• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

Mike M

Nick N
((Oh fuck me, these guys could have had longbows the whole time per the MM. No wonder they’re getting worked.))

As the gnolls struggle to gain any offensive momentum, the Endowed give them no quarter, pushing their advantage further to lethal effect.

When the gnolls pull up short out of Ludwig’s reach, perhaps to some rudimentary instinctive comprehension that they are vastly overmatched, the towering paladin opts to bring the battle to them instead. Shrugging off the Pack Lord’s arrow that looks comically small as it protrudes from his flank, he surges forward and rears up on his hind legs. With all his weight behind the blow, he brings his front hooves down on the gnoll before him, battering his face. The gnoll is apparently of a hearty stock, however, as he remains standing as he weathers the blows.

Their defensive capabilities fortified, more offensive magic is brought to bear against their foes. With a wary eye on the Pack Lord’s longbow, Thosar focuses his energies on one of the distracted gnolls that now surround Ludwig. He unleashes a flame that scorches a trail through the dim night and strikes true, filling the air with the scent of burnt fur and hysterical yelping. Keranos is somewhat less successful in his attempt to target the Pack Lord and his nearest subordinate, as both manage to evade the worst of the his attack even as the stump behind them disintigrates into splinters.

Nyx moves forward to meet the gnoll that has exited on her side of the brambles, and proceeds to savage the hapless creature with her ursine teeth and claws. Bloody and tattered, he manages to get back to his feet, only for well-placed arrow from Saighsi to lay him out for good. Fheiss and Galen turn their weapons toward the same target as Thosar; Fheiss’s trembling causes his bolt to go whistling past the gnoll’s ears, drawing its attention just in time for Galen’s arrow to strike him in the leg.

As the tide of attack ebbs, the gnolls move into action.

The gnoll that had remained in the bramble breaks through at last, bleeding and enraged. It howls as it closes the distance between his tormentors, but stops a bit short of being able to do anything, looking from Nyx to Fheiss’s imaginary warrior and Keranos. Another gnoll approaches from the other side to flank and appears to suffer the same conundrum.

Ludwig’s gambit to run down the gnolls has left him in the middle of half the pack, who waste no time in indulging their bestial impulses to work as a team to tackle larger prey. The two larger gnolls reveal themselves to be considerably more formidable than their lankier companion; though they are unarmed, they are a frenzy of teeth and claws.

Code:
Gnoll B vs. Ludwig
Attack w/spear: 1d20+4=19
Damage: 1d6+2=3

Gnoll C vs. Ludwig
Bite: 1d20+5=20
Damage: 1d6+3=7

Claw: 1d20+5=11
Damage: 1d8+3=7

Claw: 1d20+5=21

((Lucky sevens!))

Gnoll A vs. Ludwig

Bite: 1d20+5=23
Damage: 1d6+3=8

Claw: 1d20+5=15

Claw: 1d20+5=21
Damage: 1d8+3=11

((Damn. Axel, post if you’re okay. These guys have a feature that they get to move again if they reduce someone to zero hit points.))

Keranos’s harassment of the Pack Lord seems to have clouded the creature’s judgement, because instead of joining his pack in attacking Ludwig or the larger, unarmored bear form of Nyx, he lets off a pair of shots in the direction of the armored youth.

Code:
Pack Lord vs. Keranos
Attack 1: 1d20+4=11
Damage: 1d8+2=4

Attack 2: 1d20+4=23
Damage: 1d8+2=6

((Current map, depending on Ludwig’s status.))

((Begin Round 3))

((Ouch. Well, mistakes were made and... fuck. I kind of knew I was boned when the trample didn't kill gnoll A, but hot damn did they get lucky with their attack rolls. Yeah, That last gnoll dropped Ludwig to 0, so he's bleeding out and in need of healing. Not sure if that means all the gnolls get to move more or just gnoll A. Do I need to roll to stabilize now?))

With the unexpectedly hearty gnoll appearing unfazed by Ludwig's trample attack, he finds himself surrounded. The paladin prepares to launch a heavy attack against the beast, but before he can act, the three gnolls around him strike with unexpected ferocity. Claws and teeth find all the weakpoints in his armor, and the J'raffa is accosted and brought down like they're a pack of lions on the savanna. Ludwig barely clings to life, but for now, his gambit has utterly backfired and he is out of the fight.

Mike M

Nick N
((Only Gnoll A since he landed the blow.

You roll to stabilize at the start of each round, 10 and up is a success, 1 and 20 count for double, you need three successes to stabilize on your own. Alternately, someone can do a DC 10 Medicine check to stabilize you, expend a use of a healer's kit to do it without the roll, or just actually heal you to bring your HP above 0))

((Updated map))

Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=138171]Death Save 1: 1D20 = [16] = 16
[/url]
((Well, at least not everything is terrible.))

(Quick FYI: Not that it matters now but since bless helps with all saving throws, it includes death saves! :D)

The savage rebuke by the pack surrounding Ludwig stirs Thosar to action. In a misty puff, he suddenly appears next to the fallen giant, laying a hand upon his exposed flank. In a faint whisper, "Let your feet know the ground once more." a blue flash flickers over the gouged wounds as they begin to close. As Ludwig awakens, Thosar backs away, shouting any epithets he can come up with at the pack surrounding the J'raffa hoping to draw a few of them off.

((Misty step to 4K, Cure Wounds on Ludwig, then move back to 1K.
Back on your feet: 1D8+3 = [3]+3 =6
Still keeping my reaction for Shield

Map: http://beta.ditzie.com/85200/57d0f18087584 ))

Mike M

Nick N
((I live! I die! I live again!

Does Ludwig lose his turn from having been downed, or does he still get to act this round?))
((No normal action this round, but you can use a reflex action should the opportunity arose. 'Course if they realize you're not dead...))

Fhiess yells out, "Ludwig!"

He darts forward for a moment, but soon realizes that he won't be able to get close to help just yet- the beasts need to be driven away. Expecting that the front ones will be shot first, he attempts to cast a spell on the back-most one. He chants, "May fear cause pain, make thoughts true regret!" and casts a spell to place thoughts of a spirit rising up from Ludwig's body to exact ghostly revenge.

<Casting Phantasmal Force on Gnoll C, which will cause Silent Image to disappear. My spell save DC is 13 vs Int, and if it fails then a vision appears in its mind.

It says that the afflicted target can take 1d6 psychic damage on each of my turns, but I do not know if it starts this turn or the next.

http://beta.ditzie.com/85200/57d0fc0d85b0d>

Mike M

Nick N
((I'll rule it can cause damage the same round it's cast. It wouldn't make sense to delay it a round if you had, for instance, put an imaginary lake of lava under his feet; if he didn't start taking damage immediately, the illusion wouldn't work.))

Keranos glances at the fallen J'raffa and considers moving to help him, but when he sees Thosar take care of it he returns his attention to the gnoll in charge.

An arrow knicks him while he is distracted. Its force is blunted by his divinity, but it nevertheless draws blood. He extracts it from between his armor plates with a short yank.

"That will not do," he says.

Another bolt of lightning strikes down from the heavens, leaner and nimbler than the first.

This one does not miss ((I hope)).

((Cast Eldritch Blast on pack lord.

Attack roll: [15] + 5 = 20 vs AC
Damage: [7] +3 = 10
If it hits, move him two squares to the west))

((Curse my lack of reach...))

Seeing that Ludwig's gnolls are being taken care of by the others, Nyx decides the best course of action is to keep the two by her as busy as possible, so she take a step over and attempts to crush gnoll D with her jaws.

Blessed Bite Attack;Damage: 1D20+5+1D4 = [20]+5+[2] = 27
1D8+4 = [8]+4 = 12

((well then...))
bonus crit bite damage: 1D8 = [1] = 1

((slightly less impressive, but 13 is probably pretty good, but just in case I might as well claw as well.))
Blessed claw Attack;Damage: 1D20+5+1D4 = [9]+5+[1] = 15
2D6+4 = [1, 3]+4 = 8

((map:
http://beta.ditzie.com/85200/57d1500502c70
))

((Well, to be fair, the entire party could be using longbows, but are they? No. I think large-scale longbow battles could be really fun.

I am unsure as to the fate of Gnoll A, though it appears it may yet be alive. Due to this, there are a couple different ways Galen’s move could go; I shall describe both.))

Galen watches in horror as the four-legged giant begins to fall, torn and bloodied, the beasts surrounding him savagely tearing at his flesh. With a quick shudder, Galen closes his eyes, head slightly bowed. When he opens them again, his gaze itself seems hardened.

((Scenario 1, part 1; should Galen’s target, Gnoll A, survive Sagishi’s strike))

Galen’s sight immediately focuses on his originally chosen target, in the open again. That one, he knows, absolutely must be removed from the field. Nothing else matters now, and the actions of his allies begin to fall beyond his sight.

With purpose, he draws back his bow, arrow nearly screaming at him with a lust for blood. His hardened gaze bears upon the creature, and he lets the arrow fly. There can be no escape this time.

((Scenario 1, part 2; should the creature feel the result Galen’s wrath))

The projectile strikes, burying itself in its prey.

This is no time for celebration, though, and Galen quickly draws forth another arrow, eyeing a new target next to Ludwig. Then the arrow springs into the air, soaring toward the archer’s new chosen prey.

((End Scenario 1.

Scenario 2, part 1; should Sagishi succeed in killing that which Galen could not))

Galen sees his original chosen target, but, before he can act, it is slain before his eyes. He quickly moves his gaze to the next, standing right next to it. The creature is next to his fallen companion, and Galen is determined to teach it that that is a very dangerous place to be.

He draws an arrow, bringing the weight of his ill will to bear on his foe. Without a word, he looses it, sending it whistling through the air, a small shaft of death and pain, intent on drawing blood.

((Scenario 2, part 2; should this one meet Galen’s arrow instead))

The arrow strikes its target.

Quickly, Galen prepares another arrow, and he sends it forth against the remaining gnoll, standing behind the last.

((Okay, that was fun.

In recap, Scenario 1 sees Gnoll A survive Sagishi’s attack. Seeing everything it has gone through, that means it is serious trouble.

Galen attacks this Gnoll, as his original target, and, if he hits, Horde Breaker allows him to attack another within 5 feet, so he does. This is Gnoll B, at K,7.

In Scenario 2, Gnoll A is already dead, so Galen goes straight to Gnoll B. As I could only find two instances of Gnoll B getting hit, Galen is transferring “Hunter’s Mark” to this new target with a bonus action. Should this attack hit, Horde Breaker is still a thing that becomes useful, and Galen adds another arrow, flying straight for Gnoll C, at J,7.

Attack:
[19]+[4]+7=30

Damage:
[7]+[5]+3=15

-Potential Horde Breaker rolls-

Attack:
[10]+[3]+7=20

Damage:
[5]+3=8

Mike M

Nick N
((Gnoll A and Gnoll B are still alive, though B is in really rough shape.

A, C, and E are significantly tougher than the others, if that wasn't already apparent.))

((You know, I think these guys really must be dangerous. If I did the math correctly,
Gnoll A started with in excess of 60 hit points. Compared to what they took off of Ludwig...

Well, I'm sure Galen thinks it was nice traveling with everybody these past couple of days.))

Mike M

Nick N
((You know, I think these guys really must be dangerous. If I did the math correctly,
Gnoll A started with in excess of 60 hit points. Compared to what they took off of Ludwig...

Well, I'm sure Galen thinks it was nice traveling with everybody these past couple of days.))

((There's more than just Pack Lord and garden variety gnolls in the Monster Manual : P Gnoll A is pretty whittled down at this point, but Gnoll C hasn't even taken any damage yet...))

Despite his large stature and impressive physicality, Ludwig falls under the assault of the horde of gnolls. Unlike the hyenas they share their heritage with, these creatures don&#8217;t stop with a single kill as they scramble over the inert J&#8217;raffa to position themselves for further assault.

Acting quickly, Thosar expends a portion of his arcane power to bypass obstacles and appear immediately beside his fallen comrade. He channels just enough divine energy to ensure Ludwig stays this side of eternity before backing away, taunting the nearest assailants.

Fhiess attempts to further divide their attention in the immediate aftermath of Ludwig&#8217;s collapse and attempts to plant the image of a vengeful J&#8217;raffa wraith in the mind of one of the gnolls, but unfortunately it has no effect beyond the bestial warrior shaking his head for a moment to dispel Fhiess&#8217;s efforts.

Sagishi and Galen seek to further winnow the numbers in the immediate vicinity of Ludwig and Thosar; both take aim and hit the monster responsible for felling the paladin, but he is so enraptured in his frenzied bloodlust that he scarcely seems to react. Using his prowess honed by years of hunting, Galen has time enough to let a second arrow fly at another target; this one has marked success, as the gnoll drops to its knees, clutching at his throat as blood spills from his wounds.

Keranos and Nyx focus their efforts on the second half of the pack; The self-proclaimed god of storms continues his grudge match with the leader of this attacking force, striking him square in the chest with a blast of force that pushes the recalcitrant Pack Lord back several feet, but does not drop him yet. Nyx attacks the nearest of the gnolls and leaves nothing but a bloody mist in the air and ravaged body parts on the ground.

Howling with fury and covered in blood both his own and Ludwig's, one of the gnolls takes Thosar&#8217;s bait, a whirlwind of predatory malice brought to bear on a single opponent. Or at least he would have, had Ludwig not recovered enough to cleave the beast in twain with a mighty swing of his sword. The upper portion of the gnoll's body lands with a wet thud at Thosar's feet.

The other two members of the cohort that dropped Ludwig decide to focus their energies on the next largest target and rush toward Nyx.

Code:
Gnoll B attack v. Nyx
Spear: 1d20+4=22
Damage: 1d6+2=6

Code:
Gnoll C attack v. Nyx
Bite: 1d20+5=21
Damage: 1d6+3=9

Claw: 1d20+5=12
Damage: 1d8+3=4

Claw: 1d20+5=19
Damage: 1d8+3=6

WIth Nyx suitably distracted, the remaining gnoll to the south rushes forward and flings himself on Keranos, his teeth gnashing as his claws seek purchase in flesh between the plates of armor.

Code:
Gnoll E attack v. Keranos
Bite: 1d20+5=10

Claw: 1d20+5=22

Claw: 1d20+5=9
Damage: 1d8+3=9

WIth his tormentor suitably occupied, the Pack Lord&#8217;s vicious gaze falls upon Fhiess and Sagishi. His lips pull back in a snarl to reveal yellow, rotted teeth as he pulls back on the string of his longbow.

Code:
Pack Lord attack v. Fhiess
Longbow: 1d20+4=13
Damage: 1d8+2=8

Code:
Pack Lord attack v. Sagishi
Longbow: 1d20+4=10
Damage: 1d8+2=4

((Updated Map))

((Begin Round 4))

((Soo, about reactions. I think the one thing close to AoOs in 5e is a reaction to attack enemies leaving a threatened space. Would that change the last move if Ludwig did that? Or did I need to declare that before you typed up the move? If the opportunity is missed/would still be a really bad idea, oh well, that's that then.

For this turn, debating over trying to kill Gnoll A and get him off Thosar but risk getting downed again next turn or healing up but leaving things as is this turn. Think I'll wait a bit to see what others do for now.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Soo, about reactions. I think the one thing close to AoOs in 5e is a reaction to attack enemies leaving a threatened space. Would that change the last move if Ludwig did that? Or did I need to declare that before you typed up the move? If the opportunity is missed/would still be a really bad idea, oh well, that's that then.

For this turn, debating over trying to kill Gnome A and get him off Thosar but risk getting downed again next turn or healing up but leaving things as is this turn. Think I'll wait a bit to see what others do for now.))

((Go ahead and take your reaction to hit any of the three who left your threatened range and I'll adjust accordingly))

((I'm going to regret this, but we're all in on the reckless paladin trope now. Let me just take a minute to preemptively praise the rules for dying in 5e versus 3.5.))

Thosar's brief surge of healing allows Ludwig to return to consciousness. His vision blurred, he makes a mental note to remember that charging a group of enemies of unknown strength has failed in the free market. The gnolls around him begin to disperse, making their way to other members of the endowed. His vision starts to clear as he sees the ferocious gnoll that downed him, back turned, running to the wizard that just saved him. Worried for his comrade and not thinking of consequences, Ludwig rises with a great cutting motion, seeking to kill the beast before it can tear into the less armored ally.

((burning a spell slot to smite with this attack))

Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=138224]Attack: 1D20 + 1D4 + 5 = [11]+[1]+5 = 17
[/url]
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=138225]Damage: 3D6 + 2D8 + 3 = [6, 1, 2]+[8, 5]+3 = 25
[/url]
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=138226]Great Weapon reroll: 2D6 = [1, 5] = 6
[/url]
((28 damage total on gnoll A.))

As the moment passes and Ludwig realizes what he just did, the J'raffa experiences a moment of clarity. A single thought passes through his head before the fight resumes.

Fuck, I'm stupid.

((I would just like to say, if anyone has anything like "Haste" to use on Galen to give him another action, he would be most appreciative about now.))

Keranos eats a claw to the face and glares at his assailant. He would like nothing more than to eviscerate this simpleton, but his ego gets the better of him: he MUST be the one to bring down the leader of these thugs.

Steeling himself for a follow-up blow, he retreats ((to Square N6, if someone wouldn't mind moving me - I'm posting from mobile)) to a better spot for unloading his most powerful attack on the Pack Lord.

Summoning up most of his reserves of divine might, Keranos creates a ball of black lightning inside the body of the Pack Lord, threatening to annihilate it from the inside out.

Anyone who takes the time to look would see a fist-sized crystalline sphere floating nearby the gnoll (or its corpse) after the attack has concluded.

((Use my Invisible Familiar to deliver an Inflict Wounds on the Pack Lord, juiced up by using my Level 2 slot.

Attack rolls (with advantage due to Invisibility):
[12] + 4 = 16
[8] + 4 = 12

Damage: 4d10 = [5, 5, 8, 4] = 22 necrotic (but flavored as lightning)

There's a lot going on here, so if I missed anything and need to redo things, let me know))

Mike M

Nick N
((Oh shit, these guys have poison damage on their bite attacks too. God, I built this encounter and somehow forgot everything about it. Anyway, Gnoll E rolled a 16 on AoO for 7 damage if that connects. Pack Lord is down.))

((Updated map))

((Oh yeah, since that was just a reaction, Ludwig still gets a turn, right? Just double checking before I type more stuff up.))

((Correct, you can act this turn. Technically the reaction was from last turn, so you have that available too.))

The immediate danger has passed, and to the J'raffa's surprise, he was not immediately brought back down to the ground. Surveying what's left of the battlefield, it appears that most of the remaining gnolls are focused on Nyx. He wants to help her, but as Ludwig is a paladin instead of a gladiator, he appears to have learned something from the last fifteen or so seconds.

Ludwig stops to treat his wounds, channeling his inner reserves to undo the damage done by the pack of gnolls. This also allows him to get ready to help Nix without blocking the archers' line of fire on her foes while doing so. Ludwig still far from unscathed, but the most grievous of the wounds have been addressed for now.

((Using lay on hands to heal 18 hp. Currently not moving since I don't think I can get closer to any gnolls this turn without interfering with people's line of sight. Updated map to reflect dead gnolls and Keranos's move to N6.))

((Does Ludwig's reaction stop Gnoll A from attacking?
Edit: Nevermind, just read the update. ))
Thosar is about to attempt to shield himself from the oncoming savage, when it is abruptly cut down from behind. He lets out a laugh mixed with relief and anxiety, then looks toward Nyx, noting several enemies next to her. He moves nearer to the cart and sweeps a hand through the air, making a gliding motion like someone applying oil to a sword. "Lardum Lubricum!"
The ground beneath and behind the pair of gnolls attacking Nyx is suddenly covered in a thick, slimy grease, making a slippery mess of poor footing beneath them. "Box them in, they'll have a hard time evading your blows if they can't stand upright!"

((Casting Grease on squares 8N, 9N, 8O, 9O. Both Gnoll B and C need to make a DC 13 dexterity save or fall prone. The 10' square beneath and behind them is difficult terrain now and anyone entering or ending their turn on it has to make another save. Not sure how to put an area on the map though.
Axel, I'd recommend moving Ludwig up to Gnoll C to cover the M9 square. You'll still have your reaction in case they try to escape the Grease. Updated map: http://beta.ditzie.com/85200/57d1d050b8227))

((Sounds good, moving Ludwig up, and if the gnoll does anything to trigger a reaction attack, even better. Updated map.))

Ludwig makes a noise muffled by the sword in his mouth that kind of sounds like "On it!" as he runs up to cut off the easiest path out of the grease for the ferocious looking gnoll. While not thrilled about immediately running back into the claw and teeth range of one of the more fucked up demonic super gnolls, he thinks his chances are better against a single one of them than when he was surrounded by multiple gnolls. Besides, taking risks so the others don't have to is his duty as the blade of liberty.

((That makes C and E good targets for ranged attacks, especially for something like hunter's mark. B is wide open for melee but not so good as a ranged target.

Mike M:
Using Portent: Nezumi's next sneak attack gets to be a 17+modifiers
.))

<http://beta.ditzie.com/85200/57d1f213c30aa

Fhiess moves to R6 to cast Thunderwave, putting the 15ft cube over Gnoll E. Spell save DC vs. Constitution is 13, Damage: 2D8 => (3 +5) = 8; if it fails the save then it gets pushed back 10 feet>

The artist dives down when he notices an arrow being pointed at him, a swift move that puts him out of the way. As he gets up he sees opportunity to end the battle, and yells out, "Chin up, everyone! We've won this night!"

Lifting his sword upward, he allows a small stream of lightning channel into the metal. Then he points the sword toward the ground in front of him, near one of the Gnolls. A shockwave instantly blasts the monster with a thunderous boom and with an electric discharge.

(It is good to see my suggestion was ignored. I managed to get myself lost, and, while trying to find my way, I realized I was potentially suggesting that Thosar drop &#8220;Bless&#8221; from Ludwig, Fhiess, and Sagishi. It would not have been a good trade-off.))

The chaos of battle rages on.

Galen turns his attention back to his original target, now hearing Thosar&#8217;s words as the creature turns its attention to the mystical cleric. Suddenly, there is a flash of light and motion as the fallen paladin lashes out, and Galen&#8217;s target is no more.

That mighty foe vanquished, Galen allows a wry smile to find its way to his lips as he turns his gaze to the other end of the field. Ludwig, certainly, had earned that kill.

The tide of battle seems to remain in their favor, the terrible near tragedy of a couple moments before aside. Keranos remains locked in his own personal duel, and one gnoll falls to the ground trying to bring down their great bear ally. But something troubles Galen about the scene.

Even as Keranos&#8217; opponent falls, Fhiess moves forward, toward what remains of the pack. Galen, not wishing to see the lightly armored Fhiess get torn to shreds like Ludwig, begins to move.

He slips past Sagishi, taking note of the state of the powerful gnoll standing below the towering forms of Ludwig and Nyx. You&#8217;re next, he thinks, as though to the beast. A loud crack of thunder reverberates through the air, as though Keranos has struck another foe, but the origin is from the artist instead.

Galen readies his bow as he runs, nocking an arrow. &#8220;Fhiess! Get away from there!&#8221; he shouts, loosing the projectile at its target.

As the arrow flies, Galen prepares to fire again, doing so should he find himself able. Regardless, he takes one final step, drawing a slender curved sword from his hip and planting his feet by Fhiess, as though a challenge to the gnoll his ally had just struck.

((Recap:

Galen, seeing his chosen foe defeated, returns his attention to the rest of the battlefield and notices Fhiess drawing closer to danger. He begins to move to try to protect his companion, segmenting his move action to stop on T,7 and fire an arrow or two before finishing his movement to stop on S,7, drawing his rapier as a free action with the last bit of his movement.

Here is the updated map.

I figure Galen can make the distance if he moves from U,4 to T,5, but feel free to make amendments to his location if he cannot, though he will not be drawing the rapier if he does not make it. If he cannot draw the rapier, he will end his movement on T,7. He is still holding his bow.

Galen fires at Gnoll C with &#8220;Hunter&#8217;s Mark,&#8221; having transferred it with a bonus action. If he is able, he also fires at Gnoll B, with disadvantage for attacking a prone enemy from a range greater than 5 feet.

Code:
Attack for arrow to Gnoll C:

[URL="http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/lookup.php?rollid=138288"][2]+[2}+7=11[/URL]

Damage? Ha ha. [URL="http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/lookup.php?rollid=138289"][5]+[4]+3=12[/URL]

Maybe an attack for an arrow to Gnoll B:

[URL="http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/lookup.php?rollid=138290"][U][12]+[2]+7=21[/U][/URL]

[URL="http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/lookup.php?rollid=138292"][17]+[1]+7=25[/URL]

Damage:

[URL="http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/lookup.php?rollid=138293"][3]+3=6[/URL]

In other news, I am beginning to question needing to hit the target to use Horde Breaker&#8230;

Once on each of your turns when you make a weapon attack, you can make another attack with the same weapon against a different creature that is within 5 feet of the original target and within range of your weapon.

Now, if only Sagishi could
draw Gnoll E across the map while the others tear Gnoll C apart... Or just help with C. That would be good too.
))

((Even if I had wanted to, I couldn't. Not getting that kind of spell for a couple levels yet! Might nab hold person though, who doesn't love getting advantage and free crits?
And yeah, horde breaker is usable whether you hit or not. It's tough improving on getting multiple attacks, even with conditions. Hopefully next round fhiess/thosar/Keranos can shove gnoll E into the grease next to his buddy so you can keep multiattacking.))

((Well, it was good seeing it not happen regardless.

I also take back the suggestion I had for Sagishi; sneak attacking C is far more worth the time.))

concentration: 1D20+3 = [20]+3 = 23
1D20+3 = [13]+3 = 16
1D20+3 = [3]+3 = 6
1D20+3 = [17]+3 = 20

((oh no i failed a concentration roll... I forgot bless but when i rolled it all i got was a 2 so, w/e))

Nyx suddenly finds herself with several wounds she didn't have before, but just as quickly some of them disappear.

Wild heal: 2D8 = [2, 2] = 4

((totally worth a second level spell slot))

She then proceeds to swing at Gnoll C because she doesn't like him.

((also, durr, of course the bear has 2 fucking claw attacks wtf was I thinking?))

Blessed Bite Attack;Damage: 1D20+5+1D4 = [7]+5+[4] = 16
1D8+4 = [1]+4 = 5

Blessed claw Attack;Damage: 1D20+5+1D4 = [17]+5+[4] = 26
2D6+4 = [1, 3]+4 = 8
1D20+5+1D4 = [18]+5+[1] = 24
2D6+4 = [3, 4]+4 = 11

Nezumi

((Do I get my sneak attack in gnoll c? Because I'm not sure if sneak attack is triggered by ranged attacks. Can't look up the rules just now.
Edit: Didn't see that Nyx attacked too.))

An arrow flies towards Sagishi but it is aimed so bad that he barely needs to shift his head to the side a bit to have it fly by harmlessly. He raises his crossbow to show the pack leader how it is done but before he can send his bolt flying Keranos strikes him down with one of his strangely awesome but also slightly scary god talents.
With the numbers of their enemies dwindling Sagishi has to look around to find another target. Sagishi's eyes fall on the gnoll that is engaged with Nyx his back turned to him. He aims and fires.

Attack on gnoll c: 1D20+6 = [18]+6 ;1D4 = [1] = 25

Damage:1D8+4 = [1]+4 ;2D6 = [5, 6] = 16

((Sneak attack works as long as you have an enemy next to your target. Doesn't look like they even need to attack each other.))

Mike M

Nick N
After enjoying the fleeting taste of victory for one precious moment, the tide turns against the gnolls with a vengeance, starting with Keranos turning the Pack Lord inside out and bringing an end to their duel. Ludwig takes a moment to restore some of his lost strength to himself, while Thosar lay down a field of slick, viscous goo that steals the severely wounded spear-wielding gnoll's balance, and Galen finishes him off with an arrow.

Of the remaining gnolls, one who has until now gone unscathed is the subject of a concerted effort between Galen, Nyx, and Sagishi to take him down. Unfortunately Galen's shot goes wide, and the gnoll remains standing and combative, heedless of the loss of the Pack Lord, but he bleeds profusely from his multitude of new wounds.

Fhiess, in a fit of heroism, unleashes the power of thunder against the gnoll nearest him, but unfortunately it has little effect as the beast digs his claws into the soil and resists the force pushing him backwards. From this position he launches forward to throw himself and attack the half-elf in the manner that has defined the actions of these hardier specimens.

Code:
Gnoll E vs. Fhiess

Bite: 1d20+5=24

Claw: 1d20+5=12
Damage: 1d8+3=5

Claw: 1d20+5=9

((Man, that could have gone very poorly for you.))

Flanked by the imposing J'raffa and bear-form of Nyx, the gnoll in the grease can't decide which to focus his rage upon, so he opts for attacking them both.

Code:
Gnoll C. vs. Ludwig
Bite: 1d20+5=14
Damage: 1d6+3=9

Claw: 1d20+5=23
Damage: 1d8+3=11 ((Savage!))

Code:
Gnoll C vs. Nyx
Claw: 1d20+5=8
Damage: 1d8+3=11 ((What a waste...))

Unfortunately for him, his efforts cause him to lose his footing and fall prone in the Thosar's grease slick.

((Updated map))

((Being Round 5))

((Looking at the map, it appears my update got lost. I suppose it wasn&#8217;t the most visible, but it may be important to bring up:
He begins to move to try to protect his companion, segmenting his move action to stop on T,7 and fire an arrow or two before finishing his movement to stop on S,7, drawing his rapier as a free action with the last bit of his movement.

Here is the updated map.

I figure Galen can make the distance if he moves from U,4 to T,5, but feel free to make amendments to his location if he cannot, though he will not be drawing the rapier if he does not make it. If he cannot draw the rapier, he will end his movement on T,7. He is still holding his bow.

As I understand, Galen still wouldn&#8217;t receive an opportunity attack from this, as the gnoll never left his reach, but I just wanted to note, before anything else happens, that he tried to be there.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Looking at the map, it appears my update got lost. I suppose it wasn’t the most visible, but it may be important to bring up:

As I understand, Galen still wouldn’t receive an opportunity attack from this, as the gnoll never left his reach, but I just wanted to note, before anything else happens, that he tried to be there.))

((Derp. I'll fix it when I get home.))

His foe bested, Keranos looks around at the remaining infidels. The battle seems to be virtually won already, but he has no qualms about engaging in clean-up duty.

Eldritch Blast vs Gnoll in R9: [1] + 5 = 6

Unfortunately, his exuberance at winning his duel has apparently compromised his aim.

((Critical Failure incoming...))

latest

((Don't sweat, my crit failure table is pretty generous, your chances of anything serious happening is--

Code:
1d100=100

Oh Christ...))

Ludwig's second engagement with the unusually powerful gnoll goes better than the last one. While he is able to avoid its jagged maw, a claw manages to bypass every bit of armor on him, undoing much of his healing. If the fight continues on too much longer, they'll get ripped apart, so he attempts to hit it with everything he's got. First, an unfamiliar, buzzing field forms around his greatsword. As he brings the blade down, the familiar pale blue light of his past smites forms on top of that. The swing, packing his full wrath, is thrown a little too urgently and flies through the air with less precision than he'd like, but with any luck, the brutal swing finds the gnoll and ends it.

((Using wrathful smite as a bonus option coupled with a regular smite should the attack hit. If it lives, it needs to make a DC 13 wisdom save or be frightened of Ludwig for the duration of the spell or until it makes the save as an action. EDIT: forgot prone advantage since it fell, editing that in.))

Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=138411]Attack: 1D20 + 1D4 + 5 = [8]+[1]+5 = 14
[/url]
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=138419]Prone Enemy Advantage: 1D20 + 1D4 + 5 = [11]+[2]+5 = 18
[/url]
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=138413]Damage: 3D6 + 2D8 + 1D6 + 3 = [1, 4, 1]+[6, 5]+[1]+3 = 21
[/url]
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=138414]Great Weapon reroll: 2D6 = [1, 5] = 6
[/url]
((25 damage as is. Question: the text on Great Weapon Fighting Style says that you can reroll a 1 or a 2 on a damage die for two-handed melee weapons. As long as the weapon itself qualifies, does that include rerolling smite damage too when it's a 1 or 2?))

Mike M

Nick N
((25 damage as is. Question: the text on Great Weapon Fighting Style says that you can reroll a 1 or a 2 on a damage die for two-handed melee weapons. As long as the weapon itself qualifies, does that include rerolling smite damage too when it's a 1 or 2?))

((I'm going to say it doesn't apply for smite since that's extra damage of a different type on top of what advantage the weapon fighting style is already granting))

Ludwig weighs the choice of attempting to finish off the gnoll trapped between him and Nyx or backing off and allowing himself another moment to recover from his ordeal. He opts to end things quickly, and pours his divine wrath into a cleaving strike against the gnoll lying in the grease at his hooves. Good fortune prevails, and the feral threat is ended.

Keranos takes aim at the remaining gnoll positioned between Fhiess and Galen and unleashes another stream of magical power toward it. As the magic courses through him, for the briefest of moments his eyes see the magic that lies about him. The afterimage of Ludwig's wrathful smite hangs in the air like glowing mist. Thosar's grease has a shining aura that speaks of its unnatural origin.

And the gnoll he has targeted is swathed in a malevolent divine power he did not expect.

For the smallest fraction of an instant, his confidence falters, but that is all it takes. The spell loses its shape in his mind as it collides with the dark vapor that swirls over the gnoll's skin and ignites.

The ray reaching between Keranos and the gnoll detonates with a blinding flash and the percussive wumph of the shockwave driving the air from the immediate vicinity. Keranos, Galen, Fhiess, and the gnoll are all violently thrown by the force of the blast, leaving them dazed and helpless on the ground.

((You three take 10 damage, are knocked back 10 feet, knocked prone, stunned, and blind. Not that anything but the damage much matters since the fight's over, but damn that 0.0005% chance of that happening...))

Barrow appears from the shadows wielding a camp skillet and a wide-bladed knife--better suited for field dressing than combat, but it serves its purpose as he opens the carotid artery of the helpless gnoll and brings a swift and final end to its life. The body begins to decompose almost instantly; indeed, the other two of the more deadly gnolls are already scarcely more than compost and bone fragments lying where they fell.

Pulling his necklace of religious symbols and tokens out from his shirt, Barrow begins to cycle through their number while making a variety of genuflections and muttered prayers. "By the gods," he pants, "Fangs of Yeenoghu! Three of 'em, no less! Never have I heard of such a thin', what manner of dark dealings be goin' on in the woods that there be so many of the blighted monsters in one spot?"

In the aftermath of the combat, and examination of the remains of the gnolls reveals no equipment worth salvaging, but some coins and a few items of worth.
  • 3,000 Copper
  • 1,200 Silver
  • 50 Gold
  • 5 lapis lazuli worth 10 gp each
  • jade figurine worth 25gp
  • silver small bracelet worth 25gp

Disturbingly, what's left of the crude and primitive armor of the creatures displays marking similar to what was found on those of the hobgoblins more than a week ago.

((Loot's worth 300 even total))

Top Bottom