• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie - Wii Channels, dev costs & last week being their biggest sales week ever

Grecco

Link316 said:
a penny stock also costs less than a blue chip stock, point is lower costs means nothing if you can't get a return on your investment, Midway will probably get some back for Stranglehold, will Capcom get any for Z&W? that I'm not so sure

And how pray tell will they do this. Magic?

CorwinB

Mudhoney said:
Still, PSP costs would be interesting.

IIRC (from some dev interviews I read back then), developing a PSP game can cost roughly the same as a PS2 game. But if you develop the same game for PSP and PS2 (and now Wii), you get the benefit of sharing assets, which can lower the total development cost for all versions by a nice amount.

Arthas

Banned
This Reggie fellow speaks with logic and reason. He is a business man, and he knows that profit = success. To maintain profit they need to keep the consumer entertained. I guess they are busy making games and coming up with new channel schemes.

May Nintendo live a thousand years.

Arde5643

Arthas said:
This Reggie fellow speaks with logic and reason. He is a business man, and he knows that profit = success. To maintain profit they need to keep the consumer entertained. I guess they are busy making games and coming up with new channel schemes.

May Nintendo live a thousand years.
Best stealth troll in the thread.

You show promise, junior.

Arde5643

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
So, basically someday we could see Super Mario Universe or Mario Party 88.
Super Mario Solar Galaxy Moonshade Smash Triplets Brawl Dojo Party 88.

Alternatively called Mario 88.

Arthas

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
So, basically someday we could see Super Mario Universe or Mario Party 88.

Well perhaps. Personally I'd like to see the star count go up to 240 from 120.

Anyway, this new wii sales claim is impressive, I want the console to do well because I dished out $400 (aus) for one.

urk said:
NPD will be the death of us all.

ReggieShrug.gif

Acosta

Xeke said:
Sure they are. Classical artists did not have the availability of the color pallet that artists today have. There was a time in the middle ages before perspective was perfected by the likes of Leonardo. But despite all of that they created some beautiful art. It is lacking many of the technological improvements that we have today but it remains just as beautiful.

I think there is a difference. Perspective has always existed and there was no technical limitation to use it. Any artist could have used it having the right vision. Greeks used neat tricks in their architecture to achieve their ideas of symmetry and perfection with their more important buildings for example.

The animation from Uncharted or Assasin´s Creed can´t be replicated on less technical capable system. There are games with very good animation in the past, but they feel limited compared to what it´s possible now. The same goes for things like illumination, psychics... The great games of the past keep being great games now, but it´s pretty obvious that developers were more limited in what they could put on screen and what they had to left to abstraction and the imagination.

Even if we agreed that classical art it´s limited in some way by "technology", that limitation would be nothing compared with the technology restrictions of something that is purely digital as a videogame.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Acosta said:
I think there is a difference. Perspective has always existed and there was no technical limitation to use it. Any artist could have used it having the right vision. Greeks used neat tricks in their architecture to achieve their ideas of symmetry and perfection with their more important buildings for example.

The animation from Uncharted or Assasin´s Creed can´t be replicated on less technical capable system. There are games with very good animation in the past, but they feel limited compared to what it´s possible now. The same goes for things like illumination, psychics... The great games of the past keep being great games now, but it´s pretty obvious that developers were more limited in what they could put on screen and what they had to left to abstraction and the imagination.

Even if we agreed that classical art it´s limited in some way by "technology", that limitation would be nothing compared with the technology restrictions of something that is purely digital as a videogame.

Technological restrictions on film are pretty huge - The Lord of the Rings simply wasn't doable in 1930. No more than Dead Rising was doable on an SNES.

And the music of today has been totally revolutionized by technology - there are plenty of songs that simply couldn't exist twenty, thirty, fifty, or one hundred years ago.

Hell, even painters of today have access to more types of paints and brushes in more colors for more types of canvas and paper than any painter of 100 years ago. There are plenty of paint colors and types that Leonardo Da Vinci didn't have access to.

Technological limitations are apparent in all forms of art. But those limitations don't inhibit the medium, they simply present creative restrictions.

wsippel

Banned
Campster said:
Technological restrictions on film are pretty huge - The Lord of the Rings simply wasn't doable in 1930. No more than Dead Rising was doable on an SNES.

And the music of today has been totally revolutionized by technology - there are plenty of songs that simply couldn't exist twenty, thirty, fifty, or one hundred years ago.

Hell, even painters of today have access to more types of paints and brushes in more colors for more types of canvas and paper than any painter of 100 years ago. There are plenty of paint colors and types that Leonardo Da Vinci didn't have access to.

Technological limitations are apparent in all forms of art. But those limitations don't inhibit the medium, they simply present creative restrictions.
Yet todays movies, music and especially paintings aren't necessarily better than movies, music or paintings from twenty, thirty or one hundred years ago. It's also worth noting that there was not only progress in hardware, but also in knowledge and tools. The latter, which is probably much more important, still applies to the Wii. More powerful hardware is mostly a bigger canvas, not so much a better brush.

Banned
Acosta said:
Take the animation from Assasin´s Creed or Uncharted , for me that is absolutely beautiful and make the investment on the console worth, it give me a new feeling about the game and the character I´m playing. Developers will never be able to use that animation technique on Wii in all its extension.
:lol You don't know a damn thing animation.

There is no "animation" you can do on the 360 that you can't do on the wii

Zer0

Banned
:lol You don't know a damn thing animation.

There is no "animation" you can do on the 360 that you can't do on the wii

even if that involve the new physics engines like the lucasarts one? i really doubt it,some of you thinks wii makes magic or something similar..

You mean their procedural animation engine... the actual technique is probably possible (not saying it'll ever be used on Wii), its just that you'd be able to do *more* of it on 360/PS3.

I want to hear more about what they have in the pipe re: channels. This interview doesn't really say all that much :/

Top Bottom