• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie : No Wii successor talk until 45 million US Wiis sold / GAF speculates

Gvaz

Banned
Maybe not in the next five years, but in the next 10-15 it's highly plausible.

There's nothing really wrong with it, other than making it hard to re-obtain games already purchased, storage space, and internet speeds. Speed to cost is getting up there, but then ISPs are shooting themselves in the foot by instituting bandwidth caps.

Sure here's this fat pipe, but don't use it all because then we'll boot you for going over cap. It's stupid, especially when lots of things are becoming more prominent on the internet such as downloadable games, high def movies either download or streaming, music, youtube, uploading large documents, etc.

eastmen

Banned
EvilMario said:
It's complicated. There are 25 GB/month 'caps', but you can buy 'insurance' packages to buy more space in case you go over. ie; I'll be buying around $45 CAD for a 175 GB cap. Pretty terrible, considering the speed found in most of the Canadian market as well.

People really don't understand how data works. Caps are the solution if companies are beginning to experience congestion during peak hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6peRQV5hFEQ

or you know keeping your networks up to date would also work esp since most of these networks (in the united states and canada ) were originaly funded by tax payer money and go over tax payer land.

If tehse companys had continued to invest in their networks they wouldn't be running into these problems.

Thankfully here in the states Verizon is actually doing something aobut it and while they continue to grow more and more people will go to their modern network and the others will be forced kicking and screaming to upgrade their networks.

Gvaz

Banned
eastmen said:
or you know keeping your networks up to date would also work esp since most of these networks (in the united states and canada ) were originaly funded by tax payer money and go over tax payer land.

If tehse companys had continued to invest in their networks they wouldn't be running into these problems.

Thankfully here in the states Verizon is actually doing something aobut it and while they continue to grow more and more people will go to their modern network and the others will be forced kicking and screaming to upgrade their networks.
The best is that verizon tried to expand in parts of Boston, but comcast literally sat on their hands and screamed and kicked and verizon gave up because comcast wanted to be the ONLY person who could sell cable and internet in my area.

So I'm stuck with shitty cable with the only alternative being their business class that's still slower than the fiber optic with no cap for residential and cheaper too not even 5-10 miles away. Jesus fucking christ.

Gvaz said:
Uhmn what?

You're speaking as if Steam doesn't hold 70% market share of DD games

Steam is a great example because DD sales outweigh retail sales for the PC, and steam itself, not counting any spinoffs or other sites, have millions of users. It's absurdly easy on both ends, and ends up having minimal issues as a whole.

A DD only service would be awesome, with the major bottleneck would be pushing ISPs to get off their asses and push more high speed internet in areas that don't have it (at least 1MB/s downloads for cheap even in rural areas would be ideal)
Difference being the PC isnt a closed hardware and the DD market has many competitors. DD on the PS3 and 360? where are the sales? The 75% off games weekly? Nowhere because Micro and Sony have sole custody over the hardware that plays the games. I am all about DD on the PC, consoles? LOL no thanks.

Reallink

camineet said:

This could turn out to be a blunder-ous lack of foresight in the long run, on par with SD output. In hindsight, I'm sure even Nintendo themselves wish they had attempted some level of HD output with the Wii (though they would never admit such publicly). They must think they have another grand slam feature to take such a stubborn approach to design again, cause there's really no reason not to include frame packed 3D as an option, even if it's just there as a little used bullet point. I mean if you've got a CPU, GPU, and HDMI, you've got support at virtually no monetary cost. Maybe they're planning on foregoing HDMI yet again? Betting the farm (or generation) on being able to bottle lightning twice in a row is risky.

gerg

Reallink said:
This could turn out to be a blunder-ous lack of foresight in the long run, on par with SD output. In hindsight, I'm sure even Nintendo themselves wish they had attempted some level of HD output with the Wii (though they would never admit such publicly). They must think they have another grand slam feature to take such a stubborn approach to design again, cause there's really no reason not to include frame packed 3D as an option, even if it's just there as a little used bullet point. I mean if you've got a CPU, GPU, and HDMI, you've got support at virtually no monetary cost. Maybe they're planning on foregoing HDMI yet again? Betting the farm (or generation) on being able to bottle lightning twice in a row is risky.

Pardon my technological ignorance, what do you mean by "HD output"? I hardly doubt that Nintendo wishes they'd included 360- and PS3-quality graphical capabilities with the Wii, if that's what you mean.

But, purely speaking about 3D, I don't think that they're risking much by not including it. For the time being it doesn't seem like the technology is particularly taking off, as it remains a particularly expensive one to adopt (for the consumer). Furthermore, in general I wouldn't write Nintendo's comments off as them seeing some new technology and immediately dismissing it - remember, Nintendo's been toying with 3D for home consoles since the GameCube.

Sealda

Banned
On paper 100 mbps down/ 100 mbps up, 55 usd, no cap. Been this way for 5 years now. It sure, is nice to live in Sweden.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Eteric Rice said:
Someone needs to stop this shit. It's bullshit.
Good luck with stopping that in Canada.

maeh2k

I think the 3d quote is misinterpreted.

They did not say that they are not going to include the option for 3d in their next console.

He said 3d likely isn't the next thing for them. To me that just says that 3d won't be the important feature that it is in the 3ds or that motion was for the wii. So it will not be "the next big thing" or their differentiating feature.

That being said, since Nintendo has no interest in selling 3d tvs and 3d tv adoption is slow, I don't see them pushing 3d in any way, such as including it in their 1st party games.

As for further speculation:

One thing I could see them do is including a camera/microphone standard with their new system. The technology is cheap and readily available.

It would not be a revolutionary feature. It would not be as capable as Kinect. It would not do more then the PS eye.
But I think having that as a standard feature and not just a peripheral would make all the difference.

(Also, with the sensor bar they already have a component that's placed near the tv and connected to the system)

Kozak

Banned
Would be cool if Nintendo waited till Ps4 and Xbox3 was announced first with all their wacky new ideas and Nintendo drops the "going back to basics" bomb and gives us HD, incredible graphics and free online.

I can dream I guess :p

AniHawk

JoshuaJSlone said:
When I think of the reasons Nintendo might consider a DS-like format, it's things like:
1. "We're not letting people play their music and movies from discs anyway. Not a selling point for us."
2. "We get really excited by tiny things. Imagine how small we could've made Wii without the disc drive!"
3. "Cooler, fewer disc read error type problems."
4. "The other guys aren't doing it."

Still think it's unlikely, but the advantages of disc over card today are much less than the advantages of disc over cart 10-15 years ago.

only problem is that it would lack backwards compatibility. they made the effort to make the wii bc with the gamecube, so i think the same will happen with the wii's successor (except no gamecube game support).

well, microsoft and sony did relatively okay without bc, so maybe nintendo will go that route too. if they offer downloadable gc titles, they'll be able to offer downloadable wii titles.

[Nintex]

Kozak said:
Would be cool if Nintendo waited till Ps4 and Xbox3 was announced first with all their wacky new ideas and Nintendo drops the "going back to basics" bomb and gives us HD, incredible graphics and free online.

I can dream I guess :p
I don't think Nintendo will change their control scheme again, they'll probably try to enhance the experience with the vitality sensor or something. Especially after Valve's quote on that sort of tech it seems obvious.

Looks like the possibility of a Wii successor this year is looking bleak to anyone still crazy enough to hold that hope:

Nintendo Power said:
Nintendo Power: Is development on Dragon Quest X proceeding smoothly?

Yuji Horii: All we can say is that development is going well and we're on the last parts of the game. We can't really share much else at this point, but by the end of this year we should be able to announce something regarding it.

DQ X is huge. I highly doubt Nintendo will put out a new console before DQ X releases in Japan. And the guy only said it would be announced by the end of the year, who knows when it actually will come out. Kinda makes me skeptical of the Wii successor by Holiday 2012 vibe now...

AniHawk

TSA said:
DQ X is huge. I highly doubt Nintendo will put out a new console before DQ X releases in Japan. And the guy only said it would be announced by the end of the year, who knows when it actually will come out.

summer.

edit: dragon quest x is more up to square enix's release schedule anyway, and it's not like they haven't put out a dragon quest when the successor console had already been released before.

Well we got successor "talk" well before the Wii hit 45 million units in the states. Now the question is, will the Wii EVER have 45 million units sold in the states.Looking at sales of the Wii over the past 2 months, I don't think it will.

perfectchaos007 said:
Well we got successor "talk" well before the Wii hit 45 million units in the states. Now the question is, will the Wii EVER have 45 million units sold in the states.Looking at sales of the Wii over the past 2 months, I don't think it will.
Well, no. Zelda would have had an impact, had it been released 1 year ago. But it's the same with TP again. a new console is at the horizon and that alone will damp the sales.

antonz

perfectchaos007 said:
I think it depends on a few factors. Will Nintendo keep the Wii around being one. Then you have the factor of will it getting cheaper and cheaper have a positive effect. As gets pointed out alot the PS2 sold over half of its units once it hit 150 and less.

Yes the Wii isn't in the same position as the PS2 support wise but the people buying a console this late don't really give a shit about what the release schedule looks like. They care about the price.

Graphics Horse said:
So is that post, heh.
Anyway, anyone got a total of US Wiis sold handy? Maybe Reggie hired that new guy so he could avoid doing any talking.

~41 million shipped is what Wiki says, it's sourcing some Nintendo.co.jp PDF.

Dedication Through Light said:
I believe NPD and Nintendo this year said Wii in the US is at 35mln.
Hmm, could get there eventually at a low price and big Christmas sales. But the next two E3s will be presented through the medium of mime.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
~41 million shipped is what Wiki says, it's sourcing some Nintendo.co.jp PDF.

That's North and South America, so maybe take off 10% or so.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Graphics Horse said:
So is that post, heh.
Anyway, anyone got a total of US Wiis sold handy? Maybe Reggie hired that new guy so he could avoid doing any talking.

LOL...that's what I get for posting right after I wake up.

One tends to forget that NoA is little more than a puppet of NCL and that they tend to only know what NCL tells them and they rarely say much more than they're told to. At the time that this was said, it's very likely that the plan was "Reveal at E3 2012 - release at Christmas 2012". Since then the Wii's flagging sales may have encouraged them to pursue an accelerated release.

Caramello

BMF said:
One tends to forget that NoA is little more than a puppet of NCL and that they tend to only know what NCL tells them and they rarely say much more than they're told to. At the time that this was said, it's very likely that the plan was "Reveal at E3 2012 - release at Christmas 2012". Since then the Wii's flagging sales may have encouraged them to pursue an accelerated release.

While I agree with the first half of your statement, the comment was made in November last year and the rumour is that certain third parties had dev kits in October last year, why would they have given dev kits to third parties two years in advance? Not even Sony or Microsoft would do this. It's clear that they had been planning for a launch in early - mid 2012 for quite a while. I mean it's possible they sent out alpha kits to a very select group of third parties for a strong launch line up and decided to move forward with the more advanced versions sooner but I just don't think it all adds up.

Why did Reggie make that comment? Could have been many reasons for it including competitive misinformation in throwing Microsoft and Sony off a little in case third parties told them that they had just received new hardware from Nintendo, trying to boost consumer confidence in the Wii platform as being supported into the future? It could even have been just to get people to stop asking when the "Wii HD" was coming! It was probably getting pretty annoying lol.. Could have been one of those, a mix of them a mix of these and other things or it could have been some other reason/s entirely.

Caramello said:
While I agree with the first half of your statement, the comment was made in November last year and the rumour is that certain third parties had dev kits in October last year, why would they have given dev kits to third parties two years in advance? Not even Sony or Microsoft would do this. It's clear that they had been planning for a launch in early - mid 2012 for quite a while. I mean it's possible they sent out alpha kits to a very select group of third parties for a strong launch line up and decided to move forward with the more advanced versions sooner but I just don't think it all adds up.

Why did Reggie make that comment? Could have been many reasons for it including competitive misinformation in throwing Microsoft and Sony off a little in case third parties told them that they had just received new hardware from Nintendo, trying to boost consumer confidence in the Wii platform as being supported into the future? It could even have been just to get people to stop asking when the "Wii HD" was coming! It was probably getting pretty annoying lol.. Could have been one of those, a mix of them a mix of these and other things or it could have been some other reason/s entirely.
It's probably a mixture of several things, but if you look at the original article, the amount of actual quotage is fairly sparse. It leads one to think that he gave the answer he gave to forestall any further questions.

Early dev kits at E3 last year would still be early dev kits. They're really going to want real dev kits out more than a year before system release. I'm still going to hold that a holiday release is preferable to a q1/q2 release, and that the original plan probably was holiday 2012, but it looks like they found some ability to accelerate their release and are doing so to pick up the slack of a flagging Wii and to better beat their competitors to market.

Top Bottom