• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

((No, I've got nothing.
Galen1_zpszdfdfxb9.jpg
Galen2_zpssi7np1ov.jpg

They didn't turn out quite how I would have liked, but oh well.

My initiative roll ([6]+3=9) is the best.
Also, I haven't been able to get Coyotecode to work, so I would like to share the note I intended to include with my roll:
"Galen's first initiative role of the campaign, also possibly his last."

That is all. Galen is very sorry he let everybody down.))

<I'm thinking of casting Heroism on Keranos or Ludwig to make one of them capable of taking an extra hit, but I also have Enhance Ability too.>

((Heroism on one of us sounds good unless someone can really put enhance ability to good use. I'm thinking I'll cast bless on myself, Galen, and Sagishi, though if anyone feels the extra d4 on attack rolls could be better used elsewhere, I can tweak that selection.))

Keranos wipes the sleep from his eyes and readies himself to smite his enemies well in advance of when they decide to reveal themselves. He is in no mood to be showy this evening.

He scans the pack of gnolls and spots their leader without much difficulty; this one is larger than the others, more muscular. Its cackle also seems somewhat less unhinged and more self-aware.

Cracking his knuckles, Keranos strides forward and extends his hand toward the creature, palm facing out and fingers spread like he's gripping a large piece of fruit. He attempts to assert his divine presence and invoke such a terrible sense of dread and foreboding that the thing has no choice but to flee.

Run while you still have the chance, he speaks into the creature's mind. Compared to my divine power, you are nothing.

((Cast Dissonant Whispers targeting the Pack Lord. It should make a Wisdom saving throw, DC 13. If it fails, it takes full damage and must use its reaction to immediately move away from me at its speed. If it succeeds the save, it just takes half damage.

Damage: 3d6 = 12

Updated Map after moving: http://beta.ditzie.com/85200/57cbb64737903))

<Oops, I was looking at my spell list wrong. I don't have heroism prepared. I am tempted to cast Silent Image just to see how it pans out as a spell in practice.>

((I should probably cast that Bless tbh. Axel, if you want to Bless the others that I don't get to, feel free, but I get the feeling you'll want to get up into melee ASAP.
KM, Enhance ability (strength) is real nice in combat for putting on someone for the purpose of shoving and grappling. Otherwise it's more of a utility.))

Thosar, having been interrupted in his dream trance, is not pleased by the interlopers encroaching on the camp. He quickly weighs options as he clutches his shield firmly and moves a small necklace charm from under his armor while taking position behind the wagon. He mutters under his breath as he moves. "God damn jackals have to pop up at the worst time. I was so close." He grits his teeth and his face tightens with concentration as his right hand traces faintly glowing symbols in the air itself. The small necklace charm hanging from his neck glows as well as he speaks aloud in an octave lower than his usual.
"May the light of understanding guide your hands and your hearts."

He holds a hand up in caution, just in case of any attacks come his way.
((Using a 2nd level slot to cast Bless on Ludwig, Galen, Sagishi, and Nyx. Add 1d4 to your attack and save rolls.
If anyone makes a successful hit on me, I'll use my reaction to cast shield for +5 AC (making it 23 for that and any other attacks), hopefully it'll be enough.

Update Map after move: http://beta.ditzie.com/85200/57cbca93051a7))

Fhiess is able to dart from a weak slumber to the news of danger. "The goblins? But how did they find us again..?" He questions, unaware yet that these are a different beast. He takes a deep breath, hoping that he will not find the pain of his arm tearing once more.

Thinking for a moment, there doesn't seem to be much time to prepare. As others march out he begins casting a spell with an incantation learned from the pamphlets. He states, "Let eyes remind all of what they have not, make it seem like a fragment of dream!" He casts Silent Image, casting a vision of a stout warrior bravely marching onto the battlefield in hopes that the attackers will become distracted by it.

<Move back a bit then cast Silent Image @ Q10 which should be within 60ft>

http://beta.ditzie.com/85200/57cbf840e4b2b

Nezumi

((I guess there is no good place to hide for my stealth bonus despite under the cart, which I can't reach this turn anyway and I guess it would also only work for one turn unless I change the target every time? Or would we have advantage on a roll against the ones affected by Nyx's spell, because I think that would activate the stealth bonus as well.))

Ludwig springs awake as the world's least stealthy group of ambushers make their way toward the camp. He prepares to strengthen their position with a prayer to the spirits of liberty that will boost the attack power of some of the group, only to find that Thosar already has the spell covered. "Well, I guess that covers that then. These don't look like reasonable types, better get to work."

With that, Ludwig bends his neck around to draw The Invisible Hand from its sheath and gallops forward into battle. After reaching a point between the camp and the advancing gnolls, he crouches into a stance he can readily swing from, ready to cut through the first gnoll that gets close.

((Moving 40ft towards the gnolls, and using a ready action to attack the first gnoll that comes in melee range of Ludwig.

map))

((I guess there is no good place to hide for my stealth bonus despite under the cart, which I can't reach this turn anyway and I guess it would also only work for one turn unless I change the target every time? Or would we have advantage on a roll against the ones affected by Nyx's spell, because I think that would activate the stealth bonus as well.))
((Spike growth just penalizes movement through an area, those guys are probably not going anywhere for a while but I doubt that is going to give advantage on attack rolls for us. ))

((Sorry I took so long getting this turn in; it got really busy here, and I spent too much of the time I had available trying to make sure I had everything straight for Galen&#8217;s move. I suppose it&#8217;s not entirely bad, though: seeing the updated map, it appears I had misinterpreted the area of Nyx&#8217;s spell. Galen almost went for Gnoll E on M,17. That target being on troublesome ground, Galen is going to go for a different one.

On a different note, having been playing Metroid a couple weeks back, I counted up the Gnolls in their introduction and found myself unsure as to why we should find them at all intimidating. Samus could take these guys easily.))

Galen sits there, staring at the warm coals of Barrow&#8217;s lackluster fire. The night is dark, and his watch had proven unsettling, as though there was something amiss in the very air. Though he had found a dreamless sleep before, his mind is now troubled, and the silence weighs on him. Galen stares at the ground before him, inattentive to his surroundings, pondering the dark.

He hardly notices at first when the silence is broken, a sharp snap piercing the night, but there is no denying the laughter that follows. It fills his ears as the creatures approach, the soundless night filled with a warning of blood, snapping his mind back into the world about him.

As the others spring into motion, Galen rises, and, bringing his bow and his quiver with him, he moves over to the wagon, peering over it at the twisted forms in the dark. Galen studies them but a moment as his finger brushes against the fletching of an arrow. Suddenly, it is as if the darkness that had overtaken his thoughts was vanquished, and he finds himself more at ease.

&#8220;Force them closer together!&#8221; he calls to his companions as he draws forth an arrow and nocks it. He holds it moment, whispering, nearly just breathing the words onto the shaft: &#8220;Eyes on the mark; fly true.&#8221; Then, with a twang, the bowstring snaps forward, sending the projectile forth, into the dark.

((Attack roll: [7]+[1]+2=10
Just think, I almost left a quip about Galen failing to hit his target in my note. Oh well. This roll includes his &#8220;Archery Style&#8221; and Thosar&#8217;s &#8220;Bless&#8221; spell. At least Galen can aim better than he can survive.

As per revelation from the giraffe's mouth &#8211;or something like that&#8211; Galen's attack roll is actually 15. Thanks everybody!

I might as well leave a damage roll, just in case this particular gnoll has gained some heavy armor class penalties as a result of, well, laughing.
[7]+[3]=10

Also, as per the same revelation, Galen's damage roll should be 13.

Recap:

Galen stands up &#8211;as I figure he is expected to start from a prone position, this takes 15 feet of movement &#8211;and he moves over to the wagon. This places him at U,2, and I am unsure whether that provides cover of any sort. Thosar gifts him the mighty power of &#8220;Bless,&#8221; which really didn&#8217;t need the extra text to acknowledge. On top of this, Galen adds a &#8220;Hunter&#8217;s Mark&#8221; to his target, using one spell slot. Galen provides his thoughts on how to handle these things, and he fires. His target is Gnoll B at F,7 unless Ludwig&#8217;s position is bothersome, in which case he fires at Gnoll A at H,5.

The map has also been updated.

&#8220;Bless&#8221; is active for 10 rounds, I take it?))

((We just need to hop on that beam weaponry. XD

+2 seems really low for Galen's attack modifier. That accounts for his archery style, but did you add his proficiency bonus and dex modifier to that? Also, if that makes the arrow hit, I'm pretty sure you add the dex mod to damage too.))

((I add the text to inform who gets the blessing, both for the benefit of the players and Mike. Also I agree with Axel. Looks like you might have forgotten those modifiers. Happens to the best of us.

Bless is active for up to 10 rounds. It requires concentration so that may get cut short.))

Nezumi

Sagishi doesn't take long before he is on his feet as he had not yet been back to sleep. The creatures at the edge of the forest are still a little way off but he can make them out just fine. He quickly runs a few steps forward to get out of the treacherous fire light and then aims at the gnoll closed to him.

Attack on Gnoll A (with Bless): 1D20+6 = [16]+6 ;1D4 = [3] =25

Damage: 1D8+4 = [8]+4 = 12

Updated Map

((Thanks for pointing that out. As I said, I was trying to make sure I had everything straight when I had time, but I still should have caught those.

That makes Galen’s attack roll 15 and his damage 13.

And I’m sorry about that, Noisy Ninj4; the comment about not needing the text to acknowledge “Bless” was referring to a point in the narrative I gave Galen’s move. I did not intend for anyone to think it was in direct reference to your post.

I am also in full agreement on this beam weaponry; it would be a blast.

Thanks again.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Gonna rule that there&#8217;s line of sight issues with Gallen hitting Gnoll B and have it go to Gnoll A instead))

The aberrant bipedal hyenas squander what little advantage they may have had--perhaps assuming this group to be nothing more intimidating than a merchant caravan with a few hired swords in tow--and the Endowed answer with an opening salvo that looks to be well beyond what they&#8217;re accustomed to dealing with.

Keranos singles out the clear and obvious leader of the war-pack, easily identified by his heavier build and armaments where the others fight with only their teeth and claws. His hide is a latticework of scars speaking of the hard-fought price of admission to his position of leadership, but he soils the ground at his feet and claws at his head as though he might pry the voices from his skull with only a few whispered words from the young holy warrior. Yelping, he bounds away on all fours into the gloam, leaving his pack looking after him in confusion.

Those in the group that favor the magical arts act with similar alacrity, unleashing a flurry of spells in quick succession: Thosar weaves his divine power to reinforce the actions and defense of those nearest to him. The ground beneath the feet of half the remaining gnolls explodes into an impenetrable thicket of bramble as Nyx transforms herself into a bear and lumbers forth into battle. Fhiess, seeking to take advantage of the gnolls&#8217; animalistic intellect, calls into being the specter of another warrior to create the illusion of greater numbers.

The blessing of Thosar coursing through his quadrupedal frame, Ludwig towers above the battlefield and assumes a defensive position, daring the foolish creatures to come within the arc of the swing of his greatsword and staying his hand until their bloodlust overcomes what senses they have and come at him.

As Galen shouts tactics to the others, his hunter&#8217;s eye locks with one of the monsters coming from the northern flank, and a flicker of unspoken understanding passes between them: Galen has chosen this one as his prey. He looses his arrow, which makes a whistling noise as it pierces the night and bites deeply into the gnoll&#8217;s flesh. Light of foot, Sagishi dances into the fray and unleashes an arrow of his own at the same target, taking it in the shoulder as it howls with fury.

Once the initial shock has passed, the gnolls respond in their mindless, savage fashion. Two of the gnolls burst out on either side of Nyx&#8217;s thicket and immediately start to close the distance while the third--looking significantly more bloodied than its companions--is left thrashing in frothing rage at the boundary of the spiked growth.

Of the war-pack members not caught in the briars, one takes point as it charges toward Ludwig while the other two fall into a rudimentary formation behind him, one of them snapping off the shafts of the arrows that pierce its flesh.

((Passive perception 20:
A faint black vapor emanates from this one&#8217;s wounds.
))

The pack-lord, having regained his senses, returns to the field of battle with his longbow drawn. He gives Keranos a baleful glare of hatred, but evidently decides that Nyx and Ludwig present the bigger danger, because those are who he targets with his crude weapon.

((Attack vs. Ludwig: 1d20+4=23
Damage: 1d8+2=5

Attack vs. Nyx: 1d20+4=9
Damage: LOL, no.))

((New map. Begin Round 2))

The packlord's arrow strikes Ludwig, but gets dulled by his armor, resulting in relatively minor damage. Seeing the gnolls stop just out of his range, the J'raffa opts to go on the offensive, charging into the pack of gnolls in front of him. He attempts to put his hoof through the brain of the gnoll already peppered with arrows, so as to both give his allies an easier line of sight on the remaining gnolls and to see if this whole crushing villains to death thing works as well in practice as it seems like it will in his head.

((Charging forward to trample gnoll A. If it hits and he lives, DC 14 strength check to not go prone and give Ludwig a followup stomp.

Also, quick question. Would it be possible for Ludwig to burn a spell slot to smite with his hooves while trampling? The entry on divine smite is kind of inconclusive.))
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=138064]Trample Attack: 1D20 + 1D4 + 5 = [14]+[3]+5 = 22
[/url]
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=138066]Damage: 2D6 + 4 = [1, 3]+4 = 8
[/url]

((map))

Mike M

Nick N
((Divine Smite says you can fire it off when you hit with a melee weapon attack, and that includes natural weapons if the classification of bite and claw attacks is any indication, so I guess it's kosher.

Gnoll A survived the trample and passed his Strength Save, BTW, so he's still standing))

Nezumi

((I'm going to wait until I know which of the gnolls will be in melee battles so that I can get my stealth bonus on the attack.))

With the battle proceeding well, Thosar stands firm and continues to maintain the divine power assisting his allies. The gnoll left behind by Ludwig provides an opportune target, so he beings his attack there. He vocalizes a crackling, roaring noise while his enclosed fist lights into an angry red. The red light quickly pulses and shoots out of his hand, forming a bolt of fire that sails directly at the gnoll nearest the wagon. He keeps a close eye on the combat, watching for any incoming arrows.

((Using Fire Bolt on Gnoll B:
Attack: 1D20+5 = [16]+5 = 21
Damage: 1D10+3 = [4]+3 = 7

Keeping my reaction to use shield, as earlier.))

Keranos meets the pack leader's glare.

Ignore me at your peril, he speaks telepathically to the creature.

He raises his arms, then swings them downward, pointed at the creature. An enormous bolt of lightning slams down from the sky....

...And misses.

Yet even so, the resulting crack of thunder manages to pierce the air in just such a way that it causes the pack lord, as well as the nearest gnoll, significant distress. Though a little irritated that the lightning bolt missed, Keranos finds the effects of the thunder interesting. He stores this information away for future use.

((Cast Shatter centered on the Pack Lord. He and Gnoll D should make a DC 13 constitution save. 16 Thunder damage full; 8 damage half.

The tree stump on the map also takes 16 damage, in case that matters))

((Hmm. I wonder how the layout of the field might change for Galen if he stood in the wagon –or on it, depending on its construction– at S,1.

Or if that would really do anything at all.))

<I'm not sure what to do, just to clarify having to concentrate on a spell just means not suffering moments where I'd have to roll concentration, and I can do another action?

If so would I be able to make my silent image animate while performing an attack?>

<I'm not sure what to do, just to clarify having to concentrate on a spell just means not suffering moments where I'd have to roll concentration, and I can do another action?

If so would I be able to make my silent image animate while performing an attack?>

((You can't cast another spell with concentration and you have to make a Con saving throw if you take damage, but other then that, you don't have to worry about it.))
Nyx heads south and attempts to make short work of gnoll F.
Blessed Bite Attack;Damage: 1D20+5+1D4 = [11]+5+[1] = 17
1D8+4 = [1]+4 = 5

Blessed claw Attack;Damage: 1D20+5+1D4 = [8]+5+[3] = 16
2D6+4 = [5, 2]+4 = 11

((one thing i'm not sure is if i use my prof. bonus or the animals? its probably not that big a deal for me(it would only give me a +1 right now) since I can keep transforming into stronger animals while leveling up, but other druids would kinda get left behind.))

((also just to be sure the gnoll that has the perception check thing is gnoll A right?))

((almost forgot the map: http://beta.ditzie.com/85200/57d0095592ba5))

<Looks like tricking the enemy with silent image won't be that useful since the Gnoll is or is about to die, so I'll just go ahead and attack Gnoll B and not worry about whether I can animate the image at the same time.>

<Attack vs. Gnoll B: 1D20+5 => (9 + 5) = 14 ; 1D8 => (4) = 4
Map: http://beta.ditzie.com/85200/57d00f5e82371>

Fhiess peeks around the corner of the wagon and heaves his crossbow over the closest wooden prong, then attempts to shoot at one of the beasts surrounding Ludwig.

"Did.. did I hit it?" He wonders, unable to tell from how far away it is.

((just fyi kittenmaster, you get to add your dex bonus to almost all ranged weapon damage rolls, including crossbows. If you want to move the image, you use your action to do so.

Not sure what kind of cantrips you picked up, but if you have vicious mockery I'd recommend using it.))

Mike M

Nick N
((I'm going to wait until I know which of the gnolls will be in melee battles so that I can get my stealth bonus on the attack.))

((That gets a bit tricky with side-based initiative like this. I'll allow you to use your reaction to fire on the gnolls on their turn, though.))

((one thing i'm not sure is if i use my prof. bonus or the animals? its probably not that big a deal for me(it would only give me a +1 right now) since I can keep transforming into stronger animals while leveling up, but other druids would kinda get left behind.))

((My reading is that you use the proficiency of the animal. If that nerfs some druid builds at higher levels, that's on WotC : P ))

((also just to be sure the gnoll that has the perception check thing is gnoll A right?))

((Also Gnoll E at this point))

Nezumi

((That gets a bit tricky with side-based initiative like this. I'll allow you to use your reaction to fire on the gnolls on their turn, though.))

Huh? Why is that? I just figuerd I'll shoot at Gnoll F who has been attacked by Nyx which by my reading if the rule should grand me the stealth bonus. Or am I missing something?))

((Looks like it'll soon just be Galen who needs to act.

In regard to firing at foes past party members, I take it the line of sight issues are likely based on the cover rules. I would assume Gnoll A, in relation to Galen, has three-quarters cover, if not full, at this time. Would Galen have a better shot if he stood at S,1, using the wagon for extra height?

Also, for reference regarding a longbow's range, as the pack leader appears to be using one, Galen, standing at Z,1, could fire without penalty to a target at F,21. That is almost across the entire map going diagonally.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Gonna say that Gnoll A has 3/4ths cover from just about every angle you can get to with a 30ft move speed (and then some) as long as Ludwig is in the way. All the others aren't getting any cover bonuses relative to your position.

Sagishi finished off Gnoll F, BTW))

((Gnoll B would probably be a good target for Galen. He's taken damage from Thosar, Ludwig, Sagishi, and (maybe) Fheiss already and is wide open.

Folks are rolling hot, maybe we didn't need the Bless after all. :p))

Mike M

Nick N
((Yeah, you guys are whittling these guys down before they even get into melee range. This was rated a deadly encounter!))

Galen begins to ready another arrow, but he finds his large quadruped ally has moved between his bow and his target. Rather than risk the possibility of his arrow striking his companion, Galen takes but a moment to survey the scene.

On the far end of the field, one of the gnolls finds itself within the bounds of a magical field of hurt, and the apparent leader of the pack, though having an advantage of range, is focusing on those who seem most able to take the fire.

The creature engaged in combat with Nyx falls to an arrow, and Galen notices just how close one of them is to Sagishi; it is perhaps, even within a dangerous striking distance.

The archer reorients his bow, drawing back an arrow. “Don’t even think about it.”

And with that, the projectile is sent flying toward its target, only the disturbance it creates in the air, and the sound thereof, to mark its approach.

((Attack:
1d20=16

I appear to have rolled before inputting a comment. I think I may be more distraught about that than the fact that I didn’t even get my modifiers in…

Damage:[3]+3=6

And the dice roller is down again. I wanted to leave a comment about the lack of “Hunter’s Mark” on this one.

Also, DeadPhoenix, if I remember correctly, you said Nyx has a passive perception of 20? I just wanted to make sure you didn’t miss your passive perception check.

And it is at this moment that Galen realizes his life has been a lie: Horde Breaker only lets him attack one extra target per turn. It’s still useful, though.))

Top Bottom