• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Nintendo will have a big E3 this year.

Pikmin 4
Super Smash Bros Switch
Pokémon Stars
Super Mario Maker Switch
Switch Sports/Fit
Animal Crossing Switch
Wario Ware Switch
Rhythm Tengoku Switch
Beyond Good and Evil 2
Rabbids x Mario
Retro's Game (Metroid or new IP)
Mother 3
Fire Emblem Switch
Camelot Mario Sports title

Those are most likely franchises we are going to see IMO of unannounced games/unseen games. I also trust that the rumor that Nintendo is producing a bunch of new IPs that go either the 1-2 Switch route or the Splatoon/Arms route is true. They seem to be really trying to be taking their younger talent more seriously after the success of Splatoon.

Kid Icarus
F Zero
Wave Race
Star Fox
Donkey Kong

These aren't games I would expect to see until late in a console generation when the user base is more established and Nintendo is more confident that they system can support lesser known titles sufficiently.

thefro

I'm expecting a fair amount of stuff. Literally everything playable at the Switch event will be released by E3 except Splatoon 2 (possibly with the exception of ARMS).

Also you need things for 2018 for people to look forward to.

I also expect there's at least some games from third party publishers that haven't been announced yet.

It's 100% from fans like me. They've been reviving old/dead franchises a fair bit in the last 10 or so years (Kid Icarus, Punch Out) and one of the major genres Nintendo consoles are missing is the Tomb Raider/Uncharted type adventure which a modern take on StarTropics could be an excellent entry in.

So while I'm sure it's not gonna happen I will always hope for it.

Yeah, it's the new "Nintendo should make a new mature Kid Icarus that's a God of War killer!"

I'm expecting a fair amount of stuff. Literally everything playable at the Switch event will be released by E3 except Splatoon 2 (possibly with the exception of ARMS).

Also you need things for 2018 for people to look forward to.

I also expect there's at least some games from third party publishers that haven't been announced yet.

Yeah, it's the new "Nintendo should make a new mature Kid Icarus that's a God of War killer!"
I expect a lot too, but there's a decent amount of stuff from the switch reveal that will be out after E3 such as Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, and Fire Emblem Warriors. And like you said maybe Arms too.

Man, with the Switch likely becoming a haven for JRPGs, how sweet would it be if Camelot made a new RPG for the systrm. I would love to see that.
I'm waiting for a new Golden Sun.

Federation Force was their first step in converting the Metroid universe into Halo. Samus I can't imagine will be master chief. But federation force is essentially ODST.
I am worried where they might take Metroid to make it more popular, but I feel like whatever they do better not impact the single player experience. I don't want multiplayer Metroid. Do whatever they want to the online multiplayer side, but leave single player Metroid alone.

Eh not really. I don't want any "mature" nonsense in StarTropics, I just think the setting and presentation of tropical ruins crossed with random alien stuff would make it feel similar exploration-wise to the Tomb Raider genre. Of course Mike Jones still needs his yo-yo and of course platform jumping will still be a huge part of it, so it will retain it's Nintendo charm for sure.

Man, with the Switch likely becoming a haven for JRPGs, how sweet would it be if Camelot made a new RPG for the systrm. I would love to see that.

I think Golden Sun has run its course unfortunately and I don't think they still have the same talent from those days anyways. They'll just continue to pump out mediocre sports titles. I wish they would go back to the GBC/GBA RPG versions of Mario Tennis/Golf but I've pretty much given up hope at this point.

I think Golden Sun has run its course unfortunately and I don't think they still have the same talent from those days anyways. They'll just continue to pump out mediocre sports titles. I wish they would go back to the GBC/GBA RPG versions of Mario Tennis/Golf but I've pretty much given up hope at this point.
I'd still love to see them try.

Camelot said they wanted to make a Donkey Kong 64-2. I wouldn't mind seeing them give it a try.

I don't want to get hyped but Super Metroid HD would be most welcome, same base engine but using 1080p overlaying new visuals.

A man can dream big.

So should be receiving my Switch today. First Nintendo console I have owned since the Gamecube.

Potentially several dumb/obvious questions coming up - What are people expecting from the virtual console? Basically I like the idea of being able to play the Wii and Wii U games I've missed. Will a bunch potentially be there on it's launch? Or will it be a case of "X game will be out next month" sort of deal? Obviously barring compatibility issues with no Wii motes etc (I assume the gyro on the Joycons can't replicate the lightbar-wii mote setup)

Edit: meant to post this in the Nintendo Switch Launch thread! Oh well

I do not have high hopes for a substantive classic back catalogue on Switch. Which is shocking for if the demand for the NES Classic Edition has proven anything, it's that consumers clearly want classic games at a reasonable price. Having NOTHING at launch, I mean not even an announcement of a platform or even a plan does not bode well.

I do not have high hopes for a substantive classic back catalogue on Switch. Which is shocking for if the demand for the NES Classic Edition has proven anything, it's that consumers clearly want classic games at a reasonable price. Having NOTHING at launch, I mean not even an announcement of a platform or even a plan does not bode well.

Nintendo literally said nothing about Virtual Console on Wii U until two months after launch. Their silence right now honestly means nothing. It'll probably launch around the time their online service does, since they've already announced certain classic games will be playable online.

My biggest ??? for E3 is exactly what is going on with Smash Switch.

How much new content is it getting? About the same as MK8DX? Will be slightly disappounited if so, but as long as we get my Ice Climbers back (and maybe Inklings and Chorus Kids), I consider the roster more or less complete aside from a Grass Pokémon (I happen to root for Decidueye because a playable Ghost would be badass).

In any case, I would like to know for sure what the status of this game is.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
My wishlist/predictions:

Since Mario Odyssey isn't out until late fall, Nintendo *HAS* to give us something MARIO to sustain us through the summer leading up to it.

Super Mario Maker Switch makes sense and has been rumored.

I'd be overjoyed at a Super Mario Galaxy Remastered Collection(1 and 2) for Switch.

Metroid has been missing for too long and it's about time to announce a new game for the Switch(preferably in the Prime style).

Pikmin 4

Star Fox. I'd settle for a Star Fox Zero Definitive Edition with upgraded graphics, new levels and control changes.

Super Smash Brothers Switch. Practically a given?!

Luigi's Mansion. I love the series and think the HD Rumble could really make the game fun.

Amiibo Crossing. A game based on Amiibos. Set up similar to Animal Crossing but with the ability to use ALL Amiibos to play your character in game.

Pilot Wings Switch. I love this series and hope it returns.

Super Turrican Resurrection. Factor 5 returns with an amazing 2D action/shooter only they can provide us! (Factor 5 recently regained the license and mentioned how easy the Switch is to develop on but did not mention a specific game...you do the math)

Monster Hunter Switch. It's time for Capcom to announce this already.

Axelay 2. Konami. It's been 24 years now...losing track of time.

And finally.....Nintendo starts the accolades trailer for Zelda: BOTW. It ends with "it's dangerous to go alone!" and we see another Link in different colored armor approaching you. "this time, take your friend!" and we see "2 Player local/internet co-op play coming 2018!"

Matbtz

Metroid isn't a hardware selling franchise.
Yeah but you keep missing my point, their focus in on the Switch now as it should be. Of course there still games to be release on 3DS. But if they develop, or any other studios, a Metroid game, as fans ask for a long time now, it should be on the Switch to expand the library and to help sell hardware.

I'm not saying a metroid game will sell millions of Switch but it can only be positive for the platform as long as they are willing to put money and time on the table.
For me it's only logical : New metroid on the new console and not on a 6 years old handheld (even with a 60M install base) but time will tell.
Yeah because didn't he just say it himself? Just like he keeps taking about Smash as if Smash is coming soon. I just want a Metroid Prime type of game. I don't think Retro is making it.

Yes I think he just said it himself, that was not a question so I believe it !

Neoxon

Pikmin 4
Super Smash Bros Switch
Pokémon Stars
Super Mario Maker Switch
Switch Sports/Fit
Animal Crossing Switch
Wario Ware Switch
Rhythm Tengoku Switch
Beyond Good and Evil 2
Rabbids x Mario
Retro's Game (Metroid or new IP)
Mother 3
Fire Emblem Switch
Camelot Mario Sports title

Those are most likely franchises we are going to see IMO of unannounced games/unseen games. I also trust that the rumor that Nintendo is producing a bunch of new IPs that go either the 1-2 Switch route or the Splatoon/Arms route is true. They seem to be really trying to be taking their younger talent more seriously after the success of Splatoon.

Kid Icarus
F Zero
Wave Race
Star Fox
Donkey Kong

These aren't games I would expect to see until late in a console generation when the user base is more established and Nintendo is more confident that they system can support lesser known titles sufficiently.
Let's pump the brakes a bit there, my friend. For starters, we just got Rhythm Heaven Megamix last summer (or the year before in Japan).

If they bring back Metroid in style, and the new Fire Emblem looks good, they've sold me a Switch.

(Persona 5 Crimson or similar Atlus project would also push me towards it, honestly.)

oti

Banned
Yeah but you keep missing my point, their focus in on the Switch now as it should be. Of course there still games to be release on 3DS. But if they develop, or any other studios, a Metroid game, as fans ask for a long time now, it should be on the Switch to expand the library and to help sell hardware.

I'm not saying a metroid game will sell millions of Switch but it can only be positive for the platform as long as they are willing to put money and time on the table.
For me it's only logical : New metroid on the new console and not on a 6 years old handheld (even with a 60M install base) but time will tell.

Yes I think he just said it himself, that was not a question so I believe it !

Here's a more realistic way to go about it.

Release 2D Metroid on 3DS and introduce the franchise to millions of people who only know Samus Aran as "that Smash lady". Build up brand awareness on a 65 million hardware base. Then, years later, release a full AAA Metroid on Switch. On a 15 million+ hardware base.

Or, as I've said before, release both of them. 2D Metroid on 3DS ans 3D Metroid on Switch. That would make you and NeoGAF happy but I don't think it's the best way to go for the brand. Maybe some kind of spin-off for Switch though. Dunno. 🤔

Gonna be a while for Animal Crossing Switch. New Leaf just got a big update and the mobile game will be released soon.

I don't really think there's a bandwidth issue here. The New Leaf update was done by EPD, who has teams currently working on Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey, and co-developing the mobile game. New Leaf itself though was developed by SPD, whose last major game was Splatoon in 2015 and previous major releases were in 2012 (Nintendo Land and New Leaf). They're definitely working on something that should be announced soon, and given that New Leaf was in 2012 and the main series skipped Wii U altogether, I think it's reasonable to expect AC Switch sooner or later.

MoonFrog

I do really want FE Switch to be a step towards the heavier narrative and characters of, most recently, the Tellius games. I think the narrative direction of Awakening/Fates finally got the flak it deserves with Fates. I just hope IS returns to a deeper narrative FE again, a nerdier FE again. They've saved the gameplay with Conquest, I hope they save the art/story/world/characters next.

Really a good Metroid and that sort of FE are unknown things I want most from Nintendo.

Other than that it is mostly that I want to see a stronger start to 3DS style support transitioning to Switch.

Type_Raver

So many wishlists yet there's going to be so much disappointment when they fail to reveal half or more of these games.

The key is in "We’re going to be showcasing a variety of games". So think of games like Switch 1-2, Nintendogs, Brain Training, Arms. Then there will possibly some more Wii U port refreshes, and finally a few original marquee titles lead by Mario Odyssey and some to be announced.

So many wishlists yet there's going to be so much disappointment when they fail to reveal half or more of these games.

The key is in "We’re going to be showcasing a variety of games". So think of games like Switch 1-2, Nintendogs, Brain Training, Arms. Then there will possibly some more Wii U port refreshes, and finally a few original marquee titles lead by Mario Odyssey and some to be announced.

Too many people expecting FE Switch. They're not showing FE this E3.

I've lost hope in Nintendo. Expecting them to have playable ARMS, Mario, and Splatoon. Other than that, showcase announced games. Not expecting anything big or exciting.

Please make me wrong Nintendo, PLEASE

Drewboy64

Metroid has been missing for too long and it's about time to announce a new game for the Switch(preferably in the Prime style).

Monster Hunter Switch. It's time for Capcom to announce this already.

And finally.....Nintendo starts the accolades trailer for Zelda: BOTW. It ends with "it's dangerous to go alone!" and we see another Link in different colored armor approaching you. "this time, take your friend!" and we see "2 Player local/internet co-op play coming 2018!"

I'm with you, 110%

I am dying to see a Metroid Prime game with updated graphics (and gyro controls would be great).

Monster Hunter was pretty much made for the Switch - though I'd love to see it with more story and open world elements.

And good lord, multiplayer in Breath of the Wild would be phenomenal. I don't have faith in Nintendo to do it, but if they did... good lord.

Neoxon

I've lost hope in Nintendo. Expecting them to have playable ARMS, Mario, and Splatoon. Other than that, showcase announced games. Not expecting anything big or exciting.

Please make me wrong Nintendo, PLEASE
ARMS would by out by then. Plus it'd be weird for there to be no currently-unannounced games for the Switch's first E3 (last year was weird with the Wii U dead & the Switch internally pushed back to March 2017).

Top Bottom