• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

<I'm actually not sure what Fhiess should do, since I feel like I missed a lot somehow>

((Here's the situation as I (and Keranos) understand it:

-Paintbrush shenanigans
-Ludwig does something that enhances his perception (I am guessing Detect Evil because he was looking for a ghost in the paintbrush), and notices the dudes in helmets. He points them out to everyone
-Sagishi freaks out when he sees them and escapes out the window while hidden inside Ludwig's money sack
-Keranos notices that Sagishi is freaked out by the dudes in helmets and decides to say Hi to them and see what they're all about))

<Oh, okay. I misunderstood the whole bag thing. Would Fhiess had noticed all of this happening or would I need to roll perception?>

Mike M

Nick N
((Fhiess definitely would have noticed Ludwig bringing in the bag and Sagishi dropping under the table since they were both speaking openly about it when it was happening. You really didn't miss much.))

The man who had been doing the speaking thus far nods his head slightly. "We appreciate your generosity and do not intend offense by our refusal. Our order frowns upon the consumption of any substance that might impair the hunter's senses, and our code of conduct exhorts self-reliance and the forbearance of accepting gifts. But we thank you all the same, wokou kauni, and wish you good fortune in your travels."

Fhiess clears his throat, "I think I might have left a jar of oil in that bag."

If possible, he will head outside to look for the bag Sagishi hid himself in, if only to ask him more about what is going on.

Keranos nods respectfully. "And good fortune to you as well. May the gods smile upon you in your travels."

He returns to the table, sips from his mug, and sends an identical telepathic message to Ludwig, Nyx, and Fhiess(once he notices the bard outside the window), one after the other.

I couldn't get much out of them. They call themselves the Visage of the Hunter. It sounds like some sort of bounty hunting organization. Nice fellows, but there's something... otherworldly about them? Obviously they're after our evasive escape artist friend, and I'm curious as to what he's done and whether he deserves it. If we want to discuss this openly, perhaps it's a good idea to get to a more secluded spot.

Fhiess prods the sack a bit after somehow knowing a bit of history about the hunters that he somehow didn't before, "Are you there? How are you going to find safety and still make it early tomorrow?" He finds it troubling that he might be helping (or failing to help) a convicted criminal, but does feel an obligation to someone that helped draw customers and was so quick to be a friend.

Nezumi

In the bag Sagishi is surprised when Fhiess suddenly adresses him. He hopes that the other doesn't peek inside, fearing that he already has enough to explain as it is. Though he has to admit that the elf rises an important question, with the hunters in town, even if they might not be looking for him specifically, going up on a stage for every one to see might not be the safest of options. On the other hand the last week had been the most enjoyable in a long time and he had grown rather fond of his new companions. He sighs. "Yeah, I'm still in here, wishing our long necked friend was an admirer of cushions rather than metal." He pauses. "Look, I know this looks weird, to say the least, and I own you lot an explanation, I guess. I've not yet sure what I'm gonna do about tomorrow, but I have some ideas that might work."

"The story of your lost love?" He asks with a hint of interest. He changes to a suggestion, "Maybe we can get Ludwig to carry you in the bag to an upstairs room to bypass the hunters?"

Nezumi

Another sigh from the bag. "Well, she certainly has some role in all this..." hHe listens to the suggestion. "That's actually a pretty good idea! And maybe you'd be so kind as to bring my bag along, since I left it by my chair during my abrupt departure."

Keranos's message deepens Ludwig's suspicions. He has no problem with helping Sagishi avoid law enforcement, but between that and whatever's going on with him and his fantasy race detector detect good and evil, he needs to have a conversation with the plucky rogue. Getting him to safety seems like a good opportunity to do so.

"Yeah! That does seem like a good idea. I can place you through a second floor window so you never have to be seen entering a place. Just take a sliver of adamantine when you sneak into a room for payment of your covert stay. Stealing from and pissing off state actors is one thing, but I can't approve of denying a private business owner pay for his services."

Keranos polishes off the rest of his ale in a hurry. He stands up quickly, and then stops, grabbing his head to recenter himself. He walks carefully to the proper attendant and drops off a piece of gold as payment for room and board, then marches upstairs in a slightly zig-zag line and finds the room where Ludwig has deposited Sagishi,

He barges in dramatically, and nearly falls over, catching himself on a wardrobe just in time. "You," he says as the rogue worms his way out of the bag, "Have some 'splaining to do, Missur. What have you done? Are you an assassin? A murdriss assassassassinator? I DEMAND you expl-expl-expl- tell us what you did!"

By this point, he is mere inches away from Sagishi, anger plain on his face and an accusatory finger pointed at the rogue.

He hiccups.

Ludwig is still in the process of collecting his bag and withdrawing when Keranos busts in to drunkenly interrogate Sagishi. The bag falls to the ground with a dull thud as the J'raffa stares mouth agape at the spectacle. Eventually, he is able to muster saying "I think we may need to put you in a new inn after this..."

Keranos looks defiantly at Ludwig. "I know ezzackly where I am!" he exclaims. "You're not taking me anywhere! I am the GOD OF STORMS!" A crack of thunder sounds from the distance.

The possibility that the J'raffa was talking to Sagishi does not seem to have occurred to him.

Once Sagishi is situated and Fhiess had brought his bag up, he sets the bag down nearby and muses, "I have to admit being on the run from a former lover in a life of crime sounds.. exciting. What was she like before all of this happened?"

When Keranos storms into the room, Fhess comments, "Keranos, I think you might have had a bit too much to drink.."

Nezumi

((Hmm, I had not expected to get to this point so early in the game. And after my third failed attempt at this post I realized that need to think a bit more before making it because I have to flesh out some pieces of backstory that I didn't think I'd need so soon but I'm just too tired right now to do it properly. I'll get some hours of sleep and get to it first thing on the morning. It also gives Deadphoenix a chance to comment on this whole situation.))

((A drunk thunder god, talking giraffe and thief walk into a bar...))

"Uhh, I meant that for..." Ludwig trails off, starting to realize that arguing with a drunk God is a pointless endeavor. Can gods get drunk? The answer is evidently yes.

"Never mind, the important thing is clearing this up. I'm curious as well Sagishi and I'm sure the others are as well. What is this about? I wouldn't keep Keranos waiting right now."

As he pulls his neck back to keep just a little of his head in the room, he whispers to Sagishi "we'll move you after talking is done. Besides, I have something I still want to ask you if you don't address it with the others."

((I'm tempted to say Nyx got a few to many drinks a bit to fast and blacked out because I'm being lazy about reading what i missed the last couple of days...))

Mike M

Nick N
As Ludwig is the only one outside (mostly), he is the only witness to the departure of the hunters that have so rattled Sagishi. Silently, they exit the tavern and begin to slip away into the crowd of people that remain on the streets this time of night.

The last to leave stops abruptly in the middle of the cobblestone street and raises his head. He scans the buildings around him for a moment before moving on with his comrades, the wolffish aspect of his helmet lending to the act the impression of a predatory beast catching the scent of its prey.

Nezumi

((Sorry for the delay. I wish I actually had a good excuse but admittedly I just went into full blown sloth mode. I tell ya, hammocks are probably the most deadly thing for productivity there is.))

Sagishi clumesely wriggles himself free of the bag, rubbing his behind where he hit himself on the adamantine after being dropped down rather rough. The sight of an obviously drunk Keranos might have amused him but somehow his current situation has robbed him somewhat of his good humor.

He understands that he has to give his companions an explanation for his behavior and even though he'd known them less than a week he has grown to like them enough to feel bad to outright lie to them. But then again he had known those people less then a week...

"I'm not a murderer," he begins, dismissing what he thinks to be the most grim accusation. "I have never killed or even physically hurt a single person in my life, unless you count some minor brawls in my youth, from which, I might add, I certainly didn't walk away the winner." He pauses, thinking.

"Maybe I shouldn't have panicked like this. Now that I think about it I'm actually pretty sure that those guys weren't specifically looking for me anyway but my last encounter with their lot wasn't exactly pleasant and I prefer being safe over being sorry."

"You are right," he says to Fhiess. "If it hadn't been for Myressa..." His eyes glaze over and for a moment he seems to be far away. "It was she who set the Hunters on me. Back then we often used to dream of a better life. She... well let's just say that her way through life hadn't been the easiest. But that's what I loved about her. She was brave and fearless, determined. And very ambitious. I admired that." He sighed. "I still do. Even after she decided to sacrifice me for her ambition. You see, the Hunters pay rather good for information. By framing me she hoped to finally get the life she had wished for so long." Another pause. "The life that we both dreamed of together so many times..."

"Maybe I shouldn't have been so surprised. I knew she could be ruthless. I guess I just never... I guess I hoped I might have been an exception." For a moment he looks morose then his face changes to a bitter but satisfied smile. "You should have seen her face when I came to tell her that I had gotten away from the Hunters." He barks a short laughter. "If looks could kill... well, if looks really could kill I guess she needn't have attacked me." A dreamy expression washes over his face. "I think she never looked more beautiful than in that moment when she stormed at me with that dagger in her hand. Such fierceness and those piercing dark eyes..." he stopped dwelling in the memory. After a few seconds he shakes himself. "Anyway, may it be luck, may it be an uncanny talent for slipping away from tough situations, I got away once more and fled to the north. Her curses still ringing in my ears."

"But even though I got away and foiled her plans, once those Hunters have you on their list there is only one way to get off it again. And that is by a means I'd rather avoid."

He finishes his tale. "Which means that I need to think about what to do about tomorrow's performance. Though..." he rummages in his bag retrieving what looks like various face paints, dyes and even one or two fake beards. "A little masquerade might actually add something to the show." He puts on one if the beards, slightly askew. "Don't you think?" He askes in a fake deep voice that apparently he thinks works with the beard.

The elf frowns upon hearing his story, "So she abandoned you, just like that.. and then tried to end your life?" His expression depresses, "Please forgive me, Sir Sagishi, I shouldn't have asked you to bring up bad memories like that. It must be difficult to still think of a lost love despite what they've done to you, especially after so long."

Once Sagishi attempts a simple disguise, Fhiess tilts his head, "It might take more than that: a new hair style, adjusting your features- perhaps if I had a disguise kit, I might be able to figure some way to make you look different."

Nezumi

Sagishi waves his hand at Fhiess' apology. "Don't worry about it." He smiles. "I actually don't mind those memories. Seeing those fierce eyes piercing my very soul, even if it is only in my mind... A, what a fine woman my Myressa was..." He pauses, remembering something. "And I told you not to call me Sir. Sagi is just fine Sagishi if you must."

Hearing the elf's suggestions his face lights up. He quickly dumps a good deal of his bag's content before Fhiess' feet. "Take what you need and do what you want. If you're just half as good with those as you are with your brushes I absolutely trust you."

((Sagishi has some disguise kits ;) ))

"She must have been drop dead gorgeo- uh, I forget I said that. Just regular very gorgeous I mean."

He takes the conveniently adequate accessories and makeup dropped on the floor and examines them. Maybe this might be harder than he expected.

1D20 => (10) = 10

<Fhiess isn't actually proficient in disguise kits, but maybe a circumstance bonus for being an artist? I also don't know what attribute Mike_M prefers this use for the roll.>

Nezumi

((Sagishi actually is and he basically just accepted the offer because of friendliness/ laziness. I guess I can make a help roll or something.))

Keranos watches and listens to Sagishi, focusing as hard as his alchohol-addled mind can manage.

"I..." he says, swaying back and forth, his finger still pointed at Sagishi, "...I'll have to sleep on it. I seem to be having trouble thinking clearly." He careens toward the nearest bed and falls onto his stomach, his head turned toward the window and his eyes half-open.

Ludwig (and Mike M if he wants)
Ludwig hears a hoarse, deafening scream in his mind, though judging by the tone of voice it sounds like Keranos is going for a whisper and just got his wires crossed somehow. I DON'T THINK I BELIEVE HIM. STORY IS SUSPICIOUS, PROB'LY LEAVING OUT LOTSA FAX. I THINK WE SHOULD TAKE WHAT HE SAYS WITH A SALT OF GRAIN. SLEEP WITH AN EYE OPEN. AND PROB'LY A NOSE AND AN EAR TOO.

Rapidly, his eyes close and he drifts off to drunken slumber for the night.

While listening to Sagishi's explanation, Ludwig notices the hunters departing. One gets his attention by staring upwards for a moment. While there's a good chance he was just staring at the J'raffa poking his head through a window, Ludwig can't help but shake the feeling that the Hunter was sniffing out prey.

Ludwig nods along with the story. "You paint a flattering image of her, other than the whole trying to kill you to get ahead in life thing." Ludwig shudders slightly as Sagishi describes her beauty while trying to kill him and makes a note to stay far far away should Sagishi ever seem into a woman during their travels.

He looks over to Keranos, trying to hide signs of being startled by the mind shouting while letting him know it's acknowledged. Having no idea if the communication is one way or two way, he thinks at Keranos.

ThLunarian/Mike M if it's two-way:
I trust him as far as not being evil goes, I confirmed as much earlier. He is definitely leaving stuff out though. I don't see him selling us out like in his story,but a little caution is warranted.

When Keranos is asleep and the talk shifts to costumes, Ludwig decides that's a good time to speak of the foxhounds. "The hunters that gave you a scare left while you were talking, Sagi. One of them looked up here before walking off. There was a good chance he was just staring at me, but still, you might want to swap inns for the night."

If Sagishi decides that that's a good idea, Ludwig will help get him to another place, revisiting the bag trick if need be. Otherwise, he'll wait around until the others depart. When the chance is there, he asks, "I tried to wait because I assume it's more of a private matter than the evil ex you went on about and brazen disregard of your right to privacy would make me as bad as the hunters out for your head, but you never mentioned your true form in the story. Was it irrelevant to what happened?"

Nezumi

His disguise completed ((let me know if I should make a roll for that Mike)) Sagishi agrees with Ludwig that a change of tavern might be a good idea.

He is trying to get comfortable in the bag, failing miserably for the second time this day, when Ludwig startles him with his sudden inquiry.
There is a long silence from the bag. Then a sigh. "How did you know? You know what, forget it, doesn't matter anyway I guess. I left it out because as far as you guys are concerned it actually is irrelevant. You were worried whether I have done something to deserve being hunted by those people. I haven't and that is the truth. Whether it was relevant back then... well that is a different matter all together." A few moments of silence indicate that he does not want to talk more about this matter. Then, "OK, I lied before. How the hell DID you know I was, well, not entirely human so to say? Because that's really freaking me out right now. I mean if you can do it, who else might? Or is it something with your neck? Is it a super natural antenna?"

Ludwig laughs at Sagishi's inquiry. "I do have a supernatural radar of sorts, but it has nothing to do with my neck. I'm a paladin of capitalism and free markets, and my fervor to the free market has rewarded me with the ability to detect good and evil. But markets work in strange ways, so it functions more as a tuning fork for supernatural creatures. All I know is that you're some kind of angel, fey, fiend, or bizarre visitor from far off past the moons. It unfortunately doesn't do specifics."

"It also tells me you're good at heart, so I won't pry deeper if you want to keep some secrets. I just know Keranos is suspicious as all hell and knowing details were left out made me wonder a little. But yeah, as long as we don't get jumped by a bunch of those guys, it's your business and I'll leave it at that. I'm pretty sure no one else in the group knows, but if one of the hunters is a paladin, it would make tracking you a little easier."

Nezumi

((OK, then I'm gonna roll and we use KM's roll as aid?))
INT(Disguise): 1D20+3 = [7]+3 = 10
((It certainly would help...))

Sagishi laughs. "Angel from another planet? Well wouldn't that be fun." After a good chuckle he continues. "No, I'm pretty certain that those guys don't have such oddly specific yet at the same time vague tricks up their sleeves and I'm also pretty sure that their interest in you or anyone else in our party is limited to the fact that you are with me. So as long as they don't know I'm here all should be good." He remembers who he is talking to and adds. "Well, in your case they might actually be a little bit interested, but I guess you are already used to that kind of interest by now."

"Right?" Ludwig exclaims. "J'raffa rarely leave central Baglahm, so I guess I'm the most exotic thing a lot of people have seen. The curiosity is at least usually harmless. Though sometimes, people overreact. On that note, I should make sure no one confuses my neck for a giant snake for a while..."

"A Paladin of free market, hmm? I can already tell that Hogan of Hogan's Exports would be overjoyed to know about you, he is a master of business you see and innovates whenever he can. Speaking of business, you should still consider investing in artwork to circumvent easily duplicated metals," he winks.

Then he seems confused, "A being from another world? That's just as silly as the giant snake we hear about! Or my paintbrush moving on its own for that matter- I.. I kind of hope that was just a hallucination. Maybe the inn's food was tainted." He frowns. What if it was? Inexplicably placebo kicks in and he begins to feel slightly weary.

Nezumi

"How would anyone ever confuse your neck for a giant snake, is beyond me. I knew a dancer once that owned a couple of snakes, biggest ones I've ever seen, and they looked nothing like you. A lot less hairs for one and they certainly didn't have any ears or...," he thinks a moment. "Horns," he finishes with a bit of uncertainty in his voice.

Mike M

Nick N
One by one, the delegation arrives the next morning to the appointed spot, and all have arrived before the clock tolls ten bells. Barrow nods in begrudging approval. “Good, good,” he says before waving to the statue. “May all th’other delegations be so on point so we can deliver this monstrosity and go home.”

Over the night, Barrow’s humble wagon has sprouted platforms and scaffolding that surrounds the base of the now-upright statue and extends about a meter over the edges of the wagon itself. Barrow makes a show of demonstrating the quality of the craftsmanship (particularly to Ludwig) and pointing out the balance of the wooden latticework before making some comment about how it will all be covered by textile material to make it a presentable float before they join the parade.

And it is indeed a parade that is forming up in this plaza as the delegations from towns, cities, and other institutions prepare their own floats. Barrow goes over the plan; The tributes are to make a circuit through the streets of Telmur before entering through the gates of the palace to present their gifts to the king, one at a time. The delegates aren’t expected to do anything but stand--or sit, so long as they’re standing when they’re before the king--on the float and wave. Or not. Barrow doesn’t particularly care. Keranos needn’t present himself as a member of the delegation, but he’s still welcome to ride in the seat next to Barrow’s at the front of the wagon instead of fighting for a vantage spot in the masses of people.

Shortly after the scaffolding is draped in unembellished green linen, the floats at the head of the procession begins to move. The delegates mount the platform--Ludwig with little choice but to stride alongside it--as Barrow cracks the reins and sets the draft horses in motion.

The Remdormo float appears to be about average for the parade, being simple and uncomplicated despite having clearly indulged in the commissioning of the statue. There are some floats that are far more elaborate; the float immediately in front of them, for instance, looks to be some sort of ebony layer cake chased with silver, its sides lined with warped mirrors that distort the reflections of the crowd into amusing contortions as they pass by. On the top of the float, a short clown dances a mad jig as he plays a set of pipes while a series of figures wearing stilts on all four of their limbs cartwheel in time with the rolling float. The stilt characters wear masks and what appears to be a false head that makes it near impossible to tell whether they are standing right side up or upside down at each rotation. All the players wear black and white checked motley to match the monochromatic color scheme of the float.

The float behind them, by contrast, is decidedly less opulent. Indeed, they can hardly be said to have put in any expense at all: It is nothing but a wagon with some bales of hay in the bed to serve as seating, drawn by a single, scraggly-looking mare. All but one of the passengers remain seated with the hoods of their cloaks drawn tight over their heads. From this distance, it is impossible for them to hide their identities as tieflings. A red-skinned tiefling woman stands in the center, her shoulders thrown back and her chin held high in defiance. Banners reading “TELMUR TRUTH” painted in thick letters hang on either side of the wagon. The crowd is not kind to their passing, hurling invectives and garbage at them as they go by, though it’s difficult to tell if this is a response to their cryptic slogan or unrestrained disdain for their heritage. Perhaps a combination of both.

The woman withstands the gauntlet unflinching, her golden eyes blazing in the sunlight.

Keranos returns to the site of float construction with mussed hair and bags under his eyes. His posture is unusually compressed and his disposition sour.

Despite all this, he gets to work in honor of the agreement made with Barrow, and after a bit of time and a few healthy swigs from a waterskin his spirits are rejuvenated (though his hair is still mussed).

He is content to take a seat next to Barrow, observing the crowd with great interest. Keranos feels entirely in his element here, and enjoys drinking in the festive and joyous atmosphere.

His mood is sullied considerably when he realizes that the float of Tieflings nearby is being harassed by the crowd. The sight of garbage being thrown very nearly sends him into a rage.

Keranos stands and maneuvers himself around the statue toward the back of the float. For a passing moment he considers leaping between floats, but his heavy armor would make that exceedingly difficult to land properly. Instead, he climbs down from his float and climbs up onto theirs. He raises his arms and summons a strong gust of wind to surround the float, in an attempt to block, or at least deflect, incoming projectiles ((trying to use Thaumaturgy for this; seems within the realm of utility based on the spell description, but if not, I guess I'm getting pelted with garbage :) )).

His voice booms, magically amplified by divine power ((another use of Thaumaturgy)). "These people are under the protection of Keranos, God of Storms," he thunders to the surrounding crowd. "Engage them at your peril."

After a bit of friendly banter with Fheiss about getting a good return on an investment, Ludwig arrives at the meeting point for the parade. He marvels at the woodwork Barrow put into the wagon, impressed with its quality.

As the parade commences, Ludwig walks alongside the wagon, doing his part to wave at the crowd. On top of waving with his head, he occasionally makes a spectacle of standing on his hindlegs and waving with this hooves, stumbling forward a short distance before returning to all fours.

A little into the circuit, Ludwig's attention moves to the wagon behind him and Keranos's ardent protection of it. He's not so quick to intervene; the crowd has just as much of a right to voice their displeasure as the wagoners do to spread their message.

But the message of the wagon gets Ludwig's attention. "Telmur Truth" could mean any number of things. Is it the truth of guards killing people in the streets over petty crimes? The government stealing people's property through taxation and civil forfeitures? Waste of citizen money on opulence for the runners of the state?

He must know. Continuing to wave, he slows his pace a little to get near the wagon. Moving his head over close enough to speak to the tiefling, he asks "I am not from this land and am unfamiliar with the specific actions of Telmur's government. Would you mind telling me about this Telmur Truth?"

The night prior, Fhiess finds his own room at the inn to stay in. The ending hours of the night cut into time meant for sleeping to ponder the paintbrush. He trembles somewhat at the thought of it coming alive at any moment. Opting this time to keep the brush in its box, he puts himself into the bed and reaches for the ocarina to practice. However, he stares at it, never playing a note.

The morning arrives, prompting a yawn. At Bellows' call, he leaps out of the bed and rushes to get dressed, in this day adding a new fancy bard hat and a longer shawl to his attire for the occasion.

---

The day brings much excitement for the elf, watching a great audience cheer on the moving stages with vibrant characters drifting above and dancing along, all obediently matching the pace of the moving stages. This sort of exposure and spreading excitement is surely what Hogan's Exports are trying to branch out to, and it becomes more clear why Hogan has went into caravan travel and adopting entertainers.

Keranos' stunt prompts a bit of alarm. Though what he does is noble, it might cause even more chaos. The bard excuses himself and leaps onto the other float with him to talk with him for a moment to explain with a hand on his shoulder, "Keranos, the wind spell should be enough to show that the tieflings deserve your protection, but we mustn't rile them further- at least not until we've finished our business with the royalty," he suggests.

Feeling that kindness should be shown, the artist begins taking any trash that had been thrown onto the float and begins shoving it over.

Nyx gets dressed in a hurry, pushing aside questions like when she got her room and why does her head hate the light so much, as she will soon be late for the parade.

Once things get started she finds the highest place on the wagon she can, then begins waving and greeting all the people they pass by as Nook scurries around the wagon. She only stops to tell the people not to be so rude to the people behind them.

"Worry not, Fhiess," says Keranos, his eyes never leaving the crowd to look out for potential aggressors. "So long as no one is foolish enough to mount a direct assault against these people, there will be no more escalation on my part." He stares down a particularly unruly-looking onlooker who was considering throwing a bottle filled with objectionable contents their way. In the end, the man thinks better of it.

A wise decision, he projects into the man's paltry mind.

Mike M

Nick N
The tieflings seated in the cart look somewhat taken aback—if not outright shocked—at Keranos’s intercession on their behalf, moving at first as though they meant to draw steel and defend themselves before the alleged godling displayed his powers and pronounced his decree of protection upon them. Clearly, they are prepared for trouble should it come their way. The woman who stands at the head of the wagon is more impassive, retaining her regal posture and bearing, but even she quirks an eyebrow and turns her head slightly to acknowledge the unexpected boarding of their wagon.

“I thank you, young man. Your assistance is welcome, though... unexpected. It gives me hope that perhaps the prejudices of our fathers will not last forever, though I do not expect it to be within my lifetime. I would warn you, though, there is still some ways yet to go on this parade route, and unpleasant truths are rarely received warmly. I fear you will need to repeat your proclamation several more times still.”

She remains unflappable even when Ludwig addresses her as though a fucking giraffe a J’raffa addressing her were the most natural thing in the world. “I envy your ignorance, my long-necked friend, and I do not mean that as a pejorative. Your mind has not been poisoned by a lifetime of insidious aspersions and insinuations and can see things more clearly than any others here this day could claim. But in answer to your question, today I bring the king the most precious of gifts. I bring him knowledge, true knowledge. The history of this land and these peoples that is not recorded in the pages of any book inked with lies. The tales Telmur tells itself about the past may be comforting, but we cannot move forward as a society until we are ready to evaluate what our forbearers wrought openly and honestly.”

As Fhiess comes aboard makes the small wagon more crowded than it was already, the tiefling woman turns to Kearanos and offers her hand in greeting. “Chandra Selene,” she says.

The parade proceeds in fits and starts as each float reaches the front of the procession and pauses to present their gifts. During one such stop, Barrow stomps around the statue to the rear of the wagon. “Oy!” he shouts, his face red and his fists squarely placed on his hips. “Whose delegation do ye think yer on?”

Keranos gladly accepts Chandra's salutation and returns a firm handshake, never entirely taking his attention off of the crowd. "Keranos Stormblood," he replies. "A pleasure to meet you. No need for thanks; I do not take kindly to unruly mobs."

To Barrow, he calls out, "I've fulfilled my obligation for the day, near as I can tell, and there are more important matters to attend to besides!"

So saying, he nods at Ludwig and Fhiess. "As esteemed members of the Remdormo Delegation, perhaps it would behoove you..." He pauses and glances down at Ludwig's feet, stifles a laugh, and continues: "...To return to the other float. I believe I can handle things here for now. Should the need arise, I'll call on your assistance."

He turns again to Chandra. "They are capable fighters. I've seen them in combat firsthand. If trouble should find us, you can trust them."

As the float parade continues, Keranos heeds Chandra's suggestion and repeats his amplified warning every so often, to quench the mob's periodic bursts of boldness.

"I take great interest in hearing what you have to say to the King," he remarks during a tiny lull. "The history of these lands is something of a mystery to me. My..." He hesitates, choosing his words carefully. "...My memories extend only to the years I spent in a farming village, insulated from the treacheries and intrigue of civilization. It was only so many moons ago that I left that place. I have much to catch up on."

After helping to clear away the unwanted debris, Fhiess bows to the tiefling woman, "I am Fhiess Lovebliss. I hope that your meeting with the king blesses you with the respect you hope for." He then departs and returns to the original raft as Bellows demands.

Ludwig sighs. "No offense taken. I take it the state was built on the corpses of a previous people, and much of its success has been due to fucking them over? Or something like that. Sounds like a typical government to me. I hope you get through to them, I'm looking to persuade them of the error of their ways for reaching into people's lives myself."

In response to Barrow's shout, he wryly says "Why, I'm walking between the floats of course! I don't think any of them would appreciate holding my weight. But if you want me back closer, I can manage that." Ludwig has a short chuckle at Keranos's pun, and once more rears up on his hind legs, making a showing of stumbling back forward to the proximity of Barrow's float.

Nezumi

Learning that being part of the delegation meant nothing more than sitting on a cart and waving comes as a bit of an disappointment to Sagishi. On his journey he had already pictured himself performing for the king and this little track certainly didn't come close to his imagination. He decides to make the best of it and at least entertain the crowds that came to watch the parade and maybe even avert their attention from that hideous statue.

So as the cart makes its way through the streets. Sagishi flip-flops all over the it, juggling a bit here and firing up a few fire crackers there and winking seductively at the women in the crowd though he fears that his charms might meet something of an impediment in the disguise he and Fhiess have thrown together the evening before.

Caught up in his little act he wouldn't have paid any attention to the other carts if Keranos hadn't started one of his God of Storms tantrums. Though Sagishi has to admit that in this case he approves of the interference.

The mentioning of this true history of Telmur piques his interest though more because he always enjoys a good story than for any real historical reasons.

((Not sure if needed but I made a performance and acrobatics just in case.))

Performance: 1D20+5 = [15]+5 = 20

Acrobatics: 1D20+5 = [11]+5+4 = 20

<Wasn't planning on posting originally but then spur of a moment boost to Sagishi skill coming up>

Fhess returns and notices the man doing tricks. He comments cheerfully, "Keep that up and the townsfolk won't find the time to get angry at the group behind ours."

Bardic Inspiration: 1D6 => (4) = 4

Top Bottom