• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

((No need to worry; Galen will be taking this adventure into account when he fills out everyone's evaluations and performance reviews. It'll be fine.

Seriously, Fhiess, can't you at least keep your pets on a leash when in public?))

As the trio is informed that they will, in fact, be heard and the guards and secretary are sent away, Galen looks to Keranos. He has been the most direct at moving forward in this endeavor, and it seems to now be his show.

But it is Sagishi who speaks first, now even more direct than Keranos, and it seems there is no tact to be found here, only the simple statement of the way things are.

Galen nods along with Sagishi's words, and he joins in at the end. "I am afraid the entirety of our world is at risk here," he says. "If this rising calamity cannot be stopped, we can expect everything to fall into ruin: there will be nowhere safe, and nowhere to hide.

"We do understand you seek legislation to extend citizenship to your people, and we are willing to help in this endeavor. But we need also remember that the world has ceased to be as it once was: where there was a relative peace, there is now only growing turmoil, and it will consume all who yet live."

((Thank you, Ludwig, for telling everyone you want to rig the system to allow citizenship to the Underdark refugees. Or something.))

Nezumi

and it seems there is no tact to be found here, only the simple statement of the way things are.

((Yeah, wasn't it wise to leave the scholar, the diplomat and the expert in politics outside, while we send in a hot-headed boy god, a mercenary and a joker to negotiate? Best plan ever :) ))

((To be fair the scholar is a putz, the diplomat self sabotages, and the expert in politics couldn't fit through the door...

I'm sure we'll be just fine.))

((And Ludwig has a potion that'll fit him through the door. In an emergency, anyway XD))

Ludwig looks like he's about to go off on the guards, but before he can open his mouth, Fheiss snatches up the ticket and sends them on their way. He takes a few calming breaths as they walk away and says to Fheiss "That could have gone worse, I figured those swine would try and arrest us."

Ludwig gives Fheiss a reassuring pat on the back with a hoof, probably a little harder than one is supposed to do that because hoofs don't work that way. "So you suck at music, big deal! You can grit up and work to change that, but there's a bunch of ways to get good at the world, some of which you're already well on your way on. For example, when you remember what having balls means, you're probably better at working a crowd than me! And if you weren't here wanting to deescelate, there's a good chance I'd be fighting those guards right now."

((Fair enough. Our scholar's charisma is still abysmal.))
Thosar gets up once the guard has left and joins Ludwig and Fheiss. "Well, that didn't go quite as planned, hopefully the others are having better luck. I guess we should wait here in case they don't."

Nezumi

((Fair enough. Our scholar's charisma is still abysmal.))

((Sagishi's charisma isn't all that bad, but he is only proficient in deception and performance not persuasion and I couldn't come up with a good lie for him to tell (neither did I think he'd actually do that in this situation) and I doubt that Talbot would be overly impressed by his juggling. Which reminds me that I should probably add and persuasion roll to the above post... ))

"Ah, Thosar.. It really is my fault," he explains, "I had won the people over for a moment, and then I panicked when I was faced with telling a lie. The music was a last resort, and.. well, I owe a bullion's worth of gold to the city now."

Thosar nods. "Yes, the musical accompaniment may have needed some work. I think Ludwig was a bit too bold with his approach, however. Suffrage generally requires endorsement from those seeking it and maybe a bit more backing. Either way, it did at least cause somewhat of a commotion, so not all is lost.

As for the fine, I feel that is an operating expense for our endeavor. Shared among the party, the sting of it wont be so harsh."

((
Yeah, wasn't it wise to leave the scholar, the diplomat and the expert in politics outside, while we send in a hot-headed boy god, a mercenary and a joker to negotiate? Best plan ever :)
To be fair the scholar is a putz, the diplomat self sabotages, and the expert in politics couldn't fit through the door...

I'm sure we'll be just fine.
This does sound like quite the apt description of the party, to some extent; I quite like it.

Does this make Nyx a ghost?

Which reminds me that I should probably add a persuasion roll to the above post...
Yeah, I wasn't sure if you were intending to make the attempt or wait for Keranos to pick up where you were leaving off. Since you are rolling, I think we can consider what Galen said to be a -likely useless- aid attempt. You know, if it seems like something that might help in any way.

Where were these rolls when we were trying to acquire a dire wolf that we would need to keep on a leash?))

Mike M

Nick N
Talbot and Oliff listen to the tale of the crystal and the mysterious man who bequeathed it to the Endowed. With every passing detail, Oliff looks to grow more and more disquieted, but Talbot has the expression of someone being told something that she'd always known.

"Yes," she says distractedly, her eyes unfocused. "I think I understand, the dreams--These dreams I've had since this since all this occurred, I took them to be visions sent by Eilistraee. I've struggled to make sense of them since they began and how they might be linked to a, shall we say, sudden increase in my abilities. The Dark Maiden works in ways mysterious even to those of us schooled in her clergy."

Her eyes gain sudden focus as she looks to Oliff. "When is the vote scheduled?" she asks.

"Ten bells, the day after tomorrow," he replies. "But really, Vess, if so much as half of what they say is true, we should--"

Vess Talbot holds her hand up in a gentle gesture of silence. "Here are my terms," she says. "That I have been given this gift in order to save the world does not detract from the fact that it so happens to coincide when I have the greatest need of it. My congregation is lethally persecuted in the Underdark; Forgerun is the only place of peace afforded to us, but we lack formal standing in the eyes of the law and have no direct representation in the Gottermang save for the work of sympathetic actors such as Minister Oliff. A bill is before the body that will reverse this, but we face heavy opposition from multiple corners. The world may be lost if I do not relinquish this power, but if I do so at this precarious moment, my people will forever be one without a home or full rights. I accept your offer of assistance in helping me see this through to the end, and I swear upon all I hold holy that I will release what I hold regardless of the results. Oliff, what can they do?"

Oliff gives a sardonic grunt of amusement. "What can't they do? I'm having a difficult enough time whipping the vote for my own party, and our bribery funds are depleted enough to the point that you're acting as my parliamentarian! If Skullcracker were still here--or better yet, that damnable wife of his--I'd be able to focus my efforts elsewhere, but as things stand..."

With a heavy sigh, he sinks into a chair, his arms lining up almost perfectly with the worn spots in the fabric. "Be here tomorrow morning," he instructs. "I'll need time to register you and your friends as lobbyists on our behalf." He gives a passing glance out the window. "I sincerely hope those two out there have hidden talents not immediately apparent..."

Keranos's embarrassment is quickly forgotten as Sagishi spins his tale and Talbot makes clear her intent to cooperate.

In fact, having a clear problem right in front of him to solve makes him downright excited. He paces back and forth rapidly, to think.

When Oliff says his peace, Keranos stops in his tracks and peers at the man. "Skullcracker, you say?" Something about that name is maddeningly familiar to the God of Storms. Perhaps it is pure chance; perhaps it is the fact that he is one of the Endowed; perhaps it is his divine intuition returning to him (and if Keranos had to pick, he'd go with the latter), but something tells him that he needs to dig deeper into this.

He fixates his attention onto Oliff's surface thoughts. "Tell us more about this skullcracker, and do you mind if I probe a bit into your mind while you do?"

((Cast Detect Thoughts on Oliff, and if he agrees to allow it, I'll probe deeper into his thoughts as he answers. If he doesn't agree then I'll stick to reading his surface thoughts, and not tell him I'm doing so))

Werebear Ninja
((Very nice))

"Keranos," Galen says sternly, turning to look at the young maybe-god. "An interrogation will not be necessary." He then looks to Minister Oliff, speaking in a more softened voice: "But he does have a point. If Skullcracker would have been so helpful, it may be useful to know more about how. Such information could increase the chance of success in this endeavor."

((Sorry Galen had to do that; he doesn't have any idea why Keranos went straight to mind-probing, so it seems to him to be a bit much.))

Nezumi

Sagishi nods along. Finding this Skullcrusher might be their best bet at the moment.

"It might also be helpful to know who among the government are most likely to be helpful to your cause and who are the ones that are most strictly opposed. Are there any rumors or alleged scandals that might be used to discredit them? And if not, maybe such rumors might be fabricated?"

((So, two dwarfs with the same last name have mysteriously vanished from Hammerfall. One of them a woman that is good with politics...hm...I wonder...))

Mike M

Nick N
Oliff's hands fly up to his head as though it might protect him from a divine mental probe. "What? You stay out of my head, boy! Not unless you've got a warrant or subpoena!" he shouts. Then, more collected, he taps his temple with his finger and says "I've got a noggin full of state secrets, lad. Wouldn't do to have just anyone poking around in there, no it would not do at all.

"As for Skullcracker..." his voice trails off in an almost wistful sigh. "He was the most effective party whip I ever met in my century of government service. We presented a united front on every issue, every time. He'd get everyone in line no matter how intransigent they were being. Marvelous man, Skullcracker."

Oliff's face turns sour as he continues. "But then the opposition brought in a new campaign manager. She was Skullcracker's opposite in every way; Subtle where he was direct. Carrots instead of sticks. Woman instead of man. My, what a campaign season that was, I never saw Skullcracker work so hard to keep the vote in line, even as our ministers felt the pressure from their constituents seduced by her messaging. Oh, how he hated that woman, a feeling I'm sure was reciprocated.

"The outcome was a wash, in the end; the vote was split even down the middle, and neither of them came out victorious. Last I saw of Skullcracker, he was off to pay his counterpart a visit to give her a piece of his mind. Next I hear, the two have bloody eloped and left Hammerfall altogether."

Oliff shrugs. "Takes all kinds, I reckon."

Keranos:
Oliff's surface thoughts are like a slideshow of events caught in still motion of Skullcracker in action. Bullwhip at his waist, you see him in a montage of events. Standing over a cowering minister as he yells, purple-faced. Another minister pinned against the wall with Skullcracker's finger waving under his nose. Skullcracker waving his whip in a circle above his head, scattering a gaggle of ministers sitting at a tavern table and spilling ale everywhere. On the floor of a chamber like a stone amphitheater full of seats, trading blows with a figure to the raucous cheers of the onlookers.

Though he is broader of chest and narrower of gut, Skullcracker is, of course, Barrow.

Keranos snaps his fingers. "I knew it! Skullcracker is Barrow! Barrow Stonecipher!"

He takes a looks around and shuffles his feet, excited and unsure which direction to move in. "He is here, in this city!"

He looks out the window and spots Ludwig and company. Rather than shouting, he broadcasts a message into their minds.

We need Barrow's help. Can one of you go get him and tell him he has a very important mission that he and he alone can complete?

Mike M

Nick N
((Any answers to Sagishi's inquiry about some dirt on their opponents?))

((Oh yeah...))

At Sagishi's question, Oliff makes a noise that is half sigh, half chuckle. "You've the right frame of mind, my boy, I'll give you that. But you're a piercer in a cavern full of ropers in Hammerfall. Slander and fabulation are as much our stock and trade as negotiation and compromise. As for the rest of your question..."

Reaching over to a desk, he picks up a bell and gives it a ring. Almost immediately, Allicus reenters the chamber. He doesn't even attempt to hide the empty drinking glass in his hand.

Insight 10:
Holding an empty glass up to a door and pressing one's ear to it is a common method of eavesdropping on conversations in other rooms

"Yes, Minister?"

"Prepare a briefing," Oliff says, his voice gruff and commanding. "Tomorrow morning, we're going to need to give this lot a crash course on Forgerun civics if they're to be any use to us."

Allicus gives a slight bow as he slips back out of the room. "At once, sir."

Nezumi

Sagishi smiles at Oliff and shrugs. "I admit I know little of Hammerfall politics, but I have navigated through Nodoff's criminal scene for 30 years and the longer I stay here the more I get the feeling that the two appear to be different only by name."

((Rolled a 2 on insight.))

Galen begins to move to gain Keranos' attention so as to quiet him, but the boy maybe-god has already ceased his exclamations. Galen, therefore, settles back down as though nothing had happened.

((Insight:
[10]+5=15
Well, that's good to know.))

Mike M

Nick N
Oliff leaps up from his seat at Keranos's announcement, almost excited as the boy god himself. "Barrow? Barrow's in town?" He locks eyes with Vess. "By the Hector's beard, if he's willing to help, we might just have a prayer of pulling this off!"

Add Sagishi's partial revelation of his background, he stops short and arches an eyebrow. "Nodoff, you say? For 30 years?" He looks the human-form kitsune up and down. "You can't be more than, what, 13? Oh, I'm terrible at guessing human ages... But yes, if you're at all familiar with the court of the Crow King, perhaps I've underestimated your ability to be effective in this arena. Hammerfall does tend to be a bit less... murdery, I'd guess you'd say. There are just some boundaries even the least savory of us won't cross in the name of the great game."

Beaming, he turns back to Vess. "It's a miracle, Vess. I bona fide miracle."

Vess gives a very modest curtsey and wears a wry smile. "As I said, the Dark Maiden works in mysterious ways."

"Yes, but all this? Barrow returned and a squad of willing lobbyists in our precise hour of need? Hells, it's practically enough to make a believer out of me!" Oliff grunts.

Keranos makes a face. "Elistrae had minimal involvement in this at best," he says with a dismissive handwave. "If any God had anything to do with it, it would be Keranos, God of Storms, alongside his traveling companions. I would thank them over that one who prefers to hide in the shadows."

Feeling cocky, he takes an empty seat and relaxes, folding his arms behind his head. "All that's left to do now is await the return of the Skullcracker!"

Nezumi

Sagishi is surprised to see Keranos so relaxed. "You really think he'll just come? By all appearances he hates this place. I wouldn't be surprised if even Ludwig had a hard time bringing him here."

An image of an struggling and shouting Barrow dangling at his breeches from Ludwig's mouth enters his mind and he can't help but chuckle.

((And Galen shall now have to see how the immediate happenings turn out.

Nezumi, as long as he's discussing criminal activity,
Sagishi did make note of a certain red ring when the party arrived in Forgerun. I don't know if he would want to bring it up here, though.
))

Upon hearing Keranos' suggestion, he declares, "This will be a chance to show that I can still be good at talking to people starting with Barrow. I might not be able to sell the public on a candidate they'll find out won't exist, but I can still help the group any way I can!"

<Is Fhiess able to mentally respond? If so he'll ask what the important mission is>

((If Fhiess is able to mentally respond (it's not 100% clear but probably not), then Keranos would reply back with We need his help to get votes. But do NOT tell him that! Leave it vague. More likely than not, he is laying low because he doesn't want to work in politics anymore. We'll need the help of his old colleague in here to convince him. Just make it sound like he has a destiny to fulfill.))

Thosar breathes a sigh of relief, the plan seems to have work after all. "Doesn't seem like we've much left out here to do. I'll get to digging into the older bylaws that remain on the books. Perhaps there is something we could leverage to make this easier that remains obscure."

Once the party arranges, he makes for the records department to begin searching records, legal statutes, and trial opinions for examples of providing outside individuals or refugees with sufferage.

investigation: 1D20+5+1D4 = [16]+5+[1] = 22

Fhiess nods understood! I'll do my best to lure him into destiny, then make it hard to escape.

With a smirk, he walks up next to Ludwig with a sudden surge of enthusiasm- a sense of hope, even, "I believe we've found our savior of the people after all! The very man that will listen to the voices of the people happened to be imprisoned in the inn room this whole time."

He starts to jog, and then stops, "But we can't let him know! We'll just tell him that it's his destiny to join us in our quest to save the world."

((Yeah, I didn't expect Sagishi to bring it up randomly at this exact time. Just wanted to make you remembered because it seems to be something Sagishi would.

If Thosar is waiting for the group to reassemble, and nothing else comes up, Galen is likely to attempt to help with his research, though, he will also want to take into account Sagishi's longbow training if such arrangements can be made. It seems the trio inside may be waiting for Barrow to arrive, though, so I'm not about to guarantee Galen will be able to join Thosar.

Mike, just to check, but did you get my message a few days back? I figure it's likely you did, but I just want to make sure.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Hm, not sure if responses are allowed for the mental communication thing. I don't thiiiiiiink so? Do we know specifically what ability we're using so I can look it up when I get home?))

Thosar's researching doesn't turn up particularly much. As far as settled case law is concerned, there's not really any precedent for the granting refugees franchise in the election process. And the refugee situation is not a new one, he discovers; For decades, Hammerfall has hosted a very sizable community of Drow belonging to a religious minority that is heavily persecuted by the predominate faith of the dark elves. They have always had advocates on their behalf, but have never been able to partake directly.

The thoughts and legal opinions on the subject are quite varied; There are contingents that want nothing more than a total isolationist policy, barring the entrances to all of Forgerun to anyone but those who are already citizens and their descendants. Another is, shall we say, quite expansionist in its outlook, advocating that Forgerun actively start annexing the parts of the surface world nearest their cities. Within that group is a further division between those that want to relegate the surface dwellers to non-voting residents of the proposed Greater Forgerun Empire, and those that are more generous and willing to extend some level of participation in their governance. And, as Oliff represents, there are those that would freely offer citizenship to any who ask and stand against notions of military campaigns of conquest.

Overall, they seem to be paralyzed by disagreement into neither allowing citizenships, nor invading Telmur.

((I don't remember the name but it's a Warlock class feature. I think it comes with choosing the Great Old One patron, if that helps. Can't look it up right now))

Mike M

Nick N
((I'm going to allow the two way communication, since the class feature description is silent on the matter. We'll fudge the 30ft line of sight restriction in this instance and just assume Keranos went to a window and they were in range.

Fhiess can absolutely go get Barrow.))

((A bit late responding here, but I'll see if I can squeeze in some research requests with Thosar too before he separates off from Fheiss and Ludwig))

An important mission? For Barrow? I'm not sure I understand, but yeah, we'll get him over here.

When Thosar mentions looking into bylaws, Ludwig perks up. "Ooh! Can you look into some banking and lobbying law for me while you're at it? I'd like to know if it's legal for chamber members to place bets on legislation. It would also be good to know if a lobbyist or a specially made group can bet on legislation. Oh, and for corralling enough chamber people more easily, can you find out if it's possible to delegate how money gets paid out to people, either on the reward accepting end or the hitting the bank account end?"

It is when Fheiss comes up to Ludwig brimming with hope that some dots connect. "Wait, Barrow's our man of the people? That doesn't make any- OH! He must have political history here or something, that's why he's trying to lay low! Ok then, let's go get him discreetly"

And so, the 18 and a half foot tall quadruped and the musically challenged bard set off to try an exercise in discretion.

Whenever the pair returns to the inn room, Fhiess heads to Barrow as quickly as he can with various equipment of seemingly random uses in his arms. He tosses them onto the edge of the bed and begins pleading with him, "Ah, Barrow, sir! I know that it must be hard for you being in this city, but we are in need of another hero in our ranks! We are about to make another breakthrough in our great quest and we've realized that it would be wrong not to allow you a part in it."

Persuasion: 1D20+3+2 => (16 + 3 + 2) = 21

On the bed are a sword, crossbow, and some pages ripped from one of his brochures. "I've brought you some weapons, and some magical scrolls." He then introduces a kitten that he brought with him, "And this is.. uh, a wizard's familiar."

Mike M

Nick N
As Keranos seems to make himself at home in Oliff's office and casually brush aside Vess's thanks to her divine patroness and insist the credit is due to himself, the priestess's jaw tightens noticeably as she clenches her hands into fists.

She holds her peace on the matter, though, and does not press the issue.

#

Thosar's researches on Ludwig's behalf reveals some... unique characteristics of the legislative process in Forgerun. Not only are votes openly bought and sold on the open market, but there seems to be hardly any regulations or ethical guidelines in place at all. Individual legislators may only bet on bills before other chambers, but that is about the extent of it. Bribery and graft are openly acknowledged to be rampant, but the fact it is so prevalent results in a strange sort of equilibrium where the efforts of one agent are likely countered by those of another. Not every minister is likely to be receptive of the idea of selling their vote on the floor for a price, but there's nothing prohibiting it. Indeed, as Oliff mentioned in passing, it is not at all unusual for political parties to have funds set aside specifically for the practice.

#

Barrow stares at the random assortment of objects that Fhiess has strewn across the bed while Peaseblossom claps her hands to her cheek. "How exciting!" she squeals, flitting this way and that above the confused kitten's head, effortlessly evading its attempts to swat her with its tiny paw. "What will we name it? How about... Barrow!"

"Whaaaaaat?" moans Barrow. "That be my name, ye daft pixie lunatic!"

Peaseblossom scratches her head, a confused expression falling over her features. "I thought you were Bartholomew Plantcorner now?" she says. "I just thought the kitty could be Barrow since you weren't using the name anymore."

Barrow can only manage apoplectic sputtering. "That's not how--that's not what--you can't--now see--"

"Oh, I suppose if you're Barrow again, he can be Bartholomew Plantcorner! Though won't that make the nice lady with the pen and the big book terribly confused?"

Barrow's face is a shade of red usually reserved for sunsets or the blood of one's enemies spilled on the ground. After a long, exaggerated sigh, he drags his hands down his face as though his frustration is something physical he might peel off his skin.

When he finally turns to Fhiess, he seems to have collected himself somewhat. "Of course," he mutters. "What else could be expected? Whatever task be set before th'Endowed, it only stands t'reason that all of us be involved!"

He grabs his traveling cloak and throws it over his shoulders. "Forgive me, lad," he says as he fastens the sword at his hip before hiding it under the fabric of the cloak. "I don't know what I be thinking, leaving the hard work to you lot. Why, I wager I be more powerful than ever, practically standing in Old King Hector's hearth as I be! Just lead the way."

Hood hiked over his head to blend in and not call attention to himself, Barrow follows Fhiess alongside the impossible-to-miss J'Raffa while Peaseblossom amuses herself by making glowing lights dance above the dwarf's head.

Once he has answers, Thosar gets back to Ludwig to relay his findings. "Well, it looks like the system is entirely amoral. Graft and bribery are entirely fair game with only one rule to follow... Legislators can't bet on bills in their own chamber."

Fhiess can hardly contain his laughter at the antics between Barrow and the pixie. "Bartholomew is a great name for the cat, if you ask me!"

With success in convincing Barrow to come along, the Bard informs, "Ludwig should be just outside. He'll be able to take us where we need to go."

((
And so, the 18 and a half foot tall quadruped and the musically challenged bard set off to try an exercise in discretion.
Well, that sounds doable. At least nobody decided to take on an exercise in futility yet.
He then introduces a kitten that he brought with him, "And this is.. uh, a wizard's familiar."
This kitten is sticking around, yes? In honor of your name?
Hood hiked over his head to blend in
Well, the party was discussing a wig...

Anyway, Galen currently has nothing worth doing besides look at Keranos incredulously as though he could either ask "are you really?" or state "of course you would." It's actually quite the situation.))

((Self imposed Insight roll: [12] + 4 = 16))

Keranos senses a shift in the mood of the room and locks eyes with Miss Talbot. He lowers his arms and stands up again, brushing himself off, more as a symbolic gesture than to remove anything from his clothing.

"My apologies," he says with sincerity, keeping her gaze, but occasionally glancing to Oliff as well. "I... We, rather. We have encountered many hardships and few victories these past weeks, so when it appeared that things were finally turning around, I was caught up in the moment. I forgot where I was, and though it is no excuse, I hope you can forgive me for forgetting myself and taking advantage of your hospitality."

He deliberately avoids speaking of Elistrae, hoping that Talbot will either forget about it, or at least forgive him for it without mention. For the rest of his time in the office, he will be more cognizant of his surroundings and try not to look too comfortable.

Mike M

Nick N
((Ludwig went with Fhiess, right? If there's no action/input from him, we'll fast forward a bit and get the band back together.))

((Yup. Not much to add other than responding to Thosar, so I'm good with jumping forward.))

"I don't know about that, it seems pretty morally bold to me that they wouldn't try and fetter the speech value of money with incessant regulations. Though I guess they came up a bit short by not letting them bet on legislation in their own chamber. Still, that's exactly what I needed to know! Thanks Thosar! Now, if I do get a chance to try my idea, all I need to do as an initial step is make an account for The Foundation of Liberty and Prosperity. Guess we should see how this business goes first, though."

Mike M

Nick N
Vess seems to relax a bit at Keranos's heartfelt apology. She closes her eyes and nods her head slightly. "I appreciate your words, young sir," she says. "I know only too well the sort of excitement that devotion as deep as our own can foster when we see evidence of the gods' plans being enacted all around us."

It is not long after that Fhiess returns with Barrow in tow. The dwarf seems more dour than usual, as apparently the heroic quest that Fhiess said required his assistance is not measuring up to what he had pictured in his head. He's hardly had a moment to step across the threshold and open is mouth to voice his annoyance when Oliff is upon him, sweeping him up in a rib-crushing bear hug.

"Barrow!" he exclaims. "You old Skullcracker, you've returned! And just when I've never had need of you more!"

"Oliff," Barrow wheezes, tapping his old associate on the arm. "Oliff... can't breathe..."

"Of course, of course," the minister says, releasing Barrow from his grip. Barrow's face doesn't exactly match Oliff's smiling expression. He softens a bit, however, when he is brought up to speed and it is explained to him how he really is needed, just not in the sword-swinging, spell-slinging capacity.

Peaseblossom, meanwhile, is endlessly enchanted with Vess's dark features. "What happened to your faaaaaaaaace?" she asks repeatedly, prodding the drowess's face with a petite pixie finger. Vess must possess the patience of a glacier carving through a mountain, for she endures the fairy's attentions with hardly a reaction or comment.

With weary resignation, Barrow sinks into the nearest seat. "Alright," he says, "I'll do it fer old time's sake. But then I be movin' on! I've got t'lead this lot north to whatever dire evil awaits us at th'end of that beam of light."

"Whatever you require," Oliff says.

"Very well," Barrow sighs. "Let's start with th'current whip count. I'll be needing th'party rolls, too. Dossiers of anyone who's not puttin' their all behind the party. Need t'know where to apply th'most leverage to get them t'change their minds, if ye catch my meaning."

Turning to the Endowed, he says, "You lot may as well head back t'the inn and get some sleep. I foresee a late night gettin' all these wee ducks into a row, and yer gonna wish you got sleep when you could when we start you off advocating t'the other chambers."

Once Barrow is aboard and in lobbying mode, Ludwig pipes in. "The free market works in mysterious ways indeed! I was actually looking into this legislation myself as part of a test on how open to market forces the gambling and voting system is here. Do you know which chamber we're getting put on? From what I could tell, the Chamber of Lunus of the House of Targus and the Chamber of Ance of the House of Pandam are the ones already pushing it, so another chamber in each house would do it, right? But now that the stakes are higher, I'm not sure if it's that simple though, and I don't know if I would have time to set up The Foundation of Liberty and Prosperity in order to take "donations" from each chamber member and make a fixed bet on their behalf."

Top Bottom