• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

((I'm in Orlando until Tuesday or Wednesday night, but I'll try and get posts in where able.))

Ludwig is glad to see people assuring Fheiss the magic bag is fine. "Yeah, you don't need to worry bud. Like they said, different work gets different perks. We're out to save the world, so naturally that comes with more than being a refugee. It's normal to feel bad for being greedy with it,but just remember, greed is good! People are used to associating greed with crazy kings going mad with power and sucking their lands dry, but greed is what keeps markets running. It's what makes business owners run their shops as good as they can. It's no bad thing alone, and if Hogan were here, I'm sure he'd tell you the same."

Ludwig walks along with the horses as Barrow describes their pace and future destination. Grimacing, he says "sheesh, from one mess to another. Hopefully one candidate is running to make the government's role as small as possible."

Fhiess finally gives into the pressure of hunger, and takes a slab of dried bread and uses his own knife to spread a cut of cheese onto it. Somehow reminded of the meal from the inn, he comments, "To think that we've seen far worse than a giant snake already.. I thought the hobgoblins were going to be the worst of it- now that I think of it, we never did find out what was wrong with them."

The elf listens carefully to Barrow's explanation of the political climate of their destination, but becomes a little lost about the mushroom farm business.

He later responds a bit uneasily to the advice on greed. A part of him knows it is true, but it will be difficult to admit, "I ah.. will keep that in mind, Ludwig."

Thosar muses on Ludwig's disdain for representative government. "Perhaps the red tape is a burden, but those most affected are involved in the process. If they find it a problem, they are free to remove it. It's something of a free market for power, rather than wealth."

"So, Fheiss. Who do you know in Bellows? I have couple colleagues there myself, mostly through archaeological spelunking and the history department."

Ludwig, seeing another opportunity to talk about the burdens and tyranny of government, gladly engages Thosar in conversation, craning his neck to the portion of the wagon the elven wizard is in.

"A democracy does beat the hell of a king's dictatorship if that's what you're saying. At least people in theory get some say about the size of the government they want. Now whether the people they vote for actually listen to the people if they say to make it small enough to fit in a gnome's bath is another thing all together. And hey, the injustice of taxes are a little easier to stomach when the citizens basically endorse it with a vote." He pauses a moment before adding "But taxation is sill totally theft."

Rarely has Thosar been able to actually discuss his field of expertise. Years of historical study have finally meant something more than stacks of dry papers and agonizing lectures to disinterested students.

He meets the heavily armored creature's gaze.

"Perhaps, but when government services that people vote for are provided it's not like the resources to do so come from nowhere. If they do not tax, then revenue mist come from elsewhere. Would a fee for services be more amenable? If so, then is a change of payment structure a moral issue or more of an economic one?"

((Sorry of this ends up bogarting the scene))

Fhiess taps his finger on his chin, "Even during my enrollment, instructors have come and gone, but I was originally meant to study wizardry and become a more full fledged scholar and researcher before turning my interests to art; I was thinking that there was a strong chance of finding somebody that could direct us to where we could seek further knowledge."

"Ah, I see. Funny thing about studying wizardry. I was originally meant to spent my life cloistered as an acolyte of Boccob, never to be a wizard myself despite having a great deal of studies in it. During my reasearch, I determined that you can't understand it without practicing it in the first place. So, I ended up moving from one college to another until I found a mentor in Telmur to start my path in wizardry.

You're probably right about finding someone to consult on the history. Plenty of records in Hammerfall to be sure."

((If Ludwig and Thosar derail things too much, I'm sure we'll get a DM issued STFU XD))

Ludwig smiles. So far he's run into plenty of peasant types who scoffed at his message, but it makes sense that a seasoned academic would ask some probing questions and see the light of Liberty.

"Well first, people voting for a service does not automatically make it just. A majority can vote for the creation of an agency that exists to oppress Tieflings, or to run unpopular businesses out of practice. Taking people's money to shit on them doesn't seem right to me."

"The tax issue is completely moral. I hate to admit it, but even though it would be a cold day in the Nine Hells before it happens, a government agency could hypotheically be efficient at some point somewhere. But Governments are coercive, and it's theft because they come to you and say 'We're taking your money for this, give it to us or else.' If you don't pay up, they try to arrest you, and if you fight back, they kill you. Opting in to a service and paying for it is completely different than the state shaking you down."

"Governments ought only exist as instruments of the gods," says Keranos. "And those that prove themselves unworthy to rule should be overthrown - much like the gods themselves. I see no problem with a government that upholds the ideals of a wise and just divine being. Taxes should be used only to maintain the government, to help its people, and to crush its enemies. Nothing more, nothing less."

Ludwig shakes his head and frowns. "See, that's just a straight up theocracy, and that can get oppressive real fast too. I guess it's not so bad if you have a whole nation's worth of people willingly worshiping the same god and staying there, but punishing people for liking the wrong one gets real dark real fast. The taxes are still stealing from people at spear point, and even if it's for a good purpose, that goes and taints it when private charity wouldn't. Crushing enemies is fine, but when a government is doing that it spirals into expansionism real quick. Though I am with you on overthrowing bad governments. The only bad part is that it's a lot harder for a nation's populace to overthrow a government than it is for the free market to overthrow a big, evil business."

Mike M

Nick N
((I actually always really dig in-character banter, but I don't want Nezumi and DeadPhoenix to get too overwhelmed playing catch up. We hit kind of a slow spot without need for taking actions, but I promise we're getting to that : )))

Thosar recalls that Forgerun was previously a monarchy founded by one Old King Hector prior to the Hauntaur Empire, which imposed a form of representative democracy for local governance. With the fall of the empire, Forgerun adopted this system as their own, but have in all other aspects repudiated the Hauntaur.

The tunnels that run through the mountains to the White Wastes were originally carved out of the stone by the Hauntaur, though no one can properly recall what their purpose were, thanks in no small part to deliberate efforts to strike their mention from history. The tunnels are not used, but Thosar is unaware of any particular mandate disallowing it; it simply seems a waste to travel to a land full of ice and devoid of civilization or resources.

Codex updates:

"Nonsense," says Keranos. "No god worth his salt would ever force anyone to worship him, nor should a government. If they tried, they would be overthrown, either by the population or, ideally, by the god himself. All the problems you mentioned are self correcting, so long as the god overseeing things is competent and just.

"Ah, but perhaps the gods you're accustomed to dealing with in J'raffa country are all charlatans, and you simply lack perspective on the matter."

Nyx up till now, hopefully hiding her own feelings on most of this conversation, but is now suddenly willing to speak up "Oh wow. I actually have to agree with Ludwig on this. And uhh... Nevermind."

"The free market only exists where the sanctity of property can exist, however. Such a right can only be provided by a government. In an anarchy, there is no such assurance of security outside of situations where all involved are benevolent, unified, make economically rational decisions, and have similar levels of information." He shifts a bit, fixing a small tear in his cloak by placing a finger along the raged edges.

"Anarchy can work on small scales, but anything bigger than a small town requires a level of organization commensurate with the structures of a large organization or government, both of which will extract resources to continue operating whether it be through taxes or fees levied.
If those in power are removed, then some other person or structure will take their place. Tyranny is the natural evolution of a power vacuum."

Thosar looks over at Nyx after she speaks. Having almost forgotten her presence, he looks a little surprised. "Ah, well, actually yes. Typically cults and theocracies tend to be the hardest structures of power to remove as they involve moral, cultural, and political revolution. Initiating one of those is hard enough, but all three? It takes a truly exceptional circumstance to remove religion from power, more so where divine intervention occurs. Some are benevolent and help their people, but those that are not tend to be tolerated as long as its populace is allowed to exist in static conditions."

He muses on that a moment. "That's what my studies of history show, anyway. I've no records from Aglea so maybe things work differently there."

Keranos shrugs and makes a dismissive hand waving motion, as though the matter is closed. He watches the road, deciding not to participate in further discussion on this topic.

Ludwig is elated to have Nyx agreeing with him, even if only a little. Keranos bows out of the conversation before he can reply, leaving him to carry on with the scholar as the technical discussion gradually starts going over the J'raffa's head.

"I'm not sure I'm convinced restrictive government is really necessary, that sounds like it's just a way of saying it has to be like that. Rationality is fundamental to all sapient life I know of. People, in groups small, or in larger startups if cities interconnect into what resembles a state, can provide that security. Those who don't respect contracts will find themselves unable to conduct transactions once word spreads."

Ludwig's head bangs against the head of the window, as he was too distracted talking to properly match his pace with the wagon. After a moment of cursing, he rights his pace and continues along. "I'm not necessarily saying we need anarchy. If such a peacekeeping group insists on being called a government, so be it, but it should do no more than prevent violence and uphold the sanctity of property and contracts. Anything bigger and it becomes coercive and rife for corruption. That is what I've seen in Baglahm, and what I have seen from my time here."

"I believe you think too highly of the rational abilities of the pub-" He cuts short at the small scene when Ludwig misplaces the carriage momentarily. Though they haven't been on the road more than an hour or two, he gets the sense that the rest of the wagon may not be as invested in the finer points of economics or political science.

After Ludwig returns to the conversation, Thosar concludes it. "I suspect we should return to this later. Perhaps when we have less walking to focus on."
A beat passes. Just before Ludwig can extricate himself, Thosar pipes up again.
"Is there the equivalent of a handshake among your people, Ludwig. It seems somewhat awkward to end on that note without a sign of respect and amiability. Maybe a friendly pat on the nose?"

Ludwig clears his throat and says "Yes, another time then. Wouldn't want to bang up the wagon and give myself a concussion. Normally we bump hooves as the equivalent of a handshake, but getting a hoof in the buggy would be hard, so a nose pat works just fine."

Thosar nods. "Fighting for your beliefs is no easy task. May the light of Understanding guide you." He reaches out and rubs along the bridge of the paladin's nose. Though somewhat stained by inks and powders, his hands are mostly soft and supple. Small ridges are noticeable on a few fingers, roughly where he would handle a quill.

Galen sits in the wagon, his bow resting against his shoulder. As they begin to move, and the chance of some major interruption falls behind them, he pulls out a pen and a piece of paper.

As he writes, though, the conversation around him becomes a debate about governing bodies and what they really are for and should be. Galen, though still trying to write, finds himself paying close attention to the conversation at hand, though he does not readily join in.

Once his writing is finished, though, he directs his attention to Keranos.

“I was wondering if I could ask you something,” he begins. “Yesterday, you said you were the god of storms, imprisoned for a few millennia. Just a moment ago, though, you seemed to indicate that any god who is unfit to hold power ought to be removed from godhood.” He pauses a moment. “How do you view your imprisonment in this light? Might they be somehow related, or have you some other idea?

The writing on the paper said:
Dearest Ellesmira,

I am sure the recent events at Telmur will be known to you by the time you read this, if they are not already. While I was in the city at the time tragedy befell, I made it out unharmed. There is no need to be concerned for me.

However, with this event, it appears my travels will have to be prolonged, and I know not what lies ahead. The road forward lies with uncertainty, and already I fear that worse may yet come.

Whatever may pass, I hope to return soon.

May the Light shine upon your path, even in the darkest of nights.

Galen

Keranos opens his mouth to speak and finds no words at first.

He shifts around uncomfortably and stammers a bit before managing to put together a sentence. "Th-that was completely different," he says. "I ruled the heavens with a fair and just hand. The traitors who imprisoned me had naught but jealousy and a lust for power as their motivation. Yes, since then I have apparently been vilified and slandered by the usurper's devout, but you know what they say about the winners writing the history books."

As much as he tries to hide it, it's not difficult to see that Keranos is far less sure about this than he is about most of the things he says.

Galen is silent a moment before he responds.

“I do indeed know what they say about the history books.” He appears calm, and his voice is measured. “In fact, I have written a couple myself. Entirely fictitious, of course, and not on my own.”

He stops and takes a deliberate breath before continuing. “I did not intend any insult to you, Keranos, nor did I intend to question your sincerity, and I apologize if it is, perhaps, not a topic you wish to discuss at this time. I was merely wondering if you had any thoughts on it; that is all.

“Be at ease, my friend: a usurper is oft unfit himself to rule, and his failings find him in due time.”

Until now Fhiess had busied himself finishing his breakfast, silently admitting not having much to contribute to the discussion of political values and beliefs.

He thinks about Keranos' words carefully, but he is unable to find suggestion for such a background on such a higher level, and for such a fickle personality. Finally, he asks Galen, "Ah, so you've contributed to historical guides- any that I may have seen? You say that it's fictitious, so you mean that they were written under guidance by the kingdom- the victors that now own this continent so to speak?"

A small grin touches upon Galen’s face.

“Nothing quite so grand,” he says. “It was a large mind game, a race where the only option was to win. The books were intended entirely to provide a misrepresentation of history, to hide important places and figures, just slipped into the right hands. I would certainly hope they have not become widely circulated at all.”

Fhiess scratches his cheek, "I suppose it was a sort of private contract? I suppose it isn't my business to know more, I take it... I never considered until now that history could be so misconstrued and mistold.." He begins to drift to new thoughts aloud, "I know that sometimes we artists fudge details to embellish a noble's appearance here and there, but to think something like that bronzed statue of the king and the exaggerated portrayal of the mayor as a mentor figure can change how they are perceived in history."

Keranos sniffs and makes a face. "Truly, if anything good can be said to come of that mad clown's appearance, it would be that that abomination of a statue will never again see the light of day."

“Yeah,” Galen says, “you could call it a private contract.”

On the subject of statues, he adds “Statues can have a great impact on the public perception of people or events, actually. Many times they depict a subject as glorious or powerful, and those without the right frame of reference have no way to see beyond what they are shown. The same is also true in reverse, and a great hero could be vilified.

“The way things are presented holds power”

But he makes no comment on the statue from Remdormo, as he is nowhere near familiar with the subject.

Mike M

Nick N
As the debate on the proper role of government in a civilized society ranges far and wide, encompassing a variety of intersectional topics, Barrow’s eyes start to droop and his bearded chin starts to lower to his chest. In short order, the reins fall slack from his grasp as he dozes off while the debate drones on around him. By the time the conversation segues to discussions about the fallibility of recorded history, he is snoring mightily.

The horses don’t seem the worse for wear for having lost his guidance, and continue following along the road at a brisk pace. As the sun begins to dip toward the horizon and the skies begin to purple, they pull off to the side of the road of their own accord and come to a complete stop.

“Huh? Whuzzat?” Barrow says as he starts to wakefulness from the sudden cessation of motion. He takes a moment to recover his bearings, giving a puzzled look at the horses as he consults his map. “Blimey,” he says more to himself than anyone else. “They stopped near exactly where I be pointin’ out this mornin’. I think these be more than just clever beasts we be dealin’ with.”

The road comes only a few hundred yards distant from the northern edge of the forest, and there is nothing but tall grass waving in the gentle wind as far as the eye can see on the other side. In the fading light, the darkness in the woods deepens like shadows clotting together to obscure and conceal what lurks between the trees. In the sky above, the flowing veins of violet light slash like scars across Nyx and the auroras that fill the sky. The heavens are full of light that bathes the campsite in a subtly shifting colors, but the usual shades bear a subtle purple infection.

big_bb32d3ae1cf87618fe30bb2b2e309ca06291df19.jpg

((You guys can work out watch rotations among yourselves and roll accordingly))

((10 hours downtime with 2 hour shifts? There's enough people we could manage 2 on each watch. I'll stay up for the first 6 hours.
Perception: 18+4=22
MikeM:
Using portent.
))

Thosar seats himself near the wagon, quietly reading until deep in the night. Although the activity would seem detrimental to keeping a close watch, he is in tune to the noises and movement around him.

Fhiess takes first watch along with Thosar to try to paint that night sky somehow to record its discovery onto canvas.

< Perception: 1D20+3+2 => (6 + 3 + 2) = 11
Dexterity check for painting: 1D20+3+2 => (16 + 3 + 2) = 21 >

Predictably, his efforts leave him distracted during the watch, but puts effort into darkening the canvas and then painting the transparent lights atop it.

((Passive perception 14. My die roll was lower. I don't understand the watch schedule as described so I'm just going to take second watch, however long that would last))

Keranos spends most of the second watch gazing at the starscape. Occasionally he glances around the camp at his watch partner and at his other sleeping allies, but he keeps to himself, pondering the cosmos.

((Passive perception 14. My die roll was lower. I don't understand the watch schedule as described so I'm just going to take second watch, however long that would last))

Keranos spends most of the second watch gazing at the starscape. Occasionally he glances around the camp at his watch partner and at his other sleeping allies, but he keeps to himself, pondering the cosmos.

((Basically, there are 5 watch shifts of 2 hours each. Two people are always on during a shift. This means everyone gets 8 hours of rest and only needs to spend 2 hours on watch. Thosar is the exception since he only needs 4 hours sleep.)

((Also rolled beneath my passive perception of 13. No one's done fourth watch yet, so I'll stick Ludwig there.))

Ludwig wakes up to take over as Thosar heads in for the night. He sets up to scan the horizon and serve as an imposing presence. Unfortunately, he is a bit hungry from walking all day, and the leaves of the nearby trees look delicious, distracting the J'raffa.

((If anyone wants Galen to share their watch, he’s open; the fourth watch would probably be good, which would now apparently be with Ludwig. So, Axel, if your fantastic giraffe would like an old man keeping watch with him, he can now have that. Otherwise, he is taking the third watch with Thosar unless someone else wishes to claim it.))

As the group settles down for the night, Galen’s gaze sweeps around their surroundings. Grassland with a backdrop of dense forest, everything he could ever ask for.

He soon finds himself seated in the grass, looking at the sky, admiring the shifting glow. He slowly reaches his hand into the pouch at his side, gently removing a small object, and lifting it into the air as though to admire it.
It is a small silver bell, hung on a thin strip of leather intertwined with silver.
As it hangs in front of him, it glistens with the colorful light of the sky.

He remains there a while, staring, as though lost in thought. Eventually, though, he grips the object in his hand, and it is as if he speaks, then he rises to prepare the camp.

((The hidden information above is in case anyone would like to let their character try to see what Galen has, as opposed to just knowing. You are welcome to give that information to your characters regardless if you want. This should, unless Mike M would prefer otherwise, be just before the first watch.

The hidden text below might possibly help people decide if they want Galen with them on their watch, so I would discourage looking before that is settled.

Survival: [6]+3=9 So exciting!
Galen is trying to find the most likely point anyone seeking to harm the group would pass through.

Galen, whilst he admires his bell, casts a mental “Alarm” on the spot designated by his Survival check. The members of the party are exempt.
Perception: [18]+3=21 So that's how the party dies...
))

((I'm all for having someone else to try and offset that less than ideal perception roll, so Galen taking watch four as well works for me. By their powers combined, no one will get past the gazes of team geriatric giraffe.))

Nezumi

((God, this month can really just go and fuck itself. I'll start one more try on my flashback (which is super awesome in my head) today. If I haven't produced anything by tonight (that's German times, just so you know) I'll opt for a short summary of Sagishi standing around and nodding along just so that things can keep moving.))

Nezumi

(OK. this is just not happening at the moment, which sucks because there is a part of me that is really excited about that flashback and wants you guys (and girls?) to read it but for one reason or another I have been running a bit low on creative energy lately and I don't want to keep you waiting even longer than I already have. Thank you once more for the patience you've been showing for me (again). OK, so back on track for now. I'm sure I'll get that stupid flashback in at some other point))

The revelation that he has been chosen to be part of a mission to save the world had put Sagishi in an ecstatic mood. This was just like the story's his mother has always told him. The fact that a dark menacing tower had just dropped from the sky and possibly killed hundreds of people apparently didn't penetrate through this amazement as he his giddiness and wide smile didn't seem to vanish once when they helped the survivors. He assisted the other members as good as he could though it was clear that in his mind he was already somewhere else, exploring dungeons, fighting monsters and rescuing pretty girls.

Since he had no preference to the question, he simply agrees with the other's to turn north first. During the ongoing discussions about free markets and all the politics he keeps silent. Firstly because he doesn't actually understand large parts of it and secondly because from what little he does understand he is pretty sure that on both sides he'd still be labeled a criminal and thrown into jail if he where to pursue his profession openly.

He enjoys the journey greatly and does his best to cheer up everyone's mood with stories and little performances so that the long monotonous hours on the road don't get boring.

((I'm OK with taking either watch. I do think to remember that Thosar wanted to have a scene with Sagishi, so I guess this might be a good time to do that.))

Perception: 1D20+2 = [16]+2 = 18

((Guess that leaves Nyx on last watch. I don't remember specifically trying to get a scene with Sagishi though. Might as well since they have yet to interact much.))

With the passing hours, Thosar gives little comment to Fheiss but does cast an appreciative eye to his steady hand and color choice. Keranos garners little banter as well.

After Sagishi takes watch, though, Thosar gets more talkative.
"You seem unperturbed by recent events. Are you masking yourself or just unaware of the gravity of what has and will happen? If it's the later, please, understand that some or all of us may die on this endeavor. Make sure your affairs are in order."

Nezumi

((OK, probably remembered that wrong.))

Sagishi considers the man's question for a moment before he finally shrugs. "We may die, yes. Or we might not die. I mean technically there is a good chance that one of Barrow's horses decides to get loose and trample over me right here and now. I mean, why bother worrying about all the terrible outcomes when you might as well just look forward to all the good things that might also happen. So I think that rather then imagining a bloody and painful death by hooves I'd rather imagine that a cute girl with two mugs of beer will step from behind that tree now." He waits a few moments. Nothing happens. "Bummer. Though I'm also not trampled, so that is cool."

He pauses again and than adds in a slightly more serious tone. "Look, I hear what you are saying. I'm aware that there is a chance that we'll all die and the world as we know it goes to shit. But then again, maybe we don't and instead save the world and become super famous heroes. I don't know about you but I like the second version a lot more, so I think I'll stick to believing in it for now."

He nods. "I'm here because I'm hoping for the best. What I'm saying is you should be ready in case you die in this endeavor, which is not actually the worst thing that could happen considering what takes place should we fail. In any case, I hadn't heard much about you on the way out. I don't want to pry, but if we're going to set out to save the world as we know it we should know what our strengths and weaknesses are, as well as our friends and enemies. Personally, I don't have any obligations left considering my former university is probably abandoned, so I should be able to provide a scholar's eye when needed."

Nezumi

"A scholar? Oh, you must know a lot of stories then. I'd love to hear them sometime. And me... well... I guess you could say that on the one hand I'm really good at getting people to notice me but on the other hand I'm even better in having them not notice me when I don't want them to." He chuckles to himself. "I also like to think I'm funny but as much as it pains me to admit it I've had mixed reactions regarding that talent."

Thosar grins a bit. "I have the opposite problem, or did. Usually my students ignored me and the other faculty always found me for some petty errand. I focus on arcane and historical studies, there are certainly stories in both fields if you looks past the facts and interpret the connections. I was actually born into this, having been given over to the monastery of Boccob I acted as a scribe and assistant for decades."

Nezumi

((Last post for today as I have to go to bed soon. But I'm not sure if there is much more to the scene anyway unless Mike has some surprises for us in store.))

"Well, considering that I haven't been in Aglea all that long I'd really love to hear a bit more about its history. Maybe once we reach this Forgerun we'll find us a nice tavern and you can teach me a bit about the history of these lands. I promise I'll not ignore you but I fear I might send you to fetch a new mug of beer now and then." He smiles widely at the elf before turning his attention back to their surroundings scanning the darkness for suspicious movement.

Mike:
Just wanted to mention that Sagishi has Darkvision in case that it might be relevant.

Thosar rolls his eyes a bit. "I'll take your word, but the beer is what the tavern wenches are for." He likewise returns to his book and smokes a bit from his long, slender pipe for the remainder of his watch.

Mike M

Nick N
((My view is that passive perception is your ability to notice things without actively searching, while during a watch rotation you'd actively be trying to pick up on anything trying to approach. A low score would just be representative of looking really hard in the wrong direction or something.

Write up forthcoming.))

Mike M

Nick N
As the night falls in earnest, the Endowed and Barrow pair off for watch rotations. The varying intensity of the lights in the sky cause shadows to sweep across the open field and the road like phantoms cavorting in celebration of the recent cataclysm. Anyone familiar with camping beneath the stars would recognize this phenomenon as completely within the realm of normalcy, but tonight it takes on a sinister cast.

The fire seems reluctant to catch, despite the dry tinder and wood scavenged from the nearby trees, which makes the darkness seem even more oppressive. Barrow spends a good hour prodding the coals and arranging the wood in an effort to get something larger going, but eventually gives up in a huff with his hands thrown up in the air, declaring that the Oneiroi must have decided they would rather not have the competition with the gleaming moons of their namesakes in the heavens.

As each watch wears on, there is a growing sense of unease that wells up in each sentry’s heart. It’s not the problems with the fire, it’s not the shadowy phantasms of the inconsistent lights of the night sky…

Eventually everyone comes to the same realization; there’s no noise. No crickets, no owls, nor the sounds of any other nocturnal creature. Even the wind is absent, the grass standing at silent attention instead of undulating like green waves, the trees as still as tombs. It’s as though the whole world is holding its breath.

It is not until the final hour of darkness before dawn that the smothering silence is broken. A twig breaks somewhere to the south, but it sounds like cannonfire after hours of sitting in a mute world. The snapping of a branch follows, then another. A hysterical, manic giggling sounds in the distance, but does not stop. It grows louder as it approaches and seems to be coming from half a dozen directions at once.

At last, a pair of eyes steps clear of the treeline, glowing green in the trace amounts of firelight that reach it. The giggling noise--though now any previous relation to humor the noise might have held is difficult to imagine--emanates from its slavering muzzle as it approaches, alternating between a loping four-limbed walk and standing on two legs, its lips retracted in a snarl to reveal irregular, savage teeth.

It is presently joined by another of its number, its eyes alight with depraved malice.

And another.

And another.

And three more.

The gnolls form a rough semicircle some distance from the campfire, yipping and calling to each other in their own beastial language as their hackles raise.

((These guys did REAL bad on their stealth check. Roll initiative. Also, Song of Fire, do you have a token you want to use for Galen?))

Top Bottom