• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie expects Wii U’s killer app to be social networking

Pociask

*walks onto stage*

NINTENDO OF AMERICA PRESIDENT, REGGIE FIL-AIME

"We all know that you're waiting to see what Nintendo Wii U is about. Here at Nintendo, we're excited too. We've seen the potential that Wii U represents, and we believe that when you see it for yourself, you'll see that potential too. And one of the most crucial components of Wii U, and how that potential is realized, is this."

*holds up sensor bar*

"I'm happy to be the first to present: the Wii U Sensor Bar."

*dangles cable*

"And let me draw your attention first and foremost to this: the Wii U Sensor Bar Cable. Equipped with the Sensor Bar Cable, the Wii U Sensor Bar will plug in to every Wii U console, this holiday season. And with the Wii U Sensor Bar, you'll be able to experience, for yourself, in your own home, what it's like to choose whether to place the Wii U Sensor Bar above your television. Or below your television. It's up to you. Up? Down? Your needs are first and foremost with the Wii U Sensor Bar."

*unwraps cable, lets it drop to stage*

"How the Wii U Sensor Bar Cable achieves that, is with this six foot length. Ready for the HD world out of the box, able to be placed above," *raises sensor bar over head* "or below," *lowers sensor bar to belt buckle* "even the largest full HD television set in your family room or home theater."

*tucks Wii U sensor bar into inner jacket pocket, spreads hands* "The magic behind the versatility of the Wii U Sensor Bar is the Sensor Bar Configuration Menu accessible through the Wii U Console itself. This menu enables you to define, entirely for yourself, whether the Wii U Sensor Bar is situated above," *raises hand over head* "or below," *lowers hands, spreads them again* "and it's something we'll be showing more of in the coming months."

*takes sensor bar out of pocket again, holds it up* "The Wii U Sensor bar, and Sensor Bar Cable, will be available on November 18th, this holiday season, when Wii U arrives in stores nationwide."

Epic. Only quibble, Reggie won't do this on stage - this will be the last Nintendo Direct before the launch of the Wii U.

I said it month ago... Miiverse is a bigger system seller than the Pad. And its propably Wii Us true "unique feature".

I said it in one specific chat and not on GAF. Im not insane, lol

But not that Reggie sees it that way too, yay to me :D

People who don´t even know Miiverse should really watch the Pre E3 Nintendo direct... But well bitching without having seen or heard about it seems far more appropriate to some *smh*

majik13

*walks onto stage*

NINTENDO OF AMERICA PRESIDENT, REGGIE FIL-AIME

"We all know that you're waiting to see what Nintendo Wii U is about. Here at Nintendo, we're excited too. We've seen the potential that Wii U represents, and we believe that when you see it for yourself, you'll see that potential too. And one of the most crucial components of Wii U, and how that potential is realized, is this."

*holds up sensor bar*

"I'm happy to be the first to present: the Wii U Sensor Bar."

*dangles cable*

"And let me draw your attention first and foremost to this: the Wii U Sensor Bar Cable. Equipped with the Sensor Bar Cable, the Wii U Sensor Bar will plug in to every Wii U console, this holiday season. And with the Wii U Sensor Bar, you'll be able to experience, for yourself, in your own home, what it's like to choose whether to place the Wii U Sensor Bar above your television. Or below your television. It's up to you. Up? Down? Your needs are first and foremost with the Wii U Sensor Bar."

*unwraps cable, lets it drop to stage*

"How the Wii U Sensor Bar Cable achieves that, is with this six foot length. Ready for the HD world out of the box, able to be placed above," *raises sensor bar over head* "or below," *lowers sensor bar to belt buckle* "even the largest full HD television set in your family room or home theater."

*tucks Wii U sensor bar into inner jacket pocket, spreads hands* "The magic behind the versatility of the Wii U Sensor Bar is the Sensor Bar Configuration Menu accessible through the Wii U Console itself. This menu enables you to define, entirely for yourself, whether the Wii U Sensor Bar is situated above," *raises hand over head* "or below," *lowers hands, spreads them again* "and it's something we'll be showing more of in the coming months."

*takes sensor bar out of pocket again, holds it up* "The Wii U Sensor bar, and Sensor Bar Cable, will be available on November 18th, this holiday season, when Wii U arrives in stores nationwide."

Nov 18th cant come soon enough. Sensor Bar configuration menu in HD!!!!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Epic. Only quibble, Reggie won't do this on stage - this will be the last Nintendo Direct before the launch of the Wii U.

A fair point. It's just that I could see this actually being an E3 presentation, given how much they've trivialized E3.

I thought social networking took off because it wasn't on a closed platform and its a idle hands thing you can do anywhere. I can see why it would be a killer app on a phone in that case (or a contact that gives you bandwidth to do so...as it shows data is the new texts) but buying a console for...I guess if its like "all my friends only talk about Miiverse but I need a WiiU to join in." they might get a few punters paying $250 while using the service on a PC and thinking "wouldn't this be fun if I could play games too" which I guess is phase 2...

I'll be right back, my pager is going off...

wsippel

Banned
Come on, guys, you're reading too much into it, it's Reggie, he would try to hype the Sensor bar calibration screen if you gave him a chance.
I think he's dead serious. Miiverse is Nintendo's online system, and due to the fact than Nintendo is late to the game, it follows more contemporary design paradigms and therefore happens to be more social network than AIM (what Xbox Live and PSN basically are). That's a pretty damn important aspect of a gaming platform. Nobody would argue that Live isn't or wasn't a "killer app" for Microsoft.

It might take two weeks before the "I just got my launch day wii U, yay!" comments to show up, though.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42811710&postcount=98

RedSwirl

I think that Nintendo at least has the right idea, and they're going forward with it before Sony and Microsoft can. I think with what we've seen with the Steam Community, self-contained social networks is what we're gonna see across consoles next gen. If Nintendo can get people invested in MiiVerse the way Xbox gamers are invested in Live, that could be the key to getting consumers to buy Wii U versions of multiplatform games.

If a game like Black Ops 2 for instance is heavily plugged into MiiVerse, it could at least create a really different social experience from what you get playing it on Live. I for one would hope it utilizes something like Mario Kart 7's communities, which I think Nintendo confirmed will be system-wide on the Wii U.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
And I highly doubt anyone would buy a wiiU for miiverse. Doesnt mean they wont use and enjoy it

Twitter and Facebook are on multiple different devices including smartphones. MiiVerse is exclusive to WiiU. I'm not saying Miiverse is going to be a killer app, but Facebook and Twitter being offered on the Vita (or in fact anything) sure as hell isn't.

People using and enjoying something does not equal a killer app. Nobody in their right mind bought, or iss going to buy, a Vita just to run Facebook and Twitter. That's like saying Netflix is a killer app for the 3DS.

Huff

Banned
Twitter/Facebook is on multiple different devices including smartphones. MiiVerse is exclusive to WiiU. I'm not saying Miiverse is going to be a killer app, but Facebook/Twitter offered on the Vita (or in fact anything now) sure as hell isn't. People using and enjoying something does not equal killer app. Nobody in their right mind bought/is going to buy Vita just to run Facebook/Twitter. That's like saying Netflix is a killer app for the 3DS.

I don't disagree with any of this.

Twitter and Facebook are on multiple different devices including smartphones. MiiVerse is exclusive to WiiU. I'm not saying Miiverse is going to be a killer app, but Facebook and Twitter being offered on the Vita (or in fact anything) sure as hell isn't.

People using and enjoying something does not equal a killer app. Nobody in their right mind bought, or iss going to buy, a Vita just to run Facebook and Twitter. That's like saying Netflix is a killer app for the 3DS.

Miiverse is NOT exclusive to WiiU.

You can access it from any web browser just like Facebook and twitter

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think that Nintendo at least has the right idea, and they're going forward with it before Sony and Microsoft can. I think with what we've seen with the Steam Community, self-contained social networks is what we're gonna see across consoles next gen.

Sony's already stepped down this path on Vita. Every game on Vita gives you a personalised twitter-style 'feed' around that game featuring people on your friends list. However there seems to be slightly more communication freedom in Wii-U's approach at the moment, and I think that would make a difference. I rarely check the feeds on my Vita games because the messages on the top level are game-generated - any user messages are a level down, as comments on the game-generated messages, and people don't seem to go there. (The lack may also be down to activity of course...a large userbase and a busy friends list will make for busier feeds). I think the idea of feeding in people not on your friends list but who are geographically close is also a good improvement Wii-U's making.

Skiesofwonder

Miiverse is NOT exclusive to WiiU.

You can access it from any web browser just like Facebook and twitter

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no point in accessing Miiverse unless you have a WiiU. Maybe when the 3DS App comes out that will change....

So yes you can access Miiverse through other sources, but it is still exclusive to WiiU users (at the moment).

D-e-f-

Banned
Considering social networking is decidedly moving to handheld devices, why would any one buy a Wii U to network on the TV?

Because it's not your regular all-encompassing social network. It's tied to the specific games. That's the whole point of the thing. You're one of those people Reggie talks about when he says some may not understand the thing until they try it out and see it in action.

Still haven't heard confirmation that games like NSMB U or Smash Bros. can be played online with the system in any way resembling the advancements in internet gaming in the past 5-10 years, and that is a deal breaker for me.

NMSBU, like NSMBWii is a couch co-op game. There is no online mode. Smash Bros had online play on the Wii.

Black Ops 2 and ACIII are out at launch, both with online multiplayer modes as a core part of the package.

I don't see the issue.

I haven't even looked at the Street pass stuff on my 3DS. I don't even know what it is.

... err ... and why don't you just ...I don't know ... do it?

Miiverse is going to be like Dark Souls isn't it? That's my interpretation of it.

No. It can be used for that (the messaging feature). It's not all there is. It's the whole online community thing. Activity feeds with messages for every game, sharing content, screenshots, etc seeing which games are currently played the most by your friends, people from your area, etc.

that's what Sony said about Home

So how does it relate to this?

How is this gonna help 3rd party games sell on the WiiU?
If done well... easily

"Oh look bob and Terry are playing Bayonetta.. I wonder what that is"
*Link to download demo*

"Oh interesting, I bet junior might like it for his birthday"

It's not just that though. What you described is already happening on Xbox Live and PSN.

It shows you which games people actually play the most. Game icons are surrounded by Miis showing they're currently playing that game which highlights what's actually popular.

If PS Home has proven anything it's that the only people who use this kind of social networking on their videogame console are scumbags and crazy people. And lots of furries.

Home is an unnecessarily complicated optional software (that takes ages to boot up for me, btw) where you have to walk around and do inconsequential stuff.

Miiverse is the basic interface overlaying everything you do on the system.

Question really is will it make any difference? You can access traditional social networking from any device, Miiverse is going to be a WiiU-only club (with an admittedly large install base eventually), will it really compete with currently existing social networking and digital media?.

You're completely missing the point. This is not what Miiverse is or wants to be. Miiverse is all about talking about the games or doing stuff connected to the games. This isn't Facetendo or whatever. Plus you'll eventually have access to it from your browser and your 3DS. So it's not a Wii U only thing.

Not when there a mandatory approval time spanning weeks for those posts. Displays a fundamental lack of understanding of what makes a social network tick.

DOA unless that changes.

Yay for misinformation. There is no approval time. Your posts only go through a reviewing process if they have been flagged by another user. Random posts go through an auto filter and that's it.

I love it when people only read the scandalous bad news but the clarification that comes later gets completely ignored.

I would say it is Nintendo Exclusive the plan is to give access to it on anything that can surf the web in the future. At launch it will only be WiiU but www.miiverse.com is the future

I just wonder if the 3DS version will allow 3DS software chats or will it all be focused on the WiiU library discussions.

Stupid question, but did they announce how IMs are going to work?

My sis and I had a good idea. I would want a pop up message with a pic of your Mii/avatar and the text to the side a la the Starfox series.
Weird gibberish not included though

star-fox-64-do-a-barrel-roll-250X2501.jpeg

Kinda like this, but your friends pic where peppy is. And maybe have in the corner of the screen like psn

I'm confused... why would anyone post to Miiverse for help with a game waste time waiting for responses rather than taking 2 seconds to google it or go to gamefaqs?

same reason most of us ask questions on neogaf rather than just using google... this is our social circle so we want to hear our friends experiences and share ours

My sis and I had a good idea. I would want a pop up message with a pic of your Mii/avatar and the text to the side a la the Starfox series.

This is where you lost me.

wsippel

Banned
Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no point in accessing Miiverse unless you have a WiiU. Maybe when the 3DS App comes out that will change....

So yes you can access Miiverse through other sources, but it is still exclusive to WiiU users (at the moment).
There is a point. You can for example ask people if they want to play with you tonight from your smartphone, same friends list and all. Or to give another example: You're at a store, see a recently released game that looks interesting, so you check Miiverse via your smartphone to see if there's an active community, if your friends are playing the game, and what people think.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Kinda like this, but your friends pic where peppy is. And maybe have in the corner of the screen like psn

But the weird giberish is the best thing about that. Also they should do that when you speak with a video of you as your speaking it SC campaign style.

Skiesofwonder

I would say it is Nintendo Exclusive the plan is to give access to it on anything that can surf the web in the future. At launch it will only be WiiU but www.miiverse.com is the future

I just wonder if the 3DS version will allow 3DS software chats or will it all be focused on the WiiU library discussions.

Like I posted above (I'll quote it below), this what I wanted to know.

So can only WiiU owners join the Miiverse? Will the 3DS App bring Miiverse integration into the 3DS OS? And will just regular Nintendo and gaming fans who don't own a WiiU be able to join?

This is where you lost me.

Sorry, in the original Starfox, when the characters spoke, they spoke in gibberish (think like the adults in peanuts).

But the weird giberish is the best thing about that. Also they should do that when you speak with a video of you as your speaking it SC campaign style.

Exactly, also was being a smartass. It would be cute though

No I mean "no gibberish" is where you lost my support.

See above

Skiesofwonder

There is a point. You can for example ask people if they want to play with you tonight from your smartphone, same friends list and all. Or to give another example: You're at a store, see a recently released game that looks interesting, so you check Miiverse via your smartphone to see if there's an active community, if your friends are playing the game, and what people think.

Yes, obviously there is a point to access if from other sources. But can you access it (or is there even a point to) if you DON'T own a WiiU?

D-e-f-

Banned

miiverse9nclw.jpg

nintendo-wii-u-miiver3vfz2.jpg

why don't you just watch the video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AkPdAWfFjI&feature=player_detailpage#t=711s

you should also watch the Pre-E3 ND again :)

Hoodbury

For some reason I have a sneaking suspicion mii-verse is going to look quite a bit different than what was shown at that pre e3 ND. You'd think they would have been showing it a bit more at all these events if that was going to be the design. Plus the conflicting descriptions different Nintendo guys used, where some said it is the first thing you see when you turn your Wii U on, while others saying it might be a click to get to, etc.

With them being so secretive about it, I have a feeling it went through a total complete revamp.

Like I posted above (I'll quote it below), this what I wanted to know.

So can only WiiU owners join the Miiverse? Will the 3DS App bring Miiverse integration into the 3DS OS? And will just regular Nintendo and gaming fans who don't own a WiiU be able to join?

I think you got it right. You'll need an account anyway to use it and the only place to get that account is a WiiU there are multiple accounts for one box so if you have a friend that has a WiiU I imagine if you only have your iPhone 5 without a WiiU you could ask your friend to host an account for you on his box and give you the user/pass to that account but this seems silly to me just to use a social network. So WiiU required looks to be very good logic to stand on.

Skiesofwonder

But isn't that like group chat? I meant in game....

Look at the videos of NSMBU. Miiverse manifests itself in different ways in different games. In Mario it's messages on the overworld. In ZombiU it's messages on walls and stuff in the game.

Also, because it's a built in OS function you can always access if by pausing the game

They are already doing community forums and game groups with Steam. I don't see the appeal of a Nintendo service that may not even match multiplayer features on Xbox Live or simple forum features of something like Steam.

Please, list the features that the Wii U doesn't have. The biggest omission with the 3DS compared to XBL was the lack of chatting (IM, video, voice, etc) in your friends list which the Wii U has. So really, what is it missing?

Someone should make a Miiverse thread with videos of everything we know. I wouldn't be surprised to see people in this thread later complaining about still having "23243243 logged on" despite that never being the case

jmizzal

I dont buy nintendo consoles for this shit. Give me games and keep all this social network shit where it belongs.

Sorry but when Nintendo was just doing this with Gamecube it only sold just over 20 mil, so no they are not gonna cater to you. They will have great games and other features, you dont have to use them it you dont.

But isn't that like group chat? I meant in game....

in the video the guy posted his question about the Zombie boss publicly
he reads the replies to his posts... some dude at a Cafe checking Miiverse on his mobile calls him up to brag that he will be right over to help him beat the boss. He sees OctoG123 has the answer
he clicks to get back into the paused game and tries what OctoG123 said and fails.

He then clicks on OctoG123's Mii reply to call him on Video Chat for one on one convo.

Can you IM instead? We have not seen this as a feature yet. Things look public right now except Video Chat

Look at the videos of NSMBU. Miiverse manifests itself in different ways in different games. In Mario it's messages on the overworld. In ZombiU it's messages on walls and stuff in the game.

Also, because it's a built in OS function you can always access if by pausing the game

Ah, quirky!

I still like my idea better.

see5harp

Please, list the features that the Wii U doesn't have. The biggest omission with the 3DS compared to XBL was the lack of chatting (IM, video, voice, etc) in your friends list which the Wii U has. So really, what is it missing?

Someone should make a Miiverse thread with videos of everything we know. I wouldn't be surprised to see people in this thread later complaining about still having "23243243 logged on" despite that never being the case

An invite/message/chat system that is standard across all games? I mean Steam isn't even doing that yet with games they label as using Steamworks. If they are making that sort of online experience then I apologize, not much has been shown as far as I knew.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I dont buy nintendo consoles for this shit. Give me games and keep all this social network shit where it belongs.

You can't please everyone.

The ongoing criticisms of Nintendo for five years, and the Wii by extension:

Nintendo doesn't "get" online.

Wii isn't "social" enough. It doesn't let me chat enough. Message well. "Connect".

Where's the interface? Why isn't everything online and accessible in-game?

I can't see what my friends are doing. I can't tell them what I'm doing easily.

I can't meet new people easily. There's no online community.

etc, etc

While it's dumb that Nintendo hasn't shown a comprehensive overview of the online interface and structure, it is also ironic that there's so much apathy and criticism directed at Nintendo for, basically, doing what almost everyone asked them to do for a generation.

They didn't just add "the onlines", they went overboard making an internal network, game-centric community hub, social up the wazhoo, with sharing of all kinds of stuff built in and centralized at the OS level (like screen shots, something with great potential).

see5harp

Miiverse is standard across all games. It's OS level and always runs in the background.

I wasn't even aware that Miiverse was the standard messaging system so that's how much in the loop I am. If they get third parties to use miiverse for the invite system, then that's awesome and is already better than what Sony has offered with Vita.

Top Bottom