• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie Fils-Aime on the Two Reasons Why Switch Won't Struggle Like Wii U Did

"Wii U will go down as having fantastic content--the issue was as you look at the reality of exactly when the games were launched, there were large gaps in between," he said.
That is a surprisingly succinct and answer.

I hope they rectify that issue by porting all first party games quick and dirty to the Switch with an upgrade incentive, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Have to wonder if they showed all the heavy hitters for 2017 at the presentation, or if there's still reveals coming (at E3). I hope so, because otherwise that's a pretty dire year.

liquidtmd

Banned
Excluding the deliberately obtuse posters, I'd argue the sheer amount of GAF posters and threads debating multiple aspects of the Switch kinda implies their marketing still isn't exactly clear.

One guy in another thread I swear I thought was going to Jack Nicholson Shining style crazy by repeatedly typed 'THE SWITCH IS A HANDHELD END OF' posts when Reggie here himself is using the terminology 'console' which equally has big connotations for the masses

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I kinda agree. At least there's no "is this an upgrade for the wii" nonsense this time..

Just give me home console Pokemon breh

And not just that. I want a snap sequel!!!

Excluding the deliberately obtuse posters, I'd argue the sheer amount of GAF posters and threads debating multiple aspects of the Switch kinda implies their marketing still isn't exactly clear.

One guy in another thread I swear I thought was going to Jack Nicholson Shining style crazy by repeatedly typed 'THE SWITCH IS A HANDHELD END OF' when Reggie here himself is using the terminology 'console' which equally has big connotations for the masses

I don't think that guy's little ordeal over it being a handheld is a fault of Nintendo. It's probably best to just agree that it's a hybrid and leave it at that though I hope that all of their focus is the switch going forward and not some unannounced dedicated handheld.

That aside, when it comes to gaf, you really can't use that as a barometer for anything when it comes to public sentiment. We're regularly wrong and we have a lot of people who like to be obtuse for the sake of doing so. I remember people with the PS4 has no games rubbish.

The drought is real lol

Mario kart in April after launch
Splatoon 2 in August?
Mario in November?

what else is coming thats not coming out for other systems? Arms is TBD because I need to play it before I commit to something, just reading about it will not make me buy it

I will wait until E3 but I will peg a lot of those games at E3 for 2018 and a lot of those for 2017 might be ports which would be kinda a let down

TrojanAg

There was literally nothing for that first year on Wii U. Switch already looks much better on that front. It will take some time for it to reach its potential since it has to wait another year or two for whatever is left to release on the 3DS before the mobile side of development can pour it's full resources into making games for the Switch.

goldenpp72

I mean, that first year drought until Mario Odyssey tho?

We don't know if there is a drought, in comparison, Wii U launched with NSMBU and didn't get another relevant first party game until August with Pikmin 3. Supposedly, Switch will have a mainline huge Mario, Zelda, Splatoon 2, MK8 ported and i'm sure other stuff to be announced. It's not as big as it SHOULD be, but the Wii U opening year was pretty damn sad.

If you go back and look at the Wii U release schedule, there's no way it can get that bad.

First party:

New Super Mario Bros. U
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Published by Nintendo outside Japan)
Nintendo Land
Sing Party (North America and Europe only)

Lego City Undercover
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
New Super Luigi U
The Wonderful 101
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Wii Party U
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Super Mario 3D World
Animal Crossing Plaza
Art Academy: SketchPad
Pokémon Rumble U
Wii Fit U
Wii Sports Club
NES Remix
Dr. Luigi

Fury451

Banned
Well their first success was not naming it something so close to their last machine.

The Wii U seem to confuse a lot of people that I knew, especially without a numerical designation. Some just thought it was an upgraded version of the Wii.

phanphare

Banned
If that was such a compelling use case, why didn't the Vita light the world on fire? Vita also had the added benefit of Remote Play. The portable factor is attractive in Japan, but I'm not convinced this is the path to success for the west.

Also, I think Reggie has a different definition of "frequent" than I do.

because the Vita wasn't a home console that you could play anywhere?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Do people really think this has a strong first year line-up? It's most high profile games are:

Zelda
Splatoon
Mario Kart
Skyrim
Mario Odyssey

Zelda and Mario look great but 3 Wii-U ports, a 6 year old multiplat and a new Mario is hardly the stuff of legend.

Zedark

It is certainly true that the core philosophy of the switch is more clearly told to the masses.

Now back up that no droughts comment.

This. There are some good titles in the year, with Splatoon, Mario, Xenoblade and FE Warriors, but adding a huge game like Pokémon would mean the lineup makes up for the weak launch period and then some.

Do people really think this has a strong first year line-up? It's most high profile games are:

Zelda
Splatoon 2
Mario Kart
Skyrim
Mario Odyssey
FE Warriors
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Zelda and Mario look great but 2 Wii-U ports, a 6 year old multiplat and a new Mario and a Warriors game and a Xenoblade game is hardly the stuff of legend.
FTFY. Splatoon is a sequel, whether you think so or not, and the other two titles are officially mentioned to be coming in 2017, even if you might not yet trust that. We can beat down on them for delaying it imo.

orioto

Good Art™
Nintendo and their terrible vision of people's perception..

I know i'm hyped for it and i preordered.

i'm also prettty certain the damn thing has ZERO appeal to casual gamers. I do'nt see 12switch being a hit i'm sorry. It's just an obscure concept. People won't line up in stores to play it, no.

Ans as far as drough, i'm pretty sure their line up makes a lot of people think the console is already half-dead..

So yeah, people who want to be convinced, like me, or lots of others here did preordered it. But i really think outside of that circle, the appeal is non existent for now.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
They are communicating what it is well. It remains to be seen how many people see it as compelling though. As well as how the pricing of the console and accessories and paid online affect those judgements. As well as whether they can avoid droughts and do so with games that lead to successful console sales numbers rather than most titles only appealing to their remaining base.

First year isn't exactly reassuring on the frequency of big titles considering Zelda is multiplat and Mario Kart is a port, way too expensive one at that.

But 2018 will be the year that hopefully they deliver on the promise.

March: Zelda
April: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
May: ARMs?
June: ?
July: ?
August: ?
September: ?
October: ?
November: ?
December: ?

Insert Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey in 2 of those 7 unknown months.

Rime, Puyopuyo, Sonic Mania, Splatoon 2, Mario, Skyrim, Arms, Mario Kart 8, Arms, Zelda, Lego City Undercover, Rayman Legends, Snipperclippers. And probably though not confirmed Pokemon Stars, Smash Bros, Fire Emblem Warriors and or Fire Emblem revelations port, Rabbids/Mario RPG.

True Fire

First party:

New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land

Lego City Undercover
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
New Super Luigi U
The Wonderful 101
Wii Party U
Super Mario 3D World
Animal Crossing Plaza
Pokémon Rumble U
Wii Fit U
Wii Sports Club - Bowling
Wii Sports Club - Tennis
Wii Sports Club - Golf
NES Remix
Dr. Luigi

Why in the world did anyone buy a Wii U?

(I bought one after the 2014 Direct lol)

Hazu

March: Zelda
April: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
May: ARMs?
June: ?
July: ?
August: ?
September: ?
October: ?
November: ?
December: ?

Insert Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey in 2 of those 7 unknown months.

How about waiting until E3 before saying Nintendo won't have any game release until december?

oti

Banned

One guy in another thread I swear I thought was going to Jack Nicholson Shining style crazy by repeatedly typed 'THE SWITCH IS A HANDHELD END OF' posts when Reggie here himself is using the terminology 'console' which equally has big connotations for the masses

The USP of this thing is crystal clear. The more you know about video games, the less clear its USP becomes due to your knowledge and interpretation of the system.

Dysun

Hoping that E3 reveals alot of games this year, or else I don't buy that there won't be a drought. Appears to be a token effort with ports, half sequels and ARMS thus far

Dantis

MK8 Deluxe is April, ARMs shortly after, Splatoon 2 in Summer and Fire Emblem Musou is probably this year. Xenoblade is supposed to be this year but will most likely be delayed.

There's probably other stuff(Smash, Pokémon) yet to announce.

MK8 is a full price port of a Wii U title, which is ludicrous. ARMs looks terrible. Splatoon is a full price semi-sequel to a budget title which was free to play online.

I doubt FE will be out before Mario.

PBY

Banned
I've preordered one, but:

1) The concept does sell itself;

2) Says the WiiU had issues with content... Switch is going to launch with a shockingly bad lineup.

LordKano

First party:

New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land

Lego City Undercover
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
New Super Luigi U
The Wonderful 101
Wii Party U
Super Mario 3D World
Animal Crossing Plaza
Pokémon Rumble U
Wii Fit U
Wii Sports Club - Tennis
Wii Sports Club - Golf
NES Remix
Dr. Luigi

Did you seriously listed every sport from Wii sports separately

Zelda
Splatoon
Mario Kart
Skyrim
Mario Odyssey

Zelda and Mario look great but 3 Wii-U ports, a 6 year old multiplat and a new Mario is hardly the stuff of legend.

3 Wii U ports??? Splatoon 2 is an original game and Zelda is a cross gen game.

My counterpoint:

1) The system is more underpowered for the time than the Wii U was. The latter was a much bigger jump forward over the prior console.

2) Cost to buy the platform for multiplayer is much higher for most consumers than was the case for Wii U. No legacy support this time for older controllers that hardcore Nintendo gamers already have lying around.

aBarreras

MK8 is a full price port of a Wii U title, which is ludicrous. ARMs looks terrible. Splatoon is a full price semi-sequel to a budget title which was free to play online.

these games dont count because reasons!

First party:

New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land

Lego City Undercover
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
New Super Luigi U
The Wonderful 101
Wii Party U
Super Mario 3D World
Animal Crossing Plaza
Pokémon Rumble U
Wii Fit U
Wii Sports Club - Tennis
Wii Sports Club - Golf
NES Remix
Dr. Luigi
That's comparing the first 9 months of a system vs the first 14.
Fun Fact: The wait between the launch and the next game (LEGO CITY) was 4 months. Shouldn't be any big gap like that here.
My counterpoint:

1) The system is more underpowered for the time than the Wii U was. The latter was a much bigger jump forward over the prior console.

2) Cost to buy the platform for multiplayer is much higher for most consumers than was the case for Wii U. No legacy support this time for older controllers that hardcore Nintendo gamers already have lying around.
It's a pretty high end portable console.
Mulitplayer is available out of the box with no additional cost.

Busaiku

Splatoon was full price.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
How about waiting until E3 before saying Nintendo won't have any game release until december?

He wasn't saying that they won't release anything, he was saying we don't know.

phanphare

Banned
Rime, Puyopuyo, Sonic Mania, Splatoon 2, Mario, Skyrim, Arms, Mario Kart 8, Arms, Zelda, Lego City Undercover, Rayman Legends, Snipperclippers. And probably though not confirmed Pokemon Stars, Smash Bros, Fire Emblem Warriors and or Fire Emblem revelations port, Rabbids/Mario RPG.

yooka laylee too

and a shovel knight port which might be old news but fuck me I'm gonna buy it again

Hope you right Reggienator. This gen has been wank so I will be happy for Nintendo to show them all how it's done.

An exclusive library at least as good as the Gamecubes and I will be very happy!

Malakai

One platform partially fail due to a lack of content then you take the content from the failed platform to make sure your future platform does well; however, you don't launch the future platform with anything new (yes, I'm discounting 1 2 Switch) have at least 2 ports from the fail platform until Arms comes out god only knows when. Am I the only one mystified by this turn of events? That is a real winning strategy Nintendo.

goldenpp72

First party:

New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land

Lego City Undercover
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
New Super Luigi U
The Wonderful 101
Wii Party U
Super Mario 3D World
Animal Crossing Plaza
Pokémon Rumble U
Wii Fit U
Wii Sports Club - Tennis
Wii Sports Club - Golf
NES Remix
Dr. Luigi

Did you really just list individual Wii Sports events as if it was a game? That would be like mentioning Smash character dlc as a game.

reKon

Banned
Just get the entry level pricing right. That's the first step to success. I feel like the Switch would have been the perfect product to launch instead of the Wii U. They would have been able to get away with $350 pricing, maybe taking a slight loss and by now it would be $200.

Did you seriously listed every sport from Wii sports separately

That's comparing the first 9 months of a system vs the first 14.
Fun Fact: The wait between the launch and the next game (LEGO CITY) was 4 months. Shouldn't be any big gap like that here.

Did you really just list individual Wii Sports events as if it was a game? That would be like mentioning Smash character dlc as a game.

I pulled the list from Wikipedia. I wasn't intentionally listing them individually.

For the record, I was demonstrating how bad it was until 2014 rolled around.

Definitely more clear than Wii U's mess of a reveal.

Although someone should tell Nintendo they are launching a handheld with a feature to connect to the TV, not a home console with the bonus feature of a handheld mode, because it's an impressive bit of kit for a handheld but it's not so impressive as a home console.

Top Bottom