• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

((would a history roll be more useful here? I've got the same modifier for it.))
"Well, it looks like a normal brush on the outside. Perhaps I could try some divinations upon it once we've stopped for the night."

With the walls nearing, he addresses the group. "We should probably have someone a little more...outgoing for dealing with the leadership here. Both to ensure passage and to pass along our news, maybe get some ourselves."

Mike M

Nick N
Nolzur is regarded practically universally to be the greatest artist in the history of civilization, outside the opinions of a few obscure and inconsequential historians who make a point of being contrary to conventional knowledge for the sake of it. He lived a couple hundred years ago, and over the course of his prolonged elven life he founded no fewer than half a dozen artistic movements in both the mediums of painting and sculpture. His influence is felt even today, as many artists still produce work in what is referred to as the nolzurian fashion; work that attempts to replicate and imitate Nolzur's own, though they universally fail to capture the same sense of life and dynamism that he was able to produce. Never the less, nolzurian art remains quite popular, and an artist can make a suitable living in the shadow of the master.

Over his long years of life, Nolzur was almost unfathomably prolific, producing perhaps thousands of different studies, paintings, sculptures, sketches, etc. His works are expensive, to be certain, but not especially rare. Most every household valued over a certain sum owns at least one such piece, and indeed some people aspire to owning one as a status symbol that would cement themselves among the upper crust of society, even if only barely. His materials and tools are almost equally widespread--especially his paintbrushes--though there has never been anything special reported about them. They are simply well-made, well-used antiques that fetch far beyond the asking price of any other paintbrush, but are a comparable bargain compared to what a painting or sculpture would cost.

Nolzur gained a reputation as being something of an eccentric in his later years, seemingly driven to near madness in his effort to continue innovating and advancing his work, never being satisfied with what he had produced even as the rest of the world heaped praise and acclaim upon him. A house he owned in Remdormo has been transformed into a gallery that sells some of his works, and the city makes no bones about boasting of this fact, claiming themselves the home of the great artist. The truth of the matter is that Nolzur was wealthy enough that he had residences in every major habitation in the interior of the continent, largely out of convenience due to the frequency he was commissioned for work from all over Telmur. No other place he may have called home has been preserved outside the gallery in Remdormo, however.

The most curious thing about Nolzur that is often overlooked for all the focus on his accomplishments in life is how he died. It's a curious thing, because no one knows how or when he died. He simply disappeared, though no one knows when exactly it happened due to his transient habitation of any given home of his. Indeed, it may have been months or perhaps as much as a year or more before anyone was actually able to put together that he was missing. This was centuries ago, however, and Nolzur was not exactly young when he vanished. He is most assuredly one hundred percent dead, no one from his time of his age could have survived into the modern era.

Or could they?

No, they could not. He's dead. But the manner of his demise is an interesting historical mystery that will likely never be solved.

((holy infodump batman!))
"Well, the brush itself may or may not have some interesting properties, but the history behind the man is quite fascinating. You see..." And he begins to dryly recount the history and rumor swirling around Nolzur. Somehow making even this informative subject seem rather dull.

Fhiess feels embarrassed, perhaps he is going crazy after all, "I suppose it's just one of his products that Hogan happened to own.. Odd that he would disappear so suddenly, but there is nothing that can change that now."

Closing the box, he suggests, "I admit I am not the most confident, but I can pretend to be. As an artist and spokesman for Hogan's Exports I'm sure I could come up with an explanation that justifies our passing through and possibly taking shelter for the night."

((That sounds good. At least, it seems like that would be harder for someone to break and send the party on a fast trip back down a cliff. Whether or not Galen will prioritize it in any way remains to be seen.
During the journey, Thosar mends any tears in clothing or rent armor to pass time.
If this means Thosar will take care of any damage Galen's armor might have, I'm sure Galen would accept it. It may also delay Galen needing to worry about acquiring something to work on it.))

Unless directly addressed, Galen spends the trip largely in silence. He knows nothing of use regarding Fhiess’s paintbrush, and the ride in itself could be said to be… enjoyable. Indeed, for much of the trip, Galen seems intent on taking a relaxing break from all their earlier excitement, though that does not mean he is much less attentive or aware, especially in light of the earlier discussion.

He does, however, make a point to compliment Sagishi on his marksmanship and Keranos on winning his duel, Keranos especially, as everyone’s hands –and hooves– seemed to be full, and nobody else had been able to spare the time to deal with that particular opponent as Keranos had.

As the fort comes into view, Galen is both struck by the apparent population and unsurprised. Where better, after all, to go after such a catastrophe as the one that struck Telmur than a well-defended fort? It certainly does make a stop there interesting.

((And Galen seeks to see what Galen may see. Perception: [9]+3=12

In case of anything noteworthy, Insight: [13]+5=18

I also rather enjoy the fact that all the damage Galen sustained in combat was from Keranos. Maybe I'm just weird.))

Thosar's steady drone of irrelevant history threatens to hypnotize Keranos into oblivion, but he is pulled back into the land of the living thanks to Galen addressing him directly.

"Now now. I have no use for accolades," he says, though the grin on his face suggests otherwise. "What I require is devotees - and, dare I say, there lies a treasure trove before us!"

When the bustling fort comes into view, Keranos climbs onto a high part of the wagon and stands on his toes to try and get a better view.

"A city's worth of people - souls who need guidance in this time of great uncertainty, and yet are not in immediate danger. Fantastic!"

He ignores the talk of how to justify their presence, for he estimates that it will be unnecessary. Keranos waits eagerly for the wagon to find a parking spot.

((
If this means Thosar will take care of any damage Galen's armor might have, I'm sure Galen would accept it. It may also delay Galen needing to worry about acquiring something to work on it.))
((The mending cantrip can fix most damage. It's not hard to fix up a lot of the small stuff.))

((Okay. I couldn't be entirely sure if Thosar was magically mending clothing and armor, or doing it by hand. Either way is a rather nice use of this time.

This is also an example of why Galen may be hesitant to suggest Keranos speak for the party in this kind of situation. Ludwig seems more likely to keep on task, as he is not specifically looking to amass hordes of worshipers. He also likes to link everything to the state and the free market.

Those two really should go on a riveting debate-and-diplomancy adventure together.))

Galen takes note of Keranos' eagerness. "A little restraint may be in order," he suggests. "There is no need to make the entirety of a stop like this about seeking new followers; to make too large a scene may cast doubt as to our motivations."

Galen allows a moment of silence before continuing.

"Does the fact that there is no apparent immediate danger really matter that much?"

((I'm sorry. Galen has to.))

((In good news for the day, I passed the bar exam! Time to skip rules lawyer and proceed directly to actual lawyer. XD

Yeah, I'm a little up in the air on who should talk to people in the city. Ludwig's got a +2 CHA modifier and proficiency in persuade and intimidate, though Fheiss's CHA modifier is possibly higher. Not to mention I don't know the others' CHA modifiers I do suppose we could have multiple people go in to talk to people and oh god does this mean Ludwig is becoming the group's animal mascot? So yes, a fabulous debate and diplomacy adventure should happen.))

Having had to walk the whole distance, Ludwig is glad to arrive at civilization once more. Thosar's suggestion makes sense, and he's ready to get off the road. "Yeah, assuming the staff here isn't too busy paying their citizens to move the wall a foot over or something asinine like that, some warning can give them a fighting chance against what lurks in the wilderness."

As the topic of the paintbrush comes up once more, Ludwig starts to doze off from the lecture. His only hope of not being noticed lies in whether anyone looks up high enough to see his head drooping. As the wizard concludes, Ludwig shakes awake and tries to bullshit having followed along. "Got it, rich paint guy, multiple houses... uh... anyway, yeah, having an outgoing person go in sounds like a good move."

When Fheiss essentially volunteers, Ludwig adds "I'm sure you can indeed get it done, but if you'd rather not fake it, I'm all for going in there. Of course, one or more of you should probably come with me so they don't just spend the whole time gawking..."

"Ah, not to worry, I'm sure I'll manage to be likable somehow, right?" He thinks for a moment, "Besides, they might excuse any distress that they may notice, given the circumstances that have befallen the kingdom."

"Indeed, I suspect Fheiss to be our best spokesman. I'm not much for talking my way out of trouble, but I can spot a con and get a read on folk. Lots of practice on students trying to dodge their assignments."

((My charisma is mud, but got decent insight/perception and I'm all in on int checks. DP is less active, so yeah Ludwig is probably becoming the mascot.
Also, congratulations on passing the bar Axel! Use your power for good.))

"Of course it matters that they are not in danger. If they were, then alleviating that danger would take precedence over gaining new followers. That's why you did not see me giving a sermon during the refugee crisis."

He continues peering ahead.

((Congrats, Axel!))

((Congratulations on passing, Axel!

Galen is a Wis/Dex build with a whole +0 modifier to Charisma. It’s really very cool: he can talk his way out of going on crazy adventures in which he could die saving the world.
Wait. That doesn’t sound quite right. Well, at least Galen can talk to animals, even if it is an exercise in futility. I think Nyx beats him there, too.))

“That is a rather fair reason,” Galen says in response to Keranos. He has been given no reason to doubt the truth of the –self-proclaimed– god’s claim.

As to thrusting Fhiess into the position of the group’s spokesperson, Galen has this to say: “I’m sure you will do well. Remember, you won’t be alone; if you need someone to back you up, I would expect most anyone here would be willing to lend a hand.”

He nods, "Right. I'll do my best to talk to them. It's why Hogan sent me for, after all."

<Casting Enhance Ability: Eagle's Splendor on myself to gain advantage on Charisma checks.>

Once Fhiess is finished casting the spell he leaves the wagon and begins looking for any apparent person of interest that might be best suited to talk to without disrupting guard patrol.

Mike M

Nick N
((In good news for the day, I passed the bar exam! Time to skip rules lawyer and proceed directly to actual lawyer. XD

Yeah, I'm a little up in the air on who should talk to people in the city. Ludwig's got a +2 CHA modifier and proficiency in persuade and intimidate, though Fheiss's CHA modifier is possibly higher. Not to mention I don't know the others' CHA modifiers I do suppose we could have multiple people go in to talk to people and oh god does this mean Ludwig is becoming the group's animal mascot? So yes, a fabulous debate and diplomacy adventure should happen.))

ChairfaceMoon_main.jpg

((Grats!))

As Barrow pull the wagon over to a convenient spot, it doesn't take long to spot the person in charge around here. Towering at least a head above the tallest of the men around him, there's a heavily scarred half-orc wearing a cloak similar to those seen on the rangers, but this one is lined with thick white fur. The military types obviously show a tremendous amount of deference to him, and the civilians gratitude as he tours the grounds and makes a point of speaking to every group of refugees that has arrived at his doorstep.

He's making his way down the line to Barrows wagon as they watch. He keeps shooting sidelong glances at Ludwig, which is a bit more decorum than the slack-jawed stares the J'raffa elicits from everyone else looking at him.

Insight DC 15:
The scars on this guy would seem to clearly indicate he has seen some serious action. Which is odd, because there hasn't been a major conflict since the founding of the Kingdom, let alone this man's lifetime.

((Galen's earlier insight roll is applicable to this))

<Insight: 1D20+5 => (7 + 5) = 12>

Fhiess takes a deep breath. Already the group had taken interest of the rangers stationed at this checkpoint, and already being out of the wagon he can't think about what would happen if he were to misspeak. Fhiess approaches the half-orc that presents himself. After a brief bow, he attempts to explain, "Sir, we are a travelling band, a merchant wagon with some guardians. We wish not to disrupt your patrol more than necessary, but a brush with danger left us weary and we were hoping to seek passage.. and possibly a safe shelter for the remainder of the night."

<Persuasian: 1D20+5 => (16 + 5) = 21
Second roll for Advantage: 1D20+5 => (15 + 5) = 20>

Nezumi

((Sagishi has CHA +3 but judging by Fhiess' roles that probably won't be needed for now.
Edit: Wow, just realized I missed a good chunk of what has happened...))

((Thanks for the grats everyone!))
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=138981]Insight: 1D20 + 3 = [17]+3 = 20
[/url]
Ludwig takes in his surroundings as Fheiss prepares to do the talking for the group. As expected, there are a bunch of refugees acting as if they've never seen a fucking talking giraffe a J'raffa before. However, the half-orc approaching them stands out. There's a certain gravitas about him. There's also something a little off about the scars. He can't quite place it, but he recalls no big news of war from the other continent back when he was on Baglahm. While the bard addresses this new figure, Ludwig tries to think of when- and where- he could have gotten those scars.
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=138982]History- any wars on Baglahm?: 1D20 - 1 = [5]-1 = 4
[/url]
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=138983]General Intelligence for if Ludwig Knows Multiverse Theory: 1D20 - 1 = [2]-1 = 1
[/url]
It's moments like these that Ludwig kind of regrets completely blowing off the academic portion of his training.

Mike M

Nick N
Try as Thosar might, he can't recall any sort of recorded conflict that the half-orc could have participated in. It's possible that he may have sustained them in some encounter with hobgoblins in the course of his duties protecting the land, but given his physical presence and the hobgoblins cowardly, infighting nature (well, at least until recently), that doesn't seem particularly likely. But as he draws closer...

((Anyone who beat(s) a 20 on their insight roll)):
The margins of the scars are irregular, and frequently occur in parallel with one another. They look to have been inflicted by tooth and claw rather than sword and knife, but by some very large animals. Like he cast Enlarge a couple times on an owlbear and wrestled with it.

As the group has come under the eye of the rangers, Galen decides it is best to not risk drawing suspicion; he is not, in fact, passing along a comment about the half-orc’s scars to the others in front of the half-orc who bears the scars. Ludwig already is receiving some attention, and there is no point in taking a chance that such attention will turn sour.

Galen groans inwardly at the claim Fhiess makes, but his face remains unchanged. They can only hope things go well here.

Mike M

Nick N
((Thosar's nature roll would tell him that there's likely a mix of grassland and forest creatures in the area, very few of them that would be over CR 4, and not much that would exhibit enough intellect to use tools and weapons (goblinoids, gnolls, and kobolds excluded).

Not gonna type it all out, 'cause that's a pretty sizable list.))

Fhiess fights to keep composure as the message in his mind distracts him. Not knowing what to make of the thought passed to him, he knows he can't let it become an issue now that he's already approached what appears to be a captain or commander of the area and begun speaking.

<I have +5 on insight but I haven't been beating those DCs>

((Mike M, just to check –and because it would be rather fun to see what Ludwig would do with some certain information– when you say “beat” a DC, does that include matching it? Also, do you advocate for the beating of comic books?

Fhiess, as far as I can tell, seems to doing quite well. If he pulls this off, Galen might have to ask him to help haggle down some prices on equipment at some point. Just a bit of warning.))

((Mike M, just to check –and because it would be rather fun to see what Ludwig would do with some certain information– when you say “beat” a DC, does that include matching it? Also, do you advocate for the beating of comic books?

Fhiess, as far as I can tell, seems to doing quite well. If he pulls this off, Galen might have to ask him to help haggle down some prices on equipment at some point. Just a bit of warning.))

((yes, meeting a DC means beating it))

As the captain gets closer, Ludwig notices that the man's scars came from something that could very well have been bigger than a J'raffa. Ludwig has heard tales of strong men that wrestle bears and sharks, but those scars look like they came from some kind of souped up ultra-bear that spent decades meditating under a waterfall or something.

Ludwig stands a little straighter and pays closer attention to the captain, noting that this guy does not seem like one to be trifled with. Fheiss seems to have a good grip on things still, so he doesn't chime in yet. He's going to have to ask about those scars later, though.

Mike M

Nick N
The half-orc listens to Fhiess's story that they are a traveling band of merchants without interruption. His eyes flick from each member of the party to another in turn, and any who meet his gaze get the immediate impression that he has already taken your make and measure. His attention notably lingers on the bed of the wagon full of riders without much in the way of trade goods, but issues no challenge to Fhiess.

"You are free to stay until tomorrow, if you so choose," he says. He either has a bit of an accent, or his outsized dentition slightly impedes his ability to speak Common. "We've no room within the walls, but you may stay in your wagon outside the gates. We would ask that you lend aid as long as you remain here; half my men have been deployed to the capital, and half the remainder are attached to the Reagent in Bellows. As you can imagine, we're a bit short handed.

"We will not bar your passage, but know that in light of these events, ranger patrols have been suspended. An inopportune time, I will grant, given what we've heard about the unusual hobgoblin activity in the area, but..."

He pointedly looks toward Ludwig and raises an eyebrow.

"You look like you can handle yourselves."

"Whoever is leading these creatures is probably planning to cut off the ranger supply lines to Telmur and then take out those troops. Divide and conquer, I'm not sure he understands this threat." Thosar adds to Fheiss after the captain has finished.

He nods graciously, then asks in light of the revelation, "Thank you, sir. I'll relay the news to my companions.. er, out of curiosity, is the reason known as to why the rangers' patrol has halted in the past few weeks?"

Keranos is mostly disinterested in what the half orc has to say, but one thing catches his attention.

"What sort of help are you looking for?" He asks, standing up to more easily look the man in the eye.

((Thanks for clarifying that. I figured I should double check before saying that was how I thought it worked; decided a web search would be the most expedient method of doing so; and ended up learning that some people do, in fact, make that distinction to some extent.

So really, I blame the internet for this confusion.

As for Ludwig…
Ludwig has heard tales of strong men that wrestle bears and sharks[...]
I’m sure he has. It is, after all, just the kind of manly thing true heroes must aspire to.

Axel:
Have you ever considered the idea of Ludwig wearing armor with a built-in saddle, allowing one of his companions to easily ride him while bringing a lance to bear upon the enemies of liberty and the free market? The armor could even be enchanted to enhance his trample attacks with the power of lightning!

On another note, I have opted not to make a joke about comic books conversing with the dead.))

Galen pays close attention to the proceedings before him, but his concern over Fhiess’ claims seems to be unfounded, as they are given permission to remain. It is an odd circumstance to be sure, and Galen cannot be certain if he would have preferred for the artist to make a more outlandish, to the extent that it is hard to take as a lie, claim, or a more grounded one.

As the half-orc continues to speak, Galen finds that he is able to remain silent a while longer; the others seem to have this under control.

((Galen is going to need a Sense Motive check on this guy. Insight:
[2]+5=7

Notes: Galen now attempts to peer into people's souls!

I need to ask, am I the only one who has trouble getting Coyotecode to work? I can’t figure out what is going on with it sometimes.

Galen is also interested in what the half-orc has decided about him, but that may not be worth prying into.
))

Mike M

Nick N
A shadow of an expression more suited for orcish features than human flickers across the half-orc's face for the briefest of moments when Fhiess inquires about the ranger patrols. "I believe you are misinformed, good sir," he says rather coolly. "The patrols have only recently been suspended, as the matters of the abduction of our king and incursion into Telmur by forces beyond our current understanding have kept us rather occupied. I apologize for whatever inconveniences the defense of the realm cause you."

He is more warm to Keranos's asking after what sort of help they may need, pointedly maintaining eye contact with the young man as he answers the question. "We've no end of things we could use assistance with; we've four times the heads we normally have and only a quarter of the men and women who would be maintaining things." He starts counting off tasks on his fingers. "The cook needs bodies in the mess hall to help him serve all these people. We need to unload the carts that arrive, load them up with provisions, and ship them out to the front. We need to man the walls for the night watch. Dig a latrine pit. Fell trees for timber and firewood. Construct and deploy chevaux de frise in a perimeter around the people left outside the walls of the fort. Sharpen and oil our reserve weapons. We've no shortage of things needing attention, practically enough for everyone here to have their own unique assignment."

As is Galen's usual fashion, he makes himself as unobtrusive as possible and attempts to make a read of the commandant's body language to see if he can't discern what the hulking man's true intentions might be. There's nothing he can see that would run contrary to how the half-orc presents himself; A level-headed commander who knows not only his limits, but his would-be opponent's as well.

((Chavel de frise are the anti-cavalry spike walls used up through the Civil War. I couldn't find a non-french word for them besides "anti-cavalry spike walls."))

((As far as helping out goes, I am considering Galen taking the night watch, though that would have the issue of separating him from the rest of the group should some issue arise. It also seems pertinent to know about how long everyone has before needing to think about rest, should they want to get a long rest. If he takes the watch and is able, Galen may also help in another area before then, such as moving chevaux de frise into position.

Can we call them &#8220;Anti-Cavalry Walls&#8221;? Or, perhaps, &#8220;Glorified Wooden Caltrops&#8221;? &#8220;Ludwig&#8217;s Smiting Walls&#8221;? Can Ludwig even reach over them?

I suppose the real question is &#8220;What are our characters&#8217; limits if they want a long rest?&#8221;))

((Song:
From a mechanics standpoint, that sounds sweet, but the big issue is expense. Armor costs a LOT more for Ludwig than for everyone else, to the point where plate armor would maybe cost more than the enchantment. Though getting a saddle could work.

As a holy shit this is awesome thing though, I am 110% in approval of the idea. XD
))
Ludwig continues to let Fheiss do the talking, but when the captain looks his way and speaks of help needed, the J'raffa takes that as an invitation to join in. "That sounds good to me." In a half-joking manner, he adds "I've gotten used to having issues with room wherever I go on this continent."

"That is to be expected. Since you know of the hobgoblins, it may interest you to know that on the way here, we encountered some gnolls with the same handprint marks on them as some of the hobgoblins out. I'm all for helping make the fort safer to earn our upkeep with who knows what roaming about."

Normally, Ludwig wouldn't offer to help an officer of some brutish military branch, but the danger is real, he seems goodly, and most importantly, he's smart enough to seek out private contractors to bring the fort into shape.

"I can chop down some trees for sure before it's time to rest. If you're looking to make spikes from the wood, I can sharpen up those as well. As for loading and unloading, well, if you've got a setup that doesn't need hands, weight shouldn't be too much of an issue."

Thosar has been watching and considering before he jumps in himself. "Some harnesses and one or two men to coordinate with Ludwig would make an effective lifting team. He's tall enough to act as a small crane. I myself am more of a... scholar, not much good at heavy lifting. However, if you have any items in need of mending, I can help with those. Otherwise, I would be an effective night watch thanks to having darkvision and less need for sleep."

Having fallen in with unusual but capable strangers, he finds himself needing to improvise and consider what the group is in need of. What it lacks. "I also know some healing magic, though I am somewhat drained of it from an encounter this morning." He pauses a moment to consider his works carefully. "While the watch has been nothing but diligent in their patrols, I fear that the gnolls and hobgoblins and whatever other monsters under the same banner are... well maybe not working together directly but they do seem to be operating under the same force with organization, intent, and a greater degree of tactics than any time before in known history. The attacks that we have fought through were merely probing raids, before long they may set out in force to cut off supply lines and force the troops besieging Telmur to fall back. Or worse, cut them off from reinforcements and slaughter them before anyone can arrive to aid them. I have no doubt that the rangers able fighters, but fighting on two fronts has never ended well for any army."

(( EDIT: I must be watching too much LotGH, Thosar is starting to sound familiar...
6302.jpg

Fhiess is surprised by the answer given, not because of the tone- no, that was expected given he was asking about matters that were most likely none of his business, but because it doesn't explain why the Rangers had failed to prevent a Hobgoblin attack even before the abduction of the king.

When the others step forward to eagerly volunteer their services, it shifts his thoughts to the present. Verily, Fhiess isn't much for heavy lifting or tiring tasks. He timidly suggests, "Ah, uh, I'm one of the aforementioned merchants, I suppose the closest line of work for me is to help cook or help keep weapons primed."

Mike M

Nick N
((No limits if you want to pitch in prior to getting a long rest.))

At the mention of gnolls and hobgoblins working in collaboration, the half-orc visibly starts. "Gnolls? Working with the hobgoblins?" he asks. "The same red hand symbol, you're you entirely certain?"

He turns and scans the treeline in the distance with fresh caution, his hands clenched into fists. "Gods be damned," he mutters. "I'd swear this is all connected, but I can't see all the pieces on the board."

Snapping his fingers in the air, he beckons one of the rank and file over to him. "Prepare a sending to Helga at Castle Telmur," he says. "I want this business with the gnolls looked into. We can get there faster, but we can't spare the bodies to investigate the site and track them back to their camp. Inform her I want her to form up a squad and dispatch them with all possible haste."

The soldier snaps to rigid attention and salutes before running off to complete his given task. "Yessir, Commandant Hauer!"

"Yes, I was able to compare them. Both symbols are crude but quite similar. You know... perhaps we could assist in this matter. I can't speak for everyone but I don't like the idea of a gnoll hobgoblin army rampaging across the kingdom."

Thosar pauses again stammers a little, appearing a bit nervous. "E-E-Excuse me, where are my manners." He exits the wagon and gives a short bow to the lumbering commandant. "My name is Thosar, a former resident of Telmur."

Much as he would love to dive in and get his hands dirty (metaphorically speaking, of course), Keranos begrudgingly recognizes his current physical limitations: heavy lifting is just not in the cards for him.

Instead, he seeks out the most dangerous construction site he can find and offers his services as an on-site medic. Every time a saw blade finds the wrong side of a hand, he makes himself available to patch the poor soul up.

As the hours pass, he makes a point to preach his own third-person gospel to every patient he treats (on a one-on-one basis, rather than by public speaking). Before the day is up, the majesty and infinite magnanimity of the True Storm God is known to at least half the construction crew.... though they might not exactly realize that Keranos himself was the one treating them.

((Persuasion to find new converts: [10] + 5 = 15))

((Axel:
Yeah, it’s three times the cost, right? Honestly, I figure the best way to get Ludwig plate would be to do a quest to bring the price down. Galen would likely be up for it, as he doesn’t want to see Ludwig so near death again, though it would probably be a bit beyond the scope of our abilities –and monetary value– as of now. Keranos would probably be all for a Lightning Trample, I would think.
))

“Indeed, if there is any way to help in this matter, it is certainly worth looking into,” Galen agrees.

((As for this moment, Galen will look into distributing some chevaux de frise and taking a watch. He is also open to readying reserve weapons or killing trees, maybe even lending a hand building the barriers, whichever task could use the help more. Really, he just wants to do what he can to make sure the fort is secure. After all, he’s
not entirely a stranger to this sort of thing

Galen is not about to divert the topic from its current location, but I just wanted to have Galen’s plans available in case it is useful for expediting progress. No sense making people wait on him for this.))

Nezumi

Sagishi has been looking forward to a night's sleep in a real bed, so the announcement that they have to stay outside the walls dampens his mood a little bit. Nonetheless he immediately offers to help when the half-orc asks for it.

((He would probably help with construction or with keeping watch at night.))

Mike M

Nick N
"Aloeus Hauer, Commandant of the Kingsword forces," the half-orc offers by way of introduction. "If you have the means to assist with this gnoll and hobgoblin problem I am all ears."

He is not, in fact, all ears. Most of his left ear is missing to what looks to be some sort of old bite mark.

#

As the members of the party pick up their various chores and pitch in to the running of the camp, Keranos and Galen make their way to a large pile of timber that is being hacked to size, sharpened, and assembled into walls of fierce looking spikes. While Galen assists with the actual construction, Keranos busies himself with tending the multitude of minor injuries the work yard produces. Cuts, bruises, strains and sprains, but nothing too serious.

Most of the people he proselytizes look at him blankly as he describes the mythic might of Keranos, God of Storms, and certainly show no inclination to change whatever faiths they hold. One man in particular seems confused, and expresses that it was always his understanding that the god Talos held dominion over storms, and that Keranos was some manner of minor devil or demon vanquished and imprisoned by the great Thunder God.

Fhiess begins helping by finding the cook hall to help make a meal for the guards that are between shifts. Part of him wishes there was Kobold meat to cook, but considering how much he hates Kobolds and thinks everything is horrible about them, decides they are possibly poisonous to eat, maybe.

He carves some potatoes and strips meat from a bone to put into a boiling stew and...

1D20 => (11) = 11

Just that, a regular stew.

Later he'll try his hand at tending to the repair of metal equipment with the sharpening and oiling them.

1D20 => (9) = 9

Turns out that it's a little more distant from his usual craft construction he's more familiar with.

<I'm not sure what bonuses or proficiency to use for these checks so i just left them as straight d20s, and any relevant bonuses can be added after.>

"I'll see what the others intend." Thosar moves toward the reserve armory to repair and maintain the weapons and armor there, using his mending cantrip where needed. Once night begins to fall and the party regroups, Thosar puts forth the issue.

"So, demon gnolls and hobgoblin armies. Maybe we should take a detour on our journey and fix the problems in front of us. I'd rather there be a kingdom to welcome us when we return."

Top Bottom