• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie Fils-Aime on the Two Reasons Why Switch Won't Struggle Like Wii U Did

Best-selling new IP? What?

Did you forget Overwatch exists?

As of September, Splatoon had sold 4.57 million copies on an install base of 13 million units, that's an absurd attach rate. It's also the best-selling new IP in Japan since Wii Sports. Overwatch existing doesn't mean Splatoon wasn't a massive success.

nynt9

As of September, Splatoon had sold 4.57 million copies on an install base of 13 million units, that's an absurd attach rate. It's also the best-selling new IP in Japan since Wii Sports. Overwatch existing doesn't mean Splatoon wasn't a massive success.

That being said, Splatoon is still not the best selling new IP of recent years. Splatoon and Overwatch can both be massive successes.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, in terms of Nintendo games, it's had the higher quality games than the Wii did.

I mean I liked the Wii U better as a whole than Wii, but mainly because I hated waggle and SD graphics in the HD era.

Wii still had better core games to me thoug. Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 (way better than 3D World IMO), 2 Zelda games I loved to just one late in life that's also on Switch, Metroid Prime 3 to no Metroid, Super Paper Mario, Wii Sports, etc.

It wasn't steller for me by anymeans, but still more than Wii U since I didn't care for W101, Bayonetta, Pikmin 3 (first I played in series) etc., and wasn't as enamored with Smash, Mario Maker etc. as some were.

Well one presumes this will eventually replace the 3DS, so it'll probably get a lot of third party support from Japan

Should get a lot of the Vita devs as well.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Nintendo cannot just abandon the 3DS... but I imagine there will be a LOT of crossover between the platforms. Also, I do not know HOW you people can get so many games in a year. I usually do not have the time to play more than 3-4 games in a year, and I've already got Horizon, and Persona 5 on my list from PS4.

I seriously considered getting one of these in March with Zelda, but I'm not sure I will be able to find one. Sold out everywhere online that I have looked - Amazon is probably the best bet. In the first year alone on Switch, I would want Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, and Mario. That is plenty enough for someone like me

I will probably end up picking it up this Fall around Black Friday, if I can actually get one...

And bring on the Wii U ports - I missed out on that system

If gaming time is limited as you suggest, it seems most gamers don't want the only games they have time to play being from Nintendo. If it's that or 3rd party games, the masses have spoken. Few will buy a Nintendo-only machine.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

Attach rate was not the claim. Best-sellng new IP was the claim, which was refuted.

Top Bottom