• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

((While we're waiting... do we have a second new player as well? There were two figures described as going up the hill.

Also... welcome to the party (yuk yuk), Ninj4!))

Mike M

Nick N
((Yes, we've got Song of Fire joining the game as well. I'll leave it up to him if he wants to detail what his character was doing when things went to crap, or if he just wants to jump in when everyone gets to the hill. : )

For anyone lurking, this effectively caps how many people we can handle, though I would make exceptions to those who have standing invitations (you know who you are!). If anyone is still interested, I can start a waiting list in case we lose anyone.))

Nyx is mostly busy being shocked by all that just happened, and disappointed she can't do anything about it. While riding a talking giraffe.

Mike M

Nick N
The screaming masses go in all directions once beyond the gates to the castle, but only those who heard the voice summoning them--and Barrow, following Keranos--travel the path that leads to a small plaza some distance from the castle. The figure stands in a well-manicured garden filled with exotic plants and sculptures, just beyond a gate set with ivory carvings and a waist-high dry stone wall made of gleaming white rocks. Next to him is a high elf in lightweight armor and a middle-aged human in a cloak with a longbow slung across his back. It should scarcely be twelve bells, but already the sky looks dark as night. With the benefit of distance to properly perceive the shape of the thing, the unknown object descending upon the palace becomes clear.

the_dark_tower__the_gunslinger_by_conzpiracy-d5xs4cu.jpg

It is a tower. An elaborate structure with many spirals, spires, buttresses, and other wicked flourishes, all of it appearing to have been chiseled from a single piece of obsidian. The foundation tapers into a conical point that is slowly lowering itself from the sky amid a flickering cloud of a flying vanguard.

The figure tears his eyes away from the sight, his face stricken and his aged cheeks streaked with tears. He looks over the seven he has summoned. “Is this all?” he asks with a creaking voice. “I was hoping for more. There should have been more.”

((And now introductions!))

After waiting a few minutes, Thosar finishes his trek up the hill and approaches the elder gentleman, leaning against one of the sculptures and quietly waiting for the other parties to arrive while keeping an eye on the descending tower. Once the others make their way up and the older human takes notice of them, Thosar looks around at the strangers before him and then looks down. He had made public speeches many times before as a lecturer, but that was simple droning about facts in front of disinterested students. Here, he stood before a monumental moment and was frozen. What should he even say? He kept his gaze low at nothing in particular, waiting for someone else to speak.

((Welcome to the ride! :D))

The tension around the figure and the two newcomers is palpable. Understandable, given the events that lead to their gathering here. In an effort to break the silence, he says "So, did you guys come here because of the voice in your heads too?" About two seconds after the words left his mouth, Ludwig realizes the phrasing was less than ideal, and face palms hooves at the slipup.

The silence continues until Nyx makes a compensation quip. The J'raffa bursts into laughter, and with some difficulty says "That he does! I bet that clown's the type of guy that has a fleet of needlessly large, flashy carriages in that building!"

Fhiess is awe stricken by the moment the image of escalation portrays itself in the form of an endless spire. Suddenly, everything that had happened prior seems trivial compared to what the future holds in store.

Failing to grasp the joke, Fhiess notes Nyx' comment and Ludwig's elaboration, "I know. Why would he feel the need to trap the King trapped in the mirror.." he tries to think of the word, "-world, when he seems powerful enough as it is?"

He finally hops off of Ludwig, which gives him a chance to holster his weapon properly. He steps forward to the strangers, including the man upon the hill, and gives a short bow with a bit of uncertainty in his voice, "Ah, hello.. I.. assume we are needed here?"

Nyx gets a snicker out of Thosar with the compensation crack. The tension he had felt earlier eased somewhat.
"Y-yes I was called here as well. Whether we are needed is yet to be seen." He glances at the figure standing silent in the garden, then back at the others, examining Ludwig more closely than the others. "I suppose greetings are in order. My name is Thosar, a scholar and mage of modest skill. At your service." He bows shallowly, then looks toward the tower once introductions are finished.

"So.. you're saying a clown summoned that great edifice descending from the portal and sent King Dio there? I had feared an assassination attempt, Telmur is more stable than most kingdoms but sees its share of political machination. Unfortunately, this sounds much worse."

Thosar racks his brain trying to recall anything about that tower, or its design.
((History check: 19+7=26))

Keranos blinks at Nyx. It takes him a second or two, but he gets the joke, and he begins to snicker.

The snicker gradually gets louder and intensifies. A minute later, and he is cackling. Tiny tears begin to accumulate on the outside corners of his eyes.

Just before he looks to be on a descent toward hysterics, the laughter twists and morphs into a bellow of pure rage.

"RRRAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

He turns to face the tower. A jagged current of electricity twice over as wide as Keranos himself slams forth from the heavens not five feet in front of him. The clouds in the very immediate vicinity grow dark. Wind howls and whips about from all directions. The very earth itself begins to tremble.

Keranos tears off his armor and hurls it in front of him. He falls to his knees, his agonized scream never once letting up, looking toward the top of the tower with pure contempt.

And then the wind lets up. The clouds revert as easily as they'd turned. The tremors subside. His scream dies out. He bows his head.

"All that power, and look at how far it got me," he mumbles. "I couldn't save them. I couldn't protect them."

Ten seconds pass.

He raises his head and stands up, his face a blank slate. He retrieves his armor and patiently straps it back to his body.

He looks at Thosar and nods. "Keranos." Passing his gaze briefly over the other new face, he then looks to the old man. "You know what happened," he says, in a tone just shy of accusation. "Explain what's happened here and what right you have to compel us all to gather here at your behest."

((I know we're probably waiting for Song of Fire to post his piece, I just wanted to get that in before the next big storyline post))

Mike M

Nick N
Thosar retains his keen faculties, despite the unprecedented mayhem he has just escaped, and brings his academic mind to bear on trying to identify the tower.

He's certain it's not dwarven, right from the start. Even when they're given to building freestanding structures outside of caverns and tunnels, they're squat, broad things, all angles and few if any curved lines. There's no attempt in recorded history of them attempting anything like this, and dwarven recorded history goes a long way back indeed.

There's a very low probability it's elven, too. It's even less likely to be something built by the hands of wood elves than it would be by dwarves, and it lacks the elegant grace of high elf architecture. There's a... cruelty to its construction that's difficult to quantify. Drow? From what is known about them, it seems like something they might build in the Underdark, but then why would it be coming from the sky such as it is?

Nothing in human history seems to conform to it either, or at least nothing that anyone bothered to write down. It would stand to reason, however, that if the tower is appearing in this place and time, then it would have disappeared in another, and surely that would not have occurred without comment in any record anywhere in Aglea. Such a black mark--

Black. The tower is black. The expulsion of the Hauntaur empire from Aglea was an unusually thorough process that left little of their architecture standing, but what has survived to the modern age is almost without exception comprised of black metal. Not enough of it exists to form any clear picture about what Hauntaur construction may have looked like, and this appears to be crystalline rather than metallic, but a ready case could be made that only the most durable and hardy of their creations would survive their makers by such a long period of time. If Telmurian history is to be believed, King Telmur was instrumental in their extermination, so they'd definitely have an ax to grind if they survived...

For all his learning, Thosar can only speculate as to the nature and origin of the tower.

Fhiess becomes quick to calm the emotions of the young avatar despite having trouble with his own composure, looking over him and saying, "Hogan always said that nobody plans failure, but plan success based on them. I don't see how we could've possibly predicted this would've happened."

Bardic Inspiration: 1D6 => (5) = 5

Mike M

Nick N
((Not sure what good Bardic Inspiration would do at the moment, but hey, it's there for the next 10 minutes of in-game time. KittenMaster, I believe that's your third use since you guys last rested (unless I'm wrong. Once aiding Sagishi's act, once on aiding Ludwig, now this), so you'd be tapped out for the time being.))

((Hey everyone!
Sorry I haven't posted yet. Apparently I will get a more substantial post finished later, but for now he is just observing anyway; he is still assessing the situation. And Nyx does not appear to have amused him.))

Nezumi

((Damn, I actually had a nice idea to squeeze a tiny background piece in here but there is no way I find the time to write it in the next few days. Oh, well... another time then.))

Sagishi clambers down from Ludwig's back, swearing to himself not to repeat this experience any time soon. Though aching bones quickly become nothing more than an afterthought when he watches with the rest as the dark and ominous structure descends from the sky. The sight leaves him transfixed enough that for a while he doesn't pay attention to his fellow companions and the new arrivals until Keranos' biggest tantrum to date brings him back into the here and now? Not for the first time he wonders whether godhood and puberty really were that great of a match up.

He only shortly acknowledges the elf with a nod of his head and telling him his name, ignoring the bowman completely as his attention is immediately drawn in by the poor old man that apparently has called them here. He steps over to him, placing an arm around the old man's shoulder in comfort.

"Are you well, mister? Did you call us? What is that thing? Is it the reason you are crying so much? I mean sure it looks bad now but..." Sagishi looks at the architectural monstrosity once more. "... well, OK, it looks really really bad now but still 'the cherry tree won't flourish when watered with tears', my mother always used to say."

Mike M

Nick N
The old man shakes his head and the hood falls back from his face. If anything, the wrinkles on his face look to have deepened in the short time since the others have arrived. “There is no time,” his voice has grown even more frail as he searches the interior of his cloak with palsied hands. He produces what looks to be yellow quartz crystal about the size of a clay brick and presses it into the hands of the person standing nearest him. It glows softly with a slow pulse.

“Listen to me!” he wheezes. His frame is withering before your eyes. “I could not stop him in my world, but I have done all I can to aid you in yours. The child, the child is his anchor. Liberate the child, and he will fall. You seven have been Endowed with the means to stop him. There will be others. You must find them, they must bequeath their power to you, or you must take it by force. Only then can you stand against his Phobic Anima. The child… you must… the child…”

The man’s face looks like jaundiced leather stretched over a bare skull, now. His sunken eyes roll back into their sockets as his legs give way. Before his desiccated body even hits the ground, it disintegrates into sand that blows away in the wind, leaving only an empty cloak behind.

With a thunderous crash, the obsidian tower touches down, it’s pointed base crushing the palace and a large portion of the surrounding city as it drives itself into the bedrock. The discoloration of the heavens collapses into itself, returning sunlight and blue skies to the world. A glowing wall of violet grows from the perimeter of the tower, gradually tapering until it fully encloses the structure in a blasphemous chrysalis. None of the nightmarish creatures that accompanied its arrival seem to have ventured beyond the boundaries of the barrier before it was erected.

For the time being, the moment of crisis seems to have passed.

Barrow scowls as he pulls out his pipe and begins stuffing it with tobacco. “I’m sure he meant t’say the eight of us,” he huffs as he lights it. “Probably just didn't see me standin’ behind Ludwig, is all. Mistake anyone could make, really.”

He thrusts his chest out and makes a few experimental pumps of his biceps. “Ye know, I think I feel it! I feel more powerful! Like I have the strength of all of Old King Hector’s line flowin’ through me veins!” He steps over to a decorative landscaping boulder and rubs the palms of his hands together. “Why, I bet I could heave this as easily as a wee babe! Ye best stand back, now!”

The stocky dwarf flings himself at the rock and wraps his arms as far as they will go around it. His face purples as he grunts with effort before giving up after a prolonged moment. “That’s okay,” he pants, mopping his brow with a kerchief. “I just need t’work meself up to it. A man’s liable t’hurt himself, havin’ all that unbridled power come upon him all at once. It only makes sense.”

Despite Barrow’s failed display, you note that you do actually feel more capable than you did before, if only slightly.

((Level 4!))

Codex updates:

Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=133326]Lvl 4 HP: 1D10 + 2 = [6]+2 = 8
[/url]
Ludwig returns Thosar's greeting "Ludwig, part-time carpenter and full-time defender of the free market, pleased to meet you. I'd shake your hand, but," he holds up one of his hooves, "J'raffa anatomy isn't well suited to that particular custom."

His attention is then diverted by Keranos's outburst. While Ludwig still respects his propensity to try and fight all evil everywhere, he doesn't envy the guy. Trying to hold himself to the standard of a god while still limited to the power output of a kid is clearly taking a toll. Ludwig would try and console him, but he figures that's a job for a well-qualified therapist to take on at a reasonable, bargained for rate.

He then directs his attention to the old man, glossing over the silent, middle-aged one. Ludwig just figures that he values his privacy and solitude; it would be rude to try to talk to someone who wants to be left alone.

After the man gives his explanation and the tower touches down, Ludwig shakes his head. "Mother fucker, I think we all just got roped into saving the world from some kind of inter-dimensional crisis or something. And to think, I just came here to look for leads and take a long shot at ending the spread of the state."

He considers just walking away to continue his quest for liberty and revenge, leaving this whole tower and Phobic Anima mess to be sorted out on its own. What could go wrong?

In the next town over, Ludwig inquires about an assassin wielding a hammer and sickle. It is a futile effort, as everyone is occupied with the whole tower from the sky thing. Giving up on that, he looks around to a chance to further free enterprise. In doing so, he happens upon a little girl crying with her head buried in her arms. The J'raffa approaches her, asking if she's lost. She looks up, and to Ludwig's horror, the little girl's head is that of some kind of demonic fish monster. With an ear-shattering screech, it sprouts scaly wings as it becomes enveloped in chains. It continues to shriek, and with each shriek, someone in the streets drops dead. Ludwig high tails it out of there, unable to take on such a monstrosity by himself.

He runs and runs and runs, eventually hitting a coastal city. Everyone he tries to talk to along the way sports the same demonic fish face. Arriving at the dock, Ludwig finally finds a ship captain that is human and begs him to sail Ludwig to Baglahm, going so far as to offer all the money he has on his person. "Sure thing," says the captain, "but just one thing first." The captain rips off his face, revealing yet another fish monster. "Don't you think there should be some kind of single payer system the government supplies to help make health care more affordable?" With a shriek, Ludwig runs away.

After months of building a shoddy raft and sailing across the ocean, a beaten and battered Ludwig returns to Baglahm. By the time he has made his way back to the central continent, he is feeling thoroughly defeated and dejected; he has essentially given up on avenging Carl or spreading love for free markets and deregulation. His only solace on returning to his village is that his favorite artisanal roughage stand is still there. He slinks over, hoping to at least get something good to eat.

The owner of the stand, a young female J'raffa Ludwig has known for most of his life, greets him warmly. "You're back sooner than I thought! Did you do everything you set out to already?" Ludwig sighs and says "I'm afraid not. The world outside Baglahm is a strange, strange place. Leaving was a mistake." "Aww, well I'm sorry to hear that, this one's on the house then." A plate slides out for Ludwig, but as it does, the J'raffa sticks her head through the curtain hanging over the top of the booth. To his horror, her head is the same fish monster from the kingdom of Telmur. "I'm just saying, things would be better if the public controlled the means of production." There is only screaming. Everything is Phobic Anima.
With a shudder, Ludwig stops daydreaming. "Yeah, I think we're stuck with this one." The direness of the situation is alleviated a little with Barrow's antics. Ludwig laughs and says "Of course, it was a simple mistake and he didn't look like all his faculties were there." As they think on the power endowment, Ludwig does notice that he feels a little heartier. More importantly, he has a painfully obvious idea. As careful as he was to not step on people in the crowd for concern of hurting them, it logically follows that he could deliberately step on smaller enemies to knock them around and hurt them. Why hadn't he thought of this earlier?

((Taking the trample feat we discussed earlier for Ludwig's lvl 4 feat.))

Keranos wrinkles his nose at the old man's apparent disintegration before their very eyes. "How unfortunate," he says with a hint of irritation. He walks over to the old man's cloak and picks it up, feeling around to see if there's anything else left behind in its pockets.

He eyes the yellow crystal that was thrust into Sagishi's grasp. "We'll want to have that analyzed by a wizard, I expect," he says.

His eyes widen and he perks up. He peers across the landscape, looking for escapees from Telmur. "Pip and Tom," he says with some urgency. "I must find Pip and Tom!"

Perception: [7] + 4 = 11, looking for large groups of people fleeing from Telmur

Thosar takes the scene in between a raging avatar, a disintegrating old man, and a talking giraffe. Then, a rush of understanding hits him. Suddenly he understands how to use the more advanced spells he had been practicing for weeks!

To Ludwig, he nods. "Well the state looks to have been thinly spread across much of the city now. Perhaps you weren't responsible for it, but you're in a position to fix that at least. You've been *Endowed*. Frankly, if someone doesn't fix all this I suspect we'll have a tragedy of the commons on our hands, though we might convince someone to bankroll an endeavor..."

He also takes note of the crystal, pulsing with light and an aura of mystery. "When we aren't out in the open, I could probably take a look at it. I've some divination magic and would like to have some idea of what we're dealing with. I have a theory as to the Tower's origin as well but hate to speculate with as little information as we have, maybe this crystal can give us more clues."

Fhiess leaps to catch the withering man before he completely topples over the ground, but like grasping ash, he crumbles into dust and blows away.

Somehow, his panic reaction from earlier when he witnessed the king's capture had destroyed something in him, with newfound growth spurring in its place. Clutching his hand to his chest, he closes his eyes and states, "So there's still hope to right this wrong.." When Keranos comes near, he suggests, "Keranos, you haven't failed to save the King yet."

Then suddenly the obelisk crashes down, causing a bit of alarm to settle once more, "T-the city was evacuated, wasn't it? We did see so many people rushing out, right?"

--

Whenever Fhiess finally has the opportunity to acknowledge the newcomers properly, he will nod to them once more and introduce himself, "Well met. I'm Fhiess Lovebliss, a novice Bard." He thinks for a moment, "I.. can't play music well. But I can motivate!"

<EDIT: HP roll 1D8 => 4>

((Wow, I know a guy who used to work there. Good luck, and hopefully you don't have to brave the 405 2b entrance for the commute!))

((Whoa shit, that's awesome. Good luck Mike!))

Something seems a little off about how Thosar used some of those words, but Ludwig pays it no mind, he has someone to talk about the evils of the state with now!

"Yes, exactly!" The J'raffa proclaims, his eyes beaming. "Once the inter-dimensional threat has been dealt with, it will be a perfect time to rebuild a free society here! Yes, yes, funding is important. I bet there are some large corporations out there jumping to help with such a thing. It can be reorganized, made better. Maybe the Great Gulch of Telmur!"

When the subject of what to do next arises, Ludwig says "If you can scry, that seems as good of a starting place as anything else. It might shed some light on these other Endowed we're supposed to get power from."

((All I can imagine now is the relation between Ludwig and Thosar devolving into some version of this:
))

It was a good day to be alive.

The man walked through the busy streets, seemingly aimlessly. He didn’t know to where he was going, nor did he care. He had not seen a celebration like this in quite some time -likely never this big- and he was enjoying the experience of it all.

The smells of food wafted through the air, the chatter of voices filled his ears. The city

was more alive than he had imagined it would be, and he intended to take it all in.
When the parade began, he ceased his wandering, and, finding a good vantage point, he watched the procession go by. Some of the people had simple transportation, some walked, still others had ornate floats. It seemed likely that a fair number of them sought to use the event to impress the king, as though they would gain his favor. Eventually, he
walked off, shaking his head at the spectacle.

As he made his way through the city, the light began to fade all around him, as though the very sky itself was darkening. In response to this curious occurrence, he began to look around for the cause of the change, only to realize that the sky had, indeed, become dark. A scene of horror played in his sight, and panic spread through the streets. The man bolted, weaving through the crowds until at he at last arrived at the door of an inn.

He opened the door, and, careful not to cause alarm, swiftly walked up the steps. Down a hall and through another door waited a small room, furnished with a bed and a chest. He popped open the chest and quickly slung the pack inside over his shoulder, followed by a quiver and longbow from beside the bed. This task finished, he hurried down the stairs and approached the innkeeper, who had his hands full trying to maintain some amount of calm amongst the near-panicking patrons.

“It may be best they all leave,” said the man. “Things are not looking good out there, and it is doubtful these walls will provide adequate protection.

The innkeeper responded: “It’s just some riot. Have you seen the people out there? If anything happens, there is no way to stop it in an orderly fashion. They’re all on edge because of some killer snake. Why, if—”

But he was interrupted by a shriek, frantic ramblings about the sky, more terror. Exasperated, he walked to the window. “Now see here, there is abso—” and he froze.

Before he recovered from the sight outside, the man with the bow was gone.

The situation outside the inn had clearly made no progress in improving, and the man was forced to navigate the wild throng making for the city gates. For all their panic, they did sometimes seem to take on a sense of order, but it was always washed away in the fear.

He was at a loss for a destination; should he stand against the darkening sky, and all the monstrosities thereof, or should he make his way for the gates and safety? As he considered his options, a warning sounded in his mind. He jumped back and out of the way as a horse careened around the corner, pulling an old cart with it. Wherever that warning had come from, he was grateful to have received it.

Not long later, he heard more words spoken into his mind: Come. You must come to me.
- - -
Galen Keene finds himself in the midst of a small gathering centered around a mysterious stranger on a hill; by the words of the long-necked creature, they all received the same summons. What it was for though, is anyone’s guess.

That creature, it seems familiar. Ah, yes, it had been talking with those tieflings as he had passed by.

Galen watches the tower descend as the words fly, a few trivialities –as well as a rather dramatic outburst, whatever that was about- before their summoner speaks. This whole time since arriving at the hill’s summit, Galen has been uncertain, unnerved. And now…

“So it falls upon us than," he says at last. “And yet, we have no idea what we are up against, and we have no direction, nothing to go on.” He pauses a moment.

“Tell me, does any of you actually know what has transpired?”

((Hey, free cloak for Sagishi!
Good luck with your application, Mike!))

((I see we're all on board. Time to get this show on the road!))
The J'raffa's direct question put Thosar off balance.
"Scrying, well... I'm not so skilled as to manage that feat just yet. That'll come in due time."

Before anyone has a chance to reply to Galen's question, he interjects. "Well, I wouldn't say we're completely lost just yet. My understanding is that a clown used a ritual to unleash that tower using something innate to King Dio which he extracted using some mirror artifact. I have a suspicion that the clown and tower are of Hauntar origin or of some precursor civilization. While the material may be crystalline rather than metallic, the color is strikingly similar. I'm not the foremost expert on Telmurian history, however. If we could find an expert, it would potentially give us some clues as to who is doing this and why. From there, we should be able to determine the best way of ending this whole debacle."

Her turns to Barrow. "I think first, though, we should plan where we intend to end up once the day is through. I suspect most here have some reason for going into the city again, but staying here is a dubious proposition."

Fhiess brainstorms, "I used to attend a university in Bellows to become a scholar before shifting my interests. If there is anywhere similar a reasonable distance, I'm sure we could start asking for connections to somebody well versed in pre-Telmur history."

Mike M

Nick N
Examining the mysterious stranger’s cloak reveals that the interior is lined with sewn patches depicting common items. On the other side of the garden is a wagon with a team of horses and a haversack. Inside is 350gp, an unlabeled glass jar filled with a thick substance, and enough food and canteens of water for a day’s travel. Whoever the strange man was, he seems to have at least made some attempt to properly provision his chosen champions for the journey ahead.

They are only faintly visible in the daylight, but a quartet of undulating ribbons of light emanate from the apex of the impregnable tower. One snakes to the north, over and above the impassable Forgerun Mountains. Another reaches far to the southeast, aligned more or less directly with the constant pale orb of Pasithea. A third stretches across the sky, far to the west. The last flows southwest, roughly in the direction of Kingshield and beyond.

Barrow hauls himself up into the seat of the wagon and seizes the reins. “Once ‘gain, it’s up t’old Barrow t’clean up someone else’s mess,” he says with more than a hint of bravado. Almost as an afterthought, he nods in the direction of the Endowed and adds, “With a little help from the rabble this time, I suppose. But it be a bigger mess than usual.”

He looks toward the intersection of light streams at the peak of the tower’s shell. “So which way we be headin’ first?”

Keranos pays Barrow little mind. He is too preoccupied looking off into the distance.

Finally he spots a large cluster of people, off to the north. He bolts in that direction without preamble.

His heart races. The struggle is too much for his young, frail body, and halfway to his destination he is forced to cast off his heavy armor, making only a token effort to hide it behind a tree in some tall grass.

His speed is improved, and he takes full advantage, huffing and puffing all the way until he finally arrives at a vast crowd of people.

With the immediate danger apparently behind them - the winged creatures don't seem to be following -, no one is trampling each other, and so instead they meander about as sheep without a shepherd. Were he to stop and think for a moment, he would estimate that they would be entirely dispersed within a few hours.

But there is no time to stop and think. He has disciples to rescue.

"Pip! Tom!" he cries out wildly, his voice raspy and lacking in air.

He tries again, this time magically amplifying the call. "PIP! TOM!"

Nothing.

He skitters about desperately, the promise that he would protect them weighing heavy upon him. If he can't fulfill his word to two simple street rats, what sort of god can he really claim himself to be?

Five minutes pass. Ten. Fifteen. Still no sign of them. Finally he stops moving and bends to one knee, leaning against his tree to regain his bearings and finally think for a moment.

It's no use. I won't be able to find them. At least not like this. If only I could get higher...

He looks up to the sky, and an idea occurs to him. Eons ago, in his fully-powered form, he was able to project his consciousness to anywhere in the world. He might not be able to do that now, but perhaps if he scaled things back a bit....

((Mike M
Summon my familiar and turn it invisible
))

He closes his eyes and psychically tears a piece of his consciousness away from his body, then pours all of his awareness into that separated piece. His body relaxes, but doesn't quite collapse, remaining propped up against the tree.

Free of his physical form, he wills himself upward, to get a better vantage point, and begins to move over the crowd. Yes.... from here, his perspective is much better.

Less than five minutes pass before he finally spots Pip. He is speaking to an older man animatedly. Keranos's projected consciousness swoops down to look at them more closely.... and then he sees Tom.

The youth is approaching the older man from behind, clearly headed for his pocket.

Keranos wills a telekinetic grip around Tom's replica necklace tight enough to impede his movement, and the boy's eyes widen with confusion and fear. He looks around for an assailant, and finds none.

Don't even think about it, he projects into Tom's mind, and then releases his hold on the charm.

Tom signals to Pip to abort.

"Ah.... well, gotta go! Nice talkin' to ya, Mister!"

They both make a quick exit.

Keranos returns to his body and smiles in relief. He returns to the garden in the hopes of catching up with the others (if they've even left within a half hour of his departure).

((I'm giving up my input on which direction to go since I took off instead. Also, yeah, good luck Mike!))

Before Ludwig can give input, Keranos darts off toward some unknown goal. The J'raffa cranes his head in confusion before returning his attention to the others. "Well, seems like we've got to just pick a trail to follow and go with it." He then thumps one of his hooves on the ground in a small pattern, saying "Eeny, meeny, miny... West!"

Galen mulls over Thosar’s words. A clown, the boy king, long gone civilizations. The situation the elf suggests is convoluted for sure, but, looking at that tower, certainly anything could be plausible.

He turns to Fhiess. “Yes, I do believe that would be a good place to start.” Looking up at the trails of light, he adds, “Perhaps we could choose a direction that could lead us to such a location. But first,” Galen looks in the direction Keranos took off in, “it appears we are already missing someone. It may be best we make sure he doesn’t wander too far.”

Unless action is taken to stop him, Galen places his pack on the ground and walks off in Keranos’ direction.

Fhiess nods, "We've been attacked by hobgoblins once already, and there's no telling how reliable the rangers will be presently given the circumstances." He waits to see where the others plan on heading before following along with anyone.

"It sounds optimal to travel North toward Forgerun and make a stop in Bellows on the way."
Thosar ponders who he might know that could lead to the answers. When Keranos rushes off, he almost follows but then notices Galen keeping pace.
"Well, seems we will be waiting for a few minutes at least. If you don't mind, Sagishi, I'd like to Identify that crystal we've been given. Maybe its magical properties will provide some perspective."

If given the crystal, Thosar takes a lotus position on a garden bench. He whispers Kesa and a snow white owl appears on his shoulder, he strokes her wings and removes a loose feather before she disappears again. Twirling a large pearl in his hand, he chants under his breath for 10 minutes, focusing upon the strange crystal that had been thrust upon them.

((Using a ritual identify spell on the crystal...and if there's time, the cloak too))

"It sounds optimal to travel North toward Forgerun and make a stop in Bellows on the way."
Thosar ponders who he might know that could lead to the answers. When Keranos rushes off, he almost follows but then notices Galen keeping pace.
"Well, seems we will be waiting for a few minutes at least. If you don't mind, Sagishi, I'd like to Identify that crystal we've been given. Maybe its magical properties will provide some perspective."

If given the crystal, Thosar takes a lotus position on a garden bench. He whispers Kesa and a snow white owl appears on his shoulder, he strokes her wings and removes a loose feather before she disappears again. Twirling a large pearl in his hand, he chants under his breath for 10 minutes, focusing upon the strange crystal that had been thrust upon them.

((Using a ritual identify spell on the crystal.))

((Don't forget the cloak))

Mike M

Nick N
Whatever magic imbues the crystal is not immediately identifiable, and indeed it seems to have multiple functions running concurrently.

The closest analog that Thosar can most immediately recognize would be the magic that binds a pair of sending stones. The crystal is entangled with something--possibly multiple somethings--but there's no telling what it is on this end of the connection. The signal might conceivably grow stronger as the distance between them decreases.

More disturbingly, it shares characteristics with the magical theories that describe the function of a lich's phylactery. While it is doubtful that it could ever actually serve such a function, it is definitely capable of containing the life-force of living creatures. The steady pulse appears to be the effect of what small amount of power it already contains, but there is no discernible way to unleash it.

After checking up on the two boys in his displaced form, Keranos returns to his physical body. He opens his eyes to see a middle-aged man holding a bow standing there, looking straight at him.

"I saw you at the garden," he says, standing up and dusting a bit of grass and dirt from the knee of his pants. "Seems that the old man got to you, too. I gather that the others are waiting, if you've been sent to check on me?" He gives the man an appraising once-over and nods. "Very well, then. Shall we head back?"

He begins walking in the direction he came, whether his pursuer follows along or not. On the way back, he makes a point to retrieve his armor.

Those present with Thosar aside from Barrow hear him in their mind. "I suspect this crystal is what is capable of containing the power of the 'Endowed', whatever form that takes. It may also be a means of determining if one is nearby. There's something else..." Thosar trails off, somewhat troubled, before changing the subject. "We should leave as soon as possible. If there is anyone here that might shed some light on our predicament, it's likely they're among the throngs evacuating the city. That is, unless they're a tiefling or some such. I'd imagine they'd be in hiding or using their own escape routes considering just how superstitious the common rabble are. If there's anyone you know that could and would be of help, we should seek to gather them quickly before they disperse."

Before Keranos and Galen return, Thosar sweeps the Garden for any residual magic that might have been missed. ((Using a Ritual Detect Magic))
Once the two do arrive, he relays his analysis to them by thought as well.

“It seems we have all been pulled into this together, yes,” Galen responds before looking toward the tower looming nearby. “Given the circumstances, it may be best none of us runs off alone, at least until we have put some distance between ourselves and that.” Once they are on the move, heading back to the others, he voices a question: “What was that about, anyway?”

Galen makes no comment on Thosar's findings at this time.

"My disciples were among those in the city when catastrophe hit. It was my duty to see to their safety, and one for which I make no apologies. However..." He hesitates for just a second. "Maybe next time I'll check to see if anyone else would like to come along first."

When Keranos receives Thosar's telepathic message, he stares back at him in wide eyed disbelief.

((Technically this is just to Thosar but I don't see any reason to keep it secret from the thread))

Are... Are you a god too?!

Thosar has a quizzical look as he faces Keranos.

The paltry cantrip of sending a surreptitious message is hardly limited to those of divine power. Have you not worked with a mage before?

Strangely, he seems unflapped at the implication that Keranos is a God.

The surprised look in his face drains away and he nods. Then the answer is no. Worry not; the arcane arts have their uses, I'm sure.

"Well then," he says to no one in particular. "Shall we get going? Northward was the consensus, was it not?" He climbs into the cart.

"Ah, do you think this strange man was here mainly to give us that crystal? What do you think we're supposed to do with it, I wonder?"

Fhiess climbs into the cart as well.

Ludwig nods. "North works for me. I only said west because it seemed like someone needed to get things rolling."

Once they're squared away, Ludwig ambles alongside the cart.

((failing sanity checks againstTaking the bar exam today and tomorrow, so posting ability is limited for a bit.))

"Indeed, northward would be my suggestion." Thosar takes a perch on the wagon as well, looking at the cloak left by the man who charged them with saving the kingdom. He examines it for traces of magic as he speaks.

"We'd best make haste. Presumably, the roads shall become choked from the precipitous evacuation of the city."

ThLunarian:
Your question piques my curiosity. Knowing what I do about gods and the Oneiroi, I have been able to align a number of historically critical events. However, the prognostications I make rely on my understanding the world. If you are a god as you have implied, I have not heard of you. I must ask what made you realize your godhood, and where do you fit in the greater pantheon?

Still not at the wagon, Galen walks along in silence for a minute before he turns back to the youth. “If you don’t mind my asking, why do call them your disciples? I would not have expected you to be a leader such as to have people who followed you like that.”

"I am the God of Storms," Keranos says matter-of-factly to Galen. "I've been imprisoned for a few millennia, give or take. I've been focusing on reestablishing a base of followers, and the lads among the refugees are among that small, but hopefully growing, base. Fortunately, they were none the worse for wear."

Seated in the wagon, Keranos rolls the sphere of his necklace between his thumb and forefinger.

Noisy Ninj4
My knowledge of the pantheon in its current state is severely outdated, I'm afraid. I've only recently been released from thousands of years of imprisonment, and where I haven't been forgotten, I have been vilified by Talos, the pretender. My moon is one of the twelve which orbit the planet. In my time, I was the most powerful god in the pantheon, and ruled over all others. The lesser gods were jealous and banded against me, sealing me away. Until now.

Mike M

Nick N
((Sounds like we're going north. Nezumi and Phoenix, anything to add before we move on?))

Thosar's examination of the stranger's cloak identifies it as a known sort of magical item called a Robe of Useful items and knows that detaching any of the patches lining the interior would cause it to become the object it represents. It has the following patches:

2 daggers
2 lit bullseye lanterns
2 steel mirrors
2 10ft poles
2 50ft lengths of rope
2 sacks
3 12ft row boats
3 iron doors
2 24ft wooden ladders
1 portable ram
8 potions of healing
1 rolled scroll with writing (impossible to decipher in its patch form)
1 window (2ft by 4ft)
4 mastiffs
1 riding horse with saddle bags

((The percentile die really loved giving you doors and row boats.))

"Well, this ought to be... useful. Every patch on this robe can be detached to become a useful item like so." Thosar clasps the cloak on and then removes the scroll patch from it. The cloth in his hand grows and shifts into the form of a real scroll. "I wouldn't recommend removing other patches unless we happen to need to use them, since in that form they remain nearly weightless. Now let's see what we have here..." He proceeds to examine the scroll itself.

ThLunarian:
I somehow doubt Boccob, the unattached master of knowledge and magic, would be interested in ousting any particular god without good reason. How did you get free? Did someone find you?

Top Bottom