• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Registry Leak] Games Excluded From Valve's Family Share Plan

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wait, I can share Steam games with my family? :O

The long and short of the page Grief linked to is that you can share your library across up to 10 devices, but concurrent access is not allowed and preference is given to the account owner, with the secondary user given a few minutes' warning before being booted off.

Wiktor

Maybe this will convince publishers like Ubisoft to remove additional levels of bullshit DRM for their Steam release.
Don't most Ubi games use Uplay for multiplayer? I don't think removing multiplayer for Steam release would make much sense.

xPaw

SteamDB developer and generally a pretty crafty guy.
Please keep in mind that not all gamesexcluded from game sharing have been marked just yet. For example EVE Online is excluded, but is not marked as such.

For a full list go here: http://steamdb.info/search/?a=app_keynames&keyname=261
It will save you time searching for these.

P.S. Grief, you should come to our IRC some time.

These are all games with un-Steam DRM right?

AKA added value for games not requiring Origin, Uplay etc.
Clever-Girl.jpg

e3m88

Banned
I don't think Valve has the strenght, let alone willingness to force something like this against developer's will.

it's not the developers, it's the publishers, maybe in the future this will become the indie sharing family plan, as if we don't get drm-free version already.

I forsee a future where every game will be tied to an online account like the rockstar social club.

Grief.exe

Very happy to see Dark Souls will be shareable.

It could possibly be an oversight.

Game is GFWL, after all, the precedent set by every other game with that specific DRM is not to include it with the family share plan.

it's not the developers, it's the publishers, maybe in the future this will become the indie sharing family plan, as if we don't get drm-free version already.

I forsee a future where every game will be tied to an online account like the rockstar social club.

If you look at the list, its really only two publishers with backwards and broken policies causing the issue.
Rockstar and Ubisoft.

Both Warner, Namco, and Capcom dropped GFWL completely from their future releases.
In fact there is evidence that GFWL is getting patched out from Batman:AA, AC, and Dark Souls. Street Fighter IV confirmed GFWL removal from the next iteration.

Wiktor

If you look at the list, its really only two publishers with backwards and broken policies causing the issue.
Rockstar and Ubisoft.

Maybe in the future they will allow similiar sharing through their own services. I definitely dont want stuff like uPlay or origin to dissapear. Giving any company a monopoly (even Valve) over DD is terrible idea.

Top Bottom