessary. Saying that a remaster doesn't necessarily mean no BC.

Sanpunkan

If my digital Wii U games [including Retail] dont work on NX, I won't be getting one until they are very very very discounted / cheap.

You understand if a game doesn't run on the system because of an architecture switch, having a digital version won't help right?

Banned
Lol is that Emily rogers trying to take 10k's info as here own? That's really lame.
Umm dude, I regularly talk to Emily and she knew about this months ago. She just wanted to wait from more sources. I also wanted to hear it from more people. She's way more legit than me. She's an insider. I'm just some guy who did some investigating.

MK_768

I think that's their point. Wii U already has Wii BC, so a remaster of Twilight Princess was unnecessary. Saying that a remaster doesn't necessarily mean no BC.

Hmm true. However, I feel like the TP remaster was a desperate attempt to have a Wii U game come out early this year.

georly

I meant that despite the Wii U having BC with the Wii we still got a wii port/enhanced port/remake

Big difference in remaking a 10 year old game vs a 1-2 year old game.

Original twilight princess also wasn't HD, and wind waker HD was a big hit for them. Why would you port smash 4 to NX if you can just throw in your Wii U copy and it works? Smash 4 was 1080p 60fps, so it's not like it would gain a performance boost for being on NX.

Hydrus

Umm dude, I regularly talk to Emily and she knew about this months ago. She just wanted to wait from more sources. I also wanted to hear it from more people. She's way more legit than me. She's an insider. I'm just some guy who did some investigating.

Ok, lol. I just saw the tweets above, and thought "how convenient". Just didn't want to see anyone getting jacked.

Clefargle

Cool to hear, I'm glad you are finding similar stuff to her. I usually trust her info as it seems she doesn't try to leverage it for popularity. I'm really glad you shared this info with us and screw anyone who whines or decries any of the leakers. Y'all are providing a public service.

MK_768

It's actually sad you have to say this, but yeah I remember you saying to were talking to her a couple days ago.

People are just very quick to shit on Emily without actually thinking

ozfunghi

Maybe Thraktor, Blue or other immortals could give their opinon on what GPU we could be looking at for around or above 2TF?

Edit: Nevermind..

GPU

Best case scenario:
24 GCN 1.2 CUs @ 800MHz (~2.5 Tflops)

Very good case scenario:
20 GCN 1.2 CUs @ 700MHz (~1.8 Tflops)

Middle case scenario:
14 GCN 1.2 CUs @ 650MHz (~1.2 Tflops)

Not very good case scenario:
10 GCN 1.2 CUs @ 600MHz (~800 Gflops)

Worst case scenario:
16-core Mali T760 @ 700MHz (~400 Gflops)

RAM

Best case scenario:
4GB HBM - 512 GB/s
12GB (LP)DDR4 - ~60 GB/s

Very good case scenario:
2GB HBM - 256 GB/s
8GB DDR4 - ~40 GB/s

Middle case scenario:
8GB GDDR5 - 190 GB/s
or
8GB LPDDR4 - 100-120 GB/s

Not very good case scenario:
32MB SRAM - 200 GB/s
8GB DDR3 - 17 GB/s

Worst case scenario:
4GB LPDDR3 - 30 GB/s

Obviously there's a pretty big gap between best and worst case scenarios, but that largely reflects how little we actually know about Nintendo's plans.

Regarding the people who are asking why Nintendo would use a CPU that's more powerful than PS4 and XBO but use a GPU that's less powerful than either, there's a pretty simple reason: any of the default options for the CPU would be more powerful than the Jaguar cores used in PS4 and XBO. The Puma, A72 and even A57 are all more capable cores than Jaguar are, and are typically organised in quad-core clusters, making an eight-core configuration the most likely (as a quad core wouldn't really allow them to compete at all, and a six-core config would save very little die space and cause an awkward asymmetry when it comes to cache). Even if they only went with the "not very good case scenario" for the GPU in order to reduce cost and power consumption, an 8-core A72 configuration doesn't take up that much die space and can consume very little power. There's not really a whole lot of point in intentionally crippling the CPU just to achieve a "more balanced" system.

My only concerns with possibly having 4 ports in the launch window is how many resources were used that could have been working on new experiences that I don't already own. As long as these were quick to develop and we still get plenty of new games, I think it increases the value proposition for those that didn't own a Wii U and those that did one a Wii I are likely to pick up a Wii U anyway.

Schnozberry

"But if the CPU is 15-30% stronger than PS4 as alluded to by LCGeek, than the GPU would need to match that bump in order to not bottleneck (Nintendo hates their bottlenecks)."

But the CPU wàs the bottleneck in the PS4/XBO... so beefing up both CPU + RAM + GPU will once again make the CPU the bottleneck..?

Depends. A marginal increase over the PS4 GPU might actually mean less compute units with a more efficient GCN part.

Because if they're smart, they'll have MK9 launching spring 2017 alongside the launch of the handheld, playable on the console as well. No MK8 remaster is good news, imo.

Yup, Smash, Mario Maker, and Splatoon all work because they are basically long-term service games for Nintendo, with a strong community emphasis. Makes sense to build off them as their communities are already established, rather than starting from scratch. If they actually are trying cross-play for the latter two, that is especially awesome and solidifies them as solid choices.

Mario Kart is a one-per-console affair. It benefits more strongly from a ground-up release than those three. They could put it on VC if they wanted to though (as they did with SMK, 64, DS...)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I find it absolutely bizarre that nobody knows anything about the handheld at this point. The only way I see this working out is if it's so similar to/tied in to the console that there isn't much that needs to be known by devs.

Xenoblade said:
I'm very fortunate to know what the gimmick of the NX is. I suspect 10k knows also, but I would be very surprised if he reveals it.

I don't want to be spoiled on this. I want to see Nintendo reveal it themselves.

Neoxon

I still don't think a Splatoon port is the best idea, especially if the sequel is coming next year. If they add anything substantial to the port, it'd only limit the franchise's potential growth for the sequel. I'm worried that such a port may limit Splatoon's ability to grow going forward.

So, with a Smash Bros port does that mean there is going to be any extra content besides the DLC being on the disc? I really need some more Final Fantasy tracks...

That has nothing to do with backwards compatibility.

I don't think you understood my post

Yup, Smash, Mario Maker, and Splatoon all work because they are basically long-term service games for Nintendo, with a strong community emphasis. Makes sense to build off them as their communities are already established, rather than starting from scratch. If they actually are trying cross-play for the latter two, that is especially awesome and solidifies them as solid choices.

Mario Kart is a one-per-console affair. It benefits more strongly from a ground-up release than those three.

Smash is a one-per-console affair too! It literally uses the same model as MK does. And Splatoon I could very much see being as well

Banned
Been following the thread but haven't had much reason to post. Just wanted to ask if you know, or can share, and information on whether we will get a reveal prior to e3?
It's in the post. I don't know if that May 9th date is real. It sounds fake, but some sources said they'd look into it.

Hydrus

It's actually sad you have to say this, but yeah I remember you saying to were talking to her a couple days ago.

People are just very quick to shit on Emily without actually thinking

I don't know who Emily Rogers is, or care. Wasn't trying to shit on anybody. Just thought someone was trying to take 10k's info as her own.

Clefargle

So, with a Smash Bros port does that mean there is going to be any extra content besides the DLC being on the disc? I really need some more Final Fantasy tracks...

I would assume we get new characters, modes, stages, ect. I also want it to run at 4K but that might be a little wishful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom